• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2018 Season |OT| Better Late Than Never

Breakage

I totally agree. I think team orders do more damage than just the immediate race. I mean, racer's stats are on the line and that's set in stone! How many wins should Schumacher and Hamilton really have in total? How many should Barachello, Massa, and Bottas really have?
These stats are what's officially recorded for all of history. There's not gonna be fine print where they state, "*wins by team orders". It's final and permanent. So it makes me sad for those "support drivers" who had to give up wins to help their team mate.
Exactly what I was thinking at the end of race. For the driver as an individual, it's all about the stats. Bottas hasn't won a single race this year. If he doesn't win any of the remaining races, then he would have gone an entire season – equipped with one of (if not) the fastest cars on the grid – without winning a GP. That's a bad look to put it mildly.
In the long run, fans won't care about the time he moved over for Lewis; they'll just see him as a driver who went an entire season without winning a single GP, despite having the same machinery.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I totally agree. I think team orders do more damage than just the immediate race. I mean, racer's stats are on the line and that's set in stone! How many wins should Schumacher and Hamilton really have in total? How many should Barachello, Massa, and Bottas really have?
These stats are what's officially recorded for all of history. There's not gonna be fine print where they state, "*wins by team orders". It's final and permanent. So it makes me sad for those "support drivers" who had to give up wins to help their team mate.
I completely agree with you, but then I remember that these support drivers get paid millions to do this job and have apartments and yachts in Monaco!

And I stop feeling sorry for them lol.

so they want to add a Q4 during qualifying

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...ng-change-q4-proposal-discussed-and-explained

here's my idea to spice things up, points for qualifying (top ten) and top ten reversed

mG4uYht.png

increase overtakes from the start and more strategies will come into play during the race

here is a more complete table

spGFS5r.jpg

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Given how lower teams tell their drivers not to fight so as to not compromise their own race, yes it would lead to more overtakes but they would not be meaningful. The number of overtakes is not the metric by which to measure good racing. The metric is the number of good sustained battles. That happens when you use mechanical instead of aero grip and when you have tyres which do not degrade as a result of following the car in front.

Makariel

And this is how Ferrari threw away the last chance, by putting on rain tyres when everyone else goes super soft and Vettel going wide at spoon.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
And this is how Ferrari threw away the last chance, by putting on rain tyres when everyone else goes super soft and Vettel going wide at spoon.
As soon as I saw the green on the tires, I explained to my cousin (who knows nothing about F1) that Ferrari fucked up. They gambled too soon and lost. Massive mistake. I told him that Mercedes will set a fast time on the super softs and no one else will get near it as it gets wetter. Played out exactly like that.

Someone is going to have to convince me that Ferrari do not in fact, pick their strategies out of a bingo/lottery machine or Crystal Maze style ticket cyclone.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Someone is going to have to convince me that Ferrari do not in fact, pick their strategies out of a bingo/lottery machine or Crystal Maze style ticket cyclone.
Dart board, lol.

In saying that, if it had rained straight away yesterday and a couple more gambles had gone their way this season, most people would be praising Ferrari as brilliant. It’s just one of those things.

It is clear though, that Mercedes have the sharper heads in the garage this season. I think Ferrari needs to do some more hiring for next year.

Breakage

I recently read that Bernie Ecclestone said Ferrari is "too Italian". Perhaps there's some truth to that. Merc seem more technically focused, ruthless etc, whereas Ferrari seem more flamboyant and spontaneous. Maybe they [Ferrari] need some more Brits and Germans in their race team.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I recently read that Bernie Ecclestone said Ferrari is "too Italian". Perhaps there's some truth to that. Merc seem more technically focused, ruthless etc, whereas Ferrari seem more flamboyant and spontaneous. Maybe they [Ferrari] need some more Brits and Germans in their race team.
Lol, could be.

Germans maybe. But, considering the state of Mclaren and Williams, I don’t think Brits are the answer.

Breakage

Lol, could be.

Germans maybe. But, considering the state of Mclaren and Williams, I don’t think Brits are the answer.
Ha yeah, I forgot about McLaren and Williams. But part of me gets the impression (as a casual viewer of F1) that Vettel's German attitude to racing doesn't mesh well with Ferrari's Italian flamboyance.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Ha yeah, I forgot about McLaren and Williams. But part of me gets the impression (as a casual viewer of F1) that Vettel's German attitude to racing doesn't mesh well with Ferrari's Italian flamboyance.
Yeah, one’s clinical and one runs on passion. Weird mix. Maybe Ferrari need an Italian driver for the first time in ages? Antonio Giovanazzi, time to pull your finger out.

Mohonky

Vettel showing more cracks than a dog turd on a hot dry day.

This is why Hamilton is the GOAT. He just breaks his opponents.

Breakage

I caught the last ten laps. I guess Ferrari have given up on chasing the WDC. They didn't even bother to switch Raikkonen and Vettel at the end.

Yagami_Sama

Ferrari is totally lost and the same goes to Vettel, another race in which he was involved in some kind of accident. And at least this time, for me, was not Verstappen fault. And I must say that their qualifying tactics was silly. McLaren had another sad race

Fox Mulder

Ferrari made a great car and they have a great driver. It's just that Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton exist. Ferrari did well but cracks under pressure like clock work. No one else has stepped up with a serious challenge.

The entire grid should have poached more key Mercedes talent by now. They've been dominating since 2014 and no signs of slowing down really.

Grieves

I like the Circuit of the Americas so hoping for some good racing this weekend.

Actually not having family turn up during the race would be an improvement on last race. I've only been watching F1 for 20 years, how would they know.

No reason for Lewis not to wrap up the championship this weekend but I do hope the Ferraris put up a good fight. Hell, it would be nice to have a race where the Ferraris don't just throw it away with a stupid strategy call.

Seb's on fire this year, he's improving with every weekend. He didn't even need to reach Saturday or Sunday to add another nail to the coffin this time. Maybe next weekend he'll achieve this during Thursday Press conference.

Mohonky

If the title fight was closer he probably would have gotten away with it. At this point they are like fuck it he aint gonna win the title anyway, you get the same treatment as the other back of the field plebs.

He'll still finish 2nd or 3rd at least

Mohonky

I swear Mercedes are fucking useless at strategy.

How do they not see the obvious....the commentators are even pointing it out. Hamilton is going so slow and they leave him out, its obvious his tyres are destroyed and wont make it yet they leave him out to lose 10 secs on P2 and P3.

"Ham we've left you out miles to long, we just need you to push now and un-fuck our strategy if you could please"

Jesus.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Could have sealed it today, instead they handed it to Rai and Ver by staying out far too many laps.

Its been the same story with Merc for the past 6 years, they just can't work out the correct move under safety cars and their indecision to make pitstops in general costs them positions.

Yagami_Sama

Mercedes played a Ferrari today, their strategy was just not good and costed then the win. Start on P1 and end on P3, sounds awful. And finally Raikkonen won one race, and this could be the last he won. I am happy for him, he should have won a few races, but the team opt to let Vettel one for the championship sake. And now he is the most successful F1 driver of his country. I like him, but I still prefer Mika Hakkinen.

Makariel

I managed to catch up with the race and boy am I happy Kimi got a win, FINALLY after years of being not quite there. Vettel threw it all away in lap one, as usual you might say. Bottas was invisible for most of the race. Was he actually on track? Only time I saw him was when he was off track as Vettel was cruising past. Ricciardo gets another taste of that great Renault engine, while Supermax drove from 18 to 2, that was one hell of a drive and keeping Hamilton behind him on tyres that were done, what a result!

I'm not sure if I should call Kimi or Max man of the race, both were doing a fantastic job on Sunday. Hamilton was suffering from poor strategy, he put it best himself in the post-race interview: the mistake already started on Saturday in qualifying. He was on the wrong tyre while Kimi could unleash the red beast next to him. Doesn't matter if your tyres last twice as long if you're stuck behind a Ferrari, needing to overdrive the rubber in an attempt to get close and get past.

And that VSC decision, opposite day was a poor call however you slice it. That left him with having to 2-stop while everyone around got away with one stop. And again Mercedes sacrificing track position. They just were too sure this is a done deal, and after Vettel getting a grid penalty and Hamilton starting in pole I was also certain it's a done deal. I don't know how Mercedes managed to screw themselves over so badly?

Makariel

That could be interesting. RBR has a chance for a 1-2 finish IMO, given their turbo lasts the whole race.

Hamilton will wrap up the fifth tomorrow either way, things would have to get REALLY weird to prevent that.

Makariel

Well, that was it then. Congrats Lewis to number 5, and poor Ricciardo can't get a break. Looked like the first RBR 1-2 in a long time until two Renault engines decided to suicide almost in sync. I'm a bit surprised how bad the Mercedes were today, they have work to do if they want to secure the constructors. Supermax strikes again, I'm really hoping red bull gets a decent engine next year.

Grieves

Cracking race from Max and a real shame for Danny.

A well deserved championship for Lewis but I hope someone can challenge him next season.

Yagami_Sama

Ricciardo bad luck, is depressing. Since the guy announced that he will race for another team, he always having problems. Some may say that is on purpose, but this sucks from him. Verstappen did a great race, even if Hamilton had overtook him at the start of the race, he was in another level today, Hamilton was struggling and Mercedes Strategy was just clumsy. Some say that he was been cautious, but this was one of the worst races from Mercedes this season, if not the worst. Alonso also was unlucky.

And in my modest opinion Vandoorne was the driver of the day, because yesterday he did a great race, but people just remember him, when he is doing a poor race.

And man Hamilton won his 5th title, what an achievement. If things keep like that, he could match Michael Schumacher and maybe surpassa, and this is just insane.

newgarden-road-america-3.jpg

Announced today, Marcus Ericsson is joining Schmidt Peterson Motorsport in Indycar for 2019. Rumors were swirling for about a month now about this switch.
With Kimi's move to Sauber, Marcus was the odd man out. If you have questions about Indycar, I have a compendium of useless knowledge to call upon.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
IndyCar = better racing and much nicer-looking cars. Plus ovals are ridiculous awesome fun.

Makariel

What are these IndyCars doing in the formula one thread? Begone, ovals!

giphy.gif

In all seriousness: good move from Ericsson, he never got away from the stigma of being a "pay driver", despite him easily holding his own against e.g. Pascal Wehrlein (who won DTM and was supposed to be the next big thing) and doing a solid job in a car that wasn't up to the task until this very season. This year Leclerc overshadowed him a little, but Ericsson seems to be a decent guy judging from the few interviews the media did with him and I hope he will find success at Indy.

Makariel

Bottas is cementing his status as the number one roadblock in the top teams. Slower than the sauber right now. How he kept his drive for 2019 considering the talent streaming into f1 right now is beyond me.

Edit :
WTF was Ocon thinking he was doing? Taking the race leader off the road while being in 16th position? Well he won't trouble him next season at least.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ocon is a crazy good driver but this was way out of line. I recall that Ocon and Ves have had history prior in Formula 3 i believe.

Robbed of the victory.

Vettel's pitstop made zero sense really.

Lucky Lewis.

Breakage

Decided to look at the race results before the highlights. Another win for Lewis; Vettel seems to have given up; everyone's talking about the Verstappen and Ocon bust up. It even made the top half of the UK's Daily Mail site.

Last edited:

Makariel

Vettel didn't have the pace today. Kimi was faster throughout. Bottas was bad as usual, only managed to get some fast laps in after his second (otherwise pointless) pit stop. Ricciardo was doing well, as did Max until Ocon decided to YOLO his way into the corner.

giphy.gif

Lewis Hamilton has been blessed by the racing gods. Somehow people around him just crash into each other, make silly mistakes otherwise and and LH magically appears on top even though the Mercedes was only the 3rd fastest car today.

In other news: Jenson Button won the Super GT championship together with his team mate Yamamoto in the Raybrig Honda today:

Unlike F1, this championship could have been won by 4 teams at this last race :p

Arrivabene: "Right from the formation lap, we became aware of a problem with a sensor on Seb’s car. This meant that, for the WHOLE RACE, Sebastian had to run different settings to those we would have normally used and that made the car difficult to drive."

saw this on twitter, so I don't know if it is true

Makariel

I'm now looking forward to the 2019 season, with Leclerc at Ferrari, we have a new challenger taking on Lewis. Will be exciting to watch if Ferrari can keep up with the development of their red machine!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the simplified wings will go some way to making battles more feasible (and note that I say battles, not overtakes - the common misconception is that F1's problem is a lack of overtaking, hence DRS - this is horse-shit - the problem is that you can't follow so you can't battle).

Yagami_Sama

The difference in performance of Hamilton and Bottas is impressive. And when I saw Hamilton going to the pit very early I thought that the Mercedes had lost the race due to poor strategy.

Next season as of now, is looking very interesting. I am really curious to see how Vettel will deal with Leclerc, mainly if he starts winning races, and getting better results than Vettel. The same for Verstappen and Gasly. Imagine if Gasly "beats" Verstappen ? And the main attraction of the season, will be the Honda Engine, powering Redbull.

I really hope that McLaren delivers a better car, and allow Lando Norris to score a few podiums. And it will be funny that Alonso left and the team starts winning.

Top Bottom