• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Top 10 Wii Games LTD (NPD)

jvm

Gamasutra.
1. Wii Play
2. Mario Kart
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Wii Fit
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Guitar Hero III
7. Mario Party 8
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
9. Mario & Sonic: Olympic Games
10. Link's Crossbow Training

Source: Slide show.

Article: Text with some random stuff in it

Some 306 games were released for the Wii console in 2008 compared to 264 for the Xbox 360 and 201 for the PlayStation 3, according to EEDAR's GamePulse database. This glut of content--much of which isn't very good--makes buying a Wii game a leap of faith. Publishers want to capitalize on the growing audience of Wii gamers, but few outside of Nintendo have learned how to make a good Wii game. The average review score for games on the console is 62 out of 100.

The Wii's two-year old library is already 827 games strong.

Tossing out some lesser-known (to the normals) games as recommendations:
What should you try? Alongside your "Mario Karts" and "Guitar Heroes," game players comfortable hunting zombies on the Xbox 360 will likely enjoy playing survival horror game "Resident Evil 4." Those who grew up with the "Legend of Zelda" should also try the Japanese-fable-inspired adventure game "Okami" that puts players in control of the sun goddess, Amaterasu. Puzzle fanatics will enjoy the environmental brain twisters included in "Zack & Wiki." Paint a drab, dull world in "de Blob." And party games "Boom Blox," which resembles a virtual, exploding Lego set and the mini-game collection "Raving Rabbids TV Party" are also good fun.

Aren't RE4, Okami, and Zack & Wiki all Capcom titles? Moneyhats! (joke)

Tim-E

Mutagenic said:
Serious lack of third-party titles. =[

davis2.jpg

Tiktaalik

Vibrant 3rd party market indeed.

In before someone says that 3rd parties need to try harder.

edit: Oh wait Guitar Hero 3 is there. I take most of my cynicism back.

jvm said:
1. Wii Play
2. Mario Kart
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Wii Fit
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Guitar Hero III
7. Mario Party 8
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Source: Slide show.

Article: Text with some random stuff in it
Thx jvm, nice find. :)

I'll ad the numbers we have. ;)

1. Wii Play - 7.930.000
2. Mario Kart - 4.013.000
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 3.850.000**
4. Wii Fit - 3.530.000
5. Super Mario Galaxy - 3.300.000**
6. Guitar Hero III
7. Mario Party 8
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2.200.000*
*till end of September 08
**my estimate

Jammy

Banned
Tiktaalik said:

edit: Oh wait Guitar Hero 3 is there. I take most of my cynicism back.

As is Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

I'm not surprised at the 827 figure when you consider the vast amount of... below-average-ware third parties keep lobbing at the thing.

stuminus3 said:
Something something Wii something piss something something moan something.

We've officially hit the bottom of the barrel for ironic Wii trolling. The only trolling descriptor this guy could come up with was "piss."

Anyway, wtf@link's crossbow training.

Wii. Fuck.

Tiktaalik

Jammy said:
As is Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

Though it's pretty arguable that that one is riding on the success of the Nintendo brand name.

Of course my early super cynicism was based on not seeing any other 3rd party title on there. Guitar Hero 3, which I missed, has done really well and is a notable success.

Damn, Mario Kart is a beast. Surprisingly the top 10 are all fairly solid titles with the exception of Galaxy and Zelda, which are great titles.

Tiktaalik said:

C'mon - what third party titles for the system do you think had any chance of selling the 1,000,000+ in the US needed to break into this top ten?

Cosmonaut X said:
C'mon - what third party titles for the system do you think had any chance of selling the 1,000,000+ in the US needed to break into this top ten?

Dragon Quest is the first one I can feasibly see doing that.

So, Mario Party 8 has sold well over 2 million copies in the US, then. That's a good amount higher than its last known figures. All the other ones fit in with their known data.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Cosmonaut X said:
Hey now, it turns out Imagine Babyz is a solid, quality title.

Glix

Bummer that Metroid isn't on the list.

Oh and a protip for casual Wii gamers - If you have a Wii, but don't have a copy of Mario Galaxy, you are doing something terribly wrong.

From IGN:

Till end of September 08:
Twilight Princess [WII]: 2.200.000
Twilight Princess [GCN]: 900.000
---------------------------------------
Total: 3.100.000

Ocarina of Time (best selling Zelda in the US) = 3.540.000

Twilight Princess is the second best selling Zelda in the USA since 1996, the Wii - Version would be quite higher without the GCN - version.

markatisu

Just in case you wanted to update the numbers, Nintendo said at their E3 press conference that GH3 was nearing 3.1-3.2m

w3stfa11

Cosmonaut X said:

I could definitely see a Rayman Raving Rabbids game selling 1m in the US, but it still wouldn't break into the list.

markatisu said:
Just in case you wanted to update the numbers, Nintendo said at their E3 press conference that GH3 was nearing 3.1-3.2m
Really? Seems I missed that one, thanx. ;)

1. Wii Play - 7.930.000
2. Mario Kart - 4.013.000
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 3.850.000***
4. Wii Fit - 3.530.000
5. Super Mario Galaxy - 3.300.000***
6. Guitar Hero III - 3.100.000**
7. Mario Party 8
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2.200.000*
*till end of September 08
**till end of June 08
***my estimate

markatisu

We should also keep in mind for the most part we are talking about multi-millions which is a bit harder to reach for most games

Haunted

Ysiadmihi said:
All of those 1st party games are no Fire Emblem makes me :(

No I didn't really expect it to be there.
!

And Strikers Charged.

sold only in Europe, I know.

Link said:
Hey now, it turns out Imagine Babyz is a solid, quality title.
I can only imagine the congratulations and cheers all around if such a title would make the list.

clemenx

Banned
Blu_LED said:
The fact that Mario Galaxy is not number one, makes me want to kill someone.
Agreed.

I didn't know that CBT sold that well :lol that's a lot of zappers.

Also, list needs more Metroid Prime 3 :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
cw_sasuke said:
WTF - Links CBT sold that well :lol
Really proves that games can rack up massive sales while existing completely off the radar of the top 10.

Jetku said:
Mario and Sonic is third party as well.

..but I am surprised at the high sales of crossbow training..

But it has Mario on the box, even if is published by Sega I would disqualify this games are a real 3rd party title

KTallguy

Banned
I'd love to see top 10s for 360 and PS3.

All and all, a healthy market for 3rd parties to play around in.

Cosmonaut X said:
Developed by Sega and published by Sega in the US = third party title.

You can try and "disqualify" if you want, but it isn't a Nintendo-developed or published title.

If Mario was on the cover of Boom Blox, it would have sold like 10x more copies.
That's the reality.

gutter_trash said:
But it has Mario on the box, even if is published by Sega I would disqualify this games are a real 3rd party title

Developed by Sega and published by Sega in the US = third party title.

You can try and "disqualify" if you want, but it isn't a Nintendo-developed or published title.

markatisu

KTallguy said:

You could probably make the Top 10 LTD for the 360 since month in and month out at least 4-7 games are in the NPD Top 10 on that platform

I doubt it would be interesting as it would most likely be (in no real order) Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Madden 2007, Madden 2008, Madden 2009, GTAIV, Assassins Creed, Gears of War and Gears of War 2 (after next month)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
KTallguy said:

360 (in only a rough order from top to bottom): halo, cod4, gta4, gears, asscreed, gh3, rock band, cod5, oblivion (combined skus), and one of madden 07 or 09 (probably 09). all of these are at or above 1.2 million in npd numbers. for a top 20, you'd add some mix of: the other madden, madden 08, cod2, gh2, graw, mass effect, cod3, both vegas games, fight night round 3, and fable 2. all of these are at least 700k.

ps3 is much harder to guess because not much stays on the top 10 for all that long, but the top 10 list would include at least gta4, cod4, resistance, mgs4, madden 08. the rest of the top 10 would probably be some set of madden 09, madden 07, rock band, motorstorm, cod5, and uncharted. all of these are 500k+ or so.

Having just gone from about 30 to 90 stars in SMG in the past week (I put it down and didn't return for a while like I do with a lot of games) makes me wish Galaxy was Wii's Kingpin, still glad it'd doing well though.

Top Bottom