• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor - The More I See Of Anthem The More It Looks Absolutely Nothing Like Destiny.

When is the last time BioWare made a good game? Why would anyone put high expectations on something that aims to be a Game as a Service which is what we all hate so much.
I want it to be good, but I'm calling it now it will basically be The Division, super meh, not terrible, gets slightly better over time - 7/10 kinda game, par for the course with new bioware

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When is the last time BioWare made a good game? Why would anyone put high expectations on something that aims to be a Game as a Service which is what we all hate so much.
I want it to be good, but I'm calling it now it will basically be The Division, super meh, not terrible, gets slightly better over time - 7/10 kinda game, par for the course with new bioware

Dragon Age Inquisition got GOTY I believe.

I kind of feel the same. I think some of the major outlets will go into full hype mode with their reviews like they usually do but we are at a time that all GaaS are under hyper scrutiny by the community. So anything shadey or any fuck up will be magnified 10 times more so than even just 3 years ago.

Edit: The major outlets no longer have complete control over the news cycle so if something really shitty pops up and gets carried by social media, it will hit the game regardless if the 'press' picks it up or not.

Last edited:
This game feels more like a Dungeon crawling MMO than Destiny. You basically have your Thief, Tank, Wizard and Ranger.

I also feel like Destiny in the end is balanced around pvp but I stopped playing it because the PVE got boring.

If this game just focuses on PVE it might be epic.

If a journalist says it, then the opposite is true.

So I guess Anthem is a sort of open-world Destiny which can be okay as long as they nail a number of things, like not making an absolutely vapid and unoriginal experience and having a floor-scraching money hungry lootbox scheme

nowhat

I don't know whether this is the appropriate thread, but I didn't feel like starting a new one and this was the first Anthem thread that came up.

So I'm watching an IGN video (in my defense, it showed up in my Youtube feed, I don't subscribe) of "7 minutes of Fort Tarsis Exploration Gameplay". Basically, this is like the hub area, so no combat or anything. Where you interact with people. You know, the story, as it were.

And just now these words were uttered by the maker of the video: "we have daily, weekly and monthly challenges that promise rewards upon completion". There are dialogue options (or binary choices, rather), but as far as story goes... yeah. The more I learn about this game, the less I'm interested in it. Oh how the mighty have fallen (or brought down by EA, I suppose the historians will sort that one out).

Edit: oh another thing. In the video it is mentioned multiple times how this is still a work in progress. The game is releasing in less than two months. How much you think it will be able to change in that time?

Last edited:
@ nowhat nowhat I can't imagine there are going to be any significant changes prior to release.

Which is February 15 btw, so just a month from now.

Kind of bummed. I'm leaning toward skipping it for now and just biding my time til the Division.

Top Bottom