• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor - The More I See Of Anthem The More It Looks Absolutely Nothing Like Destiny.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...absolutely-nothing-like-destiny/#7235014d2d82

Yes, you could draw a few comparisons to say, but honestly, Anthem feels like it’s going someplace entirely different than Destiny with its third-person, action oriented gameplay. I couldn’t help but feel like I was watching some futuristic version of Diablo 3’s Wizard in action, spamming elemental abilities while warping around the battlefield.

All in all, Anthem probably reminds me the most of Warframe, another third person loot shooter that rarely relies on hiding behind cover, and is all about fast movement and big damage combos. But even that doesn’t seem entirely accurate, and Anthem really does feel like it may have managed to carve out its own niche that is unlike anything else in the increasingly crowded loot shooter landscape, and that’s impressive.

I don’t know if this necessarily means that Anthem will be better than Destiny, but it’s definitely going to be going after its audience hard come February. I think one advantage that isn’t talked about all that often is that Anthem may have an advantage over much of its competition as it has zero focus on PvP play, which simply doesn’t exist in the game. That’s why I keep comparing it to Diablo, where you can make these combo-heavy synergy builds that are able to just tear through PvE enemies, blowing up everything onscreen, while clearly that’s a concept that wouldn’t work at all in a PvP setting. And for PvE focused players, that’s an incredibly attractive prospect.

Anthem has had a chance to learn from its competitor’s mistakes. I don’t know exactly what the final result will be, but everything seems rather promising so far, and like a unique experience that perhaps someday I will stop constantly comparing to Destiny at every turn. But today is not that day.

klosos

Hopefully the people who get round to playing Anthem enjoy it , but god to me it looks generic. a few abilities for each class ( not to much they don't want to make it to complicated , the casual's might get confused), everything about it to me is just so bad . Bioware are such a shadow of there former self , its very depressing actually , they used to be the attractive 20 year old with a personality now they are a 30+ single mother wearing clothes two sizes to small , drunk , whilst demanding attention from everyone.

Go home and pack it in Bioware , your time is done

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So it's not like Destiny but like Warframe which is like Destiny. Got it.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
It's a looters shooter.. it'll be similar to others, issue is retaining a good player base and pulling those players from Destiny and Warframe, the hardcore group will probably stick to what they have already.

Fbh

An online only, sci fi, coop PVE and loot focused game where you fight in super powered exosuits/armours and where most of the story and characters are limited to the main hub area.

I mean sure, it's not like it's a ripoff or exactly the same and both the third person perspective as well as the flying are already enough to give it its own flavour. But it's not hard to see the similarities and I'd be shocked if this project didn't start in some meeting room with some executives pointing at Destiny and being like "we want something like that"

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Funny, the more I see of Anthem the more it looks like absolutely nothing.

D6l8fu1.gif

Last edited:

roflcaust

Neo Member
When's the last time this person played D3 because the last iteration of D3 is all about stacking certain buff stats to spam that one ability to destroy everything ASAP... there's no "weaving and mixing" spells for maximum effect. What an ignorant statement.

Here's the deal with Anthem: if the loot system sucks, what's the reason to play the game? And this being an EA game, you know it's going to be milked with cosmetic/ insidious MTx for you to get the best stuff. Or create a currency system that generates painfully slow to incentivize you to spend money.

As of now, from everything I've watched, Anthem is absolutely not a buy for me anytime soon.

TeamGhobad

Banned
the more i have seen from Anthem the less excited i got. I have a feeling its one big open biome with the story told in cutscenes.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Absolutely nothing is a bit much but it looks different enough to actually have hope for it after playing the D2 dud. It still has a lot to prove, mostly in terms of campaign/missions/variety/progression/etc.

When will we stop pretending "Forbes" means anything beyond random strangers on the internet posting random thoughts? Just make it your own opinion thread, that guy means nothing over you or me.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Game looks fun to me and a different flavor of looter shooter.

All this hand wringing about it being EA (which I’m not saying you are wrong, but we haven’t seen it yet) and hating on BioWare is silly.

Let’s see what they came up with before we drag them behind the woodshed

Jigsaah

Gold Member
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...absolutely-nothing-like-destiny/#7235014d2d82

Yes, you could draw a few comparisons to say, but honestly, Anthem feels like it’s going someplace entirely different than Destiny with its third-person, action oriented gameplay. I couldn’t help but feel like I was watching some futuristic version of Diablo 3’s Wizard in action, spamming elemental abilities while warping around the battlefield.

All in all, Anthem probably reminds me the most of Warframe, another third person loot shooter that rarely relies on hiding behind cover, and is all about fast movement and big damage combos. But even that doesn’t seem entirely accurate, and Anthem really does feel like it may have managed to carve out its own niche that is unlike anything else in the increasingly crowded loot shooter landscape, and that’s impressive.

I don’t know if this necessarily means that Anthem will be better than Destiny, but it’s definitely going to be going after its audience hard come February. I think one advantage that isn’t talked about all that often is that Anthem may have an advantage over much of its competition as it has zero focus on PvP play, which simply doesn’t exist in the game. That’s why I keep comparing it to Diablo, where you can make these combo-heavy synergy builds that are able to just tear through PvE enemies, blowing up everything onscreen, while clearly that’s a concept that wouldn’t work at all in a PvP setting. And for PvE focused players, that’s an incredibly attractive prospect.

Anthem has had a chance to learn from its competitor’s mistakes. I don’t know exactly what the final result will be, but everything seems rather promising so far, and like a unique experience that perhaps someday I will stop constantly comparing to Destiny at every turn. But today is not that day.

Agreed. It has a loot system that's similar to Destiny, but the gameplay (at least as the ninja javelin, infiltrator, whatever it's called) seems very warfame-esque. I wish one of these developers would flesh out the game's economy to allow trading like Warframe. To me that is one of the most interesting things about Warframe. The ability to grind and make currency that otherwise can only be bought for real money. Even when buying something for real money in Warframe, the amount of ways to become powerful is so numerous that it diminishes the threat of pay to win. No gun, melee weapon or suit in Warframe is an absolute must have. However I think this is one place where the game is flawed. The encounters are not complex enough to warrant that kind of attention to your build. It's basically with this build you can kill what you need to kill, but if you truly learn the mods and min max your arsenal, you can kill them much more efficiently. I think this is where Anthem will split from Warframe.

Anthem seems to have the min maxing but it also seems to have the challenge to make the min maxing process as more crucial part of the game. Doing these missions amongst 6 difficulties make it seem like you have to keep getting a little bit stronger to be an asset to your team.

Can't wait for this game.

This is the Homefront to Destiny or Warframe's Call of Duty.
Pariah to Halo.
Dreamkiller to Painkiller.
Will Rock to Serious Sam.
Quantum Theory to Gears of War.

It's TORtanic all over again.

I only played the beta slice, but Anthem doesn't feel like Warframe any more than it feels like Destiny.

But I get the comparison to Warframe (javelin vs. warframe) and the comparison to Destiny (AAA looter shooter GaaS).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Since the continued existence of Bioware as a game developer likely hinges on the success of this game, I hope it does well.

Otherwise, this doesn’t look interesting to me at all, and I’m sure that’s because EA’s stink is all over this game.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Since the continued existence of Bioware as a game developer likely hinges on the success of this game, I hope it does well.

Otherwise, this doesn’t look interesting to me at all, and I’m sure that’s because EA’s stink is all over this game.

What made Bioware Bioware left years ago, so I really don't care if the studio is closed.

All this hand wringing about it being EA (which I’m not saying you are wrong, but we haven’t seen it yet) and hating on BioWare is silly.

You're confusing hate with lamentation and their respective targets.

Gamers generally hate EA for how they've evicerated BioWare since their acquisition (see Mass Effect 3 debacle and all of the departures during that game's development).
Gamers generally lament how BioWare is now a former shell of itself and remember the quality product they were known for, not what we've seen recently (e.g. ME:A).

There's a reason EA is known as a place where devs go to die/get absorbed.

Last edited:

Dthomp

What made Bioware Bioware left years ago, so I really don't care if the studio is closed.

This! Other then playing but not overly enjoying DA:I I can’t tell you the last time I enjoyed a BioWare game...maybe DA:O? I still play a ton of Destiny 2, but would love a game to come along and knock Bungie down a few pegs for all the steps back we still are from Destiny. This game isn’t going to be it. It’s a single player game with what sounds like bear bones story and no pvp elements at all...yet? If it’s being compared to the division then it’s in trouble cause Division 2 looks to build upon all the great changes made to the first game while hopefully improving upon an interesting pvp mode, and adding Raids.

Raven117

Gold Member
You're confusing hate with lamentation and their respective targets.

Gamers generally hate EA for how they've evicerated BioWare since their acquisition (see Mass Effect 3 debacle and all of the departures during that game's development).
Gamers generally lament how BioWare is now a former shell of itself and remember the quality product they were known for, not what we've seen recently (e.g. ME:A).

There's a reason EA is known as a place where devs go to die/get absorbed.
I’m not confusing anything. I get it. Here is hoping the game is good. Looks decent to me

zeorhymer

Meh. My view on it doesn't match with the writer's. Actually, a lot of stuff from his doesn't match what I experience. Anywho, it's a looter shooter like Destiny and Division. I admit, it's very very strong at the start. Combat is fluid, combos feel satisfying, each suit is unique style, but when I'm thinking about end game, it's pretty cloudy. How are they going to keep the loop fresh and at the same time, not feel like a monotonous grind? How many loops will there be available to keep me playing? How long will it take to get the PvP up and running after launch? So many mysteries, but only time will tell.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Agreed most of the great talent left the studio, but having the creative life strangled out of you by inarguably the worst publisher in video game history sure as fuck didn’t help matters.

Last edited:

Strazyplus

I love the anthem suits as they look really cool and I would love to experience a great story in a great scifi world.

However I was not born yesterday, so often these games are rushed, story being half-baked, and filled with mobile like micro-transactioned to hell at 100 USD+ to get all the content.
I clearly remember all the news of Anthem being negative and really looking bad, then things so silent and launch nears and for some reason we have Professional youtube channels promoting & hyping the game. This channel looks like its led by a PR Team at EA, the production quality is too great for a channel to be formed just for anthem only (if its not funded by EA then I am impressed by their skill and question why they are so dedicated their effort and channel to this sole unreleased game.)

Besides that odd thing, Anthem Hype is building from very little in my opinion I have not seen anything hyping me this games story or lore, I am far too certain this game will be terrible, and remember.... why so many EA games fail? Because its not the developers fault, it's EA meddling and rushing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm cautiously optimistic about Anthem based on what i've seen so far.

Same. It honestly looks like it could be good - but it depends on how shitty the writing is. I don't want another virtue signaling shit heap like some of the more recent games have been.

ShdwDrake

Banned
It's ok that it looks like Destiny people wanted Destiny to be good.

The big reason people are saying it looks like Destiny in the first place is because you can literally tell EA focus tested the shit outta this game to appeal to the widest audience possible.

I'll probably buy it to play with casually coworkers on Xbox. If it is amazing I'll double dip on PC to play with my core friends I play Warframe with. If it sucks, well I hope GameStop lasts long enough to trade it in.

zenspider

I love the anthem suits as they look really cool and I would love to experience a great story in a great scifi world.

However I was not born yesterday, so often these games are rushed, story being half-baked, and filled with mobile like micro-transactioned to hell at 100 USD+ to get all the content.
I clearly remember all the news of Anthem being negative and really looking bad, then things so silent and launch nears and for some reason we have Professional youtube channels promoting & hyping the game. This channel looks like its led by a PR Team at EA, the production quality is too great for a channel to be formed just for anthem only (if its not funded by EA then I am impressed by their skill and question why they are so dedicated their effort and channel to this sole unreleased game.)

Besides that odd thing, Anthem Hype is building from very little in my opinion I have not seen anything hyping me this games story or lore, I am far too certain this game will be terrible, and remember.... why so many EA games fail? Because its not the developers fault, it's EA meddling and rushing.

I was pretty hyped for Anthem - enough to not follow coverage and assume I'd nab it.

It's literally infiltrated my YouTube feeds completely unprompted (possibly some chicanery with the release date being on my Google Calendar) and it's really put me off to both Anthem and the YouTuber Media Complex.

manfestival

Watching this latest video almost made it feel like Mass Effect Multiplayer over destiny. Honestly, that is not that great of a thing. Even the boostie jumpies of Mass Effect. Which are inferior to the boostie jumpies of Destiny 2. This is a fact and not up for discussion. Anyone that disagrees with me on boostie jumpies can go eat fried potatoes by themselves in a cafeteria full of really nice people.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Kind request, could we please label these “Forbes Contributor” not “Forbes”.

I can usually tell by the clickbaitiness of the headline that it’s going to be a contributor article, but I think it’s good practice.

VertigoOA

Banned
Paul Tassi is strange... writes on destiny daily almost.

The destiny youtubers were reached out to by EA. They’re all partners of the shill campaign and it’s almost disturbing how disingenuous it all comes off as.

Still annoyed there’s no endgame to anthem in launch window other than what’s essentially destiny strikes. That’s uber lame.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Paul Tassi is strange... writes on destiny daily almost.

The destiny youtubers were reached out to by EA. They’re all partners of the shill campaign and it’s almost disturbing how disingenuous it all comes off as.

Still annoyed there’s no endgame to anthem in launch window other than what’s essentially destiny strikes. That’s uber lame.

Sounds a lot like Destiny in that regards when it lunched.

The end game aspect has given me pause as well since it amounts to daily challenges, replaying story missions and replaying strongholds.

Seriously? In the current evolution of loot games and after sitting courtside for all of Destiny and Division's growing pains, this seems like the right move? *sigh*

To a "loot shooter" genre layperson - what's the difference?

Less about the looter shooter aspect... Destiny is FPS. Division is TPS and slower paced.

Anthem is TPS as well, but the verticality is completely different because high ground must generally be earned in Division when available.

VertigoOA

Banned
Destiny had a raid and pvp at launch 5 years ago. Anthem has neither.

It’s a weaker shooter by simple fact it’s a third person game.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I don't get the "Iron Man suits" thing. You fly very slowly in this game and most of the combat you stand on the ground aiming down the sights of your rifle. It doesn't look or feel anywhere near Iron Man style of gameplay I would expect. I just saw a couple of minutes of gameplay and most of it was two dudes hiding behind rocks without any sort of cover mechanic, taking pot shots and waiting for their shields/hp to recover.

Last edited:

Orpheum

It's EA they will fuck it up one way or another.

Although if the game turns out to actually be good i might jump in. Would be the first EA game i've played ever since Dead Space 3

I played the alpha, but I'm under NDA so all I'm going to say is yes, don't expect a Destiny replacement. Because this ain't it.

zeorhymer

I don't get the "Iron Man suits" thing. You fly very slowly in this game and most of the combat you stand on the ground aiming down the sights of your rifle. It doesn't look or feel anywhere near Iron Man style of gameplay I would expect. I just saw a couple of minutes of gameplay and most of it was two dudes hiding behind rocks without any sort of cover mechanic, taking pot shots and waiting for their shields/hp to recover.
It's a shame that the guys you were watching didn't learn the hover mechanic. That's one of the more important skills to use in fights. It does feel like Iron Man when you figure out how to use it.

Top Bottom