• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1
Thursday's FIA press conference will include ROS, HAM, VES, VET, MAS and RIC - plus special guest Charlie Whiting
The FIA says Charlie W will be there to talk about the Mexican GP (ie the penalties etc)

Oh boy..

andshrew

There are people here who still believe he let him pass.

It's amazing that anyone could seriously have believed that.

Glock only gained track position on Hamilton and Vettel because he gambled by staying out on dry tyres while everyone else pitted for wets. It almost paid off for him but there was just too much rain by the final lap.

Someone posted the new F5000 cars a while back, might have been in OT1, so here's an onboard at Phillip Island. That sound!

pEeBqVB.jpg

Here

By my reckoning he did a 1:25 with some traffic and that puts it within a second of the outright lap record. 2-3 seconds faster than GT, 4-5 faster than MotoGP and a good 7 seconds faster the V8s. A bit a work and it should easily burn the record.

Wehrlein can't be very happy to be stuck at Manor for another year.

Will he even be at Manor next season? That Bild piece says Nasr, King, Gutierrez and him are all in contention, but he's the poor one of the bunch.

Force India and Mercedes don't think much of him or he would have moved there instead of Ocon. I think he could be done.

DD

Someone posted the new F5000 cars a while back, might have been in OT1, so here's an onboard at Phillip Island. That sound!

pEeBqVB.jpg

Here

By my reckoning he did a 1:25 with some traffic and that puts it within a second of the outright lap record. 2-3 seconds faster than GT, 4-5 faster than MotoGP and a good 7 seconds faster the V8s. A bit a work and it should easily burn the record.

Man, they should redesign that high top. It's killing the looks of the car. Looks like those crappy 70s F1 designs. :p

pls don't kill me

Zeknurn

pEeBqVB.jpg

Here

I love it. Bring in 22 of these for a Saturday race with the F1 drivers and lets see what happens.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Force India is looking at a strong driver line-up for next year. Hopefully the car will be at least as good as this year's one.

Zaru

Force India is looking at a strong driver line-up for next year. Hopefully the car will be at least as good as this year's one.

Gonna be hard. They have a midfield budget. Merc, Red Bull and Ferrari will likely stay above them. McLaren should pass them over the winter. Who knows where Renault ends up with proper car development that they didn't have for 2016. Williams ain't no slouch either as far as best of the rest positions go.

pEeBqVB.jpg

Here

Return of the Smurf hat cars?

Chris R

pEeBqVB.jpg

Here

Very little aero? Almost pure mechanical grip?

HOW DO I STREAM THIS?

DD

Massa confirmed that he's in talks with teams at Formula E, WEC and DTM but hasn't decided on anything yet.

I think he could be a good name for Mercedes when they join F-E in 2018.

DBT85

CHarlie explaining penalties
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127031/fia-explains-why-hamilton-avoided-penalty

"The principal difference between two was simply in Lewis's case it was felt he didn't gain any lasting advantage, and in Max's case, he did," said Whiting.

"You can see Lewis makes a small mistake at the beginning, cuts across, gains significant track advantage but then sets about giving that back, immediately

"We can see on the straight between Turns 3 and 4 he backs off to 80% throttle to give that advantage back.

"Then, about a minute later, the safety car is deployed and that advantage is gone completely.

"So the stewards felt there was no lasting advantage.

"If Max had done the same thing on the straight between Turns 3 and 4 he would certainly have lost a place, which is why the stewards felt that deserved a penalty, because the driver had gained a lasting advantage.

"That's the fundamental difference between the two incidents in the eyes of the stewards."

Verstappen still felt the rulings had been inconsistent.

"Of course I don't agree with the decision but it doesn't really make a lot of difference does it? I got a penalty," he said.

"If you give penalties, give to both or don't give any penalties."

The Red Bull driver argued that there should be a standard penalty for exceeding track limits rather than cases being judged individually.

"What we maybe need to change for the future is that, once you go off it should be a penalty on its own," suggested Verstappen.

"The stewards shouldn't interfere and decide whether it's a penalty.

"Once you go off that should be a penalty on its own."

But Hamilton disagreed, arguing: "The stewards have a very, very difficult job because every single scenario is different.

"It's not easy to apply the same rule to every single thing.

"I also agree with Max that we should work with Charlie, as we have been through the year, to try to make it easier for them to make decisions and for it to be more clear."

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Any source?

I mean considering his position the opposite would be surprising in fact.

Several german news sites reported that and Autosport did an article on it

What an awful news! Hopefully our future world champion can find a seat at Sauber or Manor. It would be a huge loss if such a talent isn't on the grid in 2017.

He said that Manor is the 'last option' for him. He should change that to 'only', because Sauber will probably keep both drivers for 2017

For an arrogant egotistical arsehole it's got to sting when the boss at Mercedes said Force India chose on pure talent alone.

I want Gut and Nasr to Manor for maximum sodium levels.

Aiii

So not worth it
Comparisons to GP World or GPM2?

I've only played a few races, but so far I'm liking what I see. It's not as simple as the mobile game (where doing a one stopper guaranteed a race win every time), and it seems a lot of effort went into making sure the races are exciting. For instance, I was first in a race once, when it started raining and I decided to switch to Intermediates early, which was a mistake as the rain was too mild, and I ended up finishing fifth. There was really only one lap where the rain was hard enough to give me an advantage. The driver angrily asked me who the idiot that chose the tires was. My bad.

Races are fun, there's a practice session where you can fiddle around with the tires, wings, gears and brakes and then get driver feedback to adjust them further. They also give you buffs based on what you do (if you focus on Race Trim, you get a race performance modifier. If you use Mediums, the driver performs better on Mediums, etc.). Qualifying (at least in medium format) is a single session, and once again gives you feedback so you can switch the set-up if needed.

Races themselves give you a bunch of options, you can turn up the engine modes and tell the driver to be harder or easier on the tires to gain an advantage. It works out pretty well, I had one of my drivers go mild during the first stint which allowed me to get 2 extra laps out of the Supersoft tires, during which I had him push hard and it moved her up from 4th to 2nd after her stop. So that was satisfying. If you let the driver push too much though, the car gets very unreliable.

The only thing I'm not to sure about yet is the way development is handled. Basically you develop parts by focussing on certain elements, you can have "risky" development, which might give you a penalty after the race during scrutineering, but they have you building a part, which you can then fit on just one of your cars. You just get a big list of all the parts you've build and assign them to one of your cars.

All in all, it seems to be a worthy successor to GPM2, though. If you enjoyed that, you'll enjoy this.

Zeknurn

If it's possible to rename the drivers in Motorsport Manager, someone should make a grid out of f1gaf and see who wins the championship.

NOKYARD

My only problem with this is the driver should be notified by the stewards right away to give the place back so he can attempt a clean pass on the next lap. Not have everyone play guessing games while trying to drive, frustrate the passed, then force a podium shuffle.

This may be a bit controversial but i also believe the third driver, in this case Riccardo, should not be allowed to take advantage by following the second car through when he takes his place back when directed by the stewards. I believe the gravel encrusted drivers will be more hesitant to give the spot up, and possibly make extremely dangerous maneuvers, in order to keep the third driver from also going through.

Aiii

So not worth it
Verstappen is right, the penalty should be going off track. I think he meant there should be a distinct disadvantage for doing so and not some stewards penalty. All these circumstances and inconsistencies stop right there, get rid of asphalt, put up a wall, add those bumps they sometimes do, add a gravel trap where needed, whatever they need to do.

I fully disagree with Charlie that Lewis shouldn't be penalized because he didn't "have a distinct advantage" since it was "nullified through the VSC and SC afterwards", that shouldn't matter at all. He gained an advantage at that moment, the fact that something happened afterwards that closed the gap shouldn't make any difference in awarding a penalty. At that moment he had an advantage, namely gaining seconds on Rosberg. Who knows if he had been able to overtake at the end of the next straight if Lewis didn't have this advantage? You either make a flat-out rule "you can't cut this corner" or add some way that cutting is either impossible or just complete shit for your race, but you can't say "well, this is different then that." based on emotions or completely unrelated events happening afterwards.

Massa confirmed that he's in talks with teams at Formula E, WEC and DTM but hasn't decided on anything yet.

I think he could be a good name for Mercedes when they join F-E in 2018.

I'm sure Mercedes could do an awful lot better than a washed-up F1 driver who's achieved bugger all in years.

The FE grid is very competitive. They'll no doubt place some of their young drivers in those seats.

Top Bottom