• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2018 Season |OT| Better Late Than Never

Breakage

Ouch.

Ricciardo move to Renault was weird. Maybe he was not believing in Honda's engine or he was tired of people praising Verstappen a lot. Who knows.
Will be interesting to see how he behave in a team that is fighting in the midfield instead of the top.
Yeah, I just thought it was a weird thing to admit in public. I mean it's not gonna inspire much confidence in the driver they just signed. Or perhaps Ricciardo knew he wasn't gonna get a race winning car before 2020 before signing on the dotted line.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

I read that Ricciardo was pretty set on moving as early as the beginning of this season. But his move to Renault feels more like a step back to me. This reminds of when Hill moved to Arrows after winning his championship. Or when Alonso went to McLaren from Ferrari.

I've got mixed feelings on Alonso's move to Indy. I really wanted to see him win another title in F1 before moving on. Guess that isn't gonna happen. But then moving to Indy could allow him to win the Triple Crown, which would also be amazing! And I heard Nascar is also interested in him. So if he wins Nascar and Indy, will he be the first ever Quadriple Crown winner? lol

Yagami_Sama

Alonso move might have some deal behind the scenes, because McLaren must find a seat to Lando Norris until September or else he will be free from his contracts obligation. Maybe McLaren reached Alonso and said that next year will be as good as this one and if he wants to race elsewhere they will "sponsor" him and meanwhile Vandoorne and Norris develop the car for 2 years or so until they manage to build a winning race car, or change back to Honda /s.

Mohonky

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138057/sainz-secures-alonso-mclaren-seat-for-2019

So, have McLaren gave up on Norris ? Who would be the other RedBulld driver ?

Vandoorne isnt lighting a fire up under anyones ass. His performance has been less than amazing, I'd say Mclaren have given up on Vandoorne, not on Norris is anything.

Also the Ricciardo move makes sense, he doesnt see Redbull challenging with Honda for a WDC and he will be playing second to Verstappen no matter what RBR say, Marko has his new wonderboy like he had Vettel.

Renault have always come back to fighting at the front, they have the money and the resources and they've done it many times before, Ricciardo was just making sure his foot was in the door

Breakage

Hamilton going into not talking sulk mode like clockwork.
For some reason, the cameraman was intensely focused on Hamilton towelling his backside in the Drivers room.

Last edited:

Makariel

The first lap was exciting. Seeing how easy the Ferrari got past on the straight was surprising and after that it was not really a question who is going to win.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Hamilton going into not talking sulk mode like clockwork.
“To hear Lewis moan about Ferrari, I nearly got my violin out.” - Christian Horner (Team Principal of Red Bull)

LOLOLOLOLOL! Thank you Christian for saying what everyone is thinking. Suck a fat one Lewie.

giphy.gif

Yagami_Sama

This was the race I thought that Raikkonen could have won. Because I was betting on him be the pole when the rain started. But is sad that, if Raikkonen is P2 on the grid, Vettel will end the race on P2 and so on.
Anyway, let' see how Mercedes will react. Ferrari won easily this time, if it was not for the rain, Vettel would have cruised from start to finish without any real threat from Hamilton.

Mohonky

The first lap was exciting. Seeing how easy the Ferrari got past on the straight was surprising and after that it was not really a question who is going to win.

How so? The Ferrari is fast as shit, its the car to have this year. Ferrari is both great from a power and handling stand point. Look at Haas and Sauber, they are going great with the Ferrari power unit

Makariel

How so? The Ferrari is fast as shit, its the car to have this year.
That's what is so unusual, ever since the hybrid era started Mercedes was top dog and every time Ferrari thought they gain on them Mercedes made a further step. Now it seems the other way round and after years of Mercedes dominance it's just weird. I was reminded of Spain last year, where Hamilton overtook Vettel on the straight as if he had a gp 2 engine. Ferrari was better on tracks like Singapore (in theory) and Monaco, while the silver arrows were unbeatable on power circuits. Now the Ferrari is fast everywhere and this is something that simply wasn't the case for about a decade now?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That's what is so unusual, ever since the hybrid era started Mercedes was top dog and every time Ferrari thought they gain on them Mercedes made a further step. Now it seems the other way round and after years of Mercedes dominance it's just weird. I was reminded of Spain last year, where Hamilton overtook Vettel on the straight as if he had a gp 2 engine. Ferrari was better on tracks like Singapore (in theory) and Monaco, while the silver arrows were unbeatable on power circuits. Now the Ferrari is fast everywhere and this is something that simply wasn't the case for about a decade now?
Yeah, I haven’t seen Ferrari this dominant and confident since the Schumacher days. If not for some bad luck and mistakes, they would be winning both drivers and constructor’s championships.

I keep expecting Mercedes to bounce back like you say, but so far, they seem just as surprised as everyone else.

Makariel

I'm looking forward to see how Ferrari are going to throw this championship away.
When and if they do it, it's probably in the most spectacular fashion, like last year...

singapore-1-679x483.jpg

I remember being in Japan when the race happened and I got into my hotel just missing the start. By the time I found the right channel to watch the race Vettel, Verstappen, Kimi and Alonso were already out of their cars and I was like "wtf just happened?"

edit: also relevant:

;)

Last edited:

Mohonky

Thats why the new Ferrari PU has raised eyebrows. It only takes one thing though, you find that one little idea and you can go from zero to 'the' car to beat.

Merc have been refining their PU but when they had so much initially, but you hit diminishing returns.

Team dominance in F1 has always been a cycle, it just depends on how long yoi can hang onto it and last year Ferrari were damn near equal to Merc, now it looks like they've find something to jump them

AlphaMale

Kimi is a legend but he really should retire. I remember him when he was the best in the business. He's still pretty good, but it's melancholic to see him frequently get shafted by luck, by his team, by himself...

I agree. Kimi in 2005 was amazing to watch. But I think his current form is less luck and more that he's married with kids. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I truly feel that someone who competes at a level where your life is on the line, you will *never* compete with as much gusto and fearlessness as you would when you're single.
As soon as you're married and, especially if you have kids, your level of risk taking suddenly diminishes cuz you have to think about a future with your family. You're not gonna want to make risky moves that could potentially end in disaster, for the sake of your wife/kid(s).
Look at how much better Hamilton became after ditching Nicole?
All the top drivers aren't married... Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen.

Seriously, once you get married, you might as well retire from any sport that requires high risk moves and potentially life-ending mistakes. You owe it to your family!

Makariel

Michael Schumacher won 5 of his 7 titles after he married if I remember correctly. Vettel, see posting above. So, nice rant but doesn't hold up to the facts :)

Makariel

Ferrari 1-2 in qualifying, with the fastest lap ever by Kimi. Yeah, being married definitely slowed him down (SCNR ;)).

Yagami_Sama

Vettel was not happy with the second time. He was celebrating over the radio when someone from Ferrari said that he was P2.
But this means that Vettel will win this one easily and Raikkonen will hold Hamilton while Vettel cruises to the end.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
  • Seb not liking the alleged tow Kimi got. Its not like Kimi caused that, you know?
  • Kimi accidentally breaking character by smiling when Mick Schumacher appeared to give him that god-awful tire trophy.
  • Bottas not having the pace and really not helping Ham here
  • Max being solid, but i fear for his car considering Crashjean is just next to him and the first Monza corner is a slow corner.. meaning people known for slow reaction times like Crashjean, Bottas, Stroll are a liability on the track.
  • Sad days for Leclerc. Really being on a roll here and then qualifying 17th.. Sauber back in a corner they escaped for quite some time now.
  • First corner is going to be crucial. Last week showed how response times are key or you essentially get a harmonica effect.
  • If Ham isn't going to get past Ferrari quickly then i reckon the pitshops will be his weapon of choice. Unless lots of cars DNF and safety cars wil run around the track then i feel this race has potential to lose momentum fast. Monza has some excellent overtaking spots though, so hopefully the drivers on the grid feel lucky today for once.

Airbus Jr

Banned
  • Seb not liking the alleged tow Kimi got. Its not like Kimi caused that, you know?
  • Kimi accidentally breaking character by smiling when Mick Schumacher appeared to give him that god-awful tire trophy.
  • Bottas not having the pace and really not helping Ham here
  • Max being solid, but i fear for his car considering Crashjean is just next to him and the first Monza corner is a slow corner.. meaning people known for slow reaction times like Crashjean, Bottas, Stroll are a liability on the track.
  • Sad days for Leclerc. Really being on a roll here and then qualifying 17th.. Sauber back in a corner they escaped for quite some time now.
  • First corner is going to be crucial. Last week showed how response times are key or you essentially get a harmonica effect.
  • If Ham isn't going to get past Ferrari quickly then i reckon the pitshops will be his weapon of choice. Unless lots of cars DNF and safety cars wil run around the track then i feel this race has potential to lose momentum fast. Monza has some excellent overtaking spots though, so hopefully the drivers on the grid feel lucky today for once.
images

Mohonky

What the fuck is Merc doing? Hamilton is losing so much time to Raikkonen right now....

Ham pits and is now 5 sec behind when he was 0.9 before the pits.

Mercs pit strategies are mind boggling. If he pitted after 2 laps he would have been neck and neck at least.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Come on Ham, just nurse it home. I want to see those Italian tears

Verstappen continues to be an idiot and Vettel being his own worst enemy.

Good clean driving by Ham and Raikkonen in their fights.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Max here. These bullshit rules are killing racing. Motherfuckers need to just get out of the way of who's coming behind, where's the fun in that? The GOAT Schumacher would absolutely never allow that, he'd throw fools out of the course for having the nerve of trying to pull a fast one on him. Now you can't cowboy shit.

These guys aren't children. Stop handicapping skill.

So we're just going to advocate running drivers off the road?

Where was the skill exactly?

Yes I am. Running guys off the road might be a bit extreme, but even if you don't want to have fun for whatever reason, the thing about having to brake on a straight fucking line is atrocious. Let me ask you, a guy is coming faster than you, what can you do to hold him back?

Mohonky

Yes I am. Running guys off the road might be a bit extreme, but even if you don't want to have fun for whatever reason, the thing about having to brake on a straight fucking line is atrocious. Let me ask you, a guy is coming faster than you, what can you do to hold him back?

Are you new to motorsport?

You dont have to brake in a straight line, you can brake heading toward the outside or inside of the corner, you just can't,

A. Weave about (somethinf Verstappen has been perpetually guilty of in his first few years)

Or

B. Move within a cars width of the edge of the track when another driver has a significant amount of their car alongside (which is what Verstappen was penalised for).

Its not fucking bumper cars, you cant have drivers thinking well no way I can stop them going past, guess I'll just run them off the road.

Are you new to motorsport?

You dont have to brake in a straight line, you can brake heading toward the outside or inside of the corner, you just can't,

A. Weave about (somethinf Verstappen has been perpetually guilty of in his first few years)

Or

B. Move within a cars width of the edge of the track when another driver has a significant amount of their car alongside (which is what Verstappen was penalised for).

Its not fucking bumper cars, you cant have drivers thinking well no way I can stop them going past, guess I'll just run them off the road.

Dude I was visibly exaggerating, you know full well what I meant. "Weave about" used to be defensive tactic you could employ because you shouldn't be expected to just give up your position. Guy tries to pass you up from the outside you close that door. This is fun to me. I'm a Vettel fan and that thing where he faced the wrong direction was the best part of the race. It was exciting. But other than these rare occasions, right now overlapping is about as fun as reading through Twitter interactions.

You haven't answered my question though. A guy is faster than you, how do you hold him?

Mohonky

Dude I was visibly exaggerating, you know full well what I meant. "Weave about" used to be defensive tactic you could employ because you shouldn't be expected to just give up your position. Guy tries to pass you up from the outside you close that door. This is fun to me. I'm a Vettel fan and that thing where he faced the wrong direction was the best part of the race. It was exciting. But other than these rare occasions, right now overlapping is about as fun as reading through Twitter interactions.

You haven't answered my question though. A guy is faster than you, how do you hold him?

What you're advocating is just running drivers off the road though, there is no other way to view it. The only way you don't penalise Verstappen is to change the rules to allow drivers to run others off the track.

If the guy is faster than you you position your car on the track to make them take a disadvantageous line through the corner.

What is the hard part to understand here? Great drivers know how to defend, they know where to place the car, they know when to purposefully swing the car wide or park it on the corner in such a way that it disrupts the other driver on that corner or to put them on a plor line for the next corner.

Theres a reason drivers like Hamilton and Alonso can drive side by side through multiple corners without crashing into anyone while simultaneously defending a position or performing an overtaking move.

Just because there are a bunch of drivers that cant seem to go into a corner without annilihating everyone doesnt mean its not possible.

Little wonder online racing games are such a mess

Last edited:
What you're advocating is just running drivers off the road though, there is no other way to view it. The only way you don't penalise Verstappen is to change the rules to allow drivers to run others off the track.

If the guy is faster than you you position your car on the track to make them take a disadvantageous line through the corner.

What is the hard part to understand here? Great drivers know how to defend, they know where to place the car, they know when to purposefully swing the car wide or park it on the corner in such a way that it disrupts the other driver on that corner or to put them on a plor line for the next corner.

That's bullshit and you know it. While this might hold them back for one lap or two, it's inevitable a futile effort. I remember that one time where Seb got hit with a time penalty for an illegal maneuver where he barely moved to the side because you're not supposed to do that while braking. Take that away and you take the true advantage someone ahead have over you, which is being unpredictable. There are a lot of possible maneuver that you just can't do and if you're fine with that, great! I think it's boring.

Theres a reason drivers like Hamilton and Alonso can drive side by side through multiple corners without crashing into anyone while simultaneously defending a position or performing an overtaking move.

Well good for them. Too bad Alonso couldn't do it against racing legend Vitaly Petrov. I bet that the moves Petrov pulled in that race are outlawed today.

Just because there are a bunch of drivers that cant seem to go into a corner without annilihating everyone doesnt mean its not possible.

Little wonder online racing games are such a mess

Do you consider what Max did today to be "annihilating" anyone? Seriously? Just end the sport JFC.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Come on Ham, just nurse it home. I want to see those Italian tears

Verstappen continues to be an idiot and Vettel being his own worst enemy.

Good clean driving by Ham and Raikkonen in their fights.
Verstappen is the only guy on the field actively racing as it should be. Now, for the incident. I am of the view that Max is in the wrong - Ver clearly knows Bottas is next to him and although he does not deliberately steer into Bottas, his line is diagonal, but straight. The (Dutch) commenters called this a foul, but Verstappen himself, who knows the rules, states that you can do this in a break zone, as long as it is a straight line.

Technically, he is right. But he was also fully aware that Bottas was there and by doing created a collision situation. This is a situation that can be explained both ways, which is seen in the penalty the Stewards gave to him: 5 seconds.

Max will obviously disagree with this view from his POV and yeah, he drives straight, so its allowed. But he also drives diagonally, meaning you will inevitable push someone off the track (In this case, Bottas). And knowing that Bottas is right besides you, this is interpreted as an incident.

So, the Stewards reacted accordingly. I can think of worse examples where it was the other way around and the Stewards were petty. This? Not so much. I do like that Verstappen still refused to give away the position, and also his dialogue - utterly comical. For all the wrong reasons, its the kind of stuff you need in F1. Often it works out, sometimes its the most amazing overtake of the season and it gets punished either way for crossing the line, and sometimes it does not work in your favor, as is the case here.

Other then that, an entertaining race. Vettel ffed it up for himself, sucks that Kimi couldn't keep up with his tyres. Ham now holds a comfortable lead and Seb needs a victory and some more to get the tension back flowing.

Biggest downer: Bottas holding off. I know that this is allowed practice and if it gives your teammate the win, go for it. But this is exactly why hearable teamorders got called off on the radio. Now they just don't do that on the radio anymore, but just pre-determine this before the race as one of the many scenario's that may occur. I don't know, its clever by the team, but in terms of sportmanship, its not.

Not that Ham or Mercedes care about that. The results count, and (for them) rightfully so. For the viewers, its a bit of a letdown.

That's my take on it though.

Gotta agree with Max here. These bullshit rules are killing racing. Motherfuckers need to just get out of the way of who's coming behind, where's the fun in that? The GOAT Schumacher would absolutely never allow that, he'd throw fools out of the course for having the nerve of trying to pull a fast one on him. Now you can't cowboy shit.

These guys aren't children. Stop handicapping skill.
This was a rather obvious mistake, there have been instances in the past where punishment was much more debateable and those things are really unneeded and unwarranted. Liberty Media wants to make F1 an Entertainment Extraordinaire. That means you will have to relax the rules a little. Hell, Alonso leaves the F1 because of it (Not the pre-dominant reason ofcourse, but it played a part)

So we're just going to advocate running drivers off the road?

Where was the skill exactly?
I advocate for more battles like these. This was one off the mark, but what i absolutely despise in modern F1 is how (most) drivers just give up their position when they are overtaken. Race after race you see this happening. Its boring, its trite. When a Vettel or a Hamilton have to start from behind, i want to see every other driver do his best not to have them gain so many positions, irregardless of motor advantages. Fight for your place. But more often than not you see these drivers just letting them pass by - Which is a terrible mentality to have.

(In retrospect, that's what i agree with Seb in his post-interview and with Alonso and Verstappen in general - There is nothing to be gained from driving safely and letting everyone pass.)

On the other end (And in defence of Verstappen), the guy is also responsible for some of the more memorables overtakes in F1 in recent years. It often works, and sometimes it does not. Today was one of those days.

This was a rather obvious mistake, there have been instances in the past where punishment was much more debateable and those things are really unneeded and unwarranted. Liberty Media wants to make F1 an Entertainment Extraordinaire. That means you will have to relax the rules a little. Hell, Alonso leaves the F1 because of it (Not the pre-dominant reason ofcourse, but it played a part)

Agreed. I like Wacky Races shenanigans personally, but I understand some people might not be up for that. However, the issue is that the rules have taken things a bit to fair to the point of complete boredom. Max is right to speak out against this. It is bullshit. Racing is entertainment first and foremost and there's absolutely nothing entertaining about pampered manchildren who needs to have guaranteed safe passage whenever they want.

Yagami_Sama

That was a great race. I thought it would be a chore to watch, but the race was great. It's a pity that Raikkonen did not win, but it was great race. Vettel was too confident and should have thought on the championship on the first corner, but at least I think that he overdid or tried to take ou Hamilton XD.

Bottas did a great job holding Raikkonen behind him, without him I believe that Hamilton would not have won this.

And another horrible race for McLaren.

Yagami_Sama

So how long until Ferrari's announces Leclerc as the replacement for Raikkonen? Since is clear that he just lost Vettel's championship.

Makariel

Disappointed, I wanted Kimi to win :(

Now its pretty much over I think, Mercedes will use Bottas as mobile road block to ensure ham wins another championship. Boooooring!

Fox Mulder

A Kimi win would have been nice, but they should be favoring Vettel by now for the championships.

Vettel should have been the one getting towed to pole and the fastest lap ever.

So how long until Ferrari's announces Leclerc as the replacement for Raikkonen? Since is clear that he just lost Vettel's championship.

What? Did Kimi crash with Hamilton? No, it was Vettel (again). Did Kimi decide to pit so early, only to get stuck behind Bottas and kill his tires completely? Did Kimi have any chance of holding on to the lead with these tires?

Last edited:

Makariel

Probably soon. Would've been problematic for them if Kimi actually won.
If Kimi would have won, Vettel, who drove into Hamilton on lap one after all, would not be quite so many points behind. Once Vettel was on the back of the grid, Kimi winning would have been the best that could have happened to Ferrari. Especially at Monza. I don't see how that is even a debate?

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

What? Did Kimi crash with Hamilton? No, it was Vettel (again). Did Kimi decide to pit so early, only to get stuck behind Bottas and kill his tires completely? Did Kimi have any chance of holding on to the lead with these tires?

I agree that was no Raikkonen fault, I was just been sarcastic because, it looked like best time for Ferrari to announce this :

Charles Leclerc's Formula 1 promotion to Ferrari in place of Kimi Raikkonen is back on track, because Ferrari wants to honour the plan implemented by Sergio Marchionne before he died.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138480/leclerc-ferrari-switch-back-on

Poor Raikkonen, not sure where he might go, maybe he will quit.

And on other news :

McLaren picks Lando Norris to replace Stoffel Vandoorne for F1 2019

Poor Vandoorne, joined McLaren when they were horrible, had no chance to do anything. But the difference in performance compared to Alonso and him is impressive.
Norris joined McLaren next season could not be a good idea for him, because if McLaren is as good as this season, it may frustrated him and might lead him to the same future as Vandoorne.

And Sains and Norris on McLaren is something that I would never guessed.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138484/mclaren-picks-norris-to-replace-vandoorne

Top Bottom