• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: Latest NX 'Leak' Demonstrates Why Nintendo Needs To Start Talking

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Yes, I am now aware that Forbes Contributor is a thing.

This thread is presented to you in glorious 900p.

Forbes said:
The internet is starting to buzz again about yet another NX “leak,” this time from market researcher GfK, who reportedly has slipped in some Nintendo NX info into one of its recent surveys. And what’s been revealed is making fans both upset and confused. Among the details:

- Gameplay flows between the NX console and NX handheld device

- Gameplay graphics are 900p/60fps

- The box includes the console, a controller and a sensor bar

The problem with using a survey like this as gospel is that GfK might not have any idea what they’re actually talking about. While Nintendo may have given them specific information about the NX, it seems unlikely it would find its way into a survey like this. GfK could just be extrapolating test question info based on rumor or the precedent set by the Wii U in order to craft a survey for a client who might not even be Nintendo.

But what really makes no sense is stating outright that the consoles graphics are 900p/60fps, which is actually a step backward from many of the Wii U’s current titles. There have been Wii U games at 900p/60fps, but also 1080p/30fps and 1080p/60fps, depending on the title. It is entirely illogical that the NX would lock graphics at one resolution and framerate, and if they did, it (hopefully) would not be 900p/60fps on a console meant to be an upgrade from the Wii U.

So while the survey itself is supposedly legitimate, it’s unlikely all this information is. I talked to an ex-GfK employee who has done tons of these kinds of surveys, and he says there’s no way to know whether or not the information is based on fact or theory. A survey like this is usually a fact-finding mission for consumer preferences. For new products, they will invent a price, for instance, six prices, and see which one tests better. So any piece of this information could be a test about what consumers would want or not want to see in the NX.

While I don't necessarily agree they need to start talking because of rumors, after the disaster that was the Wii U marketing and messaging, Nintendo would obviously benefit from being as crystal clear as possible as soon as they can.

Not because the Internet overreact means you need to act fast. Although I agree on one point: NX needs to be shown before E3 then get the marketing blowout at E3.

GlamFM

Banned
I think we should always point out that it´s an article by a "contributor", so basically a random blog post.

The Forbes name gives this stuff more credibility than it deserves.

"Random internet guy wants to know more about NX"

Sethista

surprising that they kept the handheld + console combo in, given the wii u experience. if this is true. shows nintendo continues to be out of touch about what the strenghts they still have.

I guess we will see when official confirmation comes.

Yeah, I was going to post the exact same thing you said. I rather they not even bother with rumors usually but maybe they should get ahead of this thing and just clear any confusion up now before it bites them in the ass again.

Platy

I find the NX situation hilarious because we all KNOW that Sony is doing a new console, we all KNOW that microsoft is doing a new console .... but everyone just freak out with nintendo because basicaly they revealed the codename of the project. The ONLY diference is that we know the codename

Mesoian

Nintendo has a schedule and shouldn't be expected to placate the antsy.

We're going to find all of this stuff out within the next 3 months but come on. Other than the 900p thing which is a shaky rumor at best, the GFK leak repeats everything that we either already knew or is just common sense information (yes, it comes with a controller. Wow).

Can we make forbes.com/sites a banned URL? Please?

I love that all "Forbes"-threads are just "Forbes contributor"-threads.

I think we should always point out that it´s an article by a "contributor", so basically a random blog post.

The Forbes name gives this stuff more credibility than it deserves.

"Random internet guy wants to know more about NX"

Well then. I didn't realize this was a thing.

wrowa

Nintendo needs to start talking when they are actually ready to talk. Both the Xbox One and the Wii U have shown that a bad first presentation can be a real pain to overcome.

GlamFM

Banned
Can we make forbes.com/sites a banned URL? Please?

+1

I find the NX situation hilarious because we all KNOW that Sony is doing a new console, we all KNOW that microsoft is doing a new console .... but everyone just freak out with nintendo because basicaly they revealed the codename of the project. The ONLY diference is that we know the codename

NX is right around the corner, PS5 & XBOX Whatever - not.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I agree... Every NX thread is worse than the last one.

Time for some official news.
Do the opposite of what a Forbes contributor says. E3 is not that far away, so I think the contributor needs to chill.
No way they can wait until e3 of its launches this year. They have like max 2 months for an unveiling.

AdanVC

Yeah they really need to drop info ASAP and as clear as possible. If it creates confusion from day one then it's game over and it will be Wii U all over again. It's not like talking early about NX will affect Wii U/3DS sales. They are just gonna continue on declive either with NX talk or not

JeffGrubb

900P?! I'm going to cancel my preorder that I haven't decided to make yet and therefore this doesn't mean it is time for Nintendo to start talking!

On the bright side this article isn't passing off the GFK survey as absolute fact on NX.

I agree... Every NX thread is worse than the last one.

Time for some official news.

Indeed. We're almost a month into the year. Nintendo has to hurry up if they want NX to be this year's big thing.

DrWong

This confirm everything from today: GFK sheets are real, the Japanese Pachter knows stuff, Bayonnetta 2 coming to other consoles.

I agree with the article. People going crazy over that ridiculous, quickly-debunked GfK "leak" tells us that Nintendo needs to schedule a Nintendo Direct ASAP because these false rumors damage the brand to the average consumer.

Hopefully they will start to talk at the next investor meeting:

nj4xnh1.png

...because I feel that even E3 is too late for a reveal.

It should be announced within the next month and a half. If it is getting multiplats, missing out on new game announcements is probably a bad idea.
Like the new Sonic game that is rumored to be announced in Feburary.

SalvaPot

Its exciting what NX brings to the table, but by god do people take rumors as facts. When a thread title has RUMOR on it and people treat it as facts at least try to word your speculation as it is, speculation.

jmizzal

Market research survey with no real info caused a bunch of people on gaf to overreact so Nintendo needs to dump its NX plans and talk now

makes sense

Ah of course, the good ol' "lol contributor" posts. If it means that much to you, just pretend a random gaffer wrote it up and made a thread. Would love to read from people addressing the post itself.

I think Nintendo should do what Sony did for the PS4. Conference in Feb outlining specs and upcoming games, then E3 full reveal with launch date, titles, and price, and then launch in November

studyguy

No it's fine, let the rumors spread or general miscommunication so that like the Wii to WiiU jump, the general public somehow think the WiiU is just the tablet accessory to the original Wii.

Nintendo has and seemingly always will be uniformly terrible at communicating their initial console messaging to anyone beyond their base.

Kimawolf

Well then. I didn't realize this was a thing.

oh its a thing lol. people HATE contributors, and act like they just can randomly post something up like it was a random blog or something.

On to the thread at hand. Nintendo needs to definitely control the message before its too late and the message controls them like with Wii U.

Market research survey with no real info caused a bunch of people on gaf to overreact so Nintendo needs to dump its NX plans and talk now

makes sense

I think the idea is more that people are starting to get antsy just because Nintendo's been unusually quiet for the past year or so, and the fact that every minor rumour about NX causes people to fly into a frenzy is just an illustration of how hungry for news we are. Nintendo has to capitalize on that buzz and make themselves the centre of attention before people lose interest and focus on what the rest of the gaming world has in store for the year.

The Wii U's lack of media presence and attention from them before its launch (there was an entire year between E3 2011 and 2012 where there was virtually nothing, and we only even got its release date two months in advance) was a misstep that shouldn't be repeated.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo doesn't need to start talking until they're ready to start talking.

They need to be talking more about their Wii U and 3DS lineup for 2016 than the NX at this point in time.

I think the idea is more that people are starting to get antsy just because Nintendo's been unusually quiet for the past year or so, and the fact that every minor rumour about NX causes people to fly into a frenzy is just an illustration of how hungry for news we are. Nintendo has to capitalize on that buzz and make themselves the centre of attention before people lose interest and focus on what the rest of the gaming world has in store for the year.

Or before the average consumer hears these ridiculous rumors and believes that as the truth.

"Oh yeah, NX, yeah I heard that was 900p, the PS4 is 1080p so Nintendo is worthless"

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average consumer.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Yeah if this thing is coming this year they should've had an event this month. I remember PlayStation and Xbox had their events in January of 2013.

Azure J

Not because the Internet overreact means you need to act fast. Although I agree on one point: NX needs to be shown before E3 then get the marketing blowout at E3.

Pretty much the long and short of this situation. It's been much tamer this time around without "WUST" like sagas making The Land Before Time series blush, but all in all, it'd be really appreciated to see/hear more.

methodman

Banned
Ah of course, the good ol' "lol contributor" posts. If it means that much to you, just pretend a random gaffer wrote it up and made a thread. Would love to read from people addressing the post itself.

Agreed.

And I totally agree with the dude's article. Nintendo needs to get ahead of all these rumors, and soon, because they are getting more and more random. Releasing real news would be huge press for them, and they can definitely take advantage; but if it is leaked, it's bad for their brand.

Stiler

Man, if they seriously are just making a new under-powered console with a gimmicky handheld screen they really really must want their console to fail again.

kennyamr

That survey has only hypothetical information about NX.
It is just one more guess about how NX will work, nothing else.

studyguy

Or before the average consumer hears some rumor and believes that as the truth.

"Oh yeah, NX, yeah I heard that was 900p, the PS4 is 1080p so Nintendo is worthless"

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average consumer.

Pretty much. Neogaf isn't the problem here, it's the average person. The average person isn't on this site, or on any videogame-anything site for that matter. They're the type of people who overhear something at a Gamestop or from a friend and take it as fact. Be it true or not. They're the type of people who move consoles in large numbers. The moms and dads. Nintendo is legit bad at communicating beyond MORE MARIO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom