• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2018 Season |OT| Better Late Than Never

Grieves

2018 RACE SCHEDULE

Australian Grand Prix

Melbourne, 23-25 March

Bahrain Grand Prix

Sakhir, 6-8 April

Chinese Grand Prix

Shanghai, 13-15 April

Azerbaijan Grand Prix

Baku, 27-29 April

Spanish Grand Prix

Barcelona, 11-13 May

Monaco Grand Prix

Monte Carlo, 24, 26-27 May

Canadian Grand Prix

Montreal, 8-10 June

French Grand Prix

Le Castellet, 22-24 June

Austrian Grand Prix

Spielberg, 29 June-1 July

British Grand Prix

Silverstone, 6-8 July

German Grand Prix

Hockenheim, 20-22 July

Hungarian Grand Prix

Budapest, 27-29 July

Belgian Grand Prix

Spa-Francorchamps, 24-26 August

Italian Grand Prix

Monza, 31 August-2 September

Singapore Grand Prix

Marina Bay, 14-16 September

Russian Grand Prix

Sochi, 28-30 September

Japanese Grand Prix

Suzuka, 5-7 October

United States Grand Prix

Austin, 19-21 October

Mexican Grand Prix

Mexico City, 26-28 October

Brazilian Grand Prix

Sao Paulo, 9-11 November

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Yas Marina, 23-25 November

TEAMS

Ferrari

Races started: 950 Pole positions: 213 Wins: 230 Podium places: 729 Championships: 16 2017 position: 2nd 2017 wins / podiums: 5/20 2017 best: 1st - 5 times

Drivers:

Kimi Raikkonen (Finland)
Sebastian Vettel (Germany) - Ferrari

Force India

Races started: 192 Pole positions: 1 Wins: 0 Podium places: 5 Championships: 0 2017 position: 4th 2017 wins / podiums: 0/0 2017 best: 4th - Spanish

Drivers:

Esteban Ocon (France) - Force India
Sergio Perez (Mexico)

Haas

Races started: 42 Pole positions: 0 Wins: 0 Podium places: 0 Championships: 0 2017 position: 8th 2017 wins / podiums: 0/0 2017 best: 6th - Austria

Drivers:

Romain Grosjean (France)
Kevin Magnussen (Denmark)

McLaren

Races started: 822 Pole positions: 155 Wins: 182 Podium places: 485 Championships: 8 2017 position: 9th 2016 wins / podiums: 0/0 2017 best: 7th - Malaysia, Singapore

Drivers:

Fernando Alonso (Spain)
Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium)

Mercedes

Races started: 169 Pole positions: 89 Wins: 76 Podium places: 155 Championships: 4 2017 position: 1st 2017 wins / podiums: 12/26 2017 best: 1st - 12 times

Drivers:

Valtteri Bottas (Finland)
Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain)

Red Bull

Races started: 245 Pole positions: 58 Wins: 55 Podium places: 148 Championships: 4 2017 position: 3rd 2017 wins / podiums: 3/13 2017 best: 1st - Azerbaijan, Malaysia, Mexico

Drivers:

Daniel Ricciardo (Australia)
Max Verstappen (Netherlands)

Renault

Races started: 342 Pole positions: 51 Wins: 35 Podium places: 100 Championships: 2 2017 position: 6th 2017 wins / podiums: 0/0 2017 best: 6th - five times

Drivers:

Nico Hulkenberg (Germany)
Carlos Sainz (Spain)

Sauber

Races started: 441 Pole positions: 1 Wins: 1 Podium places: 27 Championships: 0 2017 position: 10th 2017 wins / podiums: 0/0 2017 best: 8th - Spain

Drivers:

Marcus Ericsson (Sweden)
Charles Leclerc (Monaco)

Toro Rosso

Races started: 227 Pole positions: 1 Wins: 1 Podium places: 1 Championships: 0 2017 position: 7th 2017 wins / podiums: 0/0 2017 best: 4th - Singapore

Drivers:

Brendon Hartley (New Zealand)
Pierre Gasly (France)

Williams

Races started: 703 Pole positions: 128 Wins: 114 Podium places: 312 Championships: 9 2017 position: 5th 2017 wins / podiums: 0/1 2017 best: 3rd - Azerbaijan

Drivers:

Sergey Sirotkin (Russia)
Lance Stroll (Canada)

All information copy and pasted from www.bbc.co.uk/formula1

Grieves

Thanks.

My Google feed ruined the Australian GPS results for me so I'm hoping to be able to watch Bahrain live.

I hate the way I have to go on media blackout for 5 hrs every other race.

TrainedRage

Banned
So I'm a fan of racing (motorcycle) but have never got into F1. Recently I bought a racing wheel and the game F1 2017. After playing the game I have a new interest in the sport.

Are there any suggested races I should watch? How are you watching F1? The game indicates there was a pretty big change in the sport as to the way the cars behave, is this true? What were the changes made to the sport?

Grieves

Spa is usually a good race and I like circuits like Suzuka and the Circuit of the Americas.

The ones I find boring are the shorter ones like Monaco and the Austrian GPS.

No idea about viewing options in the US as I'm in the UK.

Not sure about rule changes as they seem to tinker with the rules e

Yagami_Sama

Hamilton gear box change was quite a disappointment. Both McLarens looks to be struggling, so if the score one point will be quite the feat, because I have the impression that they might no finish the race.

And with Vettel on pole and Raikkonen on P2, probably Vettel will cruise to the win.

But who knows, maybe something expected happens during the start, maybe Verstappen "torpedo" one of the Ferraris and Raikkonen won this. But anyway, I am expecting a quite boring race.

Holy shit what a fantastic race, Vettel is a legend but I can't help but think that someone at Ferrari fumbled up the strategy and they adjusted on the fly. Still, what an incredible finish.

Yagami_Sama

Race was better than I thought, but Vettel ended up winning.I really thought that Bottas would surprise everyone but is not his style in the end he was not that threat, but Vettel deserves some praises for making the tires survive until the very end and I really detest when a Ferrari won a race, for some reason it makes me feel so bad.

That incident with Ferrari mechanic was so bizarre, poor guy. Raikkonen is a very unlucky guy.

As a side note, Verstappen needs to receive some lectures. He is not a rookie anymore, and some maneuvers he performs are too risky for him and for the others, if he had took Hamilton out, things would have been crazy on the paddock.

Also, even though, both RBR were out, one Ferrari but Gasly end on P4 was great for him and both MCLAREN scoring some points was also good to see, but it also shows that they have a lot to improve, engine is not their only problem.

What a race

Great drive from vettel to finish the race with those tyres.

Hope the mechanic gets better heard he broke his foot in two places

Grieves

After quali I thought we were going to have a boring race but I enjoyed that.

I can't believe Vettel made his tyres last. I was expecting a blow out in the last couple of laps.

Next weeks race should be interesting.

notathing

Banned
Bottas should have pushed Vettel on the outside as Brundle pointed out. How is he going to become a champion without employing dirty tricks?

As a side note, Verstappen needs to receive some lectures. He is not a rookie anymore, and some maneuvers he performs are too risky for him and for the others, if he had took Hamilton out, things would have been crazy on the paddock.

Agreed. He's still crazy young, but it's frustrating how he makes the same mistakes over and over again. That's what happens when your "style" is being aggressive, you become stupid. Hamilton and Vettel are aggressive, but it's not what defines them as drivers. It definitely feels like Max bought to his own hype and now he is trying too much, he's basically the F1 version of a Shadow the Hedgehog OC.

Yagami_Sama

Ferrari's 1-2, is pretty disappointing. The odds of Vettel cruising to the win are high. I thought that this was Raikkonen weekend. Poor guy.

And it was another sad qualifying for McLaren. They need to revise their targets and see what they might improve or else, it will be another year without a podium.

Goddamn beautiful race. Max should get a lifetime ban from the way he just rammed my main man Seb. Tough race for Ferrari and holy nuts I'm drunk as fuck and I'll go on on another thread. But the race was fun, it was a clusterfuck but it was fun.

Yagami_Sama

Another surprisingly good race. Vettel pushing Raikkonen out of the way right on the start was a bold move. And another race that Mercedes "lost" thanks to the Safety Car. That incident between the two Toro Rosso was silly.

Verstappen should have received a harsh punishment, he should have got a stop and go, not just 10 seconds. He ruined Vettel's race. He must receive some lectures, he is overdoing it. Ricciardo "Played hard" but was "clean" in his overtakes. He needs to cool down, or might get involved in a serious accident.

And Alonso overtaking Vettel was interesting. It was a harsh move by Alonso, but I can imagine his satisfaction in overtaking a Ferrari. And with this result McLaren is in 4th on the constructor championship

Yagami_Sama

Another weird race. Every time I think that Bottas will finally shine and win a race in a way to say to the other drivers that here is racing for wins, something weird happens to him. Tough luck.

Vettel overdid, for someone who wants to be a champion, I think that he overdid and screwed his race, and thanks to him and Bottas bad luck, Hamilton is the new championship leader.

Raikkonen had a good race, and finished on P2. And I also thought that McLaren chances to score points were slim, but thanks to all the chaos, both McLaren scored a few points.

And that incident between the two Redbulls were a total disaster. And what makes it worse is that Verstappen was not the one to blame this time. Things might become tense between the two. And maybe, will help Ricciardo move to another team faster.

Kimi fucked up again, I love Kimi but I have to question what his role is.

Didn't Kimi start in the front row in every other competition thus far? I wouldn't call it a fuck up when your mechanic can't even switch tires. Otherwise he has to do whatever is best for Vettel, even if he loses spots because of it.

grosjean incident was also weird

disappointed for vettel but overall ferrari out scored Mercedes, hope they can keep at it.

2 races in a row where things could have gone better for Seb, but maybe it's good that he's getting this stuff out of his system early unlike last year lol.

Grieves

I'm not a big fan of Baku but at least Ricciardo made it interesting.

After four races the Ferrari still looks like the strongest car so we should be in for a good season.

Shame Red Bull seems to be trying to turn a three horse race into a two horse race.

Grieves

Arse! I thought it was live coverage on Channel 4 this weekend. I was hoping to catch some of practice today but it's a highlights weekend.

5pm quality and 6pm race ain't so good either. Probably watching this on catch up and trying not to get the results spoiled for me again.

Yagami_Sama

Even think about two team mates fighting each other on Ferrari is hard for me. For that reason I think that in order to Ricciardo become a Ferrari driver Vettel must leave or else, it will be unusual for them.

And when I think that Ferrari would do 1 - 2 easily for some reason they dropped the ball. And I am very happy for Alonso, so far he is doing a great job. I just feel that Vandoorne is been sacrificed for this, but is just my impression. Vandoorne on GP2 was incredible, on Super Formula not much.

That was a boring race. A part from the bizarre incident caused by Grosjean, the rest of the race was pretty boring.

True, it was terrible to watch. Great racing by Hamilton, but it was just insanely tedious otherwise. I feel bad about Ferrari kind of punting away a 3rd place, I know I might be aided by hindsight but that turned out to be an egregiously poor strategy.

Kimi brings balance & peace to Vettel's supremacy at Ferrari. He doesn't give a damn about politics, press or even his team mate. Imagine if Vettel's team mate is Verstappen.

You're right. It's funny that the same things that make me a fan of Kimi are also what frustrate me about him. He just seems to exist on a different plane altogether lol.

Yagami_Sama

Even when he is doing a good job, he always do something silly. Both Red Bulls are strong, at least as of now. Maybe they have the chance to do score the pole.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So that was my first F1 race that I’ve watched. Pretty cool.

The dynamics introduced by VSC and pit stops at the end of the race were particularly interesting.

Do people try and time pit stops to get between cars like that on purpose? Or cause an accident to get a VSC initiated to give their teammate some space?

I need to do a bit more research on the actual impact of the different tires and race strategy, but a pretty cool intro to the sport.

RubxQub

Monaco as your first race, you poor thing
Is that implying that Monaco is a great race and others will suck in comparison or that Monaco blows and isn’t a good representation of the sport? Lol

Yagami_Sama

I am have been watching F1 for a long time, and Monaco is one of the races that I am not able to enjoy. Formula 2 races were a caos but was better to watch. Markelov did a great job on both races.

It was pity that Alonso retired from the race, he was doing a good race. I hope that McLaren could improve more, because as of now, comparing the improvement from last season, are minimum.

JDB

Banned
Is that implying that Monaco is a great race and others will suck in comparison or that Monaco blows and isn’t a good representation of the sport? Lol
It's the worst race. There's almost no overtaking and unless a car crashes nothing really happens.

RubxQub

It's the worst race. There's almost no overtaking and unless a car crashes nothing really happens.
Good to know. Well apparently I was able to get some level of entertainment out of it even still so hopefully the sport will jump out at me that much more when it’s a more proper track.

I like it. There are no overtakings, but people drive pretty close to one another and it makes it exciting if ultimately unfulfilling. Max beasted today though.

RubxQub

RubxQub

So with F1 do you cheer for the teams or the racers? Like are people loyal to Red Bull or Mercedes or Ferrari or do they just switch around based on the racers they like and what teams they drive for?

Yagami_Sama

It is quite relative. Some people dislike Ferrari, like me, and other are crazy from them. A lot of people like Ricciardo, due to his care free personality. Most of people around here back on the time, dislike Rosberg and at least I believe that most people are interested in good races not caring about teams or drivers.

I particularly have some sympathy for McLaren, I always like their look on 97 - 2005. And for me I don't care about the driver there, just that the team have good races. And I am okay with any team wining, except for Ferrari. :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dead board.

Threads shouldn't be started in Off-Topic Community for the time being. It's a low visibility area in general that's meant to be for subcommunities that follow ongoing threads via subscriptions etc. Moving this over to the main Off-Topic board.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Anyone here live in, or close to, Monza? I would like to attend, but I have some questions first.

Top Bottom