• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] New ‘God Of War Ragnarok’ Trailer Showcases A Clear ‘Elden Ring’ GOTY Competitor

I mean what other games are even in the conversation this year? I highly doubt GOW will outdo Elden Ring for me personally. But I’m open minded. The first one definitely wasn’t close to Elden ring-level but maybe they’ve really upped their game.

Some people didn’t like Elden Ring or felt it was super overrated - but I think that’s a minority.
Games I've enjoyed this year:
  • Neon White
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Sifu
  • Splatoon 3
  • Card Shark
  • Immortality
  • Live A Live
I think people always underestimate how much indies win these. But yeah, Elden Ring and God of War will be on everyone's short list I'm sure.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If You Say So Shrug GIF

It's like a soup. If 10 people in a row add vegetables, someone has to add a dash of salt. Better tasting soup this way.

gow3isben

Or It might be treated like GOW2. An epic masterpiece that was held back by the PS2 and overshadowed by Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted and Halo 3 despite some incredible setpieces, boss fights and probably the best campaign of the lot. I think Elden Rings also feels too samey but clearly the critics didnt think so. Probably impressed by the new open world design and ignored the samey combat.

GOW2 was lauded over all of them by many lol

Pedro Motta

It's going to be like it was in 2018 when it split awards with RDR2. VGAs could go either way. They gave it to Sekiro over Death Stranding after giving kojima best director which was bizarre. So they must love fromsoft, but they also gave it to GOW so who knows. It will be close either way.

I personally think that the gameplay is going to feel incredibly stale and samey. The few videos they have shown so far dont really feature any brand new mechanics. No Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 or AC1 to AC2 leap. It's going to be more of the same, and those games typically dont win too many GOTY awards. See how no one is even talking about HFW this year despite the first finishing runner up to BOTW. GOW is going to have some epic setpieces and boss fights as shown in the trailer, but the sameyness will hurt it in GOTY voting even if it scores really high.

Or It might be treated like GOW2. An epic masterpiece that was held back by the PS2 and overshadowed by Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted and Halo 3 despite some incredible setpieces, boss fights and probably the best campaign of the lot. I think Elden Rings also feels too samey but clearly the critics didnt think so. Probably impressed by the new open world design and ignored the samey combat.
You’re both wrong about GOW and Elden Ring. Do you even like games?

take your graphically stunning action game, throw in lots of extraordinarilly detailed violence & a dash of troubled relationship, saute it in some gravitas, anger, & angst, let it all simmer in its own juices for a number of hours, & you've got yourself a highly mature, thoroughly delicious goty candidate...

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think GOW will win GOTY over Elden Ring but this is a Forbes Contributor Article about a trailer

I could have written a more credible piece
oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

People downplaying GOW gameplay when Elden Ring is exactly the same as every souls game but in an open world game, lmao.

Anyway, for now it feels like both will win a lot of awards. The thing about God of War, is that the trailer feels like it's barely scratching the surface of what that game really is. I feel like a lot of stuff is still to be revealed. The game will surprise quite a bit tbh.

//DEVIL//

I don't own a PS5 anymore. But it's not even close. Gow mobs the floor with elden ring.

Man that game sucks. Just like all soul games for me. Shitty story with shitty frames even on a mighty pc with shitty frame pacing and frustrating breaking controller level bosses.

I am probably alone in this but whatever. Gow wins by default and the game isnt out yet lol.

bender

What time is it?
God of War can battle it out with Elden Ring for second place. Windjammers 2 is easily GOTY.

Ozzie666

Shredders Revenge, Triangle Strategy, Elden Ring and God of War. Pretty good list of very different games. I wonder if God of War coming out so late in the year, will prevent any flaws being exposed with the game. All others have had time to be picked apart. I really don't know what they base game of the year on anymore, because it's very subjective and everyone has a preference or genre.

I could make a legitimate argument for any of the above-mentioned games and be perfectly _fine_ or indifferent to any winner.

Shredders Revenge, Triangle Strategy, Elden Ring and God of War. Pretty good list of very different games. I wonder if God of War coming out so late in the year, will prevent any flaws being exposed with the game. All others have had time to be picked apart. I really don't know what they base game of the year on anymore, because it's very subjective and everyone has a preference or genre.

I could make a legitimate argument for any of the above-mentioned games and be perfectly _fine_ or indifferent to any winner.

Horizon will be nominated also. There are not 6 games better than forbidden west imo

Jormatar

After the 2018 game I feel like God of War franchise took a big leap in popularity. The latest game sold 20 million copies, beat RDR2 in GOTY, scored 94 on metacritic and many people felt like it was their game of the generation.

If God of War can nail the story and enemy variety, I could absolutely see it challenging Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Needs to be a contender for one of the best games ever to be in contention and that means noticeably better than the first. I love the first game and it’s not the in the same league as elden ring.

Buggy Loop

Was not impressed by GoW on PC when I played it earlier this year and ragnarok looks like more of the same.

Who thought the level design was even remotely interesting in that game? The areas are all perpendicular to the center hub, but no interconnection or little of it. For a game that gave « Metroid » vibes initially with the unlocking areas based on found skills, they did a shit job of using it. It ended up as being mainly useful to find chests/collectables that end up mostly useless. The linearity of the levels, the backtracking, the kid having a tantrums..

It’s not even as good as the pre-dad god of wars.

For me, to beat Elden ring it would have to step up considerably.

Last edited:
This game has a pile of far more glaring issues than just performance. Performance is just a small annoyance in comparison.
lmao, i can't remember the last Sony WW studios game with "more glaring issues" than what Eden Ring has or had when released. There were people that couldn't even start the damn game on PC let alone reach the point of finding performance issues :messenger_tears_of_joy:

When you have Digital Foundry telling you to play the PS4 version instead of the PS5 one for stable framerates you know you suck at optimizing your own damn game, lmao.

If this God of War game came out with half of those issues you'd be all over it and trashing it, i just know that.

Fredrik

Why do people keep saying this when no one has played this game yet?
People said that Elden Ring would be a GOTY game before anyone had played it as well, and Starfield was certainly in the discussion too before the delay.

In short, we know what the developer is capable of.

As said though, this year we all win, 2022 is turning out to be a fantastic year.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Ragnarok will be GOTY it will be known as not one of the best games ever like Elden Ring but THE best game ever and you can take that to the bank
I hope you are right. I loved the God of War ps4

Fredrik

I mean what other games are even in the conversation this year? I highly doubt GOW will outdo Elden Ring for me personally. But I’m open minded. The first one definitely wasn’t close to Elden ring-level but maybe they’ve really upped their game.

Some people didn’t like Elden Ring or felt it was super overrated - but I think that’s a minority.
Ragnarök looks like a very worthy competitor but I’m not sure I’ll play it before the voting anyway so for me that’s it’s biggest obstacle to get my GOTY.

Another game to mention is Horizon Forbidden West, or has everyone forgot about that? Poor Guerrilla. First they had to battle BOTW. Then Elden Ring and Ragnarök. 😕

Ragnarök looks like a very worthy competitor but I’m not sure I’ll play it before the voting anyway so for me that’s it’s biggest obstacle to get my GOTY.

Another game to mention is Horizon Forbidden West, or has everyone forgot about that? Poor Guerrilla. First they had to battle BOTW. Then Elden Ring and Ragnarök. 😕

Eh it’ll still be nominated at TGA’s and still get a bunch of awards. It will probably be 3rd or 4th running for total GOTY awards

Next year will be the real bloodbath for GOTY

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
2022 is a great year, both are amazing games
Amazing year with like 2 new games!
I’ve not seen a more dry year in my life lol.
But if we get at least 2 good games out of it, then good.
I 100h and loved Elden ring but it’s overrated af!
One game does not make a year

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
take your graphically stunning action game, throw in lots of extraordinarilly detailed violence & a dash of troubled relationship, saute it in some gravitas, anger, & angst, let it all simmer in its own juices for a number of hours, & you've got yourself a highly mature, thoroughly delicious goty candidate...
If it were that easy, there would be way more Goty nominations 😄

Top Bottom