• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those without one, Would you buy or switch to Xbox One if Microsoft offered free-online?

Would you buy or switch to the Xbox One if online access was free?

• Total voters
Right now all three of the console makers are offering you online play and access to certain online features only if you pay a fee. For Sony and Nintendo this has become over time slightly more of a necessity, but for MS their service model and cash safety net makes it more of an optional implementation.

So what if Microsoft announces that XBL online MP and some features locked behind Gold are free? Would Xbox One sacrificing the paywall and giving you the only console with PC-level online freedom convince you to switch or consider switching to the Xbox One? You could be saving up $100's of dollars a year (depending on what games and apps you use) with free online access.

This thread idea came after the (unlikely) rumor that the disc-less Xbox One will offer free online in exchange for moving to a all digital solution. While online would still be paid on the S and X. But what if Microsoft actually dropped the paywall across the board? That would definitely shake things up, especially since Microsofts online service is the best of the 3 technically. That would also mean free access to subscription services or other apps/features without a paywall as well, along with free MP play on every game (unless the third-party publisher forces you to pay to play their game but most won't do that because it's suicide)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no because while i do game online from time to time, it is not a priority.

i would own an Xbox if i wanted to play games on it. offering free online doesn't make me suddenly want to play games i already don't want to play.

Why would Sony be more of a necessity over xbox? What does sony online offer that is a necessity?

The context was the necessity to charge for online. As in Nintendo and Sony (I mentioned both) at this point, it's more of a necessity to charge for online as they are both evolving fast compared to last generation for services, servers, and dev support, all are expensive. For MS though they have other monetary models and they can take a hit on that and replace it with something else.

i would own an Xbox if i wanted to play games on it. offering free online doesn't make me suddenly want to play games i already don't want to play.

This line doesn't really work unless you don't play any cross-platform games. Because all those would be free without paying as well.

Last edited:

Sakura

MS doesn't have games I want to play online. If it did, and assuming I cared enough to purchase a new console just for free online, then I feel like I would've already been gaming on the PC instead for free online.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What about simple yes or no poll options, instead of injecting viewpoints by thinking for the people you're asking questions to?

Codes 208

Technically they already kind of did that. It’s called windows 10.
What about simple yes or no poll options, instead of injecting viewpoints by thinking for the people you're asking questions to?
He’ll never stop doing that. It’s as predictable as waking up to another poll thread every other day...

bitbydeath

The exclusives they make are a bit too on the shooter side for me.

I’m interested to see what The Initiative come up with though.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about it for Ori and some of the backwards compatibility games on game pass. But those are the only ones that really interest me and most are also on other systems.

Maybe. I stick with Sony because they have the larger playerbase compared to the other systems but if crossplay becomes standard and Microsoft's is free then no, I still won't. I'll just go PC.

Nearly every single must-have Xbox game is available on pc. And windows 10 doesn’t require gold for the same services as Xbox live despite being the “same thing”

This thread is about consoles, if you can't stay on topic and have to try and bring up unrelated console wars via disingenuous posts, arguing points irrelevant to the actual topic of discussion, then don't post in the thread, it's happened before, there was open mod warnings against it, no it's not relevant to the thread, yes you posted it intentionally to be a jerk. Not every Xbox thread has to be devolved into "why buy xbox when there's PC no games lol" even in console centric threads. Please participate in the actual current topic of discussion, thank you. (your post also ignored the existence of Multiplats, which also you (and a couple others) intentionally omitted and is likely a big reason why many would switch if this was actually done).

I think that's all the points covered, moving on.

Codes 208

This thread is about consoles, if you can't stay on topic and have to try and bring up unrelated console wars via disingenuous posts, arguing points irrelevant to the actual topic of discussion, then don't post in the thread, it's happened before, there was open mod warnings against it, no it's not relevant to the thread, yes you posted it intentionally to be a jerk. Not every Xbox thread has to be devolved into "why buy xbox when there's PC no games lol" even in console centric threads. Please participate in the actual current topic of discussion, thank you. (your post also ignored the existence of Multiplats, which also you (and a couple others) intentionally omitted and is likely a big reason why many would switch if this was actually done).

Why is this always your retort? The thread title says “...would you buy?” So yes, expect “why should I buy X when I can have Y?”

If I didn’t already have one, the answer would probably be no now that MCC is coming to pc. Having free online means nothing when it’s been done better elsewhere.

Or at the very least why switch to Xbox now when next gen is right around the corner?

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Phil should send out a map to show the last few where the Xbox as a Console is buried (they still don't get it), I can see it now its going to be like Elvis sightings for 50 years. smh

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Sure. I'd use the Xbox for online games and the Playstation for single player ones. I can't see MS giving up all that free money though

Phil should send out a map to show the last few where the Xbox as a Console is buried (they still don't get it), I can see it now its going to be like Elvis sightings for 50 years. smh

One thing I'll say about this post is that it IS a sentence. Has the period at the end and everything. The context of the sentence I don't even...

Fox Mulder

No. I already don't care about paying, I'm not going to jump just for free online elsewhere. I don't play on PC and I'm happy with the PS4 exclusives.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Right now all three of the console makers are offering you online play and access to certain online features only if you pay a fee. For Sony and Nintendo this has become over time slightly more of a necessity, but for MS their service model and cash safety net makes it more of an optional implementation.

So what if Microsoft announces that XBL online MP and some features locked behind Gold are free? Would Xbox One sacrificing the paywall and giving you the only console with PC-level online freedom convince you to switch or consider switching to the Xbox One? You could be saving up $100's of dollars a year (depending on what games and apps you use) with free online access.

This thread idea came after the (unlikely) rumor that the disc-less Xbox One will offer free online in exchange for moving to a all digital solution. While online would still be paid on the S and X. But what if Microsoft actually dropped the paywall across the board? That would definitely shake things up, especially since Microsofts online service is the best of the 3 technically. That would also mean free access to subscription services or other apps/features without a paywall as well, along with free MP play on every game (unless the third-party publisher forces you to pay to play their game but most won't do that because it's suicide)

Why are the answers so oddly specific? Its like I want vote for a choice, then I read the whole thing and was like....well that's not like me at all.

I have an X1 and an X so i guess I shouldn't be voting anyways. My thing is this. When I had a 360, I payed for Xbox Live. At the time, PSN was free. I didn't buy a PS3 simply because online was free. I bought one because of BC mainly. I basically played Demon Souls on it primarily. That and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm. The rest of the games were primarily single player experiences. Metal Gear Solid 4 (had online multiplayer, but never played it), Infamous, , Final Fantasy XIII, Heavenly Sword, etc.

So I guess what I'm saying is if I was a PS4 owner first and Xbox became free online, I wouldn't buy it for that reason. I would have already bought it for Gamepass, probably when the discless console releases.

Last edited:
Afro Republican Afro Republican , yes MS can take a hit. So can sony and nintendo. But you should know that business don't "take a hit", just because they can. Everything they do is to maximize profits. Only real question is short term vs long term. Unless it makes financial sense for ms to "take a hit", they won't. And generally speaking for any industry; if the norm is for every customer to pay for a certain product, the all competitors are pretty happy with that arrangement. Nobody's in it to win, they're in it to get paychecks.

DanielsM

Banned
Afro Republican Afro Republican , yes MS can take a hit. So can sony and nintendo. But you should know that business don't "take a hit", just because they can. Everything they do is to maximize profits. Only real question is short term vs long term. Unless it makes financial sense for ms to "take a hit", they won't. And generally speaking for any industry; if the norm is for every customer to pay for a certain product, the all competitors are pretty happy with that arrangement. Nobody's in it to win, they're in it to get paychecks.
Logically, if they're trying to get them off the hardware (console hardware) and onto Windows 10 (UWP/Xbox One native), you would think they would keep the XBL fees (for console players) so they get the point when their friends are playing fee free on their Windows machine. There is a reason why farmers have cattle prods.

"You want to play without Xbox Live fees - we have a machine for that, its called a Windows PC"

Last edited:
I own a PC so no. The value isn’t there for me personally outside of GamePass and even then it would need to be free for me to migrate ecosystems.

My multiplayer gaming is 80% PC 20% PS and honestly I won’t be renewing PS+ when it expires this July.

Fbh

I'm mostly into single player games and in that regard I still vastly prefer the offerings on Ps4, so No.
I'll probably not even renew my Ps+ when it runs out now that the only multiplayer I play regularly (Rocket League) added cross platform parties and I can play with the PSN friends while playing for free on PC

Last edited:

BruceCM

Nope, I don't even pay for Switch online & that's my only console ..... I'd be more likely to get a PS4 & not pay for it's online if I could really afford another console & games for it :messenger_sunglasses:

Vawn

Banned
What's the point of these constant what-if polls about things that have 0% chance of happening?

Vawn

Banned

Every. Single. Time.

"I'm the boss of this thread. Do as I say. Everyone else loves me.

Moving on." (Never moves on)

His response was completely reasonable. You asked if we would buy an Xbox, and he says no because of PC. Are we supposed to assume in this reality you are making up the PC isn't an option because you want to only consider "consoles"?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There is no game I’m interest to buy a XB1 console... online bring free or paid add zero weight in that decision.

Games matter.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Why would Sony be more of a necessity over xbox? What does sony online offer that is a necessity?
It's what Sony brings to the table overall that'd never make me switch to Xbox, not their online offerings.

So much so, that I would even take paid online PSN over free XBL.

Last edited:

-MD-

What's the point of these constant what-if polls about things that have 0% chance of happening?

The multiple choices are always terrible as well, the only option including "I own a PC" also states "I don't play consoles".

I own a PC and play consoles but have no use for an Xbox.

Basically this.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I dont know any gamer that would care so much about paid online that they would switch consoles because of that, IMO this questions is kind of crazy.

playstation offers best games, best ecosystem, best controller, best OS so I would not became xbox user even if they were free.

n0razi

After the announcement today from Microsoft about Halo MCC being ported to PC, I lost the only reason I ever wanted an Xbox One. I honestly wouldnt pick one up even if online was free at this point.

Last edited:

-MD-

One of the poll options that you yourself created is "I don't play consoles, only PC", then you get upset when someone states that they don't need an Xbox because they have a PC.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Multiplayer tax only matters when the playing field is otherwise level and one platform doesn't have it.

Saber

Gold Member
Not a chance, not even if they give me one free. Before the ps4 and ps3, I have a xbox360. I had so many problems and headaches with this console than anything before. After that, I simply keep my distance from xbox.

Anki

Banned
I plan to buy xbox one s and i really don’t care about online games I only play single player games.

Zannegan

I would certainly be more likely to pick up an XB1X if I didn't think they were going to charge me the equivalent of an extra game every year for the pleasure of playing online (until they decide to shut down that game's servers). Right now though, we're too close to the new generation for me to invest very much in a new box, even though XBox has some exclusives I want to check out (like Sunset Overdrive).

Smasher89

I bought a pc and few weeks after i got offered a free 360, had a ps3 that gen that got played a little but not close to 3ds playtime. Looked up if there was any titles i had missed that were exclusive and aside from ori and cuphead (available on pc)there didnt seem to be any more then a couple fps games o had no interest in so declined the offer(too few hdmi slots on tv already as is).

Skipping the tvtvtv offer from microsoft since all that matters to them is subscriptions or taking away consumer benefits (looking at them in general even though backwards compability now looks decent but prob will be just the esrly step for a 400 dollar gamepass).

Top Bottom