• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgive Me Bill for I have sinned.. I like Apple now!!

Soltype

I tell all my friends and coworkers if you're not a power user you're probably better off getting an Apple product. They are fantastic products when you don't want more than what they give you.

daveonezero

Banned
I tell all my friends and coworkers if you're not a power user you're probably better off getting an Apple product. They are fantastic products when you don't want more than what they give you.
even then it’s just a personal preference.

I personally like being able to use my computer as my device. Messages etc etc

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
hqdefault.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I like Apple. If I didn’t have a Mac Pro, I’d have a Linux PC.

I hear that through WSL you can now have a good server development experience in Windows, so I guess Windows isn’t that bad nowadays.

What do you do on a MacBook other than browse the web and check emails?

Build multi-million dollar software projects? The MacBook Pro is the only computer that all companies in the Bay Area hand out to their employees.

What? The majority of pivotal software development in the world is carried out in Apple computers; they provide the best development environment compatible with Linux. Google, Facebook, Twitter, all of those systems are built by people using Mac computers. If anything, Windows is for people who only see a computer as a toy (videogaaames), or develop only for the Microsoft ecosystem.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

This has been a bit of a misnomer for a long time since under the hood is Linux.

All the power / tooling any "power user" could want.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Lol yeah I’m sure the majority of people buying these things are doing that.
Easily a bigger percentage of the user base compared to Windows users. Windows has a 73% market share of the OS market and yet only 47% of software developers in the world use Windows. Meanwhile OSX has a quarter of the market share of Windows and yet almost half the number of software developers in the world use OSX.

Soltype

What? The majority of pivotal software development in the world is carried out in Apple computers; they provide the best development environment compatible with Linux. Google, Facebook, Twitter, all of those systems are built by people using Mac computers. If anything, Windows is for people who only see a computer as a toy (videogaaames), or develop only for the Microsoft ecosystem.

This has been a bit of a misnomer for a long time since under the hood is Linux.

All the power / tooling any "power user" could want.
Never said anything about Windows.I only recommend windows if you have to use it.

Last edited:

Kacho

Easily a bigger percentage of the user base compared to Windows users. Windows has a 73% market share of the OS market and yet only 47% of software developers in the world use Windows. Meanwhile OSX has a quarter of the market share of Windows and yet almost half the number of software developers in the world use OSX.
I mean that’s great but that still doesn’t answer my original question. Let me rephrase it. What does the average user, who isn’t a developer, do on their MacBook beyond checking their mail and browsing the web. Maybe some simple video/photo editing? What else?

Dream-Knife

Banned
You like having less ability?

Why not just use Linux? It's better and it's native.

I do see the appeal of Mac due to Dell, HP, etc making terrible products. If you build your own PC with quality components you almost never have issues.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I like my iPhone and there’s only a few things I miss from Android, but I wouldn’t have any use for an Apple computer. Macbooks are nice and they seem to be well built and all that good stuff, but if I wasn’t on Windows I’d be on Linux. I am not their target audience.

Every time I switch to Apple, I'm aghast that I can't do something due to OS limitations, and I scramble back to shitty Android. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I hate Apple for a month.

I do want to switch though, when I'm not completely dependant on my phone as a tool for work.

dorkimoe

Windows is still GOAT.

I got my first Macbook/Mac last year....been using PC's for 25 years and i struggled to even install an application. I still struggle sometimes because it doesnt seem like update feature works on any apps so you have to manually download and then its like i have multiples installed.

I use a MacBook Pro, a gaming PC, a Windows gaming laptop, an iPad, and a Pixel 6.

I guess I just can't help being so cool that I can live in multiple ecosystems and use multiple platforms and not feel the need to choose a virtual tribe and to try to kill the other virtual tribe wherever I can find them.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's a pretty typical response to clicking with Apple products, their OS's, and interoperability. It wears off after several weeks, around the time you'll start noticing all of the things Apple still does poorly (or not at all). I've been there, all of my friends have been there at some point.

Apple makes excellent laptops with a great and intuitive operating system. It's so annoying going back to Windows. The major downsides are the price and lack of game support.

Havoc2049

I've done that. Was gifted an iPhone and just gave it away to my missus immediately. Bloody thing was pink anyway. Asked her for a 200 euro android phone instead as a replacement.

'It just works'. When all you do is read news or check emails, both are equal.

I blame Candy Crush, it's the form they claimed solved and over-sold. FREE iPHONE (with this plan you pay huge money for for years so we get our dollars). Be idiot free for years! Oh wait? Your broke it?

Buy a new one.

That was the the pinnacle and they cost even more then.

Phhfftt..

bitbydeath

I mean that’s great but that still doesn’t answer my original question. Let me rephrase it. What does the average user, who isn’t a developer, do on their MacBook beyond checking their mail and browsing the web. Maybe some simple video/photo editing? What else?
Anything they want but with less bugs.

I converted to apple after my first HTC windows phone many many years ago. Went to iPhone and never left. Got an iPad Pro, Apple Watch and AirPods and everything works fluidly and as expected.

I have a Samsung galaxy as a work phone and I hate it. As it comes, without tinkering, The OS is all over the place and the build quality feels cheap.

Edit: I’d never get a MacBook though. My PC is a gaming rig primarily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom