• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Wait, the op-ed by Stephen McBride, professional investor and the chief analyst at RiskHedge, a disruption research firm. My team and I hunt for under-the-radar "disruptive" companies that are changing the world and making investors rich in the process. Get my latest analysis at RiskHedge.com didn't come true?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

TheContact

I liked Netflix when it was just Netflix. The point of canceling your cable bill was to reduce the cost. Now to get everything you want to watch again, you have to subscribe to like 5 different subscriptions which is at or above the price cable was. I have Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Sling. The Disney one is looking promising too. I just wish it could be combined into one package. We're going full circle almost.

Ornlu

Banned
I liked Netflix when it was just Netflix. The point of canceling your cable bill was to reduce the cost. Now to get everything you want to watch again, you have to subscribe to like 5 different subscriptions which is at or above the price cable was. I have Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Sling. The Disney one is looking promising too. I just wish it could be combined into one package. We're going full circle almost.

Yeah, things are always fun and new until the big boys start swingin their dicks around. Hopefully we don't quite reach he levels of absurdity that is cable packages; but who knows. It very well might end up with some ridiculous package system where you get ESPN 8 THE OCHO shoved down your throat.

We use Netflix, Amazon, and share Hulu with another family. So, doing that, we're looking at ~$25 a month for more entertainment than we could ever possibly hope to watch. Whenever we really want to rent something we do it straight from Amazon Prime. Paying way, way less than people would be if they had a full cable package + rentals of some kind. And we never feel the need to go out and see a movie in theaters anymore, as very few are worth going out to see instead of waiting a month and renting.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I doubt Netflix will go anywhere, in fact, it is Disney and the rest that should be worried at the ever-improving capacity of Netflix to develop premium content with mass appeal.

I am really enjoying Netflix as of late; the Chapelle specials, the Dark Crystal, and other random exclusive content here and there has encouraged me to keep the service around.

Greedings

I’m surprised there hasn’t been some sort of Netflix sharing service that popped up yet.
like 4 people pay 1/4 of the price and each gets access. Would save people a bunch of money and give the finger to the giant company.

dorkimoe

Netflix tv shows are some of the best. So as long as they don’t lose those shows or stop putting out good ones it can survive

Greedings

Netflix tv shows are some of the best. So as long as they don’t lose those shows or stop putting out good ones it can survive

no way. Netflix original is like a badge of shite. I avoid them because most are terrible.
the more they move to making their own stuff, the less I’m interested.

Kagey K

Banned
I had Netflix since it launched in Canada way back when, but unsubscribed earlier this year because of the price hike,19.00/month is to much for what they offer, now I find myself resubscribed because my TV provider threw it in free with HBO and Starz with my account. If I had to pay extra for it, it would be gone again.

At the same time I’m gladly awaiting Disney Plus and willing to pay for a full year at the price they are offering.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
I had Netflix since it launched in Canada way back when, but unsubscribed earlier this year because of the price hike,19.00/month is to much for what they offer, now I find myself resubscribed because my TV provider threw it in free with HBO and Starz with my account. If I had to pay extra for it, it would be gone again.

At the same time I’m gladly awaiting Disney Plus and willing to pay for a full year at the price they are offering.
Yay. I will be getting Disney+ too.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
LOL @ "undisputed".

Netflix has a much broader range of stuff. this just has the same mainstream stuff you've been watching for the past 30 years.

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
I think the combination of Disney Plus, and using Hulu for the more rated R content is going to be super successful.

But each week, Netflix is creating new content

Not just for adults. They have created a crazy amount of children’s content, including How to Train Your Dragon, to an entire live action series for Full House, to a complete full live action version of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Voltron, Carmen Sandiego, The Dark Crystal, just about every BBC nature documentary.. That Guillermo Del Toro troll show which was really good.

And that is just for kids. Tons of Anime.

A few really good films, or at least compelling films for the masses. Roma, The Irishman, Anon, The Discovery, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, The Little Prince,, The Siege of Jadotville, Mudville, Apostle, Mowgli, outlaw King, Into the Inferno, 22 July, In the Shadow of the Moon, Whatever Happened to Monday..

Then we have the series. Bojack Horesman, Glow, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, Arrested Development, Kimmy Schmidt, Peaky Blinders(I am Aware that some of these are either joint projects or timed exclusives... love. money Heist. Godless. Dark. Bloodline. Black Mirror. Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but it is called something else.

And I am not going to even get into Anime and documentaries. Because it is hard to know what is original and what is funded or exclusive to Netflix.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
LOL @ "undisputed".

Netflix has a much broader range of stuff. this just has the same mainstream stuff you've been watching for the past 30 years.
Netflix is quite barren honestly. Hulu is far better IMO.

C4lukin2

Banned
Hulu is the worst of the big three. They have maybe a half dozen original series that are decent to great.

They have very few original films, if any. I cannot recall.

If you enjoy network television, then yeah they have the majority of that. All of This is Us I believable is available. And they have South Park which is cool, but you can watch that show on the southparkstudios website for free..

But I do think, with the whole Disney thing, Hulu will become much more compelling. I assume that most of the more adult programming from Disney, Miramax and such will be on Hulu. So maybe the service will become much more compelling in the coming months.

I always feel like I have seen everything that Disney, Marvel and Star Wars has put out.
Will maybe subscribe to binge watch the Mandalorian and then quit again immediately.

Also Netflix does a lot of quirky and adult shit like Love.Death.Robots or Russian Doll.
Cannot imagine content like this being on Disney+.

C4lukin2

Banned
If I had kids, I could totally justify a Disney plus subscription. But really it is the new Star Wars content and Marvel stuff that will get me to subscribe. But I will probably wait 6 months. I only binge watch these days. Maybe if I have a kid in the next six years, I can justify a long term subscription.

I don't really know why, but Netflix and Youtube are the only two websites I actually can stream videos on. Other websites like Amazon Prime Video are so slow they won't even manage to load the video thumbnails until minutes later. When trying to watch a video it buffers for 3 minutes, then allows me to watch 15 seconds, then buffers again. Not with Netflix and Youtube where I can easily watch videos in good quality without any wait times.

When I run a speedtest it will return 0.3 MBit/s. However, when using Netflix or Youtube, I can clearly see that more data is transmitted.

My theory is that the main slowdown of my connection is caused by the 25% packet loss at one of the routers from me to my ISP and that Netflix and Youtube somehow have set up their streaming so that it isn't slowed down by packet loss.

Basically I have no choice but to pick Netflix...

So if Disney wants me to subscribe I guess they'd need to make it so it works just like Netflix and Youtube. Otherwise, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
netflix deserves to eat shit for the atrocious writing problems they have

Netflix does not write anything. They buy up shows that are already written, or find shows by creators who they believe will create something compelling that will entice users to the service.

Do you believe that every film made by Disney is created in a single room with the Disney writers?

Last edited:

nbcjr

I’m surprised there hasn’t been some sort of Netflix sharing service that popped up yet.
like 4 people pay 1/4 of the price and each gets access. Would save people a bunch of money and give the finger to the giant company.
already exists, maybe not in the US.

The Giant

Banned
The idea that Disney+ is gonna kill Netflix is just a load of dog shit. Disney isn't gonna make shows like Mindhunter, Kingdom, The House on Haunted Hill etc.

Makariel

I've nothing to watch on Disney+

I don't particularly care about superhero movies (just watch them when they show up on inflight-entertainment on long distance flights) and Star Wars is dead to me. And all those live-action remakes of old disney movies (the originals of which I still have on DVD anyway) can fuck right off.

GV82

The idea that Disney+ is gonna kill Netflix is just a load of dog shit. Disney isn't gonna make shows like Mindhunter, Kingdom, The House on Haunted Hill etc.

Isn’t all that type stuff gonna be on Hulu that they are bundling with Disney+ if you want other content at least over in the states? That’s where some of the fox stuff unsuitable for Disney + would end up on!

I think they own a high percentage in Hulu anyway if they don’t own them yet. Outside the usa though we don’t have Hulu.

Disney have the ability to make that stuff now or lend their stuff out to make how they want like the Marvel Netflix stuff.

Shifty

Sad violin music

Rest in peace, Netflix. We hardly knew you. Taken from this world too early, and dearly loved by its close friends, family, and millions of subscribers worldwide. From this world, unto the nex-

tenor.gif

Oh. Nothing to see here, please disperse.

sol_bad

I personally don't understand why you would cancel cable and then get Sling. Isn't it essentially the same thing?

As for Netflix, I'll be keeping it for a while long. Wife and I are going through the A24 catalogue and they seem to have a lot of it.

*EDIT*
TheContact TheContact cancel Sling and HBO. Subscribe to Disney+ and HBO Max.

Last edited:

TheContact

I personally don't understand why you would cancel cable and then get Sling. Isn't it essentially the same thing?

As for Netflix, I'll be keeping it for a while long. Wife and I are going through the A24 catalogue and they seem to have a lot of it.

*EDIT*
TheContact TheContact cancel Sling and HBO. Subscribe to Disney+ and HBO Max.

Honestly I barely use Sling. It's very similar to cable except the channels are more narrow and the price is cheaper, but I don't watch TV enough to make it worth it. I'm going to cancel it tonight. There are some shows on HBO I like so I do get value out of that, though I have HBO GO. Is there a difference between that and Max?

Disney will still print money but I really don't care about MCU, Star Wars, or any live remakes. The nostalgia train/fad will end sooner or later and people will stop caring so much about it just like from the 80's to the 2000's. Especially now that everything has to be ultra woke and now also sanitized by China.

daveonezero

Banned
I haven’t been in this thread but if this happens

“After a few weeks it’s no longer in theaters. You can’t buy it. You can’t rent it. The only way to watch is to subscribe to Disney’s steaming service, Disney+.”

the public library will have awesome content. Because there’s always other ways to watch digital content.

sol_bad

Honestly I barely use Sling. It's very similar to cable except the channels are more narrow and the price is cheaper, but I don't watch TV enough to make it worth it. I'm going to cancel it tonight. There are some shows on HBO I like so I do get value out of that, though I have HBO GO. Is there a difference between that and Max?

It will be Warner Brothers primary streaming service. It will include all HBO content but much more. It comes out next year.

"10,000 hours of premium content from HBO, Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more," is promised as coming to HBO Max.

They are also stealing some comedy shows from Netflix but I forget what. Plus it's own original content.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
interesting facts about Forbes magazine
CompanyForbes Media, LLC. (51%: Integrated Whale Media Investments; 49%: Forbes family)
In 2014, it was sold to a Hong Kong-based investment group, Integrated Whale Media Investments.
so a newspaper majority owned by a Chinese company called Integrated Whale Media is telling me Disney is the future?

LOL no shit :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
If I had kids, I could totally justify a Disney plus subscription. But really it is the new Star Wars content and Marvel stuff that will get me to subscribe. But I will probably wait 6 months. I only binge watch these days. Maybe if I have a kid in the next six years, I can justify a long term subscription.
Well that's true, but only if you want to continue to fund Disney. I don't, but it's hard not to do.

thequestion

Favreau’s Mandelorian will be great. His Iron Man film that launched the entire MCU, is still one of the best films in that series. I pine for Star Wars to feel like Star Wars, again, and I think Favreau is going to nail it.

After that - cancel. (Rewatching Gargoyles and Ducktails/Tailspin/Darkwing will be fun too, but that will only last for a couple of hours and I’ll be ready to move on)

HBO plus might garner a longer sub.

Netflix: dead to me.

Top Bottom