• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] Sony Should Be Putting All PlayStation Exclusives On PC, Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Where is your actual evidence for this statement to be true other than pc gamers wet dreams? Have Sony secretly announced gt7, horizon zero dawn forbidden west and God of War Ragnorark are even coming to PC yet?

Not giving much credence to your statement is it?

While PlayStation exists PC will never be a priority unless you really think Sony want to throw away money.

No PC gamer buys a $70 game, and unless Sony make their own PC store and client, Sony will have to give money to a third party to further dilute their earnings.

Get real pal. Sony releasing day 1 on PC is never happening on their single player block busters.

“Wet dream”, when Sony is too busy mining the gold on PC? Sure

I remember people saying Sony releasing their 1st party games like God of War on PC is never happening. Good time.

Bogeyman

Banned
Evil thought of the day: Is there anything preventing Microsoft from running Windows, and thereby Windows games, on an xbox?

If they waited for Sony to commit to more pc releases, and then made them playable on xbox that way.. Oof.

ACESHIGH

Banned
After today news. Sony must double down on PC porting of their legacy titles and use that money for 1st party development generating a virtuous cycle.
Its time for them to take a look at their legacy IPs. Sony has to stop pretending stuff from before November 2013 does not count. Look at your japanese legacy... PS2 HD collection, PS3 franchises, PSP games, Vita... Port everything to PC and current Sony consoles. The attitude, the spirit of the PS1 and PS2, PSP and early PS3 days with Krazy Ken. That put Sony on top.

If they played their cards right at the time and did not consider PC an enemy, they could have a PC storefront only rivaled by Steam just on first party content alone. But they were clueless and arrogant being extremely late to the party. They are still the dominant console but have to play their cards right. They can be Nintendo on steroids if they want to. No need for third parties.

Last edited:

DJ12

“Wet dream”, when Sony is too busy mining the gold on PC? Sure

I remember people saying Sony releasing their 1st party games like God of War on PC is never happening. Good time.
So you agree you have zero evidence, thanks.

JackSparr0w

Banned
After today news. Sony must double down on PC porting of their legacy titles and use that money for 1st party development generating a virtuous cycle.
Its time for them to take a look at their legacy IPs. Sony has to stop pretending stuff from before November 2013 does not count. Look at your japanese legacy... PS2 HD collection, PS3 franchises, PSP games, Vita... Port everything to PC and current Sony consoles. The attitude, the spirit of the PS1 and PS2, PSP and early PS3 days with Krazy Ken. That put Sony on top.

If they played their cards right at the time and did not consider PC an enemy, they could have a PC storefront only rivaled by Steam just on first party content alone. But they were clueless and arrogant being extremely late to the party. They are still the dominant console but have to play their cards right. They can be Nintendo on steroids if they want to. No need for third parties.
Mate not even MS saw Steam becoming successful and they make Windows. Most likely scenario is Gaben got abducted by aliens who told him to quit his job and start Steam, it was an insane idea at the time.

Anyway, I agree with you and as a PC gamer I fully welcome Sony opening their own storefront as it's never too late but they need some multiplayer games if they want to really win the PC community.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure I know what that mean, and I really don’t need any help.
The Matrix GIF

JimRyanGOAT

Mate not even MS saw Steam becoming successful and they make Windows. Most likely scenario is Gaben got abducted by aliens who told him to quit his job and start Steam, it was an insane idea at the time.

Anyway, I agree with you and as a PC gamer I fully welcome Sony opening their own storefront as it's never too late but they need some multiplayer games if they want to really win the PC community.
100 percent this

Nothing is stopping from Microsoft from buying more companies on the scale of Zenimax and Activision

Sony already has the market down for narrative-driven games

If they can match the energy of games like GOW or Last of Us II but on a live service games scale that's HUGEEEEEEEE

Now imagine if they have a few games on that scale.

On god Insomniac better give us a Marvel BR

Marvel-Roster-Characters-Wallpaper.jpg

I know they also got a bunch of former COD Devs & Bungie devs as seperate studios to work on some GAAS

Where is your actual evidence for this statement to be true other than pc gamers wet dreams? Have Sony secretly announced gt7, horizon zero dawn forbidden west and God of War Ragnorark are even coming to PC yet?

Not giving much credence to your statement is it?

While PlayStation exists PC will never be a priority unless you really think Sony want to throw away money.

No PC gamer buys a $70 game, and unless Sony make their own PC store and client, Sony will have to give money to a third party to further dilute their earnings.

Get real pal. Sony releasing day 1 on PC is never happening on their single player block busters.
First it was one little exclusive PC game, then another came, then another with a shorter release window and the next release will most likely have an even shorter release window. I heard Horizon Forbidden West could be coming much sooner then we think to PC and that’s technically a PS5 game.

I don’t think it’s a good decision, but day one PC exclusives wouldn’t surprise me with the direction Sony is going in and they are seemingly trying to emulate literally everything Microsoft does for whatever reason even though they are still leading the industry and making money.

Razvedka

Banned
It would be funny/interesting if Sony partnered w/ Valve to not only get their games onto PC but also Linux. So every 'PS Studios Release' hit the Playstation consoles, windows and Linux.

Filben

I go even further and say every game should be on every (major) Platform :)

But seeing how some fanboy cunts on the internet react on "sOny'S bEtRaYal" because they release a three years old game on PC, those fuckers would lose their fucking minds over day one releases. wHy dO i eVeN invest iN sOnY iF tHeY rElEaSe iT sOmEwHeRe eLsE!?

I go even further and say every game should be on every (major) Platform :)

But seeing how some fanboy cunts on the internet react on "sOny'S bEtRaYal" because they release a three years old game on PC, those fuckers would lose their fucking minds over day one releases. wHy dO i eVeN invest iN sOnY iF tHeY rElEaSe iT sOmEwHeRe eLsE!?
My thoughts exactly. If all games were available on all platforms, we wouldn't have a fraction of the stupid fanboy wars. Everyone could play any and every game they could ever want. And discussions around games would include more actual discussions, rather than flaming x, y, z game because they "can't" play it on their platform of choice.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
My thoughts exactly. If all games were available on all platforms, we wouldn't have a fraction of the stupid fanboy wars. Everyone could play any and every game they could ever want. And discussions around games would include more actual discussions, rather than flaming x, y, z game because they "can't" play it on their platform of choice.
Absolutely. There would be less bans.

Wohc

Banned
Absolutely. There would be less bans.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I would expect much more warring about loading times, controller gimmicks, controller layout, VR, resolutions, fps, Game Pass, PS+ and stuff like that. For those guys it's all about hating, not gaming.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don’t need day one, even a year later is good. Give them time to fix any old bugs before the new ones are added.

That's a pretty nonsensical argument. The reason Sony has been so successful in the last five generations is because they always manage to have killer exclusives AND get most multiplatform games, meaning gamers end up buying Sony's console so they can play the bulk of the "must play" games each generation. Microsoft has been struggling because they didn't have that many exclusives, and said exclusive weren't really exclusive since people can just get a good pc and play them anyway, so less people feel compelled to buy an Xbox console. I never bought an Xbox because, why should I ? The few games I care about that are MS first party are all on PC, and I need a good pc anyway for work, so I'm hitting two birds with one stone without the need to buy two consoles and all the peripherals each generation. Gaming is expensive, and buying multiple proprietary hardware each gen is too much for most customers after all.

If all PS exclusives were to be PC day one, there wouldn't be a need to own a Sony console and to stay in the Sony Ecosystem. Heck one can argue what they are currently doing releasing PS exclusive on pc after a couple of years is probably going to backfire on them in the long run , as when next gen comes, I might not pick up a PS6 because, well, I have a feeling all the must-own PS5 titles will end up on PC eventually anyway with Sony's new strategy. Before I had to get a PS5 to get my God of War / Death Stranding / Ghost of Tsuchima / Bloodborne / Returnal fix... Now I just gotta be patient and wait a couple of years for the improved director's cut edition on PC... Again not sure it'll help bolster sales.

Imho the only company that should really reconsider their stance on releasing on other platforms is Nintendo. They have very little third party support, and always release crappy, outdated hardware anyway, so they would simply sell way more copies of their first-party if they were to release on PC / Xbox / Sony imho... Since many people don't consider buying a Nintendo platform each gen just to play a couple zelda / metroid / mario games. Plus they could still release quirky, gimmicky controllers and stuff for other platforms. At the end of the day , they would sell way more games if they were multi-platform, that deprieving themselves of tons of customers because they want you to buy 600 bucks of hardware each gen to play that mario and zelda game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's a pretty nonsensical argument. The reason Sony has been so successful in the last five generations is because they always manage to have killer exclusives AND get most multiplatform games, meaning gamers end up buying Sony's console so they can play the bulk of the "must play" games each generation. Microsoft has been struggling because they didn't have that many exclusives, and said exclusive weren't really exclusive since people can just get a good pc and play them anyway, so less people feel compelled to buy an Xbox console. I never bought an Xbox because, why should I ? The few games I care about that are MS first party are all on PC, and I need a good pc anyway for work, so I'm hitting two birds with one stone without the need to buy two consoles and all the peripherals each generation. Gaming is expensive, and buying multiple proprietary hardware each gen is too much for most customers after all.

If all PS exclusives were to be PC day one, there wouldn't be a need to own a Sony console and to stay in the Sony Ecosystem. Heck one can argue what they are currently doing releasing PS exclusive on pc after a couple of years is probably going to backfire on them in the long run , as when next gen comes, I might not pick up a PS6 because, well, I have a feeling all the must-own PS5 titles will end up on PC eventually anyway with Sony's new strategy. Before I had to get a PS5 to get my God of War / Death Stranding / Ghost of Tsuchima / Bloodborne / Returnal fix... Now I just gotta be patient and wait a couple of years for the improved director's cut edition on PC... Again not sure it'll help bolster sales.

Imho the only company that should really reconsider their stance on releasing on other platforms is Nintendo. They have very little third party support, and always release crappy, outdated hardware anyway, so they would simply sell way more copies of their first-party if they were to release on PC / Xbox / Sony imho... Since many people don't consider buying a Nintendo platform each gen just to play a couple zelda / metroid / mario games. Plus they could still release quirky, gimmicky controllers and stuff for other platforms. At the end of the day , they would sell way more games if they were multi-platform, that deprieving themselves of tons of customers because they want you to buy 600 bucks of hardware each gen to play that mario and zelda game.
Great post. It's common sense really.

I chose not to buy an xsx this gen for the first time since the OG xbox when i was in my teens and couldnt afford to have all three consoles. Phil has given me zero reason to buy it thanks to putting gamepass on PC.

The same thing will happen as soon as Sony goes on PC day one.

Faithless83

Banned
Why when PC players buy it full price years later?
Why add development cost in porting when they can tease the PC MR and say "want the sequel day one? Buy a PS5".

Forbes should hire anyone from gaf and they would have better articles on gaming.

Daytonabot

Banned
Uh oh you are speaking too much truth be careful 👀. According to the PC gamers on here they are entitled to all games and every platform.
I'm not entitled to anything, but publishers are not entitled to revenue from me either until their games show up on Steam or GOG. The only exceptions I am still willing to make are M2 and Hamster arcade ports, which I'll buy on Switch.

edit: For the record, I'd prefer Sony not bring their games day one though. Give me the "complete edition" a year later with DLC included, and I'll gladly pay year-old game prices. Sony doesn't have any IPs I'd buy day one anyway, without a time machine to get Sucker Punch-developed Sly Cooper, Amy Hennig-written Uncharted, or From-developed Bloodborne.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

I've been a Sony fan all my life, and I agree. They should take maximum profits from every production and reinvest that in more 1st party awesomeness.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup.

Funny how video game consoles are the only warrior pieces of plastic.

I've never seen one person pray that their TV, DVD/BR player, or old ass MP3 player plays exclusive content. Instead people buy it and dont give a shit that every other competing plastic gadget can play the same content. And they also hope it stays that way so they dont have to worry about playing their movies or music on any similar competing device. People love cross platform compatibility.

Yet for gaming, you got ecosystem walling warriors who get extra happy they can play a video game X, while random dude on a competing device cant.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

There is an advantage of games being exclusive to one platform. It only seems like actual fanboys have issues with exclusives. People make it seem like the only reason exclusives exist is to create fan wars. That is nonsensical. It pushes devs to make the system sellers. They have access to a whole bunch of tools and work with talent familiar with the platform. They don't have to optimize their game for multiple platforms. Time and time again, a lot of the best games I've played have been exclusives. And no, I'm not a fanboy. I don't even have a PlayStation anymore; I have a PC and Switch.

Neofire

I'm not entitled to anything, but publishers are not entitled to revenue from me either until their games show up on Steam or GOG. The only exceptions I am still willing to make are M2 and Hamster arcade ports, which I'll buy on Switch.

edit: For the record, I'd prefer Sony not bring their games day one though. Give me the "complete edition" a year later with DLC included, and I'll gladly pay year-old game prices. Sony doesn't have any IPs I'd buy day one anyway, without a time machine to get Sucker Punch-developed Sly Cooper, Amy Hennig-written Uncharted, or From-developed Bloodborne.
Noone ever said Sony or any other publisher was entitled to your money lol you are projecting. I do sure your sentiment about Sony not bringing of their games to PC whether day one or years down the road because it fragments the player base and I frankly do not wish to play online with PC because of the rampant unchecked cheating.

I've said this before the more playstation consoles sold strengthens my experience on that playstation platform because it gives Don't the reason to invest and expand in it's ecosystem. Having a few ports here and there on PC does nothing for me on my PS4/5

Nah....that's just a matter of wanting access to great games and not caring who made it or what other platforms it is on. That's not entitlement. That's the way it should be really.
I've heard this statement so many times when it comes to Sony's games but Nintendo and hell alot of PC games that have yet to console noone seems to be pushing those devs or companies to put them on all platforms.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Only an issue if you only play games on Xbox, right? Same for PS only gamers who can't play Microsoft's bought timed exclusives. I agree, though, that third party timed exclusives are a bad thing all around.
I have a PS5 and XsX .. and a nice gaming pc. Don't let my avater and tag fool you i made/ask for those just because of thread it started in which was hilarious.
From a PC gamer view point though having to wait for games like FF7 remake for however many years for is BS.

Even though I didnt buy on PC instead opting for the PS4 version at the time because ... " no steam no buy " :messenger_sunglasses:

I will say trhat buying GOW 5, Halo infinite, and Forza 5 on xbox and being able to play on pc as well with save sync is a tremendous plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom