• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gearbox dev: "We only did MP-portion of Aliens!". SEGA: "NOPE"

Sounds more like Gearbox damage controlling another shit product that wasn't a port, the first Brothers in Arms or Borderlands 2.

Maybe. But can you blame them?

2648816_o4pyvk.gif

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wonder if SEGA even noticed, your game you paying to publish took 6 years but 2 Borderland games pop up no issue. Either SEGA was clueless or just they ones who put Gearbox up to this , be funny now if SEGA announce they investigating Gearbox.

Sega is strange. I mean they cancelled Alien RPG which seemed to be in much better shape than Alpha Protocol according to former Obsidian devs and then they forced Obsidian to implement some questionable mechanics like stats-based shooting in AP (this one according to Avellone, I believe) only to be grilled for that in reviews later.

I work in a completely different industry but have been involved in projects where portions are outsourced... it never works out nicely. Situations like this are most often the result of value engineering to lower costs as much as possible. Its a shame another Alien(s) game was dealt half a deck of cards.

subversus

I work in a completely different industry but have been involved in projects where portions are outsourced... it never works out nicely. Situations like this are most often the result of value engineering to lower costs as much as possible. Its a shame another Alien(s) game was dealt half a deck of cards.

yep, Deus Ex bosses were outsorced too even though Eidos Montreal backpedalled on this later and said that they are responsible for bosses (and yeah, they are indeed). But it's hard to believe them because it DLC boss was extremely well done and it was done in-house.

From the trailers, I didn't think it looked graphically good for a game that has spent years in development.

So you expected a game that began development years ago to look on par with games developed in the last year?

What do you think happens when a game is stuck in development hell. Do you think that the game engine magically scale to modern features as the years pass?

Pooya

now it makes sense, somewhat, Gearbox wasn't exactly great in the past but not this bad. Still it's their name on the box and most players of this game will remember it like that, not a good thing.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm convinced that this game was a disaster for all those involved. It sounded like they were sitting on a mess they couldn't fix or sweep under the rug, and they figured they might as well bite the bullet, or pull the band aid off -- which ever expression you prefer.

Please, please, please; we have to get a post-mortem of this game. What the hell happened during those 6 years?

Honestly, SEGA should've went for Aliens VS Predators 2 with Rebellion instead.

I was aware that four studios had worked on the game but I never thought Gearbox outsourced the damn SP campaign to someone else entirely. God every interview Pitchford gave proclaiming his love for Aliens. What a bunch of nonsense. If you care you don't let this shit happen.

ari

Banned
Game suck. Framerate in co op and the environment does nothing for me. Shit.

Gear box is also a shit studio it seems anyhow. Didn't expect anything special.

I was aware that four studios had worked on the game but I never thought Gearbox outsourced the damn SP campaign to someone else entirely. God every interview Pitchford gave proclaiming his love for Aliens. What a bunch of nonsense. If you care you don't let this shit happen.

Pitchford's turned into a corporate asshat in my opinion.

Pooya

I'm not sure why Sega went to Gearbox even, probably more expensive than themselves getting TimeGate and other studios to salvage it, they really wanted that Gearbox name maybe? ...

That IGN interview also confirms what I figured was true the whole time, that Demiurge wasn't just credited for working on the Wii U port and had a lot of input. They're practically Gearbox's sister studio.

Pretty much, they did the BIA: Double Time port on Wii, as well as Escalator having helped with Samba Wii.

Lmao, I mean fhis isn't funny but I recall saying to a friend a year ago how shitty it looked and how it probably is Duke Nukem Forever 2 for Gearbox

Mrbob

I love how information comes out that Gearbox's role in Aliens is limited now that we know the game sucks.

subversus

hm......

superannuation ‏@supererogatory
Possibly also worth mentioning that a handful of TimeGate staff also lent a hand on BioShock Infinite.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Gearbox has been making shit games this whole Gen. I do not understand why people think Popculturereferecelands is any good.

subversus

yeah, but still Bioshock Infinite seems to be a mess too. I guess we'll see at the end of this month.

So what is gearbox actually working on then? Are they working on furious 4 or duke nukem reboot?

What's really ridiculous is that Furious 4 is another game already in development hell. That was announced close to 2 years ago as a Brothers in Arms game and when everyone bitched about it that game hasn't been seen since.

Ridley327

Incidentally, when I was looking up information about the Borderlands DLC, I saw that Darkside Game Studios is also lending a hand to Bioshock Infinite:

from their website said:
The Bioshock team was so happy with our work on Bioshock 2, they asked us back to help out on Infinite. Our services included performance optimization and tuning. We also contributed on the art side, providing models and textures for several characters.

Adam Blue

They're making the games that make them the most money (i.e. Borderlands).

The Alien IP sells, and it will especially with Gearbox attached. I'm wondering if they were just given a limited budget in the first place knowing that it will sell anyway.

Crawl

What's really ridiculous is that Furious 4 is another game already in development hell. That was announced close to 2 years ago as a Brothers in Arms game and when everyone bitched about it the game hasn't been seen since.

Not only that, but doesnt gearbox outsource a lot of their DLC as well? Like isn't borderlands 1 & 2 dlc phoned in from gearbox?

subversus

What's really ridiculous is that Furious 4 is another game already in development hell. That was announced close to 2 years ago as a Brothers in Arms game and when everyone bitched about it the game hasn't been seen since.

Gearbox owns Borderlands IP (to my knowledge). This gives them huge pull and tons of money. Anything else seems to be an afterthought for them.

Timegate aren't a bad studio. I knocked a good few hours of fun out of Section 8: Prejudice's multiplayer and the FEAR expansion packs were decent enough.

Mesoian

Why does Gearbox accept these shit games to pile on their resume? This and Duke Nukem.

Big IP's, people get in on name alone, I'm sure Aliens: CM will do at least 500k in the casual market alone.

But man...what a god damn mess. I've never heard of TimeGate until today.

Sega is the publisher, so the term "trainwreck" usually goes hand in hand.

This is the one game they actually did their job for.

The ONE GAME. This game got prime time advertising slots during UFC, CFB and NFL matches. Not even Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, which was fantastic, got that.

SEGA IS SO BAD AT WHAT THEY DO!

I'm not sure why Sega went to Gearbox even, probably more expensive than themselves getting TimeGate and other studios to salvage it, they really wanted that Gearbox name maybe? ...

The development on this game is 6 years old. Likely scenario is no one else wanted it.

Here is Randy Pitchford being more specific on how they split the development duties.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/the-future-according-to-randy-pitchford

Well that clears up who did what at least!

Pitchford explained the contribution of each studio, noting that Demiurge (the studio behind Shoot Many Robots) was “with us at the very beginning, helping us to explore networking and multiplayer,” as well as assisting with Colonial Marines’ Wii U port. Houston-based TimeGate Studios, meanwhile, worked on “probably about 20 or 25 percent of the total time,” with Pitchford noting that “if you take preproduction out of it, their effort’s probably equivalent to ours. Now, it’s not fair to take preproduction out of it, but that says a lot about how much horsepower those guys put into it.”

Other contributions came from Nerve Software, who built multiplayer maps for the game. “We wanted some more multiplayer stuff, more content and more features for the game that we shipped rather than parceling it all out for downloadable content,” Pitchford explained. “We wanted to put more in the game that shipped. Nerve had some time and those guys are badass. They’re right down the street. That just made sense. They got some of their awesome guys to do some cool sh*t. Some of my favorite multiplayer maps came out of that group.”

subversus

Incidentally, when I was looking up information about the Borderlands DLC, I saw that Darkside Game Studios is also lending a hand to Bioshock Infinite:

well, it seems like the usual fare in AAA development these days when 1323934 studios make one game, see AssCreed games, Bioshock 2 and so on.

KissVibes

Banned
What's really ridiculous is that Furious 4 is another game already in development hell. That was announced close to 2 years ago as a Brothers in Arms game and when everyone bitched about it that game hasn't been seen since.

And this plus upcoming platforms is why it hasn't been seen. Unfortunately, the ship has kinda sailed on the project. Would've been great to have release when Inglourious Basterds was still relatively fresh on the minds of the consumer.

Mxrz

Doesn't matter. Its still Gearbox's name on the box. They're the ones people are going to associate with it. Maybe they should be picking better partners or something.

Remember when Sega unveiled it's new re-structuring plan a year ago? And Aliens games was gonna be the focus of 1/4 of all their development?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Was Mad Moxxi even Gearbox's creation?

One of the best (and simultaneously worst) things about Borderlands.

My brain hurts just thinking about the web of madness coming out of that studio.

Hystzen

well, it seems like the usual fare in AAA development these days when 1323934 studios make one game, see AssCreed games, Bioshock 2 and so on.

At least Ubisoft uses different Ubisoft branches , instead we got Gearbox with its name on the cover and taking all credit quickly trying to stop taking credit due to review scores.

This game being released is amazing it a game that wont stop giving

Top Bottom