• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

JDB

Banned
Yeah, I don't know what's up with Kvyat this season. He's been absolutely horrid compared to Sainz.

BigAl1992

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Kvyat this season. He's been absolutely horrid compared to Sainz.

Probably never recovered after being demoted to Toro Rosso from Red Bull and watched Max turn it up a notch in what was his car. I wouldn't be surprised if he left after next year or even this year, as why would you want to stick around if you're not going to go any higher up the grid? He's not exactly Kimi at Ferrari.

Just to call attention to it, the season finale of the Indycar Series is starting in about 5 mins. 5-way (realistically more like 3 or 4 way) fight for the title between Newgarden, Dixon, Castroneves, Pagenaud and Power, it's exciting stuff.

I was kinda rooting for Ferrari after these last couple years of Merc domination, but those tweets sure cured me of that.

Yeah, it's real fucking hard to like them as a team.

I'm still a fan of Vettel and Raikkonen, but good god... what a bunch of wankers the team as a whole can be.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
If anyone is still up for some racing, the IndyCar season finale at Sonoma Raceway just started. Josef Newgarden leads Scott Dixon in the championship by 4 points.

Par Score

Oh Toto, you scamp:

Q: Lewis has a lead of 28 points over Vettel now. Will Mercedes start putting their focus and efforts behind Lewis now?

TW: I think it is pretty obvious that his chances of winning the driver championship are higher than Valtteri's - so like we have done in the past we will look at this at every single race and assess. But the decision becomes obvious.

Q: From when?

TW: I would not want to say that he is the number one because we don't want to screw-up the mind of our second driver – ah, other driver! Because if he is up at the front and leading the race this is not how I want to call it.
Q: Are you flying back to Europe in between this race and Malaysia in two weeks?

TW: Ha, we are taking off in one hour with Niki – the three of us: Niki, Lewis and myself – and there will be drinks! Hard liquor! It's Niki's plane so we can do some damage to the carpets! (Laughs)

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Combine that:
111iol6s.jpg

with RBR's colors and we should get a pretty nice livery :)

British Racing Green + Red Bull?
7f11f6f7de43fb15d25a86992a288856.jpg

And why is Northwest Airlines a sponsor in that concept livery? They ceased to exist almost 10 years ago.

So in a post-race interview Christian Horner said that Ricciardo had gearbox issues (loss of oil pressure?) and was nursing the car in the race. I didn't see the podium interviews, but Daniel made no mention of any problems in the paddock post-race interview that I saw. Was Horner fibbing?

So in a post-race interview Christian Horner said that Ricciardo had gearbox issues (loss of oil pressure?) and was nursing the car in the race. I didn't see the podium interviews, but Daniel made no mention of any problems in the paddock post-race interview that I saw. Was Horner fibbing?

During one of the safety car periods Horner mentioned they were managing an issue, he didn't say what it was.

hamchan

Probably true because I don't really see a reason for Horner to protect Daniel at the expense of the car if it wasn't true.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I mean Danny Ric still got a podium. Obviously, would be a different tale if the crash at the start hadn't happened.

dubc35

I just watched 30 mins of the US broadcast of the race, and holy shit it's so goddamned dull. I don't know how anyone can tolerate it.
It is terrible. I had hopes they would let everyone go when they switched to NBC from Speed. Certainly Liberty knows they're shit and will force change...hopefully.

Chris R

It is terrible. I had hopes they would let everyone go when they switched to NBC from Speed. Certainly Liberty knows they're shit and will force change...hopefully.

It isn't thaaaaaaat bad. Granted, the best studio person on the team at the moment, Leigh Diffey was in Sonoma this week for Indycar action.

Plus Will Buxton is probably the best reporter on the grid at the moment :p

Ya, commercials suck, but if they have to show them to get me every race live on TV so be it. If change does happen it would just be the commentators and not the format.

Fox Mulder

Combine that:
111iol6s.jpg

I wonder if Redbull is eyeing the 2021 rules as a way out. The new rules will be intended to attract new manufacturers, who would likely choose to buy an existing team instead of start fresh.

They'll be denied the top three engines in 2019 unless Honda turns it on. Ricciardo and Verstappen could be gone by 2021. Why not sell to Aston and stay as a sponsor.

InertiaXr

It isn't thaaaaaaat bad. Granted, the best studio person on the team at the moment, Leigh Diffey was in Sonoma this week for Indycar action.

Ya, commercials suck, but if they have to show them to get me every race live on TV so be it. If change does happen it would just be the commentators and not the format.

I don't remember his name but the one ex-mechanic guy has some good info every once in a while when they give him an opportunity with a close shot of a car. Otherwise its just them repeating what we can already see and work out ourselves like its a radio broadcast which is pretty ZZZzzzz

Fox Mulder

It sucks, especially compared to Sky coverage. Buxton is great and all, but you need more. It's low budget.

Commercials are awful every 8 minutes or whatever, but that's all US sports.

dubc35

Buxton is good, I like him. Diffey is pretty decent. It seems like he has a genuine interest in motor sports. Hobbs is downright shit. It's baffling he used to drive in F1. He seems flabbergasted the cars can turn quickly. He gets scared when something appears to maybe have happened...only to realize he's watching a replay.

If Liberty wants to increase viewers/fans in the US, which it sounds like they do, they need to revamp the broadcast.

Was that the Sky interview on the track? I didn't quite catch if he mentioned the specific issue then but he mentioned managing RICs car there too. Horner seems like a pretty straight shooter and I doubt he'd just make up something. Even when it dried out a bit RIC did not have the pace to challenge, that would fit.

Chris R

The biggest problem with F1 in the US is a time zone issue.

Half of the races start at 5 AM on the West Coast. Yes DVRs exist and I'm glad for it, but watching live is part of the experience like today's first lap.

Chuck

Still without luck
The biggest problem with F1 in the US is a time zone issue.

Half of the races start at 5 AM on the West Coast. Yes DVRs exist and I'm glad for it, but watching live is part of the experience like today's first lap.

so you're saying night Monaco?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I wonder if Redbull is eyeing the 2021 rules as a way out. The new rules will be intended to attract new manufacturers, who would likely choose to buy an existing team instead of start fresh.

They'll be denied the top three engines in 2019 unless Honda turns it on. Ricciardo and Verstappen could be gone by 2021. Why not sell to Aston and stay as a sponsor.

Yeah they may be thinking about that. If they are I'm glad they're not making any sudden decisions or shutting down all operations just like that. RBR would go to Aston and then to a big manufacturer and Toro Rosso could stay as a Hond a team (and potentially be bought if another big player arrives).

This is Danny Ric though :D
Probably true because I don't really see a reason for Horner to protect Daniel at the expense of the car if it wasn't true.
Fair enough on both points there, I just find it odd that Danny wouldn't mention it at all.

Was that the Sky interview on the track? I didn't quite catch if he mentioned the specific issue then but he mentioned managing RICs car there too. Horner seems like a pretty straight shooter and I doubt he'd just make up something. Even when it dried out a bit RIC did not have the pace to challenge, that would fit.
Yeah. Danny seemed to imply that they'd made some changes to the car to deal with the conditions, and they didn't work at all.

Razgreez

I'm lazy but... is the any extended onboard footage of any drivers, ideally Ricciardo or Hamilton, for the first few laps of the race available anywhere? Would love to see, more interested in hearing actually, what the conditions were like to drive in.

Hamilton has now won the last 7 rain affected races if my memory serves me correctly. Seems he'll be praying for rain all the remaining season long if possible (or at least on the twistier tracks where Mercedes struggles)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm lazy but... is the any extended onboard footage of any drivers, ideally Ricciardo or Hamilton, for the first few laps of the race available anywhere? Would love to see, more interested in hearing actually, what the conditions were like to drive in.

Hamilton has now won the last 7 rain affected races if my memory serves me correctly. Seems he'll be praying for rain all the remaining season long if possible (or at least on the twistier tracks where Mercedes struggles)

Fingers crossed for rain in Abu Dhabi!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting tidbit from Ted's Notebook - Mercedes used their #2 engine for this race - they introduced it for Spanish GP back in April

Mohonky

This has always been the Ferrari way. Bunch of entitled morons, that's why I would never support them. They run around like F1 is their own playground.

Though tbh Redbulls past few years of whinging and Marko complaining if they aren't winning they aren't interested in being there is up there also, which is a pity because the team itself is always entertaining, it's just Marko and his usual crap that gets old.

Combine that:
111iol6s.jpg

That is one hot looking car........

Also yeh, Aston Martin will probably be supplying Redbull in the near future if Honda don't start bringing the performance and reliability.

Why Aston Martin vs Porsche is a bit beyond me, Aston Martin have never really produced any engine worth note vs Porsche who have a lot of experience in turbo hybrid units.......seems odd to me. I know Redbull do a lot of things with Aston Martin but it still makes no sense to me.

Alonso will be at McLaren next year, pretty much a given, he's confident in the chasis and he seems to be enjoying working with them and McLaren seem to be really happy with Fernando; him staying on seems a given to me.

ramparter

Banned
Yeah I think Alonso will want to stay and be optimistic for the next season, I know I am. He also has a good history with the Renault people and currently Renault seem to not be that far behind as in previous years..

John_B

Interesting tidbit from Ted's Notebook - Mercedes used their #2 engine for this race - they introduced it for Spanish GP back in April
Damn, Hamilton might make it through the whole season with just 4 engines. He usually needs twice that.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I thought that was likely - especially on a circuit that's not very demanding on the engine.

dl77

So, surely Mercedes now have to tell Bottas that he's their No 2 driver for the rest of the year - if they haven't already. He wasn't just beaten by Hamilton, he was destroyed.

With a 28 point lead and the next race being one with lots of nice long straights that should play into their hands surely it's the time to capitalise, especially with the one after more likely to be a Ferrari track. Of course this is assuming that Bottas gets ahead of Hamilton at any point in the remaining races!

I know that in theory he still has a chance of winning but trailing Hamilton by 50 points with 5 races left should be enough for Merc to say "You've done a great job this year, we're keeping you on for next year but you need to support our bid for both titles now.".

On a side note I do feel a bit sorry for him. Merc have only given him a years extension and he must know that's because they're hoping to get Verstappen or Ricciardo into the team for the 2019 season. Even in the best car it can't be nice knowing that you're just there as filler material at worst or a last resort at best (in case Hamilton goes at the end of next season).

DBT85

I think if Bot is 1st and Ham is 2nd they'll leave them like it still. If it looks (as it has before) like Bot is getting dropped by the cars ahead the'll get him to move over for Lewis again as they've done before. There may not be a caveat that Lewis give it back though.

Top Bottom