• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Top 10 Wii Games LTD (NPD)

Shurs

I'm surprised that Mario Galaxy has sold less copies than Mario Kart and Wii Fit. Obviously 6 plus million units shipped world wide is amazing. I'd just assumed that it would be the highest seller, other than Wii Play. I guess I'm out of touch with the market for Wii.

I'd like to see ttop tenss for Gamecube, N64 and SNES.

Link's Crossbow Training incl. Wii Zapper 2.750.000

wat.
I honestly didn't expect it.

Saying Mario & Sonic is first party because it has Mario is the same as saying that the CDi Hotel Mario and the three Zeldas are first party.
It is not a matter of who develops the game, but who publishes it; also the game was developed by SEGA.
It is not about who is publishing the game, it is the idea that Mario being on the cover garentee million sales by viewing it as a Nintendo game (Mario=Nintendo=$$$)

Let me give an example; say that there is two new vs.Capcom game made.
one is Nintendo vs. Capcom and the other is Sega vs.Capcom.
Both of them is made and published by Capcom.
By logic, which one will sell more??

Ashour

I wonder how many of those bought Wii play for the game and not just the extra wiimote, I know I did it for the remote but thankfully the shipment got lost and they refunded me so I went and bought a wiimote by it self after I played it at a friend's house and saw how bad it was, even my wife thought it was crap.

ph15h

Neo Member
I'm one of the few that liked Link's Crossbow training... Especially the Dark Nut boss fight and raiding that camp.

Joey Styles said:
I'm not surprised at the 827 figure when you consider the vast amount of... below-average-ware third parties keep lobbing at the thing.

If a majority of the games are below average, aren't they really average?

Ashour said:
I wonder how many of those bought Wii play for the game and not just the extra wiimote, I know I did it for the remote but thankfully the shipment got lost and they refunded me so I went and bought a wiimote by it self after I played it at a friend's house and saw how bad it was, even my wife thought it was crap.

I would guess almost none of them. I knew it was mostly crap (a few of the games are alright) but hey, an extra controller!

ph15h

Neo Member
Night_Trekker said:
If a majority of the games are below average, aren't they really average?

I would guess almost none of them. I knew it was mostly crap (a few of the games are alright) but hey, an extra controller!

Yeah... I bought the game and ebayed both out separate like within the first month the gamew as released. Made 30 bucks off a 50 dollar game. 40 for the Wii remote and 40 for the game -_- Then I saw the errors of my ways and bought one to keep. I still regret it seeing as now nobody wants it.

CTLance

billy.sea said:
Seeing Mario Party up there just reminds me of where's our annual reharsh of Mario Party this year?
Try Dokapon.
2eveo9d.jpg

The CPU players are cheating bastards, but playing it together in local coop is a blast nonetheless. Local coop with only one wiimote is a nice feature, and the RPG underpinnings, while largely unbalanced and min/max-able, are a great way to keep you going. Couple that with cute character designs and a nice "story", and you have a compelling little game.

Seriously, I'm way too old to be doing that, but recently a friend came over and we clocked close to 11 hours in Dokapon in one go. I am sick to the core of the game now, but I figure I easily got my moneys worth.

Also, thankfully you can speed up the NPC turns so much that you can play nearly instantly again. One of my many beefs with the Mario Party franchise is how long you have to wait for the CPUs to take their turns (this was kinda-sorta alleviated with the DS version, but still...).

There are no minigames in Dokapon though, so if you really need those you're SOL. Nonetheless, if you want a board game with loveable characer designs and fun gameplay, Dokapon is where it's at.

Osuwari said:
it just hit me now.

doesn't konami own hudson now? what if they cockblocked nintendo's partnership with hudson to make mario party? could be a possible reason why there hasn't been anything in over a year from the series

[/lunatic mode]

i would start worrying for real about the lack of a new mario party by Q3 2009

Why would they want to do that since those games take about 5 minutes to make and rake in profits like a motherfucker?

Osuwari said:
it just hit me now.

doesn't konami own hudson now? what if they cockblocked nintendo's partnership with hudson to make mario party? could be a possible reason why there hasn't been anything in over a year from the series

[/lunatic mode]

i would start worrying for real about the lack of a new mario party by Q3 2009
Why?

"Now that we control Hudson... let's stop them from working on their most successful series. We'll be rich!"

Ashour said:

What was so bad about it? I liked several of the minigames. People around talk like it's there holy duty to trashtalk wii play. Kinda silly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite part of seeing Mario and Sonic Olympic Games on that list is that it brings back fond memories of the thread where Sega predicted high sales for the game. Many on this board proceeded to tear apart Sega for their prediction.

I'm not a huge Sega fan, but in this case, Sega--1 GAF--0

DedicationThroughLight said:
Is Wii Play really that good of a game or are people just getting it for the controller and then just throwing the game aside?
This.

"Today I'm going to buy a new Wiimote"

In the store:
"Oh my, just 10$ more and I get a new game with my Wiimote, I'll buy this"

Normal reaction.

Nocebo

Is Wii Play really that good of a game or are people just getting it for the controller and then just throwing the game aside?
Wii play isn't nearly as good as WiiSports but I think it's inline with what the average demographic for that would expect / enjoy. So I think they might also buy it wanting to actually play it and not just because it comes with a controller.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
SilverLunar said:
It is not about who is publishing the game, it is the idea that Mario being on the cover garentee million sales by viewing it as a Nintendo game (Mario=Nintendo=$$$)

Honestly? don't know...
So you are saying that Soul Calibur 2 was first party because it had Link in it? (best selling version and had Link in the box)
NBA Street 3 was first party because they had Mario, Luigi and Peach in it? (sold like shit and it had Mario in the box)
EDIT: Forgot that SSX on tour on the Gamecube is also first party because it also has Mario Luigi and Peach on the box.

Also, I remember here on GAF when we all laughed when SEGA said they expected to sell 4 million of the game in Europe and NA; now they are close to 6 million sold. It was a really good SEGA effort.

botticus

Tanks is one of my favorite multiplayer games on the system. Honestly there's little reason for someone new to the Wii not to get Wii Play - second remote for multiplayer games and the games are a pretty good introduction to a lot of what the remote can do.

CTLance

Laser Pong and Tanks are very entertaining and fun multiplayer games. Definitely worth the ten or so bucks. I'd have paid more, tbqh.

TJ Spyke

It is hard to believe that Brawl has 3.8 million sales in the US. It still takes forever to even find just 3 additional people to connect to online.

That has more to do with the fact that online play is laggy as hell.

Dave Long

Banned
CTLance said:
Laser Pong and Tanks are very entertaining and fun multiplayer games. Definitely worth the ten or so bucks. I'd have paid more, tbqh.
Yeah. This. Tanks especially is a blast.

Not sure what the game is called, but the one where you rotate a posing Mii into the bubbles is pretty dang entertaining in multiplayer too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It is hard to believe that Brawl has 3.8 million sales in the US. It still takes forever to even find just 3 additional people to connect to online.
I personally don't like Brawl, I'm not steeped in Nintendo history and I'm not big on fighting games, but isn't it the sequel in a massively successful local multiplayer franchise? Not really that surprising that it sold really well.

Evlar

Banned
I play Brawl for a few hours with friends nearly every weekend and I would never consider taking the game online. It's the best of local multiplayer, concentrated and refined.

TJ Spyke

Dedication, Super Smash Bros. Melee was the best selling GameCube game worldwide (and the only one to crack 1 million in Japan IIRC). I wouldn't be shocked at how popular Brawl is. I expect it to have legs too, Melee was still selling 20K+ every month 5 years after being released.

KevinCow

Banned
I think that has more to do with Nintendo's online incompetence than the number of people playing online. Both the fact that it was always a pain to connect to people, even right when it launched and everyone was online, and that most people have pretty much just given up on the game's online mode ever being playable and dedicated it to local play only.

GC|Simon

Captain Smoker said:
This.

"Today I'm going to buy a new Wiimote"

In the store:
"Oh my, just 10$ more and I get a new game with my Wiimote, I'll buy this"

Normal reaction.

I remember the European Wii launch. I tried to get two additional Wiimotes but I couldn't find only one. So I ended up in buying two times Wii Play (I got already one copy)...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Evlar said:
I play Brawl for a few hours with friends nearly every weekend and I would never consider taking the game online. It's the best of local multiplayer, concentrated and refined.

Not a free pass. Especially not when MKW launches a month later and has more options and far less lag.

Neomoto

DefectiveReject said:
Man. Put Mario in a game and watch it sell
Well, it is the biggest franchise in gaming..

I bet Nintendo sold more then 100 million Mario games this generation alone ! Seriously, think about that for a second. On DS and Wii combined. And that's just retail, not to mention Virtual Console games on which Mario constantly sells big. And I can't see one crappy game between them, except maybe Mario Party 8 (haven't played it but some say it isn't very good).

Oh btw, the reason why there hasn't been a Mario Party this year, I think, is because Mario Party sales exploded this generation, both outselling EVERY other entry by 2-4 million depending on the entry. I think we won't see one every year from now on with these enormous sales (think Gears of War 1 kind of massive sales).

DefectiveReject said:
Man. Put Pokemon in a MAIN game and watch it sell

I think it should be corrected. Pokemon seems to always break day 1 sales for Nintendo, I cant remember a Mario game ever doing it, and it seems solely in the fact that with Pokemon NIntendo saved themselves from brutal defeat in the days of the GB, and GBC, and even GBA, even Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum sold like hot cakes.

Neomoto

Day 1 sales hardly matter with the kind of legs most Nintendo games have :) Although Super Smash Bros. Brawl recently took the US record for Nintendo in its launch week (day?).

legend166

My dream about Mario Party is that they're taking the time to make a 'best of' with about 150 of the best minigames from the previous titles.

I've wanted it for so long.

Neomoto said:
Day 1 sales hardly matter with the kind of legs most Nintendo games have :) Although Super Smash Bros. Brawl recently took the US record for Nintendo in its launch week (day?).

Nintendo Press Release claims 1.4 million copies sold during Release Week, with 874,000 on Day 1 in the US. Interesting.

I guess the only final Record Brawl has to beat is that of Melee's/

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nintendo Press Release claims 1.4 million copies sold during Release Week, with 874,000 on Day 1 in the US. Interesting.

I guess the only final Record Brawl has to beat is that of Melee's/

Brawl isn't way ahead of Melee at this point?

Though I am pretty happy to see Twilight Princess trouncing Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass :)

WW was a good game, but the lack of love for TP still saddens me. At least people spoke with their dollars.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
John Harker said:
Brawl isn't way ahead of Melee at this point?

Though I am pretty happy to see Twilight Princess trouncing Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass :)

WW was a good game, but the lack of love for TP still saddens me. At least people spoke with their dollars.

Its beaten Melee's sales WW by about 500k by now

bj00rn_

Banned
What the hell is that tricksterous third-party title doing in Nintendo's best selling Wii list? Is Nintendo aware of this? What can they do to stop it?

Haunted

legend166 said:
My dream about Mario Party is that they're taking the time to make a 'best of' with about 150 of the best minigames from the previous titles.

I've wanted it for so long.
:eek:

I know several people who will be severely disappointed if there's no Mario Party 9 coming next year. If Hudson has been working on something all this time....

:eek:

Xisiqomelir

Mutagenic said:
Serious lack of third-party titles. =[

One would figure that at some point pulling your pants up would be a good idea. If not immediately, at least 2 years after the act of being caught.

Glix said:
Bummer that Metroid isn't on the list.

That would require a real Metroid game. AFAIK, there's only Super Metroid and Metroid on VC.

ZAK

bj00rn_ said:
What the hell is that tricksterous third-party title doing in Nintendo's best selling Wii list? Is Nintendo aware of this? What can they do to stop it?
Better move in on that genre to muscle it out of the market! Wii Music, I choose you!

SilverLunar said:
wat.
I honestly didn't expect it.

Mario appeared in EA's SSX and NBA Street and it did nothing to help boost their sales.

Top Bottom