• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2018 Season |OT| Better Late Than Never

Grieves

Maybe not as bad but still boring.

That's the last three that have been a bit dull. I've no idea what the French circuit is like but the one after is Austria which is another of the small circuits that I hate.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
DhI7.gif

Yagami_Sama

What a boring race. And another disastrous race for McLaren. They really need to improve. Another "trial" season will be horrible for them.

Fox Mulder

What a boring race. And another disastrous race for McLaren. They really need to improve. Another "trial" season will be horrible for them.

They sucked at Monaco and were the slowest Renault team at Canada. They should be ashamed at claiming they had the best chassis on the grid.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

Alonso DNF on the last two races were very frustrating. And the I think that the last one was, due to the engine, but McLaren might trying to cover things up in order to keep a good relationship with Renault. And is jut my impression, but McLaren car and Renault engine was not good match, the car just did not work, next season if they keep with Renault engine, they will need design the car from scratch again,

And the most interesting thing for the next season is, if Renault drops Red Bull, who will supply engines for Red Bull ? Honda ? And imagine how bad McLaren will look if Red Bull Honda, won some races or even the championship.

Yagami_Sama

That's what make things worse for them. They started okay, maybe thanks to other cars been DNF, and they are having now similar to what they have in the previous years.

Maybe my expectations were too high

Fox Mulder

I thought Ferrari should resign Kimi for another year and move Leclerc to Haas, but he looks legit in the Sauber now. Qualified P8 at France, two spots behind Kimi.

Hope the race isn't a sleep inducer.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I thought Ferrari should resign Kimi for another year and move Leclerc to Haas, but he looks legit in the Sauber now. Qualified P8 at France, two spots behind Kimi.

Hope the race isn't a sleep inducer.
I’m still hoping Ferrari sign Ricciardo, but yeah, Leclerc looks something special.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of action and cars going off during the race.

Yagami_Sama

Maybe Vettel is feeling the pressure. But for me was also a race incident, I do believe that he was too bold on that move, but any move he could have done would lead him to crash on someone else. But, hey at least this time Verstappen was in the clear.

And boy, this race exposed or showed the real state of McLaren and made me believe that they were lucky on the races that they scored points. Their car are horrible, and they are as bad as they were two years ago. They really need to sort things out. This race was sad to see, how poor their performance was.

Fox Mulder

Jesus fuck Grosjean sucks. Kmag is single handedly carrying the team in 7th, one point behind Force India. Every point scored by him. They could be fighting for 4th with Renault.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Jesus fuck Grosjean sucks. Kmag is single handedly carrying the team in 7th, one point behind Force India. Every point scored by him. They could be fighting for 4th with Renault.
I doubt Grosjean will have a seat next year. Although, I’m not sure about his current contract status.

Grosjean was my guy, especially at lotus but........his performances and constant abuse over the radio is really putting me off him.

As you say, the Haas chassis and Ferrari engine are capable of much more than what his performance is allowing for.

It's a shame, but he is just not good enough.

So today's race is a great example of why I dislike Hamilton. He frequently bitches to radio throwing everyone on the team under the bus whenever something goes wrong. Yes they fucked up Lewis, but it's a team game so be goddamn man and worry about your part of the job. When he wins, it's great talent and oh Jesus #blessed and shit. When he loses, it's on everyone else. It's fucking irritating.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So today's race is a great example of why I dislike Hamilton. He frequently bitches to radio throwing everyone on the team under the bus whenever something goes wrong. Yes they fucked up Lewis, but it's a team game so be goddamn man and worry about your part of the job. When he wins, it's great talent and oh Jesus #blessed and shit. When he loses, it's on everyone else. It's fucking irritating.
Yep, he’s a manchild. Frequently acts like a spoilt brat. Sooks it up when things don’t go his way. That’s why I don’t respect him or like him.

Breakage

I wasn't expecting that Merc double DNF. Regarding Hamilton, sometimes I get the impression that he feels as he if he is owed nothing less than a win on a Sunday, and when it doesn't happen he goes all moody with the whole "don't talk to me" stuff. The track and car are constantly evolving on race day; bad decisions and mechanical failures are bound to happen, but these days, Lewis seems to want perfection in such circumstances and that's just unrealistic.

I wasn't expecting that Merc double DNF. Regarding Hamilton, sometimes I get the impression that he feels as he if he is owed nothing less than a win on a Sunday, and when it doesn't happen he goes all moody with the whole "don't talk to me" stuff. The track and car are constantly evolving on race day; bad decisions and mechanical failures are bound to happen, but these days, Lewis seems to want perfection in such circumstances and that's just unrealistic.

Yeah it's a terrible way to go about things. And the sad part is this behavior extends to his fans. I remember in the F1 community in old GAF you'd have people saying that year Nico beat his ass for a championship didn't count because Lewis had to many bad breaks. His car broke once or twice, he didn't lose it. I shit you not, insecurity generates insecurity.

Breakage

Yeah it's a terrible way to go about things. And the sad part is this behavior extends to his fans. I remember in the F1 community in old GAF you'd have people saying that year Nico beat his ass for a championship didn't count because Lewis had to many bad breaks. His car broke once or twice, he didn't lose it. I shit you not, insecurity generates insecurity.
Yeah, I remember those days. I saw Lewis's post race interview earlier and he looked as if he has been suffering from reliability issues all season. You'd think a guy with a religious outlook on life would be more capable of accepting an unfortunate instance of failure with some humility. I think he expected to go into the season with no one really challenging him - that's obviously not the case with RedBull and Ferrari in the mix - and now he can't handle the fact that other teams are much closer to the Mercs than last year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember those days. I saw Lewis's post race interview earlier and he looked as if he has been suffering from reliability issues all season. You'd think a guy with a religious outlook on life would be more capable of accepting an unfortunate instance of failure with some humility. I think he expected to go into the season with no one really challenging him - that's obviously not the case with RedBull and Ferrari in the mix - and now he can't handle the fact that other teams are much closer to the Mercs than last year.

Yeah he doesn't behave like a champion at all, always deflecting blame and undermining his own team. Seriously if I'm Toto I'd tell him to fuck right off after this season and I'd try to replace him with a young talent like Leclerc (which would have the added bonus of messing with Ferrari as well), see how he likes not having the most OP car ever. The weird part is that he had some insane luck both this year and last year, Vettel really hoarded all the bad breaks for both of them. Hamilton really should complain less.

Fox Mulder

He's all about the team winning together until they aren't. Cooking up conspiracies with Rosberg was pretty horrible.

But even with all their success, Mercedes seems to often make poor strategy calls that costs wins. Redbull is always there like sharks at the smallest hint of blood.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I see Hamilton and Mercedes as the “bad guys” team from the Mighty Ducks movie or Cobra Kai dojo from Karate Kid. All slick black uniforms, no emotion, no fun, perfection, perfection, perfection and they cry when they lose. Lol.

Mohonky

You guys are aware radio messages are selectively chosen. There are heaps of discussions going on you never hear, we only get very few select highlights.

Not sure why you would be surprised by Hamiltons reaction of an almost guaranteed win turning into a shitfest. They have missed every VSC and safety car pitstop strategy this year that were complete no brainers to pull the drivers in. Mercedes just dont get the strategy calls right and have left the drivers out and put the pressure back on the drivers to get out of that hole.

Being the most obvious individual in the team (the driver) you're the first person people either praise or blame for what position you finish but there are dozens of individuals going over data and information both in the pit and back at the factories making the calls on what to do so it shouldnt be a surprise when a driver sees themselves out of position to be confused / downbeat wondering how they went backwards when when it seemed everything was under control from their end.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You guys are aware that Lewis Hamilton has had a reputation as a curmudgeon and a sook since forever, not just from one radio message from this past weekend.

Yagami_Sama

I have mixed feelings about the race. Poor Bottas can't catch a break, but at least this time, Hamilton also DNF, which was horrible for him and for the team. Alonso was lucky, but he "saved" his race. I thought that he would DNF in 4 laps, but he was bold, and lucky and score a few points and this puts Vandoorne in a even worse situation.

But anyway, I don't like this thing of "Hey , last save, engine, fuel, tires or the car will blow out" thing. This is destructing the sports for me, and I am watching this since 1998.

Hamilton is like that since forever, so his behavior does not surprise me. And things are usually like that, when he lost, is a lose for the team, and when he wins, he is the genius. Like on Soccer, people usually refer to team as one guy, and if the teams wins that one guys is chosen one, else the other guys did nothing.

And next race Mercedes will need to go all out.

Fox Mulder

Bottas is getting fucked this year, but he's been doing great otherwise and his seat is safe from the looks of the driver market.

Last edited:
You guys are aware radio messages are selectively chosen. There are heaps of discussions going on you never hear, we only get very few select highlights.

Not sure why you would be surprised by Hamiltons reaction of an almost guaranteed win turning into a shitfest. They have missed every VSC and safety car pitstop strategy this year that were complete no brainers to pull the drivers in. Mercedes just dont get the strategy calls right and have left the drivers out and put the pressure back on the drivers to get out of that hole.

Being the most obvious individual in the team (the driver) you're the first person people either praise or blame for what position you finish but there are dozens of individuals going over data and information both in the pit and back at the factories making the calls on what to do so it shouldnt be a surprise when a driver sees themselves out of position to be confused / downbeat wondering how they went backwards when when it seemed everything was under control from their end.

You'd think that by having that many people working for you to make millions and be one of the most famous athletes in the world, the least he could do is have the professional courtesy of not throwing everyone under the bus when things don't go his way. But hey, I guess expecting him to not be an asshole is probably unrealistic because he was angry and shit.

Grieves

Well, the Austrian GP was a lot better than I was expecting.

I kinda figure most drivers are a bit up their own arses. I think they need the self-belief to do what they do.

Bottas is getting fucked this year, but he's been doing great otherwise and his seat is safe from the looks of the driver market.

If he was not that unlucky , he could have been 1st in drivers championship
92 + 25 ( Baku puncture ) + 18 ( Austria GP failure ) = 135 ( others would have less points as he would have been in podium )

Yagami_Sama

I read somewhere that the relationship between him and the other employees were horrible, but even if this is true, looks like they need a scapegoat to justify all the mess and try to right the wrongs inside the team.

Let's see if the manage to build a good foundation for the next season.

Breakage

Not surprised at Boullier's exit. I'm surprised he lasted that long. British GP should be interesting.

Edit: Hartley's FP3 suspension failure crash was crazy.

Last edited:

Breakage

As someone who lives in the UK, I'm happy Seb won today. As I expected,Lewis has gone all moody despite going from 18th to 2nd.

I said it before,but it's as if he expects 1st every single time. He couldn't even stick around for the post race interview.

Last edited:
good race today

FIA back at it again with their inconsistent penalties

1)Bottas took Kimi out in Baku and finished 2nd (No penalty for Bottas)
2) Max took Vettel front wing last year (no penalty for max)
3) Max had a slight tap with Kimi in the last race which pushed Kimi aside (but no penalty for Max)
4) Max involved in many 1st lap incidents (no penalties)
5) Bottas took Kimi out China in 2017 (no penalty for Bottas)
6) Vettel was doing 2nd FL in Canada q2 (think so), but boxed by many cars. Got slowed down by other cars. (No penalty to other drivers)

Did anyone watch F2?

F2 ban Santino Ferrucci from races in Hungary and Belgium

he says his teammate was doing stuff to him during the race but I can't find what

Fox Mulder

The penalties will always be inconsistent with how they rotate different stewards around.

It's dumb how Vettel got a penalty at all in France, but Kimi got worse for doing the same thing really. Of course Lewis whined about it being a plan by Ferrari to intentionally wreck him.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I thought it was completely unsurprising and really poor that Hamilton ran inside for a sook instead of doing his contractually obligated on track interview for the benefit of his home fans. Complete manchild. To top it off with him and his team delving into tinfoil hat conspiracy theories to explain why he didn’t win a race is just embarrassing. Hamilton makes it SO easy to dislike him. EAD.

DhI7.gif

Grieves

Found out this weekend that next year Channel 4 (UK) will only be showing highlights of the races next year. Only live one will be the British GP.

Yeah, fuck that. I already have to wait 5 hours on media blackout to watch highlights of half the races. It's already a pain in the arse. Not going to do it for a whole season.

Not going to subscribe to Sky so I may as well just not bother keeping up with the F1.

I would have thought Liberty Media would be keen to keep F1 on freeview channels but apparently not.

Still, sulky Lewis was funny this weekend.

ruvikx

Banned
I would have thought Liberty Media would be keen to keep F1 on freeview channels but apparently not.

It'll be the death of F1. All the big names currently at the top of the sport only achieved stardom & fame because the races could be followed by everyone up until a few years ago. In France the races are on Canal + (a paid channel), i.e. a farce in and of itself considering France just got its own race back on the calendar this season after over a decade absence. Once the Hamilton/Vettel generation are gone, none of the newer guys will have anywhere near as mush fame simply because far fewer people watch the races. It's basic maths.

The same happened to WRC Rally (i.e. from the glory days of Colin McRae, Sébastien Loeb, Marcus Gronholm, Richard Burns etc. to today when nobody knows anyone in the sport). Football (especially at club level in the Champions League) risks the same fate (certain countries have lost freeview matches in European competitions even for their own national clubs, such as France).

Fox Mulder

I never could actually watch most the races because I'm in the US and the races are so early. I'd try to watch them later on Sunday, but usually get spoiled and the F1 youtube has good enough highlight videos. I just follow the sport that way with far less time invested.

f1 was able to get billions from pay tv deals, so they did. They're building up their streaming service which will presumably take over once the tv deals dry up.

Top Bottom