• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Microsoft’s ‘No Xbox Series X Exclusives’ Philosophy Is Not As Wild As It Sounds

This is an old debating point from 2013. We saw how this gen blew that away when really good looking current gen titles weren't held back back the lesser ports on the previous gen (Destiny, Rise of Tomb Raider etc.). Speaking of Tomb Raider, did Shadow of the Tomb Raider really blow Rise away in terms of scope just because it was designed solely for current gen? Nope. It's one example among countless others.

And to the person who put a "triggered" reaction on my previous post, I'll say this: I would only be "triggered" by the fact these next-gen threads in Neogaf have taken a serious turn towards the total shit-level because console warriors are infesting them. It's boring to trudge through a pile of crap comments just to get to some interesting stuff. I've had every PlayStation (except the pro) & every Xbox (except the first one) since release & I'll probably (unless I'm crushed by a meteor) be getting the next ones as well because I find something to enjoy in both manufacturers. Have at me, console warriors.

Oh please. Those games you mentioned are thoroughly last gen in terms of design but have high quality textures and faster streaming in of assets etc on better hardware. You can't argue about this stuff when your technical knowledge of graphics goes about as far as textures and resolution.

What we should be expecting of next gen, MS' lack of ambition aside, is devs pushing beyond the limitations of those games you mentioned. Improved character and environmental physics, vastly improved AI, huge game worlds with truly persistent NPCs, destruction etc etc. Have some fucking standards.

If all you want is Forza or Halo, the types of games we've had for over 10 years, running at 4k 60fps with good textures, fill your boots mate. Phil Spencer is your friend.

ruvikx

Banned
Oh please. Those games you mentioned are thoroughly last gen in terms of design but have high quality textures and faster streaming in of assets etc on better hardware.

Right, because every "exclusive" current-gen title in 2013, 14 & 15 blew Destiny, Rise of the Tomb Raider & Alien Isolation away? (just some random examples). Get real. Microsoft have stated 2 years for cross gen compatibility. The people pretending this somehow negates next-gen are on crack cocaine because we've seen time & time again how the first couple of years of a new gen always have cross gen titles (& exclusive stuff like Killzone Shadow Fall absolutely did not look "far, far better" or even have greater scope than cross gen titles). I also doubt anyone bought an Xbox One in 2013 just to play Dead Rising 4. It was Call of Duty, Fifa etc. which people wanted based on sales charts.

JaffeLion

Banned
Right, because every "exclusive" current-gen title in 2013, 14 & 15 blew Destiny, Rise of the Tomb Raider & Alien Isolation away? (just some random examples). Get real. Microsoft have stated 2 years for cross gen compatibility. The people pretending this somehow negates next-gen are on crack cocaine because we've seen time & time again how the first couple of years of a new gen always have cross gen titles (& exclusive stuff like Killzone Shadow Fall absolutely did not look "far, far better" or even have greater scope than cross gen titles). I also doubt anyone bought an Xbox One in 2013 just to play Dead Rising 4. It was Call of Duty, Fifa etc. which people wanted based on sales charts.

not 2 years. 1 year.

he said if someone buys an xbox now, he will get 2 years of exclusive games. xbox releases end of the year, so its around 1 year

ruvikx

Banned
not 2 years. 1 year.

he said if someone buys an xbox now, he will get 2 years of exclusive games. xbox releases end of the year, so its around 1 year

I'll also amend my previous post with another correction, i.e. it was Dead Rising 3 which was Xbox One exclusive at release in 2013, not 4. Did people buy a One just for that? I don't think so. It's a literal storm in a teacup & I'd go as far to say it's not much different than exclusives on both consoles since 2016 getting released on the base models... whilst looking & running worse than the upgraded machines. We're already in the "incremental hardware upgrade" world, so one year of the same policy next gen is hardly unexpected.

I literally don't know what you're talking about with the opening gambit there.

But Killzone: Shads at PS4 launch did technically blow away Fifa 14 or Assassins Creed Black flag, your favourite types of games presumably, and other mediocre cross gen pap.

Even Ryse: Son of Rome, despite being godawful and the straw that broke Cervat Yerli's back, was technically a gen above XB1's launch list.

GHG

Gold Member

But Killzone: Shads at PS4 launch did technically blow away Fifa 14 or Assassins Creed Black flag, your favourite types of games presumably, and other mediocre cross gen pap.

Even Ryse: Son of Rome, despite being godawful and the straw that broke Cervat Yerli's back, was technically a gen above XB1's launch list.

Ryse and Killzone:SF are both still very good looking games even today.

People clearly have short memories. Either that or they remember what they want to remember.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Revisionist much?

KZSF and Infamous shat all over Destiny technically. Destiny was a disaster and it's only redeeming factors were the gunplay and gameplay loop.
It was very obviously limited by last-gen.

Fair point with Tomb Raider, but I highly doubt Alien Isolation matched the overall quality of KZSF and Infamous (not talking about which game is better).

And there definitely were people who bought XB1 for games like Dead Rising 4 and Ryse (as well as 3rd party games).
It was all xbox fans talked about.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Revisionist much?

KZSF and Infamous shat all over Destiny technically. Destiny was a disaster and it's only redeeming factors were the gunplay and gameplay loop.

Fair point with Tomb Raider, but I highly doubt Alien Isolation matched the overall quality of KZSF and Infamous (not talking about which game is better).

And there definitely were people who bought XB1 for games like Dead Rising 4 and Ryse (as well as 3rd party games).
It was all xbox fans talked about.

pretty sure it was killer instinct 3

KZSF was wank
Infamous was tripe

and destiny was shit

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i remember the only thing i played on my launch ps4 was battlefield 4 ( FOR A LONG ASS TIME)
not dipping in day 1 this gen.

Last edited:
i remember the only thing i played on my launch ps4 was battlefield 4 ( FOR A LONG ASS TIME)

Same with my launch Xbox One, and BF4 was a nightmare for a while too, but it was the best thing to play really.

Console launches suck, I mean, they're fun, and it's exciting getting the new shit.. but it usually doesn't last super long. The original Xbox launch games probably lasted me the longest.

Psykodad

Banned

Same with my launch Xbox One, and BF4 was a nightmare for a while too, but it was the best thing to play really.

Console launches suck, I mean, they're fun, and it's exciting getting the new shit.. but it usually doesn't last super long. The original Xbox launch games probably lasted me the longest.

BF4 was one of the go-to games indeed. I sold it rather quickly though, the netcode was terrible.

I dunno, I could make do with KZSF, but I was a KZ fan, even though KZSF was the worst entry in the franchise.

From KZSF mp I moved over to BF4, Infamous (which I was also looking forward to after Infamous 1&2) and then on to FF XIV, which I played until Destiny released.

KZSF and Infamous were exclusives, so I would've needed a PS4 to play em day 1.
That's why exclusives matter.

ruvikx

Banned

But Killzone: Shads

Killzone Shadow Fall was graphically & mechanically totally "last gen" when it was released & only marginally better looking than Killzone 3 (better textures & lighting, but smaller scope). The game totally underwhelmed considering the hype generated during the ps4 nreveal event in February 2013.

BF4 was one of the go-to games indeed. I sold it rather quickly though, the netcode was terrible.

BF4 had criminal rubberbanding lag issues for almost a year after release (especially in conquest matches). Still, I enjoyed it far more than Killzone SF (& I also enjoyed Destiny on the ps4 as well for 30 hours or so until I got bored).

Revisionist much?

Infamous was indeed a looker but as for KZSF? No. Destiny has some wonderful vistas & looked beautiful for its time on the ps4. Destiny 2 didn't exactly revolutionize or expand on its scope either, so the "limited by previous gen" accusations against Destiny 1 don't exactly hold considering the sequel was very samey.

Psykodad

Banned
Infamous was indeed a looker but as for KZSF? No. Destiny has some wonderful vistas & looked beautiful for its time on the ps4. Destiny 2 didn't exactly revolutionize or expand on its scope either, so the "limited by previous gen" accusations against Destiny 1 don't exactly hold considering the sequel was very samey.

Destiny's wonderfull vistas weren't all that special, you're talking mostly art direction.
Destiny 1 was basic af. Simple game structure and level design. Empty af destinations. If it wasn't for the social aspect of Destiny, even the gunplay wouldn't have saved it (it's my 2nd most played game ever and I was playing it hardcore until well after TTK release, so I'm not just hating).
Destiny 2 was just a mess because Bungie somehow managed to reboot the game like a year before release again.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
No one is getting emotional you people are simply getting annoying, not just for the fact that many of you are grossly misinformed but also on the basis that you're not just giving a viewpoint; you're attempting to instill doubt.

It's a motivated and spiteful propaganda based agenda.
Dont argue with the lot on this fourm. It isnt worth it. Sony fanboys are currently searching for an edge or narrative right now because shits getting real. So, now, all Xbox games and developers are garbage.

It is isnt just that games like Gears 5, Outer Worlds prove that TC and Oblivion are world class devs, but there's another ten or so other dev houses under the Xbox brand that will bring a bunch of heat next gen that'll give Sony a real run for their money. They wont admit it, but the PS5 being underpowered already is a big blow. This is because this isnt some mid-gen refresh. This is a brand new generation of hardware and Sony is coming up short, and just banked out on E3 for the second yer straight!

If power wasnt important and it really was just about the games, Sony wouldnt be investing in a new consoles and Sony fanboys wouldnt be clamoring for it.

But the news doesnt stop there! Xbox are buying more devs, raising the bar on quality with their first party games. GP is an aboslute monster and its only growing. BC is guaranteed for next gen with all three generations Xbox games and again, the hardware for the Series X is shaping up to be the best of the best. That's why Sony backed out of E3. They know they have a weaker system. They dont wanna have to follow Micrsosoft announcing to the general public about their 12 TF console with a 9 (maybe 10tf) console. Sony will have great looking games, but Xbox WILL have new, great looking IP on tap as well. , GP will continue to annihilate and Xcloud will roll out heavy. Plus, if the Lockhart is a lock (no pun intended) thats gonna make things a bit murky.

Take it easy on the Sony fanboys. They can't help it. They arent used to seeing Xbox look this formidable or competitive in a long time -- if ever. And that makes them very salty and agitated. Change is hard. When E3 rolls around, not only will Sony not be there but, they can pretty much bank on Microsoft being quite concise and clear about the messaging and vision of the Xbox brand. None of this, fouling things up and confusing the masses. Its already begun with the Series X announcement, followed up with Hellblade II which left alot of Sony fans shook AF! They've been scrambling ever since to find someway to spin it all in a negative light and coming up empty handed.

Again. Change is hard. And change is coming. They know it... I love that!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Shit is getting real. Change is hard. This is how you know the console warz have arrived, when the platitudes come out. Next come the Lord of the Ring battle of helms deep memes with gaming execs superimposed over Gimli's face.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dont argue with the lot on this fourm. It isnt worth it. Sony fanboys are currently searching for an edge or narrative right now because shits getting real. So, now, all Xbox games and developers are garbage.

It is isnt just that games like Gears 5, Outer Worlds prove that TC and Oblivion are world class devs, but there's another ten or so other dev houses under the Xbox brand that will bring a bunch of heat next gen that'll give Sony a real run for their money. They wont admit it, but the PS5 being underpowered already is a big blow. This is because this isnt some mid-gen refresh. This is a brand new generation of hardware and Sony is coming up short, and just banked out on E3 for the second yer straight!

If power wasnt important and it really was just about the games, Sony wouldnt be investing in a new consoles and Sony fanboys wouldnt be clamoring for it.

But the news doesnt stop there! Xbox are buying more devs, raising the bar on quality with their first party games. GP is an aboslute monster and its only growing. BC is guaranteed for next gen with all three generations Xbox games and again, the hardware for the Series X is shaping up to be the best of the best. That's why Sony backed out of E3. They know they have a weaker system. They dont wanna have to follow Micrsosoft announcing to the general public about their 12 TF console with a 9 (maybe 10tf) console. Sony will have great looking games, but Xbox WILL have new, great looking IP on tap as well. , GP will continue to annihilate and Xcloud will roll out heavy. Plus, if the Lockhart is a lock (no pun intended) thats gonna make things a bit murky.

Take it easy on the Sony fanboys. They can't help it. They arent used to seeing Xbox look this formidable or competitive in a long time -- if ever. And that makes them very salty and agitated. Change is hard.

Yeah, SonyGAF with an agenda... yep all propaganda. Are you two even reading your own posts? This last one is full of groundless grand statements, mix of maybe projecting, and fanboy console warring with a veil of Xbox fan victim card on top... :rolleyes:.

Seriously though, your bit above kind of read like this:
dB9Vp9c.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get Microsoft's strategy. I won't buy a Xbox as most games come out on pc looking better. If selling console is not a priority why not just focus on software?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Yeah, SonyGAF with an agenda... yep all propaganda. Are you two even reading your own posts? This last one is full of groundless grand statements, mix of maybe projecting, and fanboy console warring with a veil of Xbox fan victim card on top... :rolleyes:.
Yeah. Its always the "victim card" when shit aint lining up to the garbage narrative Sony fans like to push. But it is what it is. You guys are so fucking predictable. Lol.

And please show me where Im being groundless in my post. Everything Ive said is based on what we know as facts when it comes to the ground work laid by Microsoft over the last couple of years. You'd have to be blind and dumb not to see the Xbox brand as being a major competitor to Sony's Playstation and its fanbase. Dont misunderstand me; Sony has a few heavy hitters on the horizon. Thats a given. The Ps5 will still be able to pump out some amazing visuals. But we're talking about a 2Tf difference. That's not a small gap in power. Not at all. then you throw in 15 + studios (and counting) with all the time, resources, finances they need to create the games they want, and a service like Gamepass in the mix and you've got a perfect storm.

This coming generation wont be a repeat of the last. Thats the point...

To add, Ill always be an Xbox fan for a couple of reasons. First, they are an American company. And the first truly successful American company in the gaming business that has not only done very well, their here to say in an industry where only companies from overseas have only flourished. That's not longer the case.

Secondly, Xbox games just speak to me more than Sony's one and done, narrative driven, third person adventure games. Xbox games you can play for years and still enjoy. They're the most pro consumer company in the business. The value they add to my gaming hobby is literally unmatched. All of my games and accessories come with me from generation to generation. You simply cant beat that.

In my humble opinion; fuck Sony and fuck Nintendo. But I'm glad they have a healthy fanbase that loves what they do and the games they offer. Genuinely.

Last edited:
For starters it means that they will be able to sell those new games into a possible customer base of 60 million plus PC rather than a maybe install base of 1 million for the XSX. And as has been commented by a number of developers, games are scaled down, not up. So the XSS will have all the bells and whistles like 60fps, 4k, VRS and RT, while the older consoles will have their resolution turn lower, FPS will drop to 30, RT and VRS turned off and there will be less physics and particles.
And in reality, how many exclusive games do you think MS will put out in a 12-24 month period? Maybe 3.
Its a much to do about nothing, and gives MS haters something to try and put them down over.

Ryu Kaiba

And he looks to his own reference of what and how games are made ... very human, we all do that.

No offense but he doesn’t know what MS has do e with the software stack.

I love his video’s but DF as a whole couldn’t look passed the 8 TF count and ray tracing ... which both are happening.
He explains his reasoning quite clearly

sinnergy

He explains his reasoning quite clearly

Sure, but not being a rendering engine architect, you could even program physic based debris to scale down , on lesser machines they render less debris , which lowers the load on the gpu, and you could do this for numerous things, an lower lod for textures on lower specked machines, and usually the games in the first 2 years don’t tap into this new power. And high-end AAA games usually take up to 5 - 7 years to make . So when we hit year 3 we would be starting to see the fruits of engine rewrites. I think Richard understands it better.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just think about it:

If MS switched all its first party to next Xbox only, they'd either have nothing new to put on GamePass for Xbox One!

See the problem with making such a big deal about all MGS titles appearing day and date on the service is that they kinda have to keep that promise or substantially devalue the service in the eyes of the majority of its customers.

Switching to XCloud doesn't even help given that all the testing for that has been done on racks of One S level servers, and switching to Scarlett level tech for it is problematic numerous reasons.

Short version is they have no choice but to continue supporting Xbox One S for a few years, its intrinsic to the business model they've chosen.

fallingdove

And please show me where Im being groundless in my post. Everything Ive said is based on what we know as facts when it comes to the ground work laid by Microsoft over the last couple of years. You'd have to be blind and dumb not to see the Xbox brand as being a major competitor to Sony's Playstation and its fanbase. Dont misunderstand me; Sony has a few heavy hitters on the horizon.
Gavin - your posts just make sense. That’s what I love about them.

I don’t think we have any “facts” at this point, just rumors. But if history tells us anything about Xbox, they aren’t great about leading companies to produce great video games. They can acquire companies like no other - sure. Inspiring companies is another story. See Bungie, see Rare, see Lionhead, see Realtime Studios... See declining quality, see forgettable franchises, see squandered opportunity...
Not at all. then you throw in 15 + studios (and counting) with all the time, resources, finances they need to create the games they want, and a service like Gamepass...
I think you’ve got it - with those 15 acquisitions (who have produced next to nothing remarkable) coupled with Microsoft’s infinite resources, it’s easy to see that Microsoft is going to be turning coal into diamonds...

Or perhaps it is a quantity over quality play(ala Netflix) to keep the GamePass fresh.
To add, Ill always be an Xbox fan for a couple of reasons. First, they are an American company. And the first truly successful American company in the gaming business that has not only done very well, their here to say in an industry where only companies from overseas have only flourished. That's not longer the case.
I hear ya, the country in which a company sets up its corporate offices is the first thing anyone should consider when playing video games.

Atari actually beat Microsoft to the punch though. But just barely.
Secondly, Xbox games just speak to me more than Sony's one and done, narrative driven, third person adventure games. Xbox games you can play for years and still enjoy. They're the most pro consumer company in the business. The value they add to my gaming hobby is literally unmatched. All of my games and accessories come with me from generation to generation. You simply cant beat that.
Right on man - everyone has their preference.
In my humble opinion; fuck Sony and fuck Nintendo. But I'm glad they have a healthy fanbase that loves what they do and the games they offer. Genuinely.
Wow - went off the rails there...

You might not like their games but Sony and Nintendo have done more to pave the way for the games you enjoy than Microsoft could ever hope to take credit for.

Top Bottom