• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Uncharted, Last of Us game designer joins Xbox Game Studios' The Initiative

EDMIX

You’ve played EA games, right? There is a reason why nobody cares about this.

?? huh? The reason why most don't care about it is because its literally a daily occurrence. All publishers at some point are hiring, firing etc. That is very, very normal practice. So folks that worked at EA have worked at Sony, have worked at MS, have worked at Capcom etc.

Take a look bud. Folks who work for EA have worked all of the industry, but folks that worked all over the industry have likely also worked for EA at some point lol Thats just the way it is, if you actually really look at their portfolios you'll see that many publishers have someone that may have worked for EA, but that is very, very normal... The most disrespectful thing you've done is see a individual developer as lessor cause they worked for EA. They need the experience, they are just 1 person, they need the job and the issues at EA may not SOLELY be based on a few developers but executives that don't even create games.

So what if I told you a game being made under a publisher has developers from Dreamfall chapters, Brothers : A Tale Of Two Sons, Bionic Commando, World in Conflict, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Syndicate etc? What does that tell you about that game coming out? You know not if its good, bad etc. Heck I don't even think you could tell me what the game even is. Why? Because developer come from all over the world and work on MANY different projects.

God Of War 2018...what did you think of it?

Elenchus

Banned
"Do you know any large companies who do not do that" Most don't do that.....

Too many people get hired and fired in the industry for really most publishers to spend all day telling you who left or was hired etc. Many times its not even the publishers openly telling us like this, many times we find out through some hiring site that they are looking for someone.

I see these kinds of announcements and tweets all the time. It’s not hype or even a big deal until someone on GAF or some other forum gets butthurt.

I would expect a new studio to announce the talent they have because that attracts more talent. We’ll have to wait to see if the game is good or not but these acquisitions put to rest the argument from GAF that this is an indie or AA studio.

They are very clearly making a AAA game. I know that upsets many on GAF but it is what it is. Learn to deal with it or stop following news related to this topic. That simple really.

LostDonkey

The talent is a good catch but I for one hope this doesn't mean that whatever game they work on turns out like a PS exclusive.

I have a PS to play those kind of story/cinematic driven single player games.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The talent is a good catch but I for one hope this doesn't mean that whatever game they work on turns out like a PS exclusive.

I have a PS to play those kind of story/cinematic driven single player games.
PlayStation does not have a patent on single player games. MS has also done that with Alan Wake, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break. Knowing Darell this would be like those.

thelastword

Banned
At that time it was the news and people at GAF who hyped her joining Naughty Dog, which is why I posted the link to the old thread. No, you can't just join a studio at will. She was invited by Naughty Dog.
Ask any Halo fan, most won't know who Corrinne Yu is. Heck, they are more familiar with her husband who ruined the art style.
Also, if she abandoned 343i for Naughty Dog(because apparently it's a charity that anyone can join) because it was a sinking ship, then I guess now Naughty Dog is the sinking ship(No offence, I love their games)
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/naug...n-joins-343-to-work-on-halo-infinite.1463126/

Yeah sure body, ND staff didn't come from anywhere, they were all hatched by Kutaragi in incubation centres. They never needed Corrinne, she just accidentally joined. I guess I will now join Space X because it's cool.
I remember the old thread, it was not the one you posted, many people did not even know who Corrine Yu was...... Some asked what was so special about her? Yet others knew, mostly because she was hyped up as a very good coder by MS fans because she worked on Halo......Which is my point, many of these guys didn't even know her history prior to Halo, but because she worked on Halo. that is when all the hype ensued.....Which is the point, that MS and it's fans hypes anything into Oblivion....

This is not to say that Corrine Yu was not a good coder, I think she is very good......I think she got lots of love because you hardly find women working as engine coders or technology leads at studios, so her accomplishments were great in that regard and she should be encouraged and showered with love for it, but let's not take this to heights you don't need it to be.........I personally esteem Corrine much more than I do Jade Raymond, but Corrine is no Andy Gavin, Christophe Balestra, Arjan Brussee, Tim Sweeney or John Carmack, she's no Gabe Newell.......Corrine was not hired as an engine programmer at ND, because ND is also home to the ICE team from SWWS........People come and go, you know how many people have left ND, Santa Monica, Guerilla etc..? What does it matter if someone shifts over and goes to a studio that offers them better or if they leave to start up their own studio, where they are their own boss with a chance to make their own money............At the end of the day, it's about an individual's progress and what would make their portfolio even better.......I'm sure Corrine was overjoyed to be taken in by ND who had just delivered yet another GOTY in TLOU that generation......That's a big deal on her resume...

Yet the real question is why has this thread shifted to Corrine Yu, Clearly, she does not stay anywhere for a longtime, she went to Amazon, she has left there too.....This thread is about Robert Ryan? Who? but you would never know.......People mention that he worked for Naughty, but fail to mention that he recently worked under Jade Raymond at EA, who never produced a zing or showed us what was to be a huge AAA game from Motive.....,

Yet, the crucial thing is this; Anybody leaving a studio, no matter how great you may esteem them, does not make their successive projects a guaranteed success, you need a good team........Look at Jaffe after he left Santa Monica Studios, I don't think Cory Barlog will be remembered for Tomb Raider or Mad Max as he will be remembered for GOW........You need a great team.....How about Cliffy B after he left Epic Games or more appropriately, Tomonobu Itagaki after he left Tecmo......One name is no guarantee or rather a few accomplished names is no guarantee that your game will be great....You have to wait on the results before you say so.........Corrine moving to ND didn't turn the game from a 85 to a 93 Meta, it does not work that way, sometimes some of the biggest and hardest workers on a team are those that shun the limelight......

You know in Halo fanbase most important devs are remembered like JRPG fans remember their creators and Corrinne Yu isn't one of them. In 343i Halo we have Frank O'Connor, Brian Reed and Kazuma Junoichi. And let's not forget the legends from Bungie era Halo.
Most people don't even know these guys unless you were listening to Halo podcasts and reading Halo Wiki's......How many do?......Most people know Frank because he posted on GAF (a very active poster at that), he did live streams, he did Youtube videos......He was also a PR person for Halo..........Ask yourself, how comes everyone knows about Cliffy B or Kojima, Dennis Dyack or Peter Molyneux.......It's because they are very active communicators or in the case of Kojima his work transcends him...So if these guys shift around, I could expect to hear some buzz or trash talk ( in Cliffy B, Dyack's and Molyneux's case), because these guys are also controversial characters....but Corrine Yu? never fitted in that pedigree level, far less for Robert Ryan.....

At that time it was the news and people at GAF who hyped her joining Naughty Dog, which is why I posted the link to the old thread. No, you can't just join a studio at will. She was invited by Naughty Dog.
Ask any Halo fan, most won't know who Corrinne Yu is. Heck, they are more familiar with her husband who ruined the art style.
Also, if she abandoned 343i for Naughty Dog(because apparently it's a charity that anyone can join) because it was a sinking ship, then I guess now Naughty Dog is the sinking ship(No offence, I love their games)
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/naug...n-joins-343-to-work-on-halo-infinite.1463126/

Yeah sure body, ND staff didn't come from anywhere, they were all hatched by Kutaragi in incubation centres. They never needed Corrinne, she just accidentally joined. I guess I will now join Space X because it's cool.
You think UC4 was going to fail without Corrine Yu? That the programmers would be lost without her? Come on now....People leave studios all the time, you need replacements......A female programmer is being boasted all about on Social media and she has a good profile, she wants to be on the team, why not? It's as simple as that....

How is announcing a new hire “hype”? Do you know any large companies who do not do that because I don’t.
You know how many expansion studios were recently acquired by Guerilla, ND, Santa Monica and San Diego......Did we have a thread for every hire?

I see these kinds of announcements and tweets all the time. It’s not hype or even a big deal until someone on GAF or some other forum gets butthurt.

I would expect a new studio to announce the talent they have because that attracts more talent. We’ll have to wait to see if the game is good or not but these acquisitions put to rest the argument from GAF that this is an indie or AA studio.

They are very clearly making a AAA game. I know that upsets many on GAF but it is what it is. Learn to deal with it or stop following news related to this topic. That simple really.
What attracts talent the most is a studio known to makes great games.....Just like Corrine wanted to work at ND and many other coders did too.....Good coders always want to go there or be affiliated with A-Teams..........Another is better compensation packages or working on something different or a bit more challenging to them....

Mattyp

Gold Member
Phil and Nadella are making it rain.

giphy.gif

demigod

You think UC4 was going to fail without Corrine Yu? That the programmers would be lost without her? Come on now....People leave studios all the time, you need replacements......A female programmer is being boasted all about on Social media and she has a good profile, she wants to be on the team, why not? It's as simple as that..

He’s saying Corinne Yu left ND because they were going down, quite laughable.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
He’s saying ND is going down because Corinne Yu left them, quite laughable.
Yeah, I read that thread he quoted..........People were already blaming Naughty for not keeping good talent because Corrine left, hilarious stuff......So it was kinda "Why are so many talented devs leaving ND". Something must be wrong? So they wanted to create a narrative around that.....The truth is, at the end of it all, all people care about is if the game is good or not....

Meanwhile, PS's Gaming Division is....

Okay I'm curious. What does this gif have to do with anything in this thread or the post you replied to? Everyone knows Sony is making money this gen. This thread is about a studio hire and nothing more. In fact, I'd argue that the only people making a big deal about said hire are xbox haters in faux shock that a thread could be made about such a thing. Meanwhile, neither CurryPanda's or Mattyp's posts have anything to do with Sony, are not an attack on anything playstation related, and aren't directed toward any ps fans, but here you are with your insecure gif posting. Pure gold. Shit flows from your mouth like rain from the sky on a rainy day. It's truly amazing.

EDMIX

Haven’t gotten to it quite yet, I may start playing once I pick up my 75” TV.

Good Good.....2 of the head writers worked on Lost Planet 3...

let that sink in my friend.

Do you now see how silly it is to get caught up at getting mad at a developer working from one publisher to another? You know not of what went wrong with that last game or what they plan to do next etc.

That is something you'll find all over the industry btw. Some titles fail, some don't. The staff move from project to project as MOST of the staff are contracted. So its not weird to have one of the best games ever made, written by a guy who directed one of the worst games ever made.....

it can happen and does all the time.

Witcher 3. Great game right?

Sooooo it has many developers that use to work at EA, but...they worked all over the industry too.

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,127586/

smh The Thing on PS2 is just a horrid game, better not play Witcher 3, clearly its going to also be very bad /s

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,293963/

smh, this person worked at Epic on Gears Of War 1 and Bulletstorm and is the executive producer on Witcher 3, no thanks folks ,I don't want to play this "Witcher 3" probably some bro dude shooter /s

just nasty, this dude worked at EA, Ubisoft AND MS. So you KNOW Witcher 3 must be a bad game when you hear that right? /s

Do you now see just how silly it might be to really say such things? I mean, you still looking to play God Of War knowing it has EA and Activision developers on board? Silly huh?

EDMIX

"I would expect a new studio to announce" I don't. It happens so often as the assumption would be no one is hiring if you don't get some announcement but clearly we know that isn't true. "I know that upsets many on GAF" Nope, that is something we've been asking of MS for literally the entire generation, that is simply something you are forcing into the narrative to argue. As in...we are saying this because we hate MS or hate that its a AAA game etc. What we are saying is they might be over hyping this hiring of developers as the concept isn't brand new, is not rare and is literally a daily occurrence. MS is announcing this to hype up the teams next game and it could back fire as having a lot of people from other studios doesn't always mean a game will be this masterful success JUST cause they all came from big publishers....MOST OF GAMING COMES FROM BIG PUBLISHERS You literally can look up the majority of AAA titles that have developers from all over the world.

it isn't new and could hurt them if they are setting it up for this unrealistic expectation.

Put it this way, what if I told you MS is hiring developers that worked on the following games in the past

Project Gotham Racing
LittleBigPlanet
Burnout Paradise
Fable
Ninja Gaiden
Rayman
Dead Space
Tomb Raider Reboot
Call Of Duty

What does any of that actually tell you about the game? Even remotely? Do you not fully understand that this is basically a normal thing that happens with all publishers and they don't spend all this time telling folks this every week or? So nothing wrong with MS hiring , simply that this isn't really news, this is basically a thing all publishers do and to frame it this way makes it seem as if this MEGA title is happening when this is the normal of the industry.

i mean....can you even name any big AAA title in which no one from the team has ever worked anywhere else? (ie no AAA game ever)

thelastword

Banned
Do you now see how silly it is to get caught up at getting mad at a developer working from one publisher to another? You know not of what went wrong with that last game or what they plan to do next etc.

Sooooo it has many developers that use to work at EA, but...they worked all over the industry too.

smh The Thing on PS2 is just a horrid game, better not play Witcher 3, clearly its going to also be very bad /s

smh, this person worked at Epic on Gears Of War 1 and Bulletstorm and is the executive producer on Witcher 3, no thanks folks ,I don't want to play this "Witcher 3" probably some bro dude shooter /s

just nasty, this dude worked at EA, Ubisoft AND MS. So you KNOW Witcher 3 must be a bad game when you hear that right? /s

Do you now see just how silly it might be to really say such things? I mean, you still looking to play God Of War knowing it has EA and Activision developers on board? Silly huh?
The thing is, what I see MS is doing is trying to keep their acquisitions and hires in the limelight, in order to keep it's fans and the media engaged that they're serious about making games.............I mean in as much as that is a step in the right direction, it also shows how clueless MS has been and how they have just not focused on the right things all this time......This is not MS's first rodeo, they should be way beyond, "we are now focused on game development and hiring devs", when consoles have always been about providing games as a primary and nothing more.....That should have been their modus operandi from the very first XBOX (and happily they had good exclusive games and variety then), but that all fell sharply off a cliff thereafter, they just subsisted with the Halo, Gears, Forza formula all this time...

The reason why MS always gets itself into a state of border is because they hype and yet they cannot deliver.......Just like MS thought buying all DLC in 360 days was going to do it for them or having the most powerful box would do it for them with XBONEX, they now think buying a tonne of studios, mostly C-rate studios, and getting lots of devs at a high price at The Initiative is now their formula for success, it's not.......Games development is more than hiring people who are chasing money as opposed to those who have passion for a project......Darrel Gallagher is after the money, he's been colluding with MS for years, just waiting for his opportunity and now he has it......Yet what they produce is still out in the open......you cannot know it's quality from now, no one even knows if Initiative will ever deliver a game, just like Jade Raymond's Motive never delivered a game, but had similar hype to the Initiative.....So many things can go wrong, so persons should wait until they have a release date and praise them if they have a good game on shelves....

The other point is, when do we expect a released title from these guys? MS is boosting all it's teams, nothing wrong with that, what about synnergy? Inxile got a boost, how will these people work together, will they gel?......Yet, If you are only hiring now, forseeing so many issues that can go wrong with development, especially with people who have not been working together for any considerable time period; delays and problems are inevitable.......Next Gen consoles should be here in 1 year and 6 months, that time will come quickly............Whilst Sony's SWWS has been hard into next gen development for a while now, MS is only hiring now....So do you expect anything good from the Initiative for launch, certainly not........PD has been working on something for a while now since shipping GTS......Naughty has a second team working on something for a while now, when LOU2 ships, they take a small vacation and they go full monty on the PS5 title...San Diego is working on something, rumor has it that RAD got another contract. Insomniac is obviously working on Spiderman 2........This is all planned and well orchestrated by Sony, giving devs the time for quality as opposed to MS only realizing now that consoles are about games.......At this point, I'm not even sure the Initiative have a proper concept for a game yet, and time is going tick tock.......Yet people are banking their hopes and dreams....

Bryank75

Banned
I understand why the Xbox fans are so excited,

Many people believed engineering to be actual magic before they understood what was going on.
It must be truly astounding for them to have somebody who was once involved with these games they hear so much about "PlayStation exclusives", gaming unicorns... now on their side.

Good Good.....2 of the head writers worked on Lost Planet 3...

let that sink in my friend.

That is something you'll find all over the industry btw. Some titles fail, some don't. The staff move from project to project as MOST of the staff are contracted. So its not weird to have one of the best games ever made, written by a guy who directed one of the worst games ever made.....

I get your point, but I guess that means it also comes down to managers. How a game is managed and produced will ultimately affect the outcome of a game. From what I can tell, The Initiative has good set of managers for the most part. One of the things that makes this news-worthy, however, is the fact that it's a first party to first party swap and it's an exciting one given the previous two titles he's recently worked on. Regardless of what they worked on prior to the AAA games, coming from a studio that's worked on these well received and well made AAA games should technically be exciting as they may have refined their skills during the creation of those games. Everyone has to start somewhere and EA would most likely be a great place for people to start before heading over to new teams and studios.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Until I see otherwise I'm sticking with the notion that this is just an even more disappointing 343 studios

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
"I would expect a new studio to announce" I don't. It happens so often as the assumption would be no one is hiring if you don't get some announcement but clearly we know that isn't true. "I know that upsets many on GAF" Nope, that is something we've been asking of MS for literally the entire generation, that is simply something you are forcing into the narrative to argue. As in...we are saying this because we hate MS or hate that its a AAA game etc. What we are saying is they might be over hyping this hiring of developers as the concept isn't brand new, is not rare and is literally a daily occurrence. MS is announcing this to hype up the teams next game and it could back fire as having a lot of people from other studios doesn't always mean a game will be this masterful success JUST cause they all came from big publishers....MOST OF GAMING COMES FROM BIG PUBLISHERS You literally can look up the majority of AAA titles that have developers from all over the world.

it isn't new and could hurt them if they are setting it up for this unrealistic expectation.

Put it this way, what if I told you MS is hiring developers that worked on the following games in the past

Project Gotham Racing
LittleBigPlanet
Burnout Paradise
Fable
Ninja Gaiden
Rayman
Dead Space
Tomb Raider Reboot
Call Of Duty

What does any of that actually tell you about the game? Even remotely? Do you not fully understand that this is basically a normal thing that happens with all publishers and they don't spend all this time telling folks this every week or? So nothing wrong with MS hiring , simply that this isn't really news, this is basically a thing all publishers do and to frame it this way makes it seem as if this MEGA title is happening when this is the normal of the industry.

i mean....can you even name any big AAA title in which no one from the team has ever worked anywhere else? (ie no AAA game ever)

So MS is responsible for this thread? Do you have any evidence that MS directed OP to start this thread? If so enlighten us. Otherwise...

Elenchus

Banned
The thing is, what I see MS is doing is trying to keep their acquisitions and hires in the limelight, in order to keep it's fans and the media engaged that they're serious about making games.............I mean in as much as that is a step in the right direction, it also shows how clueless MS has been and how they have just not focused on the right things all this time......This is not MS's first rodeo, they should be way beyond, "we are now focused on game development and hiring devs", when consoles have always been about providing games as a primary and nothing more.....That should have been their modus operandi from the very first XBOX (and happily they had good exclusive games and variety then), but that all fell sharply off a cliff thereafter, they just subsisted with the Halo, Gears, Forza formula all this time...

The reason why MS always gets itself into a state of border is because they hype and yet they cannot deliver.......Just like MS thought buying all DLC in 360 days was going to do it for them or having the most powerful box would do it for them with XBONEX, they now think buying a tonne of studios, mostly C-rate studios, and getting lots of devs at a high price at The Initiative is now their formula for success, it's not.......Games development is more than hiring people who are chasing money as opposed to those who have passion for a project......Darrel Gallagher is after the money, he's been colluding with MS for years, just waiting for his opportunity and now he has it......Yet what they produce is still out in the open......you cannot know it's quality from now, no one even knows if Initiative will ever deliver a game, just like Jade Raymond's Motive never delivered a game, but had similar hype to the Initiative.....So many things can go wrong, so persons should wait until they have a release date and praise them if they have a good game on shelves....

The other point is, when do we expect a released title from these guys? MS is boosting all it's teams, nothing wrong with that, what about synnergy? Inxile got a boost, how will these people work together, will they gel?......Yet, If you are only hiring now, forseeing so many issues that can go wrong with development, especially with people who have not been working together for any considerable time period; delays and problems are inevitable.......Next Gen consoles should be here in 1 year and 6 months, that time will come quickly............Whilst Sony's SWWS has been hard into next gen development for a while now, MS is only hiring now....So do you expect anything good from the Initiative for launch, certainly not........PD has been working on something for a while now since shipping GTS......Naughty has a second team working on something for a while now, when LOU2 ships, they take a small vacation and they go full monty on the PS5 title...San Diego is working on something, rumor has it that RAD got another contract. Insomniac is obviously working on Spiderman 2........This is all planned and well orchestrated by Sony, giving devs the time for quality as opposed to MS only realizing now that consoles are about games.......At this point, I'm not even sure the Initiative have a proper concept for a game yet, and time is going tick tock.......Yet people are banking their hopes and dreams....

So your objective is what exactly? To make sure people are appropriately unhappy or fearful as opposed to excited? This is what you devote your time to? Lol. Why do you care one way or the other if your only interest is Sony? You write pages and pages and I honestly do not know if you’re doing that because you actually think anyone here is reading all of that or is it just some kind of catharsis you require to release your anger? Because you’re not actually debating anyone.

Elenchus

Banned
And where exactly do you work that you have to announce every person that you hire?

We don’t announce every new employee. We wouldn’t announce a new secretary or staff member but significant new hires get announced. Either way, how do these tweets stop you from playing Days Gone? Did you platinum that game yet? Because if you haven’t probably shouldn’t be here right?

EDMIX

I get your point, but I guess that means it also comes down to managers. How a game is managed and produced will ultimately affect the outcome of a game. From what I can tell, The Initiative has good set of managers for the most part. One of the things that makes this news-worthy, however, is the fact that it's a first party to first party swap and it's an exciting one given the previous two titles he's recently worked on. Regardless of what they worked on prior to the AAA games, coming from a studio that's worked on these well received and well made AAA games should technically be exciting as they may have refined their skills during the creation of those games. Everyone has to start somewhere and EA would most likely be a great place for people to start before heading over to new teams and studios.

"coming from a studio that's worked on these well received and well made AAA games should technically be exciting" Ok ...lets give you an example please.

"Put it this way, what if I told you MS is hiring developers that worked on the following games in the past

Project Gotham Racing
LittleBigPlanet
Burnout Paradise
Fable
Ninja Gaiden
Rayman
Dead Space
Tomb Raider Reboot
Call Of Duty "

The game I was talking about was Crackdown 3.... so the folks that worked on Crackdown 3, the staff has worked on all those projects.

"Everyone has to start somewhere and EA would most likely be a great place for people to start before heading over to new teams and studios" I don't disagree with you, but maybe thats what you could have said instead of "You’ve played EA games, right? There is a reason why nobody cares about this" .

What you see from this is normal in the industry. There is no game that is some AAA title that has all staff that have come from no where. It has never happened. "One of the things that makes this news-worthy, however, is the fact that it's a first party to first party swap" No, not even remotely.

So no...its not a "swap" as its not like Sony is going to MS or MS is going to Sony etc. The developer is simply going from one studio to the next ie a normal practice that happens every day in the industry. You didn't get Sony making some article to tell you that someone from MS was coming to Sony when God Of War was being made bud, its just irrelevant. Its just not something most companies tell you about and rarely happens. I only heard it from Sony from when those 3 members of CDPR where hired for Horizon and even they worked at many other studios before Witcher. So....its not unsual to see a developer work from MS to Sony or Sony to MS or EA to Ubisoft or Activision to EA or any number of chose combinations. I mean damn dude I didn't even need to go far with that link to even show you that, I just looked at 1 game I already linked to you and it was right there in the credits. So much for "news-worthy". You'd be getting that like every day if other publishers kept telling you who was fired ,hired etc.

EDMIX

"The thing is, what I see MS is doing is trying to keep their acquisitions and hires in the limelight, in order to keep it's fans and the media engaged that they're serious about making games" Agreed. Keep in mind, nothing is wrong with them wanting to make those hires known, but if the continue it, it could lead to over hyping the project and setting it up to be something it just can't beat. They need to allow that team to create and then see if what is being made is worth that type of marketing. Its ok to have a AA title or B tier etc. I love those a lot, but I also respect when the publisher also understands its game isn't a AAA must move 10 million units to survive type of title. Thats ok too. MS needs to take the foot of the gas on those post and let it come when it comes. Folks may have not had an issue with Crackdown 3 if MS didn't keep making it sound as if it was this revolutionary earth shattering AAA title, InFamous isn't one either, but Sony isn't pretending it is. They need that balance and I fear this much pressure can lead to a false expectation of the team. If they make a AA title, thats good too, but they should be doing this level of hype for it if its not seeking to be this AAA mega ton title. The hiring of developers isn't brand new to gaming and doesn't really give much indication if something will actually be good. So they'd need to at the very least relax on the hype post.

"This is not MS's first rodeo, they should be way beyond, "we are now focused on game development and hiring devs", when consoles have always been about providing games as a primary and nothing more.....That should have been their modus operandi from the very first XBOX" 10000% Agreed.

MS needs to hype this up as this is something they don't often do in regards to buying those studios, Sony might not make such announcements so often as that isn't a new path for them.

That is the norm of how they've operated in terms of a large number of new IP. So this is a game where MS will be playing catch up at least for a few years as Sony already has years ahead of them in terms of games down the pipeline where MS is just getting a lot of that stuff done now.

demigod

We don’t announce every new employee. We wouldn’t announce a new secretary or staff member but significant new hires get announced. Either way, how do these tweets stop you from playing Days Gone? Did you platinum that game yet? Because if you haven’t probably shouldn’t be here right?

You still didn’t answer my question, reading comprehension fails you again. What does Days Gone have anything to do with this?

"coming from a studio that's worked on these well received and well made AAA games should technically be exciting" Ok ...lets give you an example please.

"Put it this way, what if I told you MS is hiring developers that worked on the following games in the past

Project Gotham Racing
LittleBigPlanet
Burnout Paradise
Fable
Ninja Gaiden
Rayman
Dead Space
Tomb Raider Reboot
Call Of Duty "

The game I was talking about was Crackdown 3.... so the folks that worked on Crackdown 3, the staff has worked on all those projects.

"Everyone has to start somewhere and EA would most likely be a great place for people to start before heading over to new teams and studios" I don't disagree with you, but maybe thats what you could have said instead of "You’ve played EA games, right? There is a reason why nobody cares about this" .

What you see from this is normal in the industry. There is no game that is some AAA title that has all staff that have come from no where. It has never happened. "One of the things that makes this news-worthy, however, is the fact that it's a first party to first party swap" No, not even remotely.

So no...its not a "swap" as its not like Sony is going to MS or MS is going to Sony etc. The developer is simply going from one studio to the next ie a normal practice that happens every day in the industry. You didn't get Sony making some article to tell you that someone from MS was coming to Sony when God Of War was being made bud, its just irrelevant. Its just not something most companies tell you about and rarely happens. I only heard it from Sony from when those 3 members of CDPR where hired for Horizon and even they worked at many other studios before Witcher. So....its not unsual to see a developer work from MS to Sony or Sony to MS or EA to Ubisoft or Activision to EA or any number of chose combinations. I mean damn dude I didn't even need to go far with that link to even show you that, I just looked at 1 game I already linked to you and it was right there in the credits. So much for "news-worthy". You'd be getting that like every day if other publishers kept telling you who was fired ,hired etc.
What if I told you to chill the fuck out and let people be excited? Fuckin’ Debbie downer over here.

thelastword

Banned
You still didn’t answer my question, reading comprehension fails you again. What does Days Gone have anything to do with this?
So now it's about Days Gone? Pffft! You realize that earlier in the thread it was about Corrine Yu? Yet, you realize no one is talking about Robert Ryan?

This thread is about hyping a "Naughty Dog former employee, going to an MS studio", little or no mention that he worked at EA Motive.......No one is talking about him beyond linking him to Naughty Dog.......So the question is, does the Initiative expect a AAA Goty game just based on that alone?

Many devs from RARE, 343i and other MS studios have worked all over the industry, people shift all the time. There is no reason to hype every person leaving a studio to go to another.........If the reason is to say that he worked at Naughty so he got the mojo and so the game will be great, then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.....I can guarantee you that there are former naughty dog employees who worked on some of the MS's software efforts this gen........It's not about individuals, it's about the team.....

EDMIX

What if I told you to chill the fuck out and let people be excited? Fuckin’ Debbie downer over here.

Who says you can't? The post is simply showing you that majority of what you stated was incorrect, not that you shouldn't or couldn't be excited. Simply that the thing you are claiming is "news worthy" actually occurs on a regular basis and is in no way shape of form "new", uncommon, rare etc. The links show its not. Can you be excited by it? I don't see why not and no where am I stating you can't be. You simply sound upset that you likely can't really answer for all those links showing just how normal this actually is in the industry. When you stated "Everyone has to start somewhere and EA would most likely be a great place for people to start before heading over to new teams and studios" that should have probably been what you stated from the start instead of this whole "You’ve played EA games, right? There is a reason why nobody cares about this."

Those links very much show you that people who worked with EA have worked with Sony, MS, Ubisoft, Nintendo and vice versa. By that logic, all games are bad as the majority of AAA titles can have literally anyone that worked at EA, working on them. This simply tells me maybe you didn't know that and maybe your not really aware of how developers actually get hired. As to why you thought someone going from Sony to MS or MS to Sony etc was this "news worthy" concept.

Its not.

Nothing to do with you being excited or not (as much as you seem to be trying to go OT to avoid the topic) heck I'll probably buy the game they make if it looks good sooooo you can put to rest this off topic theory to avoid the discussion, my point is simply as much as I want to buy what they make, this actual thing isn't really new, rare and is normal in gaming. Nothing I've read thus far is this brand new situation. This actually is how most games are done.

Like I said "can you even name any big AAA title in which no one from the team has ever worked anywhere else?" The question you seem to be avoiding like the plague. If this is so rare, you should have a monster list to show how unique this situation actually is if it is as you claim "news worthy".

EDMIX

Just saw this:
734i0v.png

I wish the talent leaving nd was duckman, unlikely but one can dream.

Depends on what someone finds entertaining. Fun is a more causal term and that fits Nintendo games, I wouldn't really describe the term "fun" for something like lets say American History X. The Last Of Us has a lot of adult elements in it that the term fun may not fit, but that doesn't mean the game isn't entertaining, heck its one of the greatest games of all time (in my opinion). I have no issues with someone having politics or those views in a game. if we get triggered by that, how is the medium to evolve? Could you imagine someone getting mad cause American History X has politics, race, rape etc in it?

If someone doesn't want to watch a film like that, they can always feel free to watch the Nintendo version of films, Disney, Pixar etc. No need to make it seem as if its some either or. Both concepts can co-exist as they do in film and other mediums. That works for Nintendo, a family friendly company, a studio looking to make an adult survival horror won't feel this need to hold back to spare feelings. After all, that is how the real world is. Unapologetic, graphic and raw.

SonGoku

As long as there is gameplay in games fun is a factor. Gameplay is still fun irrespective of any cinematic story background, I woulnt play tlou or any game for that matter if gameplay wasnt fun.
Duckman is just making an ass out of himself with his faux virtue signalling.

Last edited:

EDMIX

As long as there is gameplay in games fun is a factor. Gameplay is still fun irrespective of any cinematic story background, I woulnt play tlou or any game for that matter if gameplay wasnt fun.
Duckman is just making an ass out of himself with his faux virtue signalling.

Not really bud, thats simply how you see the term. You are very much allowed to play a game based on what you view as "fun" btw. For me, I play many games that I wouldn't exactly call what I'm doing as "fun" in terms of the experience. I might play to compete or for horror or survival elements or for an engaging story etc, but yes, some times I do play for fun like Mario and other family friendly games. Fun is just too broad of a causal term tbh. When I watch something like Strawdogs or Cape Fear I'm not telling you I had "fun" lol. That just makes no sense. I might tell you I enjoyed it and it was suspenseful etc, but fun never comes to mind with some adult concepts man.

Sounds like something someone says when they are done watching the newest Disney film or something. Nothing wrong with that, but seems strange to describe both those extreme opposite concepts as the same thing. I see nothing playful or joyful about murder, rape and humanity at the brink of destruction. So someone can play games for fun to be engaged, compete, horrified, immersed etc I see no reason to put all computer entertaining under the umbrella of "fun" as that isn't really what we do with other mediums like books, films, shows etc. I've never heard someone say "Did you have fun with The Last House On The Left" lol

They might have family friendly wholesome fun with Toy Story or something. Duckman is paving the way for future game developers to see that gaming can very much match the medium of film, regardless of how you feel about their politics. They could have the complete opposite view as my own and I'd still respect what they are pushing with the medium right now. I see no reason to get worked up or emotional cause the person put their political views in a game, we have that with books, we have that with film, we have that with shows, gaming doesn't need to be put in a "safe space" bud. Don't like it, move on and don't buy it, but don't argue for censorship if something suddenly is against what you believe. I see no benefit for gaming to be left to this idea that it can only be family friendly and "fun" cause folks are scared someone has a different world view then them. I'd rather his game have "faux virtue signalling" if it means we can actually have more adult games bud.

I'm sure many hated that RAPE existed in Cape Fear and wanted some wholesome G rated material or something, you just like them are free to watch or play something else, but be glad someone is pushing this medium right now. Even if its views you don't agree with, maybe they are paving the way for someone to make a game that pushes views YOU agree with in the future.

SonGoku

EDMIX EDMIX
uh? are we arguing semantics now? just checking cause i think we are on the same page.
Killing zombies is fun, melee, shooting, making weapons scavanging etc Just because you play in a post apocalyptic setting doesnt mean its not fun
War is not fun by any any metric yet we have tons of fun shooting people in cod and battlefield, hell throw even post apocalyptic war wolfeinstein is tons of fun.

I agree gaming storytelling can match movies... but that doesnt take away the fun from the gameplay, if it did the game woulnt sell lol.
Also i would hate if ND only made moody storyline games because of duckmans influence. TLOU1 is god tier imo but i want more from nd than tlou type games.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm with Druckman there.

Books are not 'fun', but you can have an amazing time with a great one.

Videogames are a medium of expression, not something that have to be just fun.
Just fun is a limited vision.

Elenchus

Banned
Not really bud, thats simply how you see the term. You are very much allowed to play a game based on what you view as "fun" btw. For me, I play many games that I wouldn't exactly call what I'm doing as "fun" in terms of the experience. I might play to compete or for horror or survival elements or for an engaging story etc, but yes, some times I do play for fun like Mario and other family friendly games. Fun is just too broad of a causal term tbh. When I watch something like Strawdogs or Cape Fear I'm not telling you I had "fun" lol. That just makes no sense. I might tell you I enjoyed it and it was suspenseful etc, but fun never comes to mind with some adult concepts man.

Sounds like something someone says when they are done watching the newest Disney film or something. Nothing wrong with that, but seems strange to describe both those extreme opposite concepts as the same thing. I see nothing playful or joyful about murder, rape and humanity at the brink of destruction. So someone can play games for fun to be engaged, compete, horrified, immersed etc I see no reason to put all computer entertaining under the umbrella of "fun" as that isn't really what we do with other mediums like books, films, shows etc. I've never heard someone say "Did you have fun with The Last House On The Left" lol

They might have family friendly wholesome fun with Toy Story or something. Duckman is paving the way for future game developers to see that gaming can very much match the medium of film, regardless of how you feel about their politics. They could have the complete opposite view as my own and I'd still respect what they are pushing with the medium right now. I see no reason to get worked up or emotional cause the person put their political views in a game, we have that with books, we have that with film, we have that with shows, gaming doesn't need to be put in a "safe space" bud. Don't like it, move on and don't buy it, but don't argue for censorship if something suddenly is against what you believe. I see no benefit for gaming to be left to this idea that it can only be family friendly and "fun" cause folks are scared someone has a different world view then them. I'd rather his game have "faux virtue signalling" if it means we can actually have more adult games bud.

I'm sure many hated that RAPE existed in Cape Fear and wanted some wholesome G rated material or something, you just like them are free to watch or play something else, but be glad someone is pushing this medium right now. Even if its views you don't agree with, maybe they are paving the way for someone to make a game that pushes views YOU agree with in the future.

You and the Lastword really need to reconsider the length of your posts and that’s notwithstanding whatever argument you are attempting to make. Not sure if you both are just in love with the sound of your own voices but the average length is unreasonable and I doubt many are reading them. It’s a conversation not a sermon.

thelastword

Banned
Just saw this:
734i0v.png

I wish the talent leaving nd was duckman, unlikely but one can dream.
He's talking about the story......Watch Ellie's Face, this is not a fun ride, it's a survival ride.........In context with the real situation and story Ellie is in, I don't imagine killing to survive or always being on the cusp of being ousted yourself constitues a fun ride.....LOU is not Crazy Taxi, the story and ride is dangerous, dark and one of tension........The story is not about fun and rainbows, but surely the gameplay will be entertaining.......I'm sure lots of persons would ideally want to survive such an ordeal, that right there is the pull to play.......

SonGoku

I'm with Druckman there.

Books are not 'fun', but you can have an amazing time with a great one.

Videogames are a medium of expression, not something that have to be just fun.
Just fun is a limited vision.
Gameplay is not fun now? comon now the gameplay part of game has to be fun or else it wont sell
TLOU gameplay was fun btw

Top Bottom