• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't own a Wii U - These are the load times people complain about

Darryl

Banned
I'm annoyed at the "First world problems" responses in the video. If I spend $350 on a console that runs on 6 year old hardware it better at least have a lightning quick OS.

i assume it is not that easy to make a lightning quick OS as it took Google about 5 years before Android was buttery smooth

Satchel

Banned
My downloads aren't too bad. I use the Ethernet adaptor though.

Installs are painful and the time between basic menus is ridiculous.

Burai

shitonmychest57
i assume it is not that easy to make a lightning quick OS as it took Google about 5 years before Android was buttery smooth

Android's only problem was a lag of a few milliseconds between you touching the screen and the UI responding.

At no point did you have to wait 30 seconds for your email to open or wait a minute to go back to the home screen.

Darryl

Banned
Android's only problem was a lag of a few milliseconds between you touching the screen and the UI responding.

At no point did you have to wait 30 seconds for your email to open or wait a minute to go back to the home screen.

it takes 30 seconds to boot the console into a game with a profile select. the average menu transition is like 5-6 seconds. opening the e-store takes a whopping 10 seconds from click to load.

dysonEA

After watching this vid of the punch out install, I went and downloaded it and installed it. Took only a couple seconds to install. No where near as long as what was shown in the vid. Was installed to to my external hard drive too.

I definitely experience slow speeds on the Wii U though not quite that slow. It's still disappointing how sluggish the OS is considering how simplified it is.

That update will help once it comes. But I've been playing it today and it really wasn't that bad. I think we just got so impatient with tablets and fios. It's really not that bad I think.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

exactly. Which makes me wonder why Nintendo even bothered trying to build their own in-house OS, rather than contracting Google or some other company to do it for them. They should have been focused on designing games, not building an operating environment.

Hermii

At least when the speed updates arrive no matter if its still pretty slow, people will think that its fast cause of how much faster it is. They launched it with a lot of room for improvement and thats something.

Rootbeer

Banned
Spring Wii U update can't come fast enough... I'd enjoy using my Wii U and miiverse a lot more if things opened and closed a lot faster. the way things are now, I feel like I'm using a computer from the mid 90s... where even opening a web browser took a while. And then when you were done using it, you had to actually wait for it to close all the way and free up that ram... god... i'm soooo glad those days are behind us. Except, I guess they aren't, since the Wii U is almost like the second coming of that experience.

I love Louis C.K. and I don't blame people for bringing up that bit or other "first world problems" references, but it's really dismissive to deny the shortcomings of the Wii U compared to other devices coming out in 2012/13. People shouldn't be expected to just sit back and say "well, could be slower..." No. I think Nintendo should be held accountable for not living up to the expectations of the day. Every person who paid $350 is entitled to their say.

synce

Any chance this mess can be fixed with an update? Is it just shitty coding or hardware limitations?

glaurung

Any chance this mess can be fixed with an update? Is it just shitty coding or hardware limitations?
Nintendo promised an OS speed-up update back in 2012. It was supposed to be launched in the second half of December.

Then it got pushed back to "Spring 2013" and we are still waiting for it.

Talk about a messianic update.

Nintendo promised an OS speed-up update back in 2012. It was supposed to be launched in the second half of December.

Then it got pushed back to "Spring 2013" and we are still waiting for it.

Talk about a messianic update.

That's a misreading. They promised the update back in December, but gave no date for that update. They then said the update would come in Spring when they had that big Wii U Direct.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is slightly tangential, but one of the reasons I was so excited about the original Wii was because I got the impression Nintendo would do more to distance themselves from the 5 year hardware cycle, since their main message with the console was "it's about software more than anything".

I also figured they'd support it longer than they did their previous efforts seeing as it was by far the most successful. For better or for worse, I was wrong. But the fundamental problem of having a 5 or 6 year cycle remains, and of the big three manufacturers, Nintendo suffer from it the most. Not only because they are the smallest company with the most limited resources in terms of manpower, but also because they have to support both a handheld and a console at any given time.

This leaves me quite surprised that they would want to continue going in this direction. For a games company to spend two out of every five years focusing a substantial part of their efforts on hardware development, OS development and so on, there should come a time when they realize it's interfering with their main business.

Ideally, Nintendo should always have 90% of their (development) manpower working on new games, but it seems lately they have to devote more and more time to planning and developing hardware, infrastructure, peripherals, OSs, system updates, updating emulators for VC etc, when these are all things the majority of consumers will basically take for granted.

this is thread is clearly summed up in this 12 minute bit. enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Gcxb-6DNE
We live in a first world country. Every problem we have is a first world problem, making this meme completely pointless.

As technology advances, so do our standards. If my water stops running, you could just as easily say, "DURHURR First World Problems", so let's stop with this "First World Problems" BS, okay?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can someone explain why it takes so long to change the language??? It's so slow.

Hang on--I just asked my Wii U. I'll get back to you in 7 minutes with the answer.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I like my Wii U but it annoys me daily with how slow it is. "First world problems" all you want but the bottom line is that its the slowest piece of electronics I own. If Nintendo and their fans are content with how things are that's fine but don't expect most people to enjoy it

Also, I owned the first android phone and the Wii U is much worse, its laughable anyone would even make that comparison.

I'm not hopeful the spring update will fix much. If the Wii U is the slowest thing I own than the 3DS is the second slowest. But whatever, that's just how Nintendo's stuff is these days

kinggroin

Banned

No it wasn't.

But this is true.

Rikkun

Also, the console has been out for.. what, 4 months?
I want to finish ZombiU Nintendo, but the only thing I can stand is buying your 30 cent games and the putting down the pad for a month. It really makes me sad that I had no money for 2 months to buy this piece of crap.

No need to be so angry for a question guys. I though someone knew the answer or maybe had an idea of why could be that. I think it could be that the wiiu sends the gamepad the language files everytime you change it abd that's why it is slow.

We live in a first world country. Every problem we have is a first world problem, making this meme completely pointless.

As technology advances, so do our standards. If my water stops running, you could just as easily say, "DURHURR First World Problems", so let's stop with this "First World Problems" BS, okay?
i think you missed the point of it all. this is funny thing that people take way too seriously. just calm down and enjoy what you have. also trying to compare running water(which is a life necessity) to a video game console (an object you can go your entire life without) is comparing apples to oranges.

SmokyDave

I tell you one thing, it's pretty jarring after predominantly gaming on the Vita for a while. Feels like I need another console to play while I wait for the Wii-U to catch up.

Technically the Wii U is using modern parts
Technically the Wii U is using 6 year old level tech.

The WiiU seems to me like what the Wii should have originally been, a console technologically equal to the competition. The gamepad feels like an add-on like the Move or Kinect. I do like the console, but all the third-party distancing and lack of Nintendo announcements (what is wrong with telling people you're working on something? Of course, this is assuming that Nintendo is actually working on Mario Golf, Wario, etc.) puts it back on the 2nd tier.

I had to move my WiiU from a shelf of my a/v unit to the outside, just to get it to connect to my router which is 7 feet away. That is ridiculous, particularly when it should have great wireless capability to maintain constant communication with the gamepad (which works...acceptably in most circumstances, but isn't stellar).

Top Bottom