• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Microsoft’s ‘No Xbox Series X Exclusives’ Philosophy Is Not As Wild As It Sounds

thelastword

Banned
You're harming your own self interests defending this, it's unbelievable how much you Xbox diehards can take from MS and still try to pretend everything is good (but you're destroyed inside).

Enjoy playing up-scaled XB1 games whilst PS5 owners get to enjoy a true generational leap in experiences, which you can bet your pituitary gland are coming from SSM, GG, Naught Dog, Sucker Punch and Insomniac. I'm telling you, it will blow us away. As you're playing Forza 10 and Halo, you'll look back and think why did I defend this shit, nothing much has changed from last gen to this on Xbox, just better res and slightly framerate.
The crazy thing is, next gen when all these Sony games get high scores on Meta and people buy them in droves, they will be talking up their 50-60% meta games as "Fun" and declare that Sony games are vastly overrated, there is bias in the media for Sony games etc...even though the Sony games would be the games breaking the barrier with next gen graphics, physics, Ai, worlds, level design...….

If you're "annoyed" you're the one who's emotional lol. Couldn't even come up with a good rebuttal to my last post. Sorry you're so "annoyed". You should go outside for a little while bud.

Cuz right now you're up there with tlw and danielsm lol
I mean you're still doing it right now, actively being annoying. I'm not irritated, I'm not angry, I'm not emotionally affected by your presence it's just kind of shocking how someone can be so completely ignorant and sure of what they're saying at the same time.

Even this response to what I said to you previously, I mean what's wrong with you? I not only answered what you said I went far beyond it to quell your fake concerns, and this post right here is you not having any form of a response to that.

You're a real winner, bud.

The crazy thing is, next gen when all these Sony games get high scores on Meta and people buy them in droves, they will be talking up their 50-60% meta games as "Fun" and declare that Sony games are vastly overrated, there is bias in the media for Sony games etc...even though the Sony games would be the games breaking the barrier with next gen graphics, physics, Ai, worlds, level design...….
The crazy thing is you thinking there's some assurance for either side in terms of delivering or failing, that's a state of pure delusion.

The capability to execute previously does not ensure that you will in the future, and the inability to execute previously also does not ensure that you will in the future.

This industry is a constant state of change, tastes, expectations, and technology. You're inferring that this will harm games on the Series X yet at the same time playing up all of these space age advancements we're supposedly going to see in next-gen games. You think these developers are capable of delivering these mind bending new experiences yet you think they can't figure out how to retrofit them to an older piece of hardware.

I mean, are you for real lol?

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I mean you're still doing it right now, actively being annoying. I'm not irritated, I'm not angry, I'm not emotionally affected by your presence it's just kind of shocking how someone can be so completely ignorant and sure of what they're saying at the same time.

Even this response to what I said to you previously, I mean what's wrong with you? I not only answered what you said I went far beyond it to quell your fake concerns, and this post right here is you not having any form of a response to that.

The crazy thing is you thinking there's some assurance for either side in terms of delivering or failing, that's a state of pure delusion.

The capability to execute previously does not ensure that you will in the future, and the inability to execute previously also does not ensure that you will in the future.

This industry is a constant state of change, tastes, expectations, and technology. You're eliciting that this will harm games on the Series X yet at the same time playing up all of these space age advancements we're supposedly going to see in next-gen games. You think these developers are capable of delivering these mind bending new experiences yet you think they can't figure out how to retrofit them to an older piece of hardware.

Nothing is wrong with me lol. Im not the one crying that im "annoyed". Still ignored the other post but its ok, i know you're incapable of making decent unbiased reply so you cry "annoying, annoying" but say you're not emotional. Take a break lol.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Ohhhh man so glad you're here. Now the special Olympics between you and dc can begin 🙌🙌🙌

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I hear Knack 3 will be amazing.

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong with me lol. Im not the one crying that im "annoyed". Still ignored the other post but its ok, i know you're incapable of making decent unbiased reply so you cry "annoying, annoying" but say you're not emotional. Take a break lol.
Shit posting isn't going to get you very far, people being critical of you isn't crying.

What kind of reply are you looking for? Your posts are by and large junk that have to be sifted through to garner some form of substance. What is this dumb shit?

"You're harming your own self interests defending this, it's unbelievable how much you Xbox diehards can take from MS and still try to pretend everything is good (but you're destroyed inside)."

I'm harming my self interests? I'm taking something from Microsoft implying there's some kind of negative expectation here? I'm being destroyed inside?

Are you even real? What kind of overdramatic nonsensical trash is this?

This industry is a constant state of change, tastes, expectations, and technology. You're inferring that this will harm games on the Series X yet at the same time playing up all of these space age advancements we're supposedly going to see in next-gen games. You think these developers are capable of delivering these mind bending new experiences yet you think they can't figure out how to retrofit them to an older piece of hardware.

Oh calm down. People are just trying to tell you releasing a new gen without any exclusives is disappointing, it's unprecedented. Stop the insults.

Sure, you can easily defend it by saying 'it'll just be fine', like Xbox having only 1 good exclusive (that was on PC too dont forget) the last 2 years is 'just fine' because they 'have a different strategy to Sony'.

Noone is talking about 'spaceage' experiences, but being blown away by a new gen is expected. Suddenly because the new Xbox hasnt got any exclusives, history has been revised and next gen means 'more of the same for the first 2 years anyway'

Are YOU for real? I remember like it was yesterday discussing on here how technically mindblowing Shadowfall was compared to anything on PS3. Same with InFamous: SS. You see I've been around a long while, I know how these launches work sonny jim.

Mass Shift

The same people crying about exclusives would also be crying if MS money hatted timed exclusives at launch.

Last edited:
Oh calm down. People are just trying to tell you releasing a new gen without any exclusives is disappointing, it's unprecedented. Stop the insults.

Sure, you can easily defend it by saying 'it'll just be fine', like Xbox having only 1 good exclusive (that was on PC too dont forget) the last 2 years is 'just fine' because they 'have a different strategy to Sony'.

Noone is talking about 'spaceage' experiences, but being blown away by a new gen is expected. Suddenly because the new Xbox hasnt got any exclusives, history has been revised and next gen means 'more of the same for the first 2 years anyway'

Are YOU for real? I remember like it was yesterday discussing on here how technically mindblowing Shadowfall was compared to anything on PS3. Same with InFamous: SS. You see I've been around a long while, I know how these launches work sonny jim.
It means more of the same in your mind because for some reason you people believe developers to be incapable of handling a scaling operation, or porting down and tuning to a lower spec even when hit with direct examples of it taking place and mind you for the very company we're speaking of. You believe that a next-gen game cannot be made to work on last generation hardware when the reality is that most early next-generation differences stem from the graphics pipeline while there's very little difference in terms of mechanical operation.

Killzone Shadow Fall was at the time something impressive to look at but functionally it was more of the same from the 7th generation. Infamous Second Son was fantastic looking but overall could work on last generation hardware from a mechanical standpoint. Even the travesty that was Knack, the PlayStation 3 couldn't render that game, but it absolutely could replicate its mechanical makeup while operating a severely paired back variation of the graphics engine.

To add to this and I've stated this repeatedly to absolutely no acknowledgement or avail, these new consoles are merely a large step up on the same architectural roadmap from the same company on both the CPU and GPU. This isn't like trying to get an x86 game up and running on PowerPC or Cell where there's convolution in the porting process due to the rift in architecture, they're both derived from the very hardware we play on currently. If these machines had Windows installed on them and the games were hypothetically created under that OS and the DirectX API you could take this PlayStation 5 game and launch it on the PlayStation 4 as it's coded, it would run, the results wouldn't be great but the hardware could execute the operation as the integral feature sets of the hardware itself are all roughly the same.

These are nothing more than pre-fabricated PC's running a custom shell, that's all they are. That's all the current consoles are, that's all Series X and PlayStation 5 will be. To add to this you completely glossed over what I said about Microsoft currently targeting 60 FPS in their games, next-gen it will undoubtedly be in everything. This from the onset gives the developers porting down a lot of verticality and more room to work with on the CPU because they can immediately halve the CPU render budget and make the game 30 FPS on what will be last generation Xbox's dramatically lessening the CPU performance requirements. Then there's multiple other things they can scale back which can free up CPU resources even further, things I already went over at length.

Is the SSD a problem either? No, they simply introduce loading where there is none or make it happen more frequently. They can ramp up occlusion culling, they can lessen the draw distance, introduce simpler and more frequent LoD swaps, decrease geometry complexity, scale back on screen AI influences or introduce more rudimentary AI, they can scale back animation frames at distance. There's so many different ways they can make this work that doesn't result in the build on Series X being anything but a next-gen game.

I know what you guys are saying, I get where you're coming from, but it's wholly ridiculous.

Grinchy

Banned
With how much shit people are defending here I think the next step for the xbox community is to call Sony WWS incompetents since they can't release a PS4 version of a PS5 game. lol
I think the funniest part is that this is being heralded as some pro-consumer move. For one year, you can play 1st party XSX games on Xbox One.

After that year, they will be XSX-only. The fact that anyone can see that as anything other than MS just not having real XSX software ready until a year later is mind-blowing. They think this is actually some amazing and altruistic new Phil-osophy :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ruvikx

Banned
That's because the people crying about exclusives never had any intention of buying an Xbox and are just assholes.

The last Sony exclusive I enjoyed was Bloodborne. I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn (I managed 19 hours of repetitious boredom & then quit) & would rather see Guerrilla Games make another Killzone instead. I also would rather play Uncharted with Nathan Drake than The Last of Us. God of War? I also preferred the originals. And where's my Resistance Fall of Man gone? So for me, it's all about the multiplatform titles (which currently look better on the One X in most cases) & gamepass. Sony has a good store, no denying that (their deals are often really good), but their exclusives haven't been my own focus this gen on the ps4.

Why would these people buy Xbox when all its games are on PC and the new one isnt getting any exclusives for 2 years?

Because a PC requires upgraded hardware in & of itself + tinkering with settings? (which some of us find really annoying). If the rumors are correct & the Series X is more powerful, you'll have people enjoying the best console version of the next Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty & other AAA cross platform titles whilst folks here act all indignant & pretend people are idiots for buying a Series X.

Console warriors eh.

I think the funniest part is that this is being heralded as some pro-consumer move. For one year, you can play 1st party XSX games on Xbox One.

After that year, they will be XSX-only. The fact that anyone can see that as anything other than MS just not having real XSX software ready until a year later is mind-blowing. They think this is actually some amazing and altruistic new Phil-osophy :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I already told you what they could have done, whatever they have coming they could have just hardlined them and made them Series X exclusive even if that wasn't its platform of birth. Why are you so confident that Sony didn't hardline PS4 birthed games as early PlayStation 5 exclusives?

You get way too ahead of yourselves.

Why would these people buy Xbox when all its games are on PC and the new one isnt getting any exclusives for 2 years?
Why does this trend in poorly thought out comment keep making the rounds. Why is it still some surprise to you people that there's well over 100 million people that engage video games via a console with no interest in PC. Why are we still having this dumb conversation?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
  1. They don't want or can't afford a gaming PC that would even come close to being equivalent.
  2. They have recognized that Game Pass is the greatest value in gaming and is best on the console.
  3. No true next gen exclusives will come out in the first year or two of any new console launch, so this is a non-story.

Dory16

Banned
This whole conversation is ridiculous. Did the Hellblade 2 trailer at the Game awards appear to anyone as "watered down" by the Xbox one S?
Did Phil say "taking full advantage of the Xbox Series X" or "taking full advantage of all the Xbox family of consoles"?
Is anyone questioning the quality of what we've seen from Hellblade 2? Because Digital foundry is still puzzled as to whether current gaming technology is capable of creating that type of non pre-rendered graphics.
The acrobatics some people are ready to engage into in order to turn pro-consumer news into somehow a let down of consumers, all for the sake of plastic box crusades is simply comical to me.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This whole conversation is ridiculous. Did the Hellblade 2 trailer at the Game awards appear to anyone as "watered down" by the Xbox one S?
Did Phil say "taking full advantage of the Xbox Series X" or "taking full advantage of all the Xbox family of consoles"?
Is anyone questioning the quality of what we've seen from Hellblade 2? Because Digital foundry is still puzzled as to whether current gaming technology is capable of creating that type of non pre-rendered graphics.
The acrobatics some people are ready to engage into in order to turn pro-consumer news into somehow a let down of consumers, all for the sake of plastic box crusades is simply comical to me.

It looked good but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s based off a boring game that no one bought and potential of it will be impacted by the gimped base Xbox.

1. They don't want or can't afford a gaming PC that would even come close to being equivalent.
  2. They have recognized that Game Pass is the greatest value in gaming and is best on the console.
  3. No true next gen exclusives will come out in the first year or two of any new console launch, so this is a non-story.

Building a PC with equivslent specs to Xbox is cheap. I know I've done it.

And yes, it's more or less confirmed that PS5 will have true next gen experiences at launch. Let's come back to your post after the games are revealed and see how badly it ages.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
All of you are mother fuckers, y’all living in the past.

My daughters camera has snake on it. SNAKE. Fuck your SSDs and terrawanks, this shits the real deal. Bet your punk ass PS5 doesn’t do this, bitches.

sjUqQLv.jpg

thelastword

Banned

Yes, precedence determines a lot, if a manufacturer makes it a habit of delivering top quality games and new IP's every gen without fail, it's what I expect from them going forward...…..Of course anything can change, but people don't base future prospects on bad trends as opposed to good trends, we want to know the bad trends just to stay away from those.....So yes, I'll pitch my tent on good trends everyday, because in Sony's 25 years in this industry, they have always delivered on the games....

I hear Knack 3 will be amazing.
You must be Miss Cleo then, because Knack 1 and 2 were pretty solid and entertaining games, your powers of prediction is amazing.....Say what you want about Knack, it can't step in the footsteps of Lococyle and Crimson Dragon though, that's for sure....

SleepDoctor

Banned

You're using a cinematic trailer that was possibly running on PC to fuel your argument? Lol come on now.

Yes, precedence determines a lot, if a manufacturer makes it a habit of delivering top quality games and new IP's every gen without fail, it's what I expect from them going forward...…..Of course anything can change, but people don't base future prospects on bad trends as opposed to good trends, we want to know the bad trends just to stay away from those.....So yes, I'll pitch my tent on good trends everyday, because in Sony's 25 years in this industry, they have always delivered on the games....
You're basically operating your gaming prospects on a gambler's fallacy. You're free to do as you please but don't presume to know the future.

thelastword

Banned
You're basically operating your gaming prospects on a gambler's fallacy. You're free to do as you please but don't presume to know the future.
Yes, a gambler that has been winning for 25 years......He knows a good hand when he sees it....,On the other hand, he's seen many bluffs on the other side of the table......been there done that......

Yes, a gambler that has been winning for 25 years......He knows a good hand when he sees it....,On the other hand, he's seen many bluffs on the other side of the table......been there done that......
It's not winning when you also lose, their record with games isn't perfection and there's actually a decent number of crapshoots.

Dory16

Banned
Funny because it's a family orientated game and has been from the start. I play Knack co-op with my 10 year old and he loves it. If he finds out Knack 3 is exclusive to PS5, he'll be on at me to get a PS5, no question.....See what Sony did there? Genius.
Time for a new hobby my friend don't you think? I think the 10 year old would prefer to play knack with Billy, the other 10 y.o. the game was designed for. I mean it's a free country but to carry Sony's water on forums over Knack, I think you have more to lose than that.

GHG

Gold Member
You're using a cinematic trailer that was possibly running on PC to fuel your argument? Lol come on now.

It wasn't possibly anything, it was.

Because a PC requires upgraded hardware in & of itself + tinkering with settings? (which some of us find really annoying). If the rumors are correct & the Series X is more powerful, you'll have people enjoying the best console version of the next Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty & other AAA cross platform titles whilst folks here act all indignant & pretend people are idiots for buying a Series X.

Well so much for "when everyone plays we all win". That lasted long.

thelastword

Banned
Funny because it's a family orientated game and has been from the start. I play Knack co-op with my 10 year old and he loves it. If he finds out Knack 3 is exclusive to PS5, he'll be on at me to get a PS5, no question.....See what Sony did there? Genius.
Don't forget, all the kids want to play is Gears, Halo and Forza...……..Ohh, but all Sony games are the same, but then there's Knack, Concrete Genie, Dreams....and rumors of a PlayStation All Stars for PS5's launch...…..If we get a new knack to round up the library with Godfall et al, that would be pretty sweet......

Dory16

Banned
An insider already said it was off pc lol no need to get hurt about it.
Oh really, an "insider"? Just curious,, that "insider" said the PC in question was targeting the specs of the Series X or of the Xbox One S?
You never know, it may be an "insider" better informed than Phil Spencer. Ask him how many missions Halo infinite will have, I mean he's an "insider" after all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah Digital Foundry, those guys that got paid for marketing XB1X with that exclusice reveal a while back. I dont trust anything they say after that.
Did they actually get paid, or you mean because they got an exclusive reveal, they marketed the OneX? Because I didn't trust them at the start of the current gen in 2013, when they were saying that there was an obvious difference between CoD on PS4 and Xbox One, while the PS4 version wasn't updated with the correct visuals yet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fox Mulder

A console launch is when hardcore buy at the highest price and the first year is often launch junk and cross gen games anyways.

I’m already not really interested in anything MS is doing now and will wait to see how their first party studio purchases turn out. No Series X console exclusives for the first couple years is irrelevant to me.

Did they actually get paid, or you mean because they got an exclusive reveal, they marketed the OneX? Because I didn't trust them at the start of the current gen in 2013, when they were saying that there was an obvious difference between CoD on PS4 and Xbox One, while the PS4 version wasn't updated with the correct visuals yet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes I remember that very clearly. Leadbetter, a huge MS fanboy by his own admission, goes back further still in his bias when he would skew his conclusions very dramatically in favour of the 360 over the PS3 for miniscule differences in fps or IQ. Literally miniscule, where he'd show zoomed in shots and you still couldnt see much difference!

DF never disclosed the 'deal' with MS over the XB1X exclusivity, and that added to past miscretions means they are not an objective source of info by any stretch.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I remember that very clearly. Leadbetter, a huge MS fanboy by his own admission, goes back further still in his bias when he would skew his conclusions very dramatically in favour of the 360 over the PS3 for minuscule differences in fps or IQ. Literally minuscule, where he'd show zoomed in shots and you still couldn't see much difference!

DF never disclosed the 'deal' with MS over the XB1X exclusivity, and that added to past miscretions means they are not an objective source of info by any stretch.
Honestly in gaming, I don't really believe in credible and objective sources. Just look at both exclusive events and at their games. Look at what you and your friends find important, buy that system and have fun.

ruvikx

Banned
Well so much for "when everyone plays we all win". That lasted long.

I don't even get the context, relevance or meaning of this quote. It's quite clear the Series X has appeal to loads of people, i.e. play Halo Infinite & the multiplatform titles on better hardware than the One S & One X. Personally speaking I'm currently on the fence before deciding to get one of the new consoles & I'll choose based upon specs & price as I've always done, i.e. when I got a ps4 before an Xbox One based on its better hardware & also when I used to play most multiplatform titles from the previous gen on the 360 because they performed better on Microsoft's console.

I'm one of those console players who believes power matters & doesn't choose based on exclusives because they rarely my favorite games. So watching the meltdown here is quite something, i.e. when I was playing Destiny on the ps4 I wasn't thinking "oh shit I've wasted my moneys because this game is on the 360 & ps3 as well". Nope.

Three

Are we talking first party here or not? I realize Obsidian is now first party but that game was already baked in before they ever landed in Microsoft's lap.

Gears 5 was developed downwardly, Forza Horizon 4 was developed downwardly, the games and studios who produce these graphically intense games where these hyperbolic statements are being leveraged develop top down.

And you think Sony is in some radically different position? Did it ever cross your mind that the same situation presented itself to them and they instead moved the development of 8th generation games to PlayStation 5?

Funny but incredibly stupid searching for clicks and rallying on total ignorance.
You said developers. Gears 5 was also not developed downwardly. The effects remained the same but one ran at 30fps and the other at 60fps.

ruvikx

Banned
You said developers. Gears 5 was also not developed downwardly. The effects remained the same but one ran at 30fps and the other at 60fps.

I'll go out on a limb here & "tentatively" suggest those who're screaming their "concern" the loudest over this Xbox news are also those who'll be squealing their delight loudest (aka commonly known as creaming their pants) when they're running around the internet telling everyone who wants to here (or not) the Last of Us 2 is the bestest bestest looking gamez everz with ze best graphics gameplay narrative & whatnot... despite the fact it has been designed with 2013 hardware as a base. 7 years after the console's release, for what it's worth. I would have hoped console wars would eventually die-out as people got older, but it seems worse than ever. When reading this thread I'm literally thrown back to playground fights between people with a Nintendo 64, Saturn & ps1. Fun times.

Three

I'll go out on a limb here & "tentatively" suggest those who're screaming their "concern" the loudest over this Xbox news are also those who'll be squealing their delight loudest (aka commonly known as creaming their pants) when they're running around the internet telling everyone who wants to here (or not) the Last of Us 2 is the bestest bestest looking gamez everz with ze best graphics gameplay narrative & whatnot... despite the fact it has been designed with 2013 hardware as a base. 7 years after the console's release, for what it's worth. I would have hoped console wars would eventually die-out as people got older, but it seems worse than ever. When reading this thread I'm literally thrown back to playground fights between people with a Nintendo 64, Saturn & ps1. Fun times.
Nobody said games can't have nice 'the bestez' graphics but the notion that developers develop for the top hardware and then scale back is simply wrong. They usually develop for the mainstream hardware then add easier bells and whistles like increased framerate and resolution.

ruvikx

Banned
Nobody said games can't have nice 'the bestez' graphics but the notion that developers develop for the top hardware and then scale back is simply wrong. They usually develop for the mainstream hardware then add easier bells and whistles like increased framerate and resolution.

This is an old debating point from 2013. We saw how this gen blew that away when really good looking current gen titles weren't held back back the lesser ports on the previous gen (Destiny, Rise of Tomb Raider etc.). Speaking of Tomb Raider, did Shadow of the Tomb Raider really blow Rise away in terms of scope just because it was designed solely for current gen? Nope. It's one example among countless others.

And to the person who put a "triggered" reaction on my previous post, I'll say this: I would only be "triggered" by the fact these next-gen threads in Neogaf have taken a serious turn towards the total shit-level because console warriors are infesting them. It's boring to trudge through a pile of crap comments just to get to some interesting stuff. I've had every PlayStation (except the pro) & every Xbox (except the first one) since release & I'll probably (unless I'm crushed by a meteor) be getting the next ones as well because I find something to enjoy in both manufacturers. Have at me, console warriors.

lock2k

Banned
It's good to me from a consumer standpoint. I'll continue ignoring the new console and I'll just play the games on my og Xbone without having to spend money on the new console. And I'll play the shiny and new stuff on PS5. lol

Top Bottom