• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 - Abu Dhabi GP 2016 |OT| No matter who wins, the race will end in fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuckthew

Hamilton's reliability (or lack thereof) has been a much more decisive factor than his poor starts. Rosberg had two poor starts himself anyway.

Of course, Hamilton could have nailed his starts starting from pole in Bahrain and Monza and be a net 16 points ahead of Rosberg; but if his engine had not died while dominating in Malaysia he'd have the same advantage.

In an error-free season with perfect reliability, Hamilton would have walked it. Oh well.

dalin80

Banned
Hamilton's reliability (or lack thereof) has been a much more decisive factor than his poor starts. Rosberg had two poor starts himself anyway.

Of course, Hamilton could have nailed his starts starting from pole in Bahrain and Monza and be a net 16 points ahead of Rosberg; but if his engine had not died while dominating in Malaysia he'd have the same advantage.

In an error-free season with perfect reliability, Hamilton would have walked it. Oh well.

Same as 2012, Hamilton would have won the championship with 3 races to go if the car didn't suffer from a 'being in the lead' allergy.

Um.. what??!

The only thing that put Lewis in this situation is the reliability, and only the reliability

You missed his bad starts then?

Hamilton could've helped himself by not crashing in Baku, having better starts and doing better in Singapore.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rosberg having a car failure or issue, it would be just but he's also been consistent. If Hamilton was more consistent he'd be top and winning the WDC. Car issues is something you have to think about at the start and be on your game to make up for the odd car failure. There's no doubt Hamilton's a better driver and Rosberg is so slow in the wet in Monaco and Brazil. Those bad starts for Hamilton were terrible though.

Par Score

You missed his bad starts then?

Hamilton could've helped himself by not crashing in Baku, having better starts and doing better in Singapore.

The only thing that is keeping this close is Hamilton's reliability issues.

He was robbed of a win only 5 races ago by his engine going bang, that alone would have put him top of the standings by 6 points, never mind the stuff that happened in China, Russia, etc.

The rest of his season hasn't been perfect but then very few are, the big difference has been Lewis vs Nico in the reliability stakes. If Nico had had 1 reliability related retirement from any race this year (apart from Monaco where he was just shit) then this race would be winner takes all.

Aiii

So not worth it

He was robbed of a win only 5 races ago by his engine going bang, that alone would have put him top of the standings by 6 points, never mind the stuff that happened in China, Russia, etc.

The rest of his season hasn't been perfect but then very few are, the big difference has been Lewis vs Nico in the reliability stakes. If Nico had had 1 reliability related retirement from any race this year (apart from Monaco where he was just shit) then this race would be winner takes all.

He was also gifted a win in Monaco. Nico lost points due to penalties. And one could argue that Nico could and would have won Spain over Lewis had they not clashed.

Norns

As a Hamilton fan, I obviously want him to win the Championship, but its a massive long shot. Nico wont finish any lower than 3rd as a worst case scenario in terms of out and out racing. It wont happen.

Nothing short of technical failure or him somehow being punted off the track will result in anything but a Nico championship.

Was kind if glad to see the farewell Massa got last race, he wont really get the same applause this weekend, this is more like a formality, Brazil was Massas going away party.

Dont really care about Jensen leaving to be honest. Just sick of his whining.

Lol what? He's been hilarious in a fucking terrible situation.

sam777

Had Hamilton took the lead Nico would have pushed much harder in the last 3 races, this is pretty much a fact. Second places are fine for him so he has never been on the limit as of late, so it is too easy to say Hamilton would win the title if not for reliability.

Norns

Hamilton might have done a bit better if he wasn't being a twat having a jolly time with Bieber and the like.

Some of his starts were hilariously bad.

dalin80

Banned
Hamilton might have done a bit better if he wasn't being a twat having a jolly time with Bieber and the like.

Some of his starts were hilariously bad.

Yes, that is clearly the reason he has had what 5 engine failures this year?

xrnzaaas

Nico-Lewis part of the press conference was quite awkward (and boring - Rosberg and his perfect PR guy answers). I also like Jenson's attitude. He knows and we know it's his last race (good luck to him, btw, gonna miss that guy).

andshrew

I hope there is a cool feature on Jenson for his last race! Gonna be emotional.

They can just re-use the features they ran at the last race in 2014 when it looked like he was going to retire before. Because there's been nothing to add to it since.

ramparter

Banned
I think Hamilton is bored by F1 now.
His dedication to chase the title to the last race says different. He didn't seem that focused at the start of the season but before the summer break he turned things around and after that it was mostly down to bad luck that he fell behind again. He deserves the respect just for doing the maximum at those last races by wining all of them.

They can just re-use the features they ran at the last race in 2014 when it looked like he was going to retire before. Because there's been nothing to add to it since.

I was so pissed that with that situation, in the end it would have been better to stop at that time or try another team. 2 years of worse than nothing.

Aiii

So not worth it
VES a second behind on #3 right now, doesn't look like that RBR wedge has much of a chance of happening.

-edit: down to 0.5 now, looking up.

Mohonky

Lol what? He's been hilarious in a fucking terrible situation.

Nah, he's been a whiny bastard ever since he got in a McLaren.

'No Grip' should be the guys middle name. Every now and again a driver complains about it because of setup issues, tyre deg etc, but the guy complains about it incessantly. No grip? Ok, do what everyone else does, just make the most of it.

I freaking hate Rosberg. Though I can't deny he's worked and performed very well for the year and is entirely worthy of the title, I can't square with him having shoved Hamilton off the track in Spain and deliberately trying to crash him out in Austria. That's just not cool. Were Hamilton equally prone to that kind of assholeish stuff I'd call it even, but he's not.

Norns

Nah, he's been a whiny bastard ever since he got in a McLaren.

'No Grip' should be the guys middle name. Every now and again a driver complains about it because of setup issues, tyre deg etc, but the guy complains about it incessantly. No grip? Ok, do what everyone else does, just make the most of it.
The car fucking blows. He's a wdc. Of course he's frustrated.

Zeknurn

FOM was testing a 360 degree camera on Kimi's car.

edit
CyGLWinXgAAmt9n.jpg:orig

spuckthew

According to AMuS, Eccestone and teams have agreed to standing starts after each safety car period in 2017.

Soooo, the SC takes them around and around, and instead of "safety car in this lap" the SC will take them to the grid and they'll all take grid slots?

That's gonna throw up some interesting variables. Imagine someone getting a mega start at the beginning, lead by 20s before a SC, but then get bogged down after the SC restart and lose the race. I don't like the SC at the best of times, but this is gonna be shiiiiiit.

Aiii

So not worth it
No more great post-SC overtakes like VES had this past race, I guess. Dumb move.

Only do this when you start the race behind the SC, everything else should be a normal end of SC situation as it always has been.

Mastah

Soooo, the SC takes them around and around, and instead of "safety car in this lap" the SC will take them to the grid and they'll all take grid slots?

That's gonna throw up some interesting variables. Imagine someone getting a mega start at the beginning, lead by 20s before a SC, but then get bogged down after the SC restart and lose the race. I don't like the SC at the best of times, but this is gonna be shiiiiiit.

Wait until Hamilton or Verstappen are dominating a race and there's Safety Car restart with 5 laps to go and they have terrible getaway and are out of podium at the end. This rule will be dropped quicker than you can spell "gigantic shitstorm on social media".

Zeknurn

Is it really worth having a safety car then now they have a vsc system?
Nobody's going to want to race ahead to park their car for minutes

There are situations where you need to bunch up the field for the marshals to be able to clean the track or when you need to lead the cars through obstacles.

If it randomizes the race winner I'm all for it.

There are situations where you need to bunch up the field for the marshals to be able to clean the track or when you need to lead the cars through obstacles

Yeah guess so. A more advanced vsc could do that but it's probably best to not risk having a nutter leading the pack

Didn't they all agree to this in 2014 for grid restarts in 2015, what happened?

The idea is that from next year, once lapped cars have been allowed to unlap themselves, cars will form up on the grid once a safety car period has ended.

There will then be the same procedure of a standing start as happens at the beginning of races.

Patrick S.

Banned
God that dude interviewing HAM and ROS right now (n-tv) is the worst English speaker I've heard in my life. Rosberg is trying his best not to laugh his ass off. Embarrasing. I had to switch to another channel because damn, the cringe is real.

Mastah

Sky made good point - imagine drivers lining up in their grid boxes all covered with tyre marbles lol.

Jezbollah

That standing start thing is just dumb. I mean, if they really wanted to do that then they should try two by two rolling restarts ala Indycar. even then it's sketchy as fuck in places such as Monaco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom