• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risgroo

This is my year
TJGbJ9S.png

Kalor

I completely forgot that practice would be on later. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I signed up for the league as well.

KdotIX

Just threw in my predictions. I don't think anything will change. Mercedes will take out every grain of sand and show us 80% of the potential of that engine. Vettel to come second on a count of being in a better car than last year and his experience. Bottas to round out the podium positions. I don't think RBR have the minerals at the moment to mount a challenge to Ferrari or Mercedes.
Wildcard prediction: Williams to be faster than RBR.

kiyomi

Watching the 2014 Australian GP at the moment, first race of the hybrid era. People complain about the sounds of the engines but they sound really great from 3 years ago, plus you can hear tyres being locked up and the crowd. But I don't remember this being the case last year. You can still hear lock ups from time to time, but nowhere near as much as from 2014.

Did they make some effort to make the cars louder over the past couple years that I didn't realise that drowns out those things? Or did FOM try to cover up the "bad" sound of the hybrids and accidentally get rid of the rest with different sound mixing/mic placement?

Mastah

Ferrari will be the quickest car, at least in the first part of the season, but #blessed will make a difference and take a lot of pole positions, wins and finally title. Repeat of 2008.

Theorry

Watching the 2014 Australian GP at the moment, first race of the hybrid era. People complain about the sounds of the engines but they sound really great from 3 years ago, plus you can hear tyres being locked up and the crowd. But I don't remember this being the case last year. You can still hear lock ups from time to time, but nowhere near as much as from 2014.

Did they make some effort to make the cars louder over the past couple years that I didn't realise that drowns out those things? Or did FOM try to cover up the "bad" sound of the hybrids and accidentally get rid of the rest with different sound mixing/mic placement?

They messed up the mics that race. Thats why you hear also the crowd in qualy when RIC goes P1.

Zaru

Hamilton says Ferrari are the title favorites this year.

After putting it into my heuristic Mercedesspeak->English neural network (trained with 500 hours of Toto Wolff talking), that means Ferrari are close.

Aiii

So not worth it

After putting it into my heuristic Mercedesspeak->English neural network (trained with 500 hours of Toto Wolff talking), that means Ferrari are close.

It actually means they are not close at all, your machine needs some extra hours of learning, it seems.

Indeed. But I don't know. This time it sounds a bit more honest.

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel said reigning champions Mercedes started the weekend at Melbourne's Albert Park as "favourites".

But Hamilton believes Ferrari were deliberately talking their chances down before Sunday's race.

"I think Ferrari have something up their sleeve," he said. "I think they are going to be a lot closer than they talk about. I think they are going to surprise. They are arriving on a low but will deliver high."

Ferrari set the pace on five of the eight days of pre-season testing in Spain in the run-up to this race but Vettel said he believed they were still not yet at the level of Mercedes.

Asked if Ferrari had enough performance to trouble Mercedes, Vettel said: "I think we have. The question is: "Are we ready in time? I think we did a good step over the winter. Mercedes are the favourites but the target is to turn things around and be the favourite in the future."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35829029

Lima

I think I'm going to get up at 06:00 just to watch FP2. I'm dumb.

I'm currently in Miami and will use Sky Go with a VPN on my iPad to watch it. The time zone works to my advantage. 9pm for FP1 and 1am for FP2. Works for me. Too bad I won't catch qualifying or the race live as I'll be busy partying at Ultra.

TCRS

Banned
haha I think season 3 is good. but it should be every second sunday no?

oh well at least OT2 will be 'Honda and shame ..'

and then |OT3| It's happening isn't it

:D

DBT85

Happy I can see the Practise since I'm at work tonight. Doubt I'll be getting up early for the race, but I miiiight.

haha I think season 3 is good. but it should be every second sunday no?

Naa, you end up just having a reaaally long title.

F1 2017 - Japanese Horror Story Season 3 |OT| Every Second Sunday on Sky except for the weeks where its every Sunday or every other other Sunday or in the summer where the're a break.

DBT85

Merc and RBT were asked to change their suspension.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128594/mercedesred-bull-had-to-alter-suspension

Formula 1's suspension row is unlikely to escalate to a protest at the Australian Grand Prix, after Red Bull and Mercedes were asked to change elements of their 2017 designs.

The controversy over suspension systems blew up over the winter when Ferrari sought clarification from the FIA on the legality of concepts that were pre-loaded to cleverly help a car's aerodynamic performance.

While Ferrari's original letter was based around a theoretical idea it wanted to pursue, it was widely understood that its real motivation was to challenge clever designs that Mercedes and Red Bull had been running.

Following a final clarification from the FIA ahead of testing last month that made it clear suspension systems should not be designed to deliberately help aerodynamic performance, the governing body inspected the designs of all the teams during the pre-season running in Spain.

The FIA was clear that teams had to prove that their clever suspension systems were not designed to help the car's aerodynamics, and concepts that Mercedes and Red Bull had wanted to run did not fully comply and had to be changed.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting said in a media briefing on Thursday at the Australian Grand Prix: "You are not allowed to have a suspension system that affects the aero performance of the car in anything other than an incidental way.

"We wanted to see whether the suspension is generally suspension or if it is there predominantly for the aerodynamic performance of the car.

"That is the change. We have been focusing far more on that this year.

"If a suspension system behaves asymmetrically, then there is not a very justifiable reason for behaving like that - if a suspension system goes down at one speed and comes back at a different speed.

"If they are not able to convince us then they are not able to use it."

It is unclear how much of an impact the suspension decision will have on Red Bull and Mercedes, but it is known that Mercedes did not run its trick system at every race last year so it was not essential to its performance.

With Red Bull and Mercedes having been asked to make changes ahead of the weekend, Whiting said on Thursday he was hopeful the matter had been sorted.

"Marcin [Budkowski] and Jo [Bauer] did a lot of work in Barcelona going through all the systems, and the ones we have inspected so far [in Australia] have been as we expected them to be," he said. "We don't anticipate any problems."

It is understood that every team had their suspension checked on Thursday, with all 10 complying ahead of free practice starting on Friday.

Whiting also said that checks of engine systems would take place over the Australian Grand Prix, following an issue regarding oil burn.

Red Bull had asked for a clarification on the matter amid its suspicions that Mercedes had been using the tactic in qualifying for a power boost - something the German car manufacturer strongly denied.

Whiting said: "We are certainly monitoring it. We did quite a lot of work on it in Barcelona.

"We are going to inspect all the oil systems here and we are going to randomly check oil consumption to make sure that it is not being used as fuel."

Spladam

You know, I find most driver interviews to be horribly boring, like they go out of their way to NOT say anything interesting, and stick to the most generic statements they can think of.

hadareud

The Translator
You know, I find most driver interviews to be horribly boring, like they go out of their way to NOT say anything interesting, and stick to the most generic statements they can think of.

Like almost everyone involved in professional sport.

Being media trained means saying nothing that could be considered even remotely interesting in most cases.

Have you listened to the questions?

"Hey Aussie driver. Would you mind more races in your home country?"

"Hey, former WDC. Do you think you can win again, despite literally not knowing how well the car is going to perform in the race? ... We'll see? Okay, got that. Next question. But seriously, do you think you can win the championship this year?"

Like, asking how their vacation was would've been more interesting than the usual "how much do you want to win?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom