• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes contributor: Theoretically i see Microsoft pricing the Xbox Series X at $500

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

One of the biggest mistakes Microsoft made at the beginning of the last console generation was to overprice the original Xbox One at $500 compared to Sony’s PS4 at $400. Part of that price increase was due to the inclusion of Kinect which was deemed “essential” to the system at launch. Kinect was an abject failure, but also the original Xbox One was underpowered to boot, and it all made for a disastrous launch. They fell behind at the start and never came anywhere close to catching up.

I do not believe that Microsoft wants to repeat that kind of launch here, even if it means taking a hit with the system.

I could theoretically see Microsoft pricing the Xbox Series X at $500, given that the Xbox One X (destined for a big price drop) has at least set that as the standard for a high end console price in the current market (even though there are cheaper alternatives). And Microsoft does seem like they may be planning to put out some sort of Xbox Series S at some point, a lower spec version of the console, albeit not right at launch, it seems.

In a perfect world, Microsoft could price the Series X at $400, making up for their 2013 mistake, but that might be taking too great of a hit on the hardware side. And at least this time around, if they do price at $500, they can say it’s because of its sheer power, rather than the extra $100 being mainly due to a dongle no one wants, Kinect.

What PlayStation is planning is a mystery. While the Series X is powerful, the PS5 is also supposed to be extremely powerful and may have similar costs. Obviously Sony would love to repeat the $400 price point of the PS4 to potentially undercut Microsoft from the outset again, but Sony needs the profit from console sales more than Microsoft does (Sony is heavily reliant on gaming these days). So in theory, I could see them shaking hands and pricing both super-consoles at $500 this fall.

What I cannot see is anyone trying to sell a $600 console again. No way.

All I know is Xbox SeX won't cost more than PS5. Spencer made that clear and he's right. XOne being 109 bucks more expensive killed its success.

jts

...hate me...
Without a gimmick like Kinect to crank the cost up, then there will be either a significant power gap to show and justify a higher price or the ability to match the other manufacturer’s price.

But I think both will hit $500 at least. They are transitioning to SSD and stuff and that shyt costs. Bleeding edge consoles with strong 4K capabilities. For people not needing as much, there’s still the PS4/XB1.

Reactions: Isa

Woo-Fu

Banned
All I know is Xbox SeX won't cost more than PS5. Spencer made that clear and he's right. XOne being 109 bucks more expensive killed its success.

That's only half of the equation. It could have cost $100 more if it was that much more powerful instead of being effectively weaker. People will pay more if they get more, very few of them will pay more for less, particularly after Microsoft decided it was a good idea to open with an attempt to do away with used games. Still makes me laugh at how ridiculously out of touch they were.

$500 is a non-starter unless it is merely a price point in a line-up, not the sole price point. Could one of the Xbox Series be $500? Sure. Will every model in the series be $500 or more? Only if Microsoft decides they want to go it alone in a very niche market.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
What if the S is $399 and the X is $599?

If PS5 is $499, the $399 looks like a good deal and the people wanting the better hardware could be willing to do $599.

What if the S is $399 and the X is $599?

If PS5 is $499, the $399 looks like a good deal and the people wanting the better hardware could be willing to do $599.

Then PS5 wins, because the 399 Xbox will be the 'loser casual version' that nobody wants, althewhile the 599 version is too expensive.

That won't happen or Microsoft would make a historically incompetent decision.

Microsoft won't take a hit on cost for this thing, so I expect a high price £450.

On the other hand, I want a powerful console, which isn't held back by cheap-arse components because nu-gamers aren't willing to cough up the cash.

Xbox 4: £450
PS5 £500

MilkyJoe

Then PS5 wins, because the 399 Xbox will be the 'loser casual version' that nobody wants, althewhile the 599 version is too expensive.

It's a good thing that kids don't have the purse strings. That's why my nephew was more than happy with his S.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Preorders will open up at least 6 months before launch. Thats plenty of time to save up at 500 for at least one console.

Im aiming for the most powerful offering from both. If both end up with two versions. Just waiting on specs.

TLZ

Banned
My bet’s on $500

and *maybe* a Series S at $400.

kinda like how the 360 launched with a basic edition and a premium.
If the Lockhart really is 4tf and X 12tf, a $100 price difference isn't much. It should be no more than $299 imo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Sony thought this approach could work with the PS3, with the “cheap” 20 GB model at $100 less than the expensive 60 GB one... and it was great value, but people tossed it aside and focused on mocking the $599 price tag.

TimFL

They should just both be $499-599. I don't get where the mindset of "console has to be $399 or dead on arrival" came from, I'm more than willing to pay $599 for a console that'll last me years.
If there's a time to go beyond $399, it's now... I mean they got the perfect selling point right out of the gate anyways: backwards compatibility with last generation games. The "oh no I have to pay hundreds of $$$ AND then some more to play a game" argument was killed once and for all with them going the backwards compatibility route. You'll get access to thousands of games... maybe even older generations like PS2 or PS3 (I doubt it but you never know).

Mattyp

Gold Member
It's a good thing that kids don't have the purse strings. That's why my nephew was more than happy with his S.

Don't you realise that your kid is destined to be a loser casual now instead of counting and arguing about pixel lines on neogaf but?

mcz117chief

That is not how most people think, though. Most common consumers go after "good enough" and consider price to be the most important factor. That is, for example, why you got Oculus Go, Quest and S and all three sell well to different kinds of people. People also keep buying PS4 Slim even with Pro around because Slim is good enough to keep their 10 year old occupied.

Last edited:
That is not how most people think, though. Most common consumers go after "good enough" and consider price to be the most important factor. That is, for example, why you got Oculus Go, Quest and S and all three sell well to different kinds of people. People also keep buying PS4 Slim even with Pro around because Slim is good enough to keep their 10 year old occupied.

This is provenly wrong.

The more expensive 360 was more popular.
The more expensive PS3 was more popular.
The more expensive Wii U was more popular.

People are aware that the cheaper version is 'lesser' in some ways, they view the more expensive version as the 'real' version.

mcz117chief

This is provenly wrong.

The more expensive 360 was more popular.
The more expensive PS3 was more popular.
The more expensive Wii U was more popular.

People are aware that the cheaper version is 'lesser' in some ways, they view the more expensive version as the 'real' version.
If you say so, I just never encountered it in real life and 100% of the people with which I discuss PCs and consoles always go for the cheaper variants. Cheaper graphics cards, cheaper consoles, cheaper monitors etc. I never managed to convince anyone to buy a PS4 Pro, they always reply with "but the cheaper version can play the same games, right?".

Last edited:
If you say so, I just never encountered it in real life and 100% of the people with which I discuss PCs and consoles always go for the cheaper variants. Cheaper graphics cards, cheaper consoles, cheaper monitors etc. I never managed to convince anyone to buy a PS4 Pro, they always reply with "but the cheaper version can play the same games, right?".

If there were 2 PS4 Pro-versions released simultaneously, the more expensive one would be more popular.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I saying £500 tops. Any more than that and it’s suicide. That goes for Sony as well. Even die hard fans are like “nah” at those prices.

I get it’s full of awesome tech, but let’s not forget the whole point of a console is a simple, cheaper alternative to pc gaming. If you go £600 and shot you may as well get yourself a nice little pc.

I would like to say they will launch at £450, but I just don’t know. By now, the S should be £99.99, the SAD should be £79.99 and ended, and the X should be £229.99. Then, the new when can kick off with a £329.99 Lockhart and a £449.99 series X.

But it’s anybodies guess what will happen.

HeresJohnny

$399 or it's DOA. There has been no evidence to support the idea that the market will buy a $500 console, especially when said console is from the last place finisher from the previous generation. Would be a terrible, terrible move if true.

HeresJohnny

Economy has changed and just like phones, consoles will be at least 600 and most likely at 699$. 400 is just day dreaming.
What facts support this stance? People like you and I might buy in at that price, but we are meaningless beyond getting the generation going, it's the mass market buyer they need to attract, which outnumber people like us 100:1

sdrawkcab

Banned
I honestly believe it'll be more around $550 to $600.

While Series S may be about $150 to $200 cheaper.

Many of you are concerned with what you want it to be, and not the realistic cost of producing these things. Even if they don't make a profit and break even (which is usually the case for console sales), I honestly don't see them breaking even at a mere $500 price point.

nVME, 16GB GDDR6 RAM, Navi, faster processor and optical drive? Unless they've found a way to shave costs in other areas, I don't think $500 is happening.

Birdo

Banned
The £440 launch price nearly killed the PS3 in the UK. And that was in 2006 money and economy.

I really don't see these next gen machines selling well for the first few years (Outside of the hardcore fanbase).

Portugeezer

500 is fine for gamers to pay but not the mass market, I would be a bit worried if they can't make 450.

That low powered box should have been cheaper than PS4 once they removed Kinect, but it wasn't, aside from some big sales early on.

Last edited:

xool

Interesting meta question about what happens to the OneX and OneS post Series X launch.

As I understand it the OneX is expensive to make, not sure how much of a drop they can manage -I kindof expect them to drop it day one the SeriesX launches.

Expect the OneS to continue production/sales at a bargain price for a couple years after.

The One X is in an awkward price spot though, after 2020

Not less than $449, not more than $549

sdrawkcab

Banned
$399 or it's DOA. There has been no evidence to support the idea that the market will buy a $500 console, especially when said console is from the last place finisher from the previous generation. Would be a terrible, terrible move if true.

Honestly, I think at this point gamers are being ridiculous. They want all the power and performance, but don't want to pay for it? It's absurd and unreasonable, if you ask me. Everything else is scaling up, including phones and powerful PCs - to get the best, you can't pay the cheapest or expect the cheapest. The only pro consoles have over many other models is that consoles make most of their money through software. Still though, expecting this to be $400 is sheer insanity, and I'd even say disrespectful. What do you guys think this is made of? Cardboard and memory foam? Be real and be fair!

In fact, I hope to God Sony raises their price bar as well, so the entire industry (Nintendo) can progress without these unreasonable demands/expectations from spoilt gamers!

I hope they both start at $550 or $600. Then what are y'all going to do? You'll have no choice but to buy! You really think it's fair that these boxes include all of that tech, and can easily lap gaming PCs that cost upwards of $800, but be priced at $400? Fair to who? Fair to you? Give me a break!

These spoilt cry-baby gamers need to either get jobs, budgets or get off the internet. Why don't you start saving for it from now, like a smart, responsible adult? You have 12 months to save at least $600usd. If you can't do that in 12 months, maybe you have much bigger things to worry about than your petty little gaming needs!

And when I say "you", I'm not necessarily referring to you Johnny, but people who have this entitled, myopic and downright asinine way of seeing the world.

Yeah it will be 499 dollars and 425-450 pounds.

Lockart probably 299 dollars and 250 pounds.

High chance I reckon that PS5 lands in the middle.

Vawn

Banned
I consider $500 the minimum possible price for both Series X and PS5.

Series S will probably be at least $150 cheaper than Series X.

ethomaz

Banned
The issue was not being more expensive but being more expensive and weaker.

If you are weaker and wants to be competitive you should be cheaper... XB1 should be $100-150 cheaper than PS4 at launch.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What facts support this stance? People like you and I might buy in at that price, but we are meaningless beyond getting the generation going, it's the mass market buyer they need to attract, which outnumber people like us 100:1

People spend 800$ on gpus and phones these day, and by people I mean the mass market. I'll eat my words if the price is anything less than 699$. Don't get me wrong tho. I want it to be cheap because I'm a poor eastern european but I doubt it.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Honestly, I think at this point gamers are being ridiculous. They want all the power and performance, but don't want to pay for it? It's absurd and unreasonable, if you ask me. Everything else is scaling up, including phones and powerful PCs - to get the best, you can't pay the cheapest or expect the cheapest. The only pro consoles have over many other models is that consoles make most of their money through software. Still though, expecting this to be $400 is sheer insanity, and I'd even say disrespectful. What do you guys think this is made of? Cardboard and memory foam? Be real and be fair!

In fact, I hope to God Sony raises their price bar as well, so the entire industry (Nintendo) can progress without these unreasonable demands/expectations from spoilt gamers!

I hope they both start at $550 or $600. Then what are y'all going to do? You'll have no choice but to buy! You really think it's fair that these boxes include all of that tech, and can easily lap gaming PCs that cost upwards of $800, but be priced at $400? Fair to who? Fair to you? Give me a break!

These spoilt cry-baby gamers need to either get jobs, budgets or get off the internet. Why don't you start saving for it from now, like a smart, responsible adult? You have 12 months to save at least $600usd. If you can't do that in 12 months, maybe you have much bigger things to worry about than your petty little gaming needs!

And when I say "you", I'm not necessarily referring to you Johnny, but people who have this entitled, myopic and downright asinine way of seeing the world.
Agreed that there is a power to cost ratio and that the demands of the consumer perhaps exceed the ability to bring out powerful hardware at a price they'll buy in at. But that's the rub: if this shit were easy, everyone would be doing it. The hardcore market that hangs out on GAF isn't enough to carry a healthy ecosystem for a console, so they have to figure out a way to get the person who would like to play new games, but thinks he might wait because he just bought a PS4 when it dropped to $250 a year ago and to his eyes, the graphics still look great and there's a huge library of games he hasn't played that can be bought cheap. Building desire for our ilk is easy; hell, I buy new electronics just for the damn smell lol. But I'm not representative of the market, really none of us are here.

HeresJohnny

People spend 800$ on gpus and phones these day, and by people I mean the mass market. I'll eat my words if the price is anything less than 699$. Don't get me wrong tho. I want it to be cheap because I'm a poor eastern european but I doubt it.
How many people buy $800 GPUs? And comparing consoles to phones is pointless. At this point, a phone is a culturally important device; gaming consoles aren't in the same vein at all.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Microsoft isn’t going to repeat its mistakes from the Xbox One with its next-generation Xbox console. “I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming chief, in an interview with The Verge. “If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success.”

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
How many people buy $800 GPUs? And comparing consoles to phones is pointless. At this point, a phone is a culturally important device; gaming consoles aren't in the same vein at all.

Gaming is extremely important these days, it's as big as the movie industry. 10 years ago things were different.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The writing is on the wall these machines will cost more than last generation. Last generation was made on budget with its lower end components like the netbook CPU,low end cooling and low speed storage. This time around both devices will have much more fire power under the hood. Thet will have top speed storage, respectable CPU, good cooling and very nice GPU. These are not made on the cheap and will cost more to make and will cost more to purchase. I think 499.99 will be more than fair for what is under the hood much better bargain than the 399.99 of last generation.

mcz117chief

Gaming is extremely important these days, it's as big as the movie industry. 10 years ago things were different.
Pretty sure that gaming is skewed heavily because of massive whales when it comes to F2P and mobile gaming in general and ultra enthusiasts who buy the most powerful pc components every gen. One person like that can easily substitute for over a hundred or even thousands of moviegoers.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

500€ for séries X
300€ for series S
That’s my bet.
I’ll buy series X day one and will keep my one X in my bedroom , it’s used for online play with wife in the bedroom (46 ‘ lcd 1080p) and me in the living room (65’’ oled 4K)
I will consider series S as a second console only if games are tied to the new generation or play really better on a 1080p display. (Maybe because of the processor)

splattered

I see it at 500 sure... 600 if I have to and would have no regrets. And I gotta buy two for my household.

Imagine if MS drops the Lockhart as an X1X/surface hybrid with a gorgeous screen and much beefier specs than Switch at $300.

That would be incredible haha

Top Bottom