• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former RDR lead MP designer says there was never any intention to bring RDR to PC

120v

it wasn't quite standard yet for AAA titles to release on PC along with consoles in the late 2000s

though, yeah it is perplexing given Rockstar's previous PC support

Dr.Acula

Banned
I get RDR not being ported, but being surprised that GTAV went over? Was he surprised by GTA III? Vice City? San Andreas? GTA IV?

GTA has a pretty long history of being migrated to PC.

Renekton

I get RDR not being ported, but being surprised that GTAV went over? Was he surprised by GTA III? Vice City? San Andreas? GTA IV?

GTA has a pretty long history of being migrated to PC.
My guess is GTAV was also another massive technical challenge.

hesido

Whatever Rockstar does from now on, should come to PC at some point unless the IP is owned by someone else, but I guess there's none of that left either (agent?)

jmga

It seems Rockstar changed their mind about PC ports with Max Payne 3 and GTA V, at least RDR2 is expected to be on PC if made.

SentryDown

Bit of context here :

• Rockstar doesn't alaways release PC version (Midnight Club)
• GTA 4 PC was a mess despite 6 additional monthes of dev (nobody knows about their sales)
• In a Q&A they stated : "All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms."
• Please remember that PC version of GTA 5 was released 19 months after the PS3/360 version, it's safe to assume they did not planned it right from the start.

IMO Rockstar engine wasn't efficient at all regarding PC, they tried with GTA 4 but it was a lot of efforts for little return on investisment (+ hurt their image). They had to wait for the next-gen refactoring to do a PC port again (probably made sure their engine was supporting PC properly this time)

KingBroly

Banned
Haha, I've said myself that I don't believe a PC version was planned initially, so this admission doesn't dampen my hopes in the slightest.

People keep asking for it despite it being out for so long. I dunno if it technically can come to PC without requiring a complete remake of it. There's definitely an audience for it, considering how well the PC port of GTAV did. I'd love for it to come to PC, but I simply don't think it's happening, especially after so long.

KAP151

But where is the sequel, where is it?

God damn that shit needs to be put on current gen/PC.

It would look amazing.

patapuf

Considering how long it took GTAV to appear on PC i believe him.

Still, considering most of ROckstars game get ported over, RDR is the anomaly, not GTAV getting a port.

mrlion

Huh? What does he mean that he was shocked that GTA5 was going to be released for PC too? All GTAs have been released for PC..

RPGam3r

Huh? What does he mean that he was shocked that GTA5 was going to be released for PC too? All GTAs have been released for PC..

What you hear about as a gamer probably differs greatly from internal conversations. There could have been a point at which a PC version was being questioned. How hard is that to believe? PC as a platform brings different challenges than consoles, and a name like GTA brings the consumers to you (I.e. system seller).

danmaku

GTAV came crazy late to PC though. Perhaps the vibe around the project was that it wasnt being considered?

It came later than normal because Rockstar wanted the double whammy of PS360 sales AND PS4X1 sales before porting the game to PC. I don't believe for a second that the PC version wasn't planned from the start.

ISee

It came later than normal because Rockstar wanted the double whammy of PS360 sales AND PS4X1 sales before porting the game to PC. I don't believe for a second that the PC version wasn't planned from the start.

My feeling too.

Vuze

One day. Still no emulator for the original Xbox.
xqemu looks promising, though I don't follow it as I don't even know why I should game-wise lol.

But yeah, best best would be Xenia. Atleast it can already boot the to the title screen of RDR :p

Hektor

If it wasn't such a hit they would have focused on Red Dead 3 instead, next gen & PC weren't their initial plan.

They wouldnt. They are different devs after all.

And its laughable to think that NG+PC version werent planned initially and only started development because of GTAV beeing a hit. Its a Rockstars Game. Its GTA. The success was to be expected and therefore everything that is involved in it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It's a damn shame that RDR isn't on PC. If they ported it now they'd still get an easy 2 million sold I reckon.

h#shdem0n

And its laughable to think that NG+PC version werent planned initially and only started development because of GTAV beeing a hit. Its a Rockstars Game. Its GTA. The success was to be expected and therefore everything that is involved in it.

I'm sure they expected it to sell well, but not necessarily "best selling entertainment product of all time" well.

It's a moot point though, see Kazen's post two above mine.

Spinifex

You'd think getting a PC port of these games is some herculean task akin to Apollo 11 or The Manhattan Project based on how they talk about it.

Like, dudes, contract Nixxes if this shit is too hard for you.

Lime

Maybe they'll do a remaster to revitalize the ip before releasing rdr2

That's the best we can hope for

SentryDown

Success and GTA-5-level success are two different things man.

Rockstar isn't blind, yes they thought of other platforms from the start (well, maybe not from the start since next gen weren't even announced), that doesn't mean the decision was set in stone before release.

Fractal

Banned
It's so sad that RDR is apparently going to be locked down to PS3/360 hardware forever, with no PC version and the code apparently too busted for them to ever attempt a remaster.
Yeah, I'd call that one of the biggest gaming "tragedies" of last gen. RDR is too good of a game to fade away in such an outdated form. Even if we had it as a backwards compatible title on X1, it still wouldn't do it justice.

That said, I really don't get his surprise over GTA V on the PC. As far as Rockstar's treatment of the PC platform goes, RDR is the outlier, not the norm. Despite the delays, all of their other major titles from last gen made it to the PC (GTA IV, LA Noire and Max Payne 3).

UrbanRats

They should concentrate on making a stellar RDR2 come to PC at this point.

RDR was great in several areas, but it's not worth it to waste time on it now, i think.
Not as a priority anyway.

nvvman

Neo Member
Publishing is about risk assessment and investments. With consoles you usually only have to develop for one platform per console. With PCs you have to support tons of ever-changing configurations.

I just tried to play a game I developed myself 6 years ago on my PC and I can't because it has a ton of compatibility issues. Tried it out on a console devkit and it worked just like it did 6 years ago.

That's all there really is to it. If they think it's worth the money to make a good PC version, they'll put the money into it. If it's a big risk, or there's not enough money, then why bother? It's not so much porting as much as optimizing and supporting hardware configurations, since game development is usually done on PCs.

Then remake it.

This game is too important and valuable to die on 360. This game needs to be available and preserved indefinitely.

It's not just a transcendent game, it's an incredible western.

Can't quite tell if it was just market research or just all hand on deck for Grand Theft Auto.

More then likely it was because Rockstar San Diego never did PC ports before and wasnt going to start for Red Dead.

Combined with the lukewarm launch of GTA4 PC and the PC scene in its pre Steam dominance era back then and I get why it didnt happen.

Which is a damn shame. RDR with the community support PC GTA games get would have been a sight to see.

Piers

Destiny makes even less sense to me. Different companies I know but I still don't understand the reasoning for Destiny not being on PC

Activision know the PC crowd will be more vocal (but also more dedicated) and didn't want to bother. Probably extra money and resources to tackle hackers.

n051de

It's so sad that RDR is apparently going to be locked down to PS3/360 hardware forever, with no PC version and the code apparently too busted for them to ever attempt a remaster.

Hope the XB1 Compatibility request will get R* to atleast allow it to run on the 1.

Top Bottom