• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes adds gaming section to their "30 under 30" list

Buhromat

Forbes "30 under 30" list recently added a gaming section

https://www.forbes.com/30-under-30/2018/games/

Anele Andeshmand, 28
Head of North America Partnerships and Development, Twitch

Becca Bair, 29
Cofounder, Twin Otter Studios

Caitlin Banford, 28
Technical Product Manager, Riot Games

Søren Bjerg, 21
Professional Gamer, Team SoloMid

Bryce Blum, 29
Founding Partner, ESG Law

James Boehm, 21
Cofounder, Mixer

Tucker Boner, 24
Streamer, iijeriichoii LLC

Ashly Burch, 27
Actress

Nicky Case, 23
Designer

Lauren Cason, 27
Senior Artist, Ustwo Games

Lester Chen, 29
Global Head of Esports, YouTube

Sam Coster, 28
Cofounder, Butterscotch Shenanigans

David DeCarmine, 29
Founder, Game Jolt

Guzman Díaz, 26
Investor, Index Ventures

Mark Fischbach, 28
YouTuber, Markiplier

Sabina Foisor, 28
Woman Grandmaster, US Chess Federation

Toby Fox, 26
Designer

Leighton Gray, 20 and Vernon Shaw, 28
Co-writers, Game Grumps

George Georgallidis, 27
Founder, Counter Logic Gaming

Robyn Gray, 27
Cofounder, Otherworld Interactive

Sue Lee, 27
Partnerships Associate, Twitch

Erik Martin, 24
Senior Education Program Manager, Unity Technologies

Andrew Maximov, 27
Technical Art Director, Naughty Dog

Blake Rochkind, 29
Video Game Agent, United Talent Agency

Jake Stauch, 26
Founder, NeuroPlus

Eric Stirpe, 29
Season Lead Writer, Telltale Games

James Iliff, 27 and Alexander Silkin, 26
Cofounders, Survios

Stanislav Vishnevskiy, 29
Cofounder, Discord

Jenny Xu, 20
Founder, JCSoft Inc.

Saleem Young, 23
Professional Gamer, Most Valuable Gaming

What do you think? Do these names deserve to be here? I'm kinda excited that something this mainstream is even focusing on gaming as an industry.

A bunch of youtubers, professional gamers and an investor.

Literally zero programmers and very few artists.

Great idea but a poor list and representation of the actual industry.

Remember when the Penny Arcade guys were named among Time's most influential people? This is like that, only much less notable and with worse picks.

Dunki

I do not get this list at all. Are these suppossed to be people who influenced this industry? And why is someone liijeriichoii on there but not soeone like Lirik or Sodapoppin who always have 30k+ people watching?

Someone like Lirik makes Games publicly known with his Sub Sunday format. And If you want it or not Pewdiepie is also a huge influencer regarding this Industry. This list seems sooo fucking random.

Also yeah its missing Programmers and I do not even know half these studios. Missing Larian Studios or GOG or ProjektRED as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's great there's new talent out there. I just can't remember their names and I read their name, age, and their job title.

I'm clueless about esports, so there's that. I agree about there not being any engineers or programmers.

I feel as though the red carpet has already been rolled out. That doesn't mean these people don't do great things in gaming, but their accomplishments are basically LinkedIn accomplishments.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zero programmers literally makes me angry.

F this list.

What do you know?

Stanislav Vishnevskiy, aka Stan, is one of the best programmers I know.

You guys are nuts calling this list bullshit.

A bunch of youtubers, professional gamers and an investor.

Literally zero programmers and very few artists.

Great idea but a poor list and representation of the actual industry.

Holy shit you guys don’t know the people. Some of the peeps there fucking breathe code. They just have fancy titles because they are that good.

Forbes clearly knows more about the industry than a bunch of GAF posters.

What do you know?

Holy shit you guys don’t know the people. Some of the peeps there fucking breathe code. They just have fancy titles because they are that good.

If true, then seems like most of the knowledgeable posters left.

Dunki

What do you know?

It was not forb but industry people. At the bottom you can say who the jury was.

Still I think regarding streamers they have chosen the wrong ones. Jerchio for example has like 2k viewers average. Others have way more. Game awards also has chosen someone like Shroud for their influencer category which I think fits way more. Or Lirik^^

As for programmers I take that complaint back.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Didn't know Discord was a game.
Discord used to be a company called Hammer & Chisel founded by game devs developing mobile games (more story to it but outside the topic). Stan built the Discord prototype and made the company pivot.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Didn't know Discord was a game.

I feel like familiarity controls my interests. It is hard to accept that games I like are 20+ years old (they sometimes feel brand new) and a YouTuber or someone who did something with video games makes a list like this. Especially someone sitting there playing games and getting paid for it. I remember sitting in the basement as a kid playing Genesis and now they're online making money.

I want to think of Descent when I hear the word Discord (two totally different things). That's just how I have played the games over the years. I haven't played all the new ones. I have to somehow make my mind grow to learn more about the industry.

I'm always shocked when I see the mobile companies at the billion dollar revenue. It's a totally different world and sometimes it doesn't feel so familiar.

Datalore

Neo Member
More brilliant insight from Forbes, like this incredibly precient November 2007 cover story:
0dd2e3d95aae961f27745d32a71d618b.jpg

caffeware

Banned
Becca Bair, 29
Cofounder, Twin Otter Studio

Did they released their game yet? How is her wealth related to gaming?

BANGS

Banned
Ok I won't pretend I know everything about everyone on that list, but that just seems like a shitty list. The only person I really DO know of, Ashley Burch, has done some mediocre voice acting and writing... and participated in the voice actor strike so hasn't even been doing half her job...

Not saying she's a bad person or not noteworthy at all, but it really seems like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with this list...

Top Bottom