• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget upgrading your GPU for better graphics, try upgrading your TV instead

Screenshot-20220912-213201-Samsung-Internet.jpg

And for some reason, whenever I go through the calibration settings on avsforums the picture looks awful.
The way that these nerds set their displays is truly awful. It's always so warm that the entire image is some shade of red and whites look urine stained, and they use arguments like "well your eyes are just used to looking at blue-tinted screens" as if you don't look at things in the real world.

A.Romero

The way that these nerds set their displays is truly awful. It's always so warm that the entire image is some shade of red and whites look urine stained, and they use arguments like "well your eyes are just used to looking at blue-tinted screens" as if you don't look at things in the real world.

I did get used to it a few minutes later after trying. Not sure if better or not compared to a different configuration but I left it like that. It's really only noticeable when changing. I regularly use a phone and a tablet while watching TV and I haven't noticed a difference so far.

Agree with OP, there is a difference when playing with modern TV's.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Bang on man. Absolutely bang on. I believe people that calibrate their TVs and then claim to like how it looks are without souls.

Hawk269

I get what the OP is saying though. I have had so many people visit my house/game room and get blown away by the visuals of some games and they already owned those games, but it was the TV that made the difference.

Kuranghi

Everyone in this thread hating on IPS but my 27" IPS 4K monitor still looks amazing to me 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I exaggerate mate, on IPS the colour is lovely and the contrast/black level is not terrible at all in isolation. Its just once you see them side-by-side with an FALD VA or OLED, the difference generally but especially in dark scenes is eye-opening. The black level can be up to 10x as deep with IPS vs. FALD VA and blooming/unformity is very different.

Heres comparison of Hisense U8G, which is VA and has ~136 zones in 55" and LG QNED90, which is IPS and has a whopping ~1200 zones in 65" - thats the minimum size, the U8G has 360 in 65" but the size tested was 55". So the Hisense is at a massive disadvantage for blooming control.

The test is asking the TV to display a bright white cross on a pure black background, so ideally the black pixels should be off and the cross pixels on at a high brightness.

U8G:

uniformity-local-dimming-large.jpg

QNED90:

You won't notice this as much blooming into the black on your monitor possibly because its edge-lit or direct-lit, where the lights can only all brighten up and down together, so the whole black part of the image is grey/blue. Maybe it has local dimming of the edge lights so whole columns light up in the black/dark, but thats actually worse than without any local dimming imo because its so distracting. Make sure your brightness on your phone/display is high to see the difference.

This is an edge-lit LG with local dimming vs. an edge-lit or direct-lit LG without, both IPS.

NANO80 2020:

uniformity-large.jpg

NANO85 2021:

I mean, neither is ideal but I think the top one is best because at least you can attach LEDs to the back of the top one as bias lighting to trick your eyes into raising their black floor, so to speak. I know thats unrealistic content but its just to see the difference in an almost objective way, here is what it looks like in real content:

yEROfTm.jpg
NQvNGPF.jpg

(That intro for reference: h-tee-tee-ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4wuVfV5G4)

This is HDR, so the backlight is maxed out, won't be quite that egregious in SDR where backlight can be set to what you desire.

Kuranghi

Bang on man. Absolutely bang on. I believe people that calibrate their TVs and then claim to like how it looks are without souls.

"without souls" lol, hopefully hyperbole or you're mad as a bean, I prefer calibration but enjoy your telly how you like 🤷‍♂️.

If you want to look at purple people then more power to you, I'll continue to enjoy and espouse the virtue of my piss-faces.

AGRacing

Gold Member
"without souls" lol, hopefully hyperbole or you're mad as a bean, I prefer calibration but enjoy your telly how you like 🤷‍♂️.

If you want to look at purple people then more power to you, I'll continue to enjoy and espouse the virtue of my piss-faces.
Only on Gaf! Yes it was obviously a joke.

kiphalfton

PC monitors always look shit to me. Awful colours, contrast, black levels and HDR. The matte finish doesn't help either.

Great if you're a PrO e-SpOrTz G4m3r but I want maximum visual fidelity and immersion.
Exactly.

I have an Alienware AW3420DW ultra wide monitor and although the aspect ratio is great and games obviously run at higher frame rate at 1440p than at 4k (say for instance if I play them on my TV instead of on the monitor)... everything looks washed out.

supernova8

Banned
Recently bought my girlfriend two bargain basement priced unknown Chinese brand 180hz 1080p (curved) 24 inch monitors (about $120 each) for her WFH setup and yeah while they are 180hz, the image quality is absolute garbage.

Could probably calibrate it but it's really night and day compared to my $250 ASUS G-sync monitor and even compared to my cheap-ass BenQ 24 inch basic (60hz) monitor.

Then again it's just for doing spreadsheet stuff so I doubt she gives a shit.

REDRZA MWS

So I typically play my PC games on a 1080p LCD panel. I also have an LG OLED in the living room - which I seldom use for gaming.

Nevertheless, I hooked my PC up to the LG and the difference in visuals is staggering. Spiderman - which is essentially an upscaled PS4 game - looked breathtaking. Conversely the visuals looked so dull and flat on my LCD monitor. I also always felt Doom Eternal looked quite average looking on my PC monitor, but it looked utterly insane on the OLED.

For both games, the image had a real sense of depth, visual effects/particles/colours had a notable 'pop' and playing games was so much more enjoyable and immersive.

The difference in graphics between the two display sets was day and night. Both Spiderman and Doom Eternal looked significantly better on the OLED. I know many of you are disappointed that most games look crossgen but it was clear to me that having a high quality TV set can offset the limited visual improvement we've seen in games today.

Truthfully I yearn for an OLED as my PC monitor however the prospect of burn in scares the pants out of me as I spend the vast majority of PC usage with Firefox + Microsoft Word (static elements). But the sweet, sweet picture quality is so alluring...
Make sure you new TV has HDMI 2.1. Just a thought and futureproof.

OZ9000

Banned
bullshit. IQ cant be way off, except the colors. But only colors don't define IQ. Unless he has a Sears housebrand PoS
The picture looks much better on the OLED. Better colours, motion, and black levels. There is also no contest with regards to the HDR performance too. IPS panels look like absolute garbage in comparison.

Kids are still trying to convince me that 20-year-old LCD technology is better than OLED. "But but but you have 1000Hz refresh and 0.000001ms response!"

Banjo64

cumsessed
Everyone in this thread hating on IPS but my 27" IPS 4K monitor still looks amazing to me 🤷‍♂️
IPS is fantastic if you get a panel with little/no noticeable bleed.

Here’s one that’ll make GAF laugh, but my 25 inch 1080p IPS (EX2510) is far better than my Bravia XD8088 which has 4k/HDR and cost £700.

I had a situation recently with someone I know who had a 2080 and played on a crappy old 1080p monitor at 60hz.

They wanted to essentially buy a new GPU to get "better graphics".
I urged them to wait, and instead buy a good 1440p 144hz monitor.
They took my advice and couldn't believe how much better it looked.

It was, to them, like upgrading to a new GPU anyway.

The difference between 1080 and 1440p is stark, especially once you are able to add to the effect by nearly doubling any potential frame rate in many cases.

I'd always look at upgrading my panel as a priority if I were playing at 1080.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think the last contemporary PC game I saw running at 1080p was Arkham Asylum, there just weren't enough pixels to resolve all the nice texture detail and it looked like a jumbled mess even with the highest settings/AA/SS/whatever despite great performance.

Last edited:

Bojji

So true, i tried set up like that but couldn't handle it for long. The warmest color pallete i can handle is "standard\normal", anything warmer than that is bad to my eyes (and i used cold for many years before).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The new LG nano IPS panels with their polarising layer are insane!

Havea good look at the 32 GQ850 or GQ950 and be prepared to be impressed. Amazing colour accuracy too.

So true, i tried set up like that but couldn't handle it for long. The warmest color pallete i can handle is "standard\normal", anything warmer than that is bad to my eyes (and i used cold for many years before).
I don't like that yellow hue that warmer settings seem to offer.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Your posting on a gaming forum you are a nerd too…

Kupfer

Nah. I'll stick with my 240hz monitor.

Fluidity over fidelity all the time, every time.
The jump from 60hz to 90hz was clearly noticeable for me, from 90hz to 144hz already not so huge, so I'm more than satisfied with my 120hz LG OLED48CX.
Once you got true black you can't go back.

Last edited:

CuNi

The jump from 60hz to 90hz was clearly noticeable for me, from 90hz to 144hz already not so huge, so I'm more than satisfied with my 120hz LG OLED48CX.
Once you got true black you can't go back.
I have an OLED C1 65 TV for Movies and Series and while games also look great on it, I can't help it but miss the 240hz.
I guess it depends on what one plays. For the people that prefer cinematic experiences, I completely agree with you. Visuals with minimal HUD clutter etc. look gorgeous on OLED and even more so on a big TV.

But for me, someone who prefers more competitive and action heavy shooters, the 240hz coupled with BFI just gives me satisfaction with how butter smooth the animations are.

To be fair, I can't wait to check out how 360Hz feels once the price drops some more on those... or maybe I'll upgrade to 1440p/4k@240hz or go from 25" to 27".. I guess I'll decide that in 2-3 years.

Whitecrow

Banned
Whatever you have, just calibrate it with some tests.

Get the gamma as close to 2.2 as you can.
Make sure the contrast doesnt clip any color.

You cant control much outside this.
Color temp and brightness are subjective.

On TVs, you may fiddle with picture modes to get 444 chroma, but some TVs like LG C9 might suck at gamma accuracy in PC mode (causing some banding issues) with RGB input, so...
test. Getting the best out of a display takes some time. But is worth it.

Outside of that, I would say that black level, max contrast, which are the 'popular settings'... comes after.
What color accuracy can do to how you perceive the image can do wonders too.

Top Bottom