• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who swore off Xbox after DRM/Kinect: Did the Xbox One X convince you to jump in?

Did the Xbox One X convince you to jump in?

• Total voters
The focus on DRM early this generation caused quite a stir, and while they had a good launch and did a 180 on most of the policies, they still had an influence on the console design. not only was the console $500 and included Kinect which was the original intention, but the console was weaker than the competition.

Several people stood on the side-lines watching Xbox post 2014 with the S initially getting some to consider jumping in. But the change in direction for Microsoft came to a head with the Xbox One X, which has gotten many people to jump on board the Xbox train at long last.

So for those who HAD NOT brought an Xbox this gen due to the early DRM policies, the Kinect Inclusion, the $500 price point, or other reasons, did you jump-in with the Xbox One X? Did the new direction of Microsoft, along with enhanced BC, and releasing the most powerful console known to man, get you to finally jump-in on Xbox? And if so, what games have you been enjoying taking advantage of its capabilities?

(this also applies to those who jumped out earlier and then jumped back-in when the Xbox One X came out as well.)

module_5_blockbusters.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I had an Xbox One from day one. I was saavy enough to know they got rid of DRM prior to launch. I also remembered the support we got for Xbox 360 during RROD, in which my experience with it was excellent. So I trusted that they would correct any misteps. For the most part they have delivered. I did end up upgrading to an Xbox One X. Couldn't be happier with the system. I mainly play 3rd pt games and wanted the best version of those games. The X delivered PC quality graphics with reasonable frame rate options. All for $500, that's a steal by any measure today. Don't believe me, the 1080ti around that time was upwards of $800...nuff said.

I had an Xbox One from day one. I was saavy enough to know they got rid of DRM prior to launch. I also remembered the support we got for Xbox 360 during RROD, in which my experience with it was excellent. So I trusted that they would correct any misteps. For the most part they have delivered. I did end up upgrading to an Xbox One X. Couldn't be happier with the system. I mainly play 3rd pt games and wanted the best version of those games. The X delivered PC quality graphics with reasonable frame rate options. All for $500, that's a steal by any measure today. Don't believe me, the 1080ti around that time was upwards of $800...nuff said.

Glad to hear about your positive 360 experience transferring to the One. Some people are mixed on the RROD.

xbox has abaoned the one and they haven't released a worthwhile exclusive since sunset overdrive. now that they will put all their stuff on pc. am just gonna simply build a gaming pc in the next couple years to play next gen xbox stuff. i have no reason to buy an xbox. if Sony did the same i wouldnt buy a playstation either. why would I? it would be cheaper to just buy one gaming pc

After spending so much money related to the RROD in college I was wary of Xbox and never really got back on board because by that time PS3 had hit it's stride and then the PS4 came out. That being said I am a subscriber to Game Pass and enjoy the play anywhere titles on my PC so i'm hoping to see more of that in the next gen.

fallingdove

Had an Xbox One at launch. Ended up selling the console for a Switch. -Have come to believe that Microsoft’s strength is in producing great hardware and services and not necessarily great video games. Unfortunately, that is a less interesting proposition when I have fewer hours each week to play video games and online multiplayer isn’t my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Nope. Still horrible long installs/patches, huge patches, it's a brick without online etc.

And I think the controllers besides the battery life are garbage, buttons stick in my experience.

Outrunner

No. I didn't get in the hate train and I actually bought an Xbox One two years after release, just to end up selling it 1 year after. What pisses me off about Xbox One is the lack of games that justify the console.

They didn't improve their software output, with hardly any exclusive games of note releasing for the entire lifespan of the system (IMO of course) so I don't see a need to jump back in. All the XOne X does, is run multiplats a bit better than on PS4. If that was important to me, I'd just build a powerful PC.

SaucyJack

I haven’t bought an X Box One although I had both previous Xboxes. Main reason is games ........ there just aren’t enough games that I can’t play elsewhere (I have PS4 plus PC) to justify the cost, I’m just not going to pick one up for the 2 or 3 games I feel I’m maybe missing out on.

K.N.W.

As soon as it was clear that most exclusives would land also on PC, I sold my X1, and never looked back. X1X isn't as powerful as my pc <3

VAL0R

Banned
I've been an Xbox fan from the beginning. The Mac World footage of Halo amazed me. So when MS bought Bungie, I started following Xbox. Loved my OG Xbox. Loved my 360 even more. I was very disappointed by the Xbox One launch and ended up selling my One and going gameless for a year or two. Then I decided to give the X1X a try.

X1X is awesome and the best console I've ever owned and Game Pass is just a ridiculous value for endless great games. I'm floored by the service so far.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Even split. I remember those saying the X wouldn't do much but it has generated a lot of good will since it came out.

It pushes the industry forward, and it brought consoles and PC closer together. There's no denying that. I have conspiracy theory though that all this consumer friendliness is just trying to bring gaming as a whole closer to PC, where Sony has less influence. It's kinda like bringing the game to home court. Windows unequivocally runs the PC market. Mind you, not even close when it comes to the PC gaming market. A lot of the moves being made by Microsoft seem to support this theory. All in all I'd bet my tinfoil hat that this is actually not the case. At least in public they seem, somewhat dismissive of Sony.

MayauMiao

So for those who HAD NOT brought an Xbox this gen due to the early DRM policies, the Kinect Inclusion, the $500 price point, or other reasons, did you jump-in with the Xbox One X? Did the new direction of Microsoft, along with enhanced BC, and releasing the most powerful console known to man, get you to finally jump-in on Xbox? And if so, what games have you been enjoying taking advantage of its capabilities?

module_5_blockbusters.jpg

To me its too late for this gen. I already invest so much with my PS4 and we're so close to next gen why bother jump in now? The lack of compelling exclusives (to me) on the Xbox is also another big factor, not mention some of it can be bought on the PC anyway.

Maybe will jump in with Xbox Two if Sony fucks up royally with the PS5 and MS actually produce more exclusive games.

NickFire

No, but it came really close on multiple occasions. The machine itself grabs my attention. Just too late in the cycle to warrant investing in the eco-system when I have a deep PS library already. If money were no object I would have one though.

sn0man

No. I was very close and a friend bought an x1s in anticipation of me getting the x1x. Upon trying to play on his x1s I realized that MS still requires an online connection in order to create a profile and it requires an online connection for the initial setup.

These two practices are not present on my PS4 or my Switch. To me MS didn’t go far enough away from their drm stance at the beginning of the generation.

Love my X1X. Play it almost exclusively now.

Can't wait for Pillars of Eternity 2 Complete Edition, Kingmaker, and Grim Dawn (complete edition likely) on X1X.

I have over 40 games on it now, not including GWG or Game Pass.

quickwhips

I went playstation beginning of this gen but after gears came out I bought and Xbox and didn’t look back. I prefer the multiplayer games of Xbox compared to the single player player of ps4. Literally when last of us charged for guns I knew playstation didn’t understand even when they had a great multiplayer game.

Komatsu

What convinced me to get a XBONE X (still haven't got round to it) was the backwards compatibility. The PS4 is just a disappointment in that arena - it's the only console Sony ever put out that won't even play PSOne games. After they got RDR1 working and enhanced, Witcher 2, Fable II and, above all else, Panzer Dragoon Orta, that's when I decided to jump in.

-MD-

Where's the poll option for I own a PC and play consoles, just not Xbox since I already have access to all the games.

Blood Borne

I’m still of the opinion that price and games hurt the Xbox One more than the DRM scandal. Launching an expensive console that was weaker and no must have games did not help.

I still haven’t got an Xbox One, I personally find its library awful.

Toe-Knee

Nope. The only thing that can convince me is the one thing they haven't delivered.

Games that are interesting to me (OK they have one with so) that I can't already play on my PC or ps4

pickleslips

It's an incredible console, and if it wasn't for the PS4s exclusives, I would have bought one. I just got my PS4 last year, and considered it pretty seriously

Pantz

Gold Member
Sort of. I wasn't interested in the Xbox One PS4 or the Wii U when they came out. Cost vs the small jump in quality was the biggest turn off for me.

My Xbox One X purchase is owed mostly to my 4K HDR TV and my PS4 Pro. It was the perfect storm of being curious about a TV upgrade and being curious about the PS4 Pro and finding a super deal on a KS8000 TV which had good buzz around it. I really loved the jump to 4K screen, even with older games. So then the Xbox One X was said to be more powerful and reports were that 3rd party titles would play better on it than on PS4 Pro and that's what convinced me to get one.

Still playing those exclusives on PS4 Pro, but everything else + backwards compatibility on Xbox One X.

dottme

I’ve seen them changing their direction for some time.
I have a PS4 pro since release and I jumped and bought an Xbox One X recently.

The hardware is good but the software is bad.
-> the OS UI is awful for me. It’s flooded with tons of stuff I don’t care and let just a little place for the games.
-> the exclusive game for Xbox One are rarissime.

But at least, there is some good Xbox 360 games for me to play. But for some reason those games don’t support the resume functionality so it take way too much time to start them. :(

Soi can of jumped in and bought an Xbox One X, but I don’t think I want more Xbox for next generation as I’m disappointed with what I’ve got.

My option was not there.
I refused to buy Xbox one at launch because of the obvious reasons, but I bought one when MCC released for my lad and me.

I've tinkered with MCC because.. yeah it's MCC and was fucked until only recently, the only other game I've played was Subnautica early access.

X has not changed my mind on this machine, the UI is utter shit the exclusive games are none existent and the store can fucking do one.

If the X supported Vive I'd of been all over that shit as my pc struggles with VR.

I voted no.
I have a beefy gaming PC as well as other consoles. I don't play online very often. I deliberately keep a very modest friends list. Those friends are on other platforms.
I have a backlog spanning generations. So always have something I want to play, even if I don't have current hardware.

If a console is $300, I tend to wait until there is $300 worth of games specific to that platform that I really want to play.
I have a few cherished IPs that sway that decision. For example, knowing Metroid Prime 4 is on its way compelled me to invest in a Switch.

Ywap

PC only. Can not stand 30 fps.

But still, Xbox one x is an impressive product for those who can rock at that framerate.

Vetro

As long as the "exclusives" are coming to PC i can't see myself pay for the Xbox One X.
But damn, i really miss the PS360 times.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I picked one up over the holidays on a cheap eBay sale - came with a bunch of games, a controller I already had, and I was also upgrading my UHD player, so after selling those I got an Xbox One X in great condition for £125 ($160ish) which is an absolute steal.

That completes the set now, I'm a full idort (PS4 pro, high end PC, Switch, now this). Game Pass is really neat and is allowing me to play a bunch of games I missed as a Playstation player (Halo, Gears, Forza) and also try out some stuff I'd never usually bother with (The Divison, Hellblade). The UI is fucking awful but I only use it for games and UHDs so it's hardly an issue. Design itself is sleek, quiet as a mouse, good controller.

I'll still always be primarily PS4 and PC, but it's nice to have this on the side for old exclusives and slightly better third party performance. Now they just need to put out more new games, which it seems they're lining up to do in the next few years.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Which you also could've played on your high end PC.

For sure, it's not the reason I bought the thing, I mean for people without PCs.

mejin

It's all about the games, not hardware or services. It seems MS is doing hard work, but it's clear they are focused for the next gen, not this gen. So, I'll wait the games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's all about the games, not hardware or services. It seems MS is doing hard work, but it's clear they are focused for the next gen, not this gen. So, I'll wait the games.

The way things are looking, the services are bringing players more games for a lower price. Game Pass is the prime example of this. So unless you like paying 60 bucks for all your AAA exclusives, you can't really ignore the services altogether. It simply does not make fiscal sense.

By your logic, you wouldn't care if God of War was developed and released on the PS3. I'm going to assume when you say it's all about the games, you mean you want quality games at a reasonable price. You don't get that without hardware and services nowadays.

Last edited:

Acestanley

Neo Member
I was a huge xbox fan before this gen. I loved the OG Xbox and the 360 was my main console. That E3 soured me in the same way the ps3’s first E3 did. It didn’t help that ps4’s showing was amazing at the time. I don’t regret not getting one, but considered it a few times when it was attached to really good deals.
Ultimately, it’s too similar to ps4 to justify the money gamewise, and the exclusives always seemed like watered down versions of games that were great on the 360. If they come correct on the next iteration, I’d consider it, but the ship has sailed on the One for me

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This poll is actually not too bad Astro, though still not necessary. I picked up a One X for the performance and Game Pass. I have not been disappointed.

I was with many at the start of this gen and was disgusted by what MS was doing. Now, I am all in and can't wait to see what they offer next.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
companies are not your " friend " i either buy it or not.
if they change after a big fuck up and fix their shit i buy it

or not

Mochilador

I bought the original Xbox One as soon as they reverted the policies. When they announced them I refused to buy their console, shit was ridiculous.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm very much a "What have you done for me lately?" type of consumer. I don't hold many brand loyalties and if someone comes along with a product I like more I jump ship.

Fbh

They have done a good job turning things around this gen and purely hardware wise the 1X is definitely the best console thing gen and, honestly, what I wish the PS4 pro would have been.

But ultimately I mostly care about the games and with all their exclusives now launching on PC I see no reason to own an Xbox

dolabla

They have come a long way since that abortion of an announcement. When it was first announced, I said I would never get an Xbox One. Now, they have definitely won my support back. Things like releasing the X, backwards compatibility, etc. They have changed for the better with Phil Spencer. And it's why I bought an X last year.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I primarily game on PC so tbh I see no reason to get an X. BUT I do like what Microsoft is up to and am interested in their next console.

Last edited:

mejin

The way things are looking, the services are bringing players more games for a lower price. Game Pass is the prime example of this. So unless you like paying 60 bucks for all your AAA exclusives, you can't really ignore the services altogether. It simply does not make fiscal sense.

By your logic, you wouldn't care if God of War was developed and released on the PS3. I'm going to assume when you say it's all about the games, you mean you want quality games at a reasonable price. You don't get that without hardware and services nowadays.

It doesn't work if the games I want to play are not there. That's why I said the importance of the games, maybe I should be more specific: new games. Or even more, japanese games.

for example, in 2018, several of the games I enjoyed weren't in gamepass: Ni no kuni 2, Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Quest XI, 428 Shibuya Scramble, The Last Remnant, RDR2, Tetris Effect, Monster Hunter World, Dragon Ball FighterZ etc. I'm not even talking about sony exclusives which I also played or older games from 3rd party there are not on gamepass either. Heck, the best games of 2018 are not on gamepass, at least the ones winning GotY.

This is a trend that will continue this year. Just this month I'll get Tales of Vesperia, KH 3 and RE2 Remake. Anthen, Metro, Sekiro, DMC 5 for the next months. None on gamepass.

Does it bother me PS4 Pro has a worse hardware than X? Not at all. It's not like the 3rd party games are unplayable on it.

Also, you have to consider the promotions. It's far easier to get what you want without paying full price and time is precious, at least in my case. I actually prefer to buy what I really want to play when I want to play instead of pay for a selection of games people are choosing for me. Of course, that's just me (although I don't believe I'm the only to think this way) and that's what I meant for my original post.

Justin9mm

Sony Fanboy here..

Xbox made it very easy to justify buying the PS4 at launch, upgraded to Pro.
Never really had an Xbox, did borrow an OG Xbox for a long time to play Halo once back in the day.
A friend gave me a 360 late in it's cycle, the UI and loading times made me want to smash it with a baseball bat.
Had an opportunity to pick up an X for cheap last year.
Now I exclusively play the X for Multiplat games, it's a beast and GamePass is a gamechanger.
Still shitty UI though.
I guess you can say the X did convince me to jump in and Microsoft now has my attention going into next gen.

mortal

Gold Member
I love the fact that Microsoft offers the X as an option, I'm also a huge fan of the Elite Controller. One of the best feeling controllers I've ever held tbh.

However, I never felt particularly compelled by the exclusive library of the XB1. If they can greenlight some more intriguing IP next gen, I'd be happy to "jump in"...

Last edited:
Top Bottom