• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes contributor: Theoretically i see Microsoft pricing the Xbox Series X at $500

-Troid-

Banned
My guess:
Series X $500
Series S $400

(Price Drops)
One X $300
One S $200
One SAD $100-150

I think they'll keep the One models around for a bit longer to attract people with the lower price and Gamepass, plus xCloud is based on the One S architecture or something I think?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nintendo Switch at $300 adds a big wrinkle to the whole gen. Will Sony/MS price at $500, knowing there's a comparable gap in power? Or will they cut closer to Nintendo with a $350-400 console? :pie_thinking:

Ar¢tos

I don't see either Sony or MS going for 400$. Even at 100$ loss, it's not possible to have decent specs. SSD's are significantly more expensive than HDDs, GDDR6 is also much more expensive than GDDR5. Add to that a decent APU of 9tf+ (low balling it).
400$ is not possible, unless you release a mediocre console.

93xfan

Banned
My bet’s on $500

and *maybe* a Series S at $400.

kinda like how the 360 launched with a basic edition and a premium.

Just $100 less for a much less powerful series S would be utterly foolish.

The 360 with no HDD could always be upgraded, so let’s compare it to that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My guess:
Series X $500
Series S $400

(Price Drops)
One X $300
One S $200
One SAD $100-150

I think they'll keep the One models around for a bit longer to attract people with the lower price and Gamepass, plus xCloud is based on the One S architecture or something I think?
I don't see a point in keeping around an uber cheap Xbox One S or SAD. It's not like these systems are selling well anyway (aside from Black Friday).

What if consoles were supposed to be out this year but were going to be 600-700 and was put on hold because they knew there would be outrage so they waited a year, allowed the tech to drop in price and can now sell it next year at 500?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m guessing both consoles will be $450. $500-600 sounds like it would be a much harder sell to mass market. $450 is kind of pushing it.

The good thing is they are BC with previous gen, so people can sell their old hardware to get a little bit knocked off the new one.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
People spend 800$ on gpus and phones these day, and by people I mean the mass market. I'll eat my words if the price is anything less than 699$. Don't get me wrong tho. I want it to be cheap because I'm a poor eastern european but I doubt it.

Don't eat a large breakfast. It won't be $700.

Vawn

Banned
I hope they release a $399 series S so all you coupon waving trash dont force my series X to be underpowered

I bet it will be more than just a $100 difference in price. But, make no mistake, the X will still be limited by every game having to run on the S as well.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I’m guessing both consoles will be $450. $500-600 sounds like it would be a much harder sell to mass market. $450 is kind of pushing it.

The good thing is they are BC with previous gen, so people can sell their old hardware to get a little bit knocked off the new one.
Console launches are never mass market they are for the core gamer. There will be a price drop once the supply chain kicks in and another for 5nm right around the bend. It makes sense to make a more powerful device that can last longer even if it costs more at first. If it has the horsepower the core gamers will line up. The once the price drops happen so will others.

$399 or it's DOA. There has been no evidence to support the idea that the market will buy a $500 console, especially when said console is from the last place finisher from the previous generation. Would be a terrible, terrible move if true.
I disagree. Last time the most expensive console was the weakest. They'll both push power this time and hover around 500. That's what made xbox one undesirable. Who would want that. This time it'll be game focused. Wait watch and learn.

But, make no mistake, the X will still be limited by every game having to run on the S as well.

Lockhart has all the same hardware, except the part that matters for resolution.

Lockhart: 1080p
Anaconda: 4k

Stop your dishonest console war rhetoric.

Vawn

Banned
Lockhart has all the same hardware, except the part that matters for resolution.

Lockhart: 1080p
Anaconda: 4k

Stop your dishonest console war rhetoric.

So the S has the "1080 p chip" and the X has the "4k chip"? Am I understanding how hardware works correctly? 🤣

So the S has the "1080 p chip" and the X has the "4k chip"? Am I understanding how hardware works correctly? 🤣

Lockhart is said to have the same amount of ram and same cpu as anaconda, just a gpu with less bandwidth, hence 1080p instead of 4k.

Spare us your laughing smilie, fanboy.

MilkyJoe

$399 or it's DOA. There has been no evidence to support the idea that the market will buy a $500 console, especially when said console is from the last place finisher from the previous generation. Would be a terrible, terrible move if true.

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Luckily the Series S will provide a cheaper model. Welcome to inflation

I hope they release a $399 series S so all you coupon waving trash dont force my series X to be underpowered
The snob in me wants your babies

Last edited:
Top Bottom