• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Marvel & DC Fans: Stop Rooting Against Each Other's Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Besides, DC has owned Marvel in animation since...well, forever and ever. So, fans have all kinds of outlets for the nerd one up manship

Because they are invested and protective of the MCU and see Fox and Sony as keeping it incomplete through corporate greed and contractual bullshit. Even though Marvel would have sunk if it wasnt for Sony and Fox taking the real risk in the first place and making superheroes in cinema a thing. Also possibly cause many people find Marvel movies to have a higher general quality to them compared to the highs and lows of Sony and Fox.
I'm one of the peeps that enjoyed Amazing 1&2, Origins Wolverine and to a degree X3 so it just kind of rings hollow to me lol. I'm willing to put up with downturns because I've seen just how high their highs are when in the right hands. The Singer X-Men movies are entirely different than the spectacle of Marvel. And though I didn't like the leads of Raimi's Spiderflicks it had the source material down in some fundamental ways.
Since a kid I've always felt it would be better for everybody for the X-Men to be in their own pocket, and the shitty stories that have come from mixing the Avengers and X-Teams recently have reaffirmed it.

But Spider-Man on the Avengers would be a different story and would be totally awesome. Plus, the whole "he's a menace thing" works in the MCU. In that universe, everybody knows who all the Avengers are, so while the Hulk being on there doesn't make a tone of sense, having Banner there does. Having a masked guy that has been accused of committing crimes (falsely) would be different.
Completely agree on X-Men.

Spider-Man I can see where you're coming from.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Besides, DC has owned Marvel in animation since...well, forever and ever. So, fans have all kinds of outlets for the nerd one up manship

When Marvel makes a better movie (animated or live action) than Mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker I will be very happy. And shocked

WanderingWind

In any event, it's a damn cool time to be a comic fan. People acting like this shit has always been around. You weren't there trying to watch VHS copies of Generation X, or having to pretend that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends wasn't crap. You don't know the horrors of M.A.N.T.I.S.

It's the Golden Age of the Comic Nerd. DC or superior Marvel fanboys should just relax and enjoy the ride.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
In any event, it's a damn cool time to be a comic fan. People acting like this shit has always been around. You weren't there trying to watch VHS copies of Generation X, or having to pretend that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends wasn't crap. You don't know the horrors of M.A.N.T.I.S.

It's the Golden Age of the Comic Nerd. DC or superior Marvel fanboys should just relax and enjoy the ride.

My fanboyism is dedicated to Image, Vertigo (RIP) and the indie scene (and more importantly to certain creators and runs). I'm glad I'm outside the war between the Big 2.

Speaking as someone that had NBC's Spider-Man show taped on VHS, and Gen X as well. These youngin's really don't know how good they got it.

I had to pretend Lois and Clark the New Adventures of Superman was good! Someone will then chime in saying it was good. Then I remind them Clark marries a Clone of Lois and the big reveal that she is a clone is her eating a live fucking frog! Because pseudoscience reasons!

I don't get why people root so hard for these companies to fail. You have your favorite super heroes, so does the next guy. Announcing a bunch of films isn't anything to brag about. Wait for the films to actually be released and deliver first.

WanderingWind

My fanboyism is dedicated to Image, Vertigo (RIP) and the indie scene (and more importantly to certain creators and runs). I'm glad I'm outside the war between the Big 2.

But Hellblazer is getting a TV show!

....sorry.

Speaking as someone that had NBC's Spider-Man show taped on VHS, and Gen X as well. These youngin's really don't know how good they got it.

I had to pretend Lois and Clark the New Adventures of Superman was good! Someone will then chime in saying it was good. Then I remind them Clark marries a Clone of Lois and the big reveal that she is a clone is her eating a live fucking frog! Because pseudoscience reasons!

Ahahahaha...man. Those were some dark times. When people are like "Avengers sucked" I'm like, compared to what? I feel this is like when old people are just grateful when they piss when they have to, or a ex-convict just enjoys the sunshine or some shit.

I mean, Elektra was garbage, right, but was it worse than Dean Cain's entire existence? I dunno. I leave those types of questions to the bigwigs in Washington. I'll just get stoked for Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel making it to the big screen.

....sorry.

Ahahahaha...man. Those were some dark times. When people are like "Avengers sucked" I'm like, compared to what? I feel this is like when old people are just grateful when they piss when they have to, or a ex-convict just enjoys the sunshine or some shit.

I mean, Elektra was garbage, right, but was it worse than Dean Cain's entire existence? I dunno. I leave those types of questions to the bigwigs in Washington. I'll just get stoked for Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel making it to the big screen.
Now we've got perfectly good TV shows in Flash, Arrow, Agents of Shield, with a ton more on the way.

Marvel has built a full movie universe with insane budgets, and DC is jumping into the foray with Wonder Woman, Shazam, Flash, Freaking Justice League is going to get a quarter of a billion budget movie!

Now videogames need to step the fuck up.

obin_gam

It's entertaining to watch fanboys war over the films, but it is harmless.

Both sides go to see all these films regardless--whether it's Marvel or DC doesn't really matter much, only the tryhards take it seriously.

The only harm it does is to themselves.
The more "fans" bicker and shout at eachohter, the more The Big Bang Theory-characters become how people regard nerds and geeks.

If only Marvel/Disney would actually try to make a decent animated movie or tv show for that matter. Cause DC has been hitting it out of the park when were talking animated shows/movies.

Cwarrior

Both sides need to swallow their pride, overcome their differences, and work together to get Bryan Singer out of the comic book movie business.

Fixed, he is the true enemy set to ruin comic book movies,cartoons and comic books with his terrible movies.

kswiston

Most people rooting against either Marvel or DC still end up seeing the majority of both, so from a business perspective it doesn't matter.

Trike

....sorry.

laughed way too hard at this

Percy

Banned
It's just my perspective of course, but it's kind of hard to be optimistic about any DC superhero movie considering the only ones that haven't been garbage are the Batman movies, and even then Dark Knight Rises was borderline at times.

I'm not saying all the Marvel stuff is great (Iron Man 2 really was such a piece of shit), but it's so far managed to produce more consistently entertaining product than WB have with their DC properties, so I'm not inclined to cheerlead the idea of an Aquaman or "Shazam" movie just yet.

That said, I'm not exactly wetting my pants with excitement over a Doctor Strange or Black Panther movie either.

They're all free to prove me wrong at any time though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If only Marvel/Disney would actually try to make a decent animated movie or tv show for that matter. Cause DC has been hitting it out of the park when were talking animated shows/movies.

Too bad cartoon network cancelled all their good stuff. I'd rather watch Young Justice than any Marvel movie (and probably the upcoming DC movies).

Tobor

I don't hate on DC, Fox, and Sony because they aren't Marvel Studios. I hate on them because their movies generally stink.

The big difference in my opinion is Kevin Feige. The other companies don't have anyone of his caliber in power and it shows.

Penguin

While I agree with the general sentiment, I would also say that a lot of websites are extremely guilty in keeping this type of mentality alive because it does bring in hits.

I'm sure Forbes probably has articles on how "X and Y is good or bad for Marvel or DC"

I wonder if DC's movies will be just as cooke cutter and homogenized as Marvel's? I'm hoping that DC actually lets writers/directors execute their visions. No matter how many times people say each Marvel film is it's own genre, I can't help but see just how similar they all are?

If they go the general mcu route with their films then they can piss off too tbh

For marvel I'm really excited for cap 3 and guardians 2. Judging by previous mcu efforts I'll doubt the rest of them are good until I see some of them. They really do all blend together for the most part

As for dc I'm really excited for BvS because it's the biggest character partnership in comic books for me. Hopefully it's good, if not then what a shame. The other reason why I'm looking forward to DCU more than marvel is that with marvel you know the general quality you're gonna get with their movies. Some ppl here really like that, I dont. Dc is unknown at the moment, all I can do is speculate

All i can hope for any of these marvel or DC movies is that they pick creative teams that interest me. Because IPs alone can't carry a film imo

Big reason why I think xmen will be the best of all of them. Singer hasn't let me down at all with his xmen movies so naturally I put my chips on that one.

Tabby

Zack Snyder gets way too much hate. That's all I have to say on this subject.
He's not even a bad director. I honestly do not get all the hate.
I'm glad he's directing BvS and JL. He's at visuals and special effects and for that reason he's great for JL.

I think at least on this forum everyone would agree there is a general favorability of marvel over dc which you can gauge from the first few pages of either of the two companies where if one makes a drastic announcement it is levied with praised and the other has the consistent this will be a disaster theme

I can only speak for me, but: my cynicism regarding the DCCU has nothing to do with wanting WB's efforts to fail, and everything to do with Man of Steel being an absolutely terrible foundation for a shared DCU.

I know Goyer is gone, and thank god for that, but nothing I've seen or heard of BvS has convinced me yet that it'll be much of a departure from MoS' dour, "realistic" tone, and I think they're making some very questionable decisions as to what characters to introduce and how.

Too bad cartoon network cancelled all their good stuff. I'd rather watch Young Justice than any Marvel movie (and probably the upcoming DC movies).

That cliffhanger still hurts. I was really hoping that Cartoon Network would just transition it into Justice League.

There really isn't any good animated Marvel/DC show on tv atm.

I'm going to reserve my judgment until BvS is out, but if it's not a massive improvement over MoS I can't see myself getting excited for the rest of DC's slate.

The only movies I would actively rail against are Sony's Spider-Man and Fox's Fantastic Four, because neither of those companies have any idea how to use those characters. And yes, I think those rights would be much better utilized under Marvel's care. (Doom as the Phase 4 villain would be amazing, admit it)

If the DCCU ends up being legit, it's pretty much going to be the golden age of action movies between them and Marvel.

Marvel & DC Fans: Stop Rooting Against Each Other's Films

Code for "Stop potentially turning ppl away from ticket sales because of team faves. All that matters is you spend money on anything that comes out."

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I dont think i ever rooted against a comic book movie

how ever i have and do criticize some pre-production and production decisions, but not danm the final product until i see it.

Superman vs Batman is in that spot now. Alot of the news out of that movie are not making me comfortable.

Frog-fu

Banned
This is one of those fandom rivalries I'll never understand.

Admittedly, I'm more of a Marvel guy, I suppose, when it comes down to my favourite series, but I still love Batman, and I'll watch the shit out of any DC films.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm going to reserve my judgment until BvS is out, but if it's not a massive improvement over MoS I can't see myself getting excited for the rest of DC's slate.

The only movies I would actively rail against are Sony's Spider-Man and Fox's Fantastic Four, because neither of those companies have any idea how to use those characters. And yes, I think those rights would be much better utilized under Marvel's care. (Doom as the Phase 4 villain would be amazing, admit it)

If the DCCU ends up being legit, it's pretty much going to be the golden age of action movies between them and Marvel.

To be fair, I'm wouldnt be confident in Marvel doing the FF justice either. Guardians wasnt nearly outlandish and crazy enough for me to believe it and even in the comics the FF have very few great runs because its tough to work with them. When they are good though, its amazing.

Penguin

I can only speak for me, but: my cynicism regarding the DCCU has nothing to do with wanting WB's efforts to fail, and everything to do with Man of Steel being an absolutely terrible foundation for a shared DCU.

I know Goyer is gone, and thank god for that, but nothing I've seen or heard of BvS has convinced me yet that it'll be much of a departure from MoS' dour, "realistic" tone, and I think they're making some very questionable decisions as to what characters to introduce and how.

See to me, this makes logical sense

Your qualms is with how DC is starting their universe, and not them not doing it the Marvel way or trying to get the Avengers money.

Similar arguments, but framed as their problem.. and not their problem because not doing it the same.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did he really spend a bunch of time writing an article asking people on the internet to stop getting into nerd fights?

9303557199_ec1b3ea791_o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom