• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 - Abu Dhabi GP 2016 |OT| No matter who wins, the race will end in fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
800px-f1_logo.svgkgsac.png

2016 - Final Round - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit - Yas Island

1479212301010khxgx.jpg

The Track:
144847291006120xd1.png

• Laps - 55
  • Length - 5.554 km
  • Race Distance - 305.355 km
  • Lap Record - 1:40.279 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
  • 2015 Podium - 1. Rosberg, 2. Hamilton, 3. Raikkonen
  • 2015 Pole - Nico Rosberg, 1:40.237

Championship Standings
Code:
[B]Drivers[/B]
1. DE	Nico Rosberg		Mercedes 		367
2. GB	Lewis Hamilton		Mercedes		355
3. AU	Daniel Ricciardo	Red Bull Racing		246
4. DE	Sebastian Vettel	Ferrari			197
5. NL	Max Verstappen		Red Bull Racing		192

[B]Constructors[/B]
1. DE	Mercedes		722 [B](2016 Champions)[/B]
2. AT	Red Bull Racing		446
3. IT	Ferrari			375
4. IN	Force India		163
5. GB	Williams		136

Rosberg vs. Hamilton head-to-head
1479742169728ncaai.jpg

Rosberg will win the championship if:
  • He finishes on the podium
  • He finishes sixth or higher, and Lewis Hamilton does not win the race
  • He finishes 8th or higher and Lewis finishes 3rd or lower
  • Hamilton finishes fourth or lower
Hamilton will win the championship if:
  • He wins the race and Rosberg finishes fourth or lower
  • He finishes second, and Rosberg finishes seventh or lower
  • He finishes Eight, and Rosberg finishes ninth or lower
Other notable championship standing fight
Since Daniel Ricciardo has already gathered enough points to secure third in the championship, the other notable fight is for the 4th position in the standings, between Vettel, Verstappen and Raikkonen. A fierce fight has been going on between the Ferrari duo and Verstappen, so this one should be fun. Raikkonen has only an outside chance (but that payed off for him in 2007, so who knows) as he's in sixth: 14 points behind Max and 19 behind his teammate. Unless he wins the race, Vettel scores less than 6 points, and Max less than 11, he won't get 4th.

Vettel currently leads Max with 5 points. Verstappen has a win, so when they equal in points, he will take the lead ahead of Vettel, who has no wins this year.

Max Verstappen will beat Vettel for fourth in the championship if:
  • He wins the race
  • He finishes second and Vettel finishes fourth or lower
  • He finishes third and Vettel finishes fifth (equal points) or lower
  • He finishes fourth and Vettel finishes seventh or lower
  • He finishes fifth and Vettel finishes eight or lower
  • He finishes sixth and Vettel finishes ninth or lower
  • He finishes seventh and Vettel finishes tenth or lower.
If Vettel finishes ahead of him, Vettel takes fourth. If Max finishes eight or lower, Vettel is fourth regardless of his position.

We say goodbye to these two drivers after this race
article-0-00248a200005kumy.jpg

Jenson Button
  • 2009 World Champion (Brawn GP)
  • 304 Race Starts before Abu Dhabi (307 entries)
  • 15 Race Wins
  • 50 Podium Finishes
  • 1235 Career Points
  • 8 Pole Positions
  • 8 Fastest Laps
  • Has various degrees of success growing a beard once in a while

160901160158-sauber-fwds4m.jpg

Felipe Massa
  • 2008 Runner-up, 1 point removed from Lewis Hamilton, with one more race win
  • 249 Race Starts before Abu Dhabi (251 entries)
  • 11 Race Wins
  • 41 Podium Finishes
  • 1122 Career Points
  • 16 Pole Positions
  • 15 Fastest Laps
  • Tried to headbutt a suspension spring once, wasn't very successful

Notable news since last race
  • Ron Dennis is removed from his position as McLaren chairman after being team principal, CEO and chairman respectively since 1981. He remains a 25% shareholder in the company.
  • Zak Brown appointed Executive Director of McLaren
  • Marcus Ericsson stays on at Sauber for 2017.
  • Canadian GP confirmed to remain on the 2017 calendar by Montreal mayor.

Weekend Schedule
Free Practice 1:
t1480064400z0.png

Free Practice 2:
t1480078800z0.png

Free Practice 3 (November 26th):

t1480154400z0.png

Qualifying (November 26th):
t1480165200z0.png

Race (November 27th):
t1480251600z0.png

maxresdefaultjyug0.jpg

Line_HTX

Last time to wake up at 7 AM on Sunday.

At least the title deciding factor makes it an interesting finale, though wish it wasn't the Mercs going at it. :p

Chris R

Small typo in the Lewis' chances block.

Don't know if I'll wake up at 4 for this but if I'm up like I was for Brazil I'll be watching for sure.

Chuck

Still without luck
I've been on the losing end so many times this year that yeah, Lewis is probably going to win the championship.

Jezbollah

Congrats Nico Rosberg, World Champion.

Lewis is more than happy to be DJing and appearing in Call Of Duty #blessed

Never thought I'd see Nico fucking Rosberg become world champion, but here we are.

To come back and win after being beaten twice by your teammate is a great achievement (don't think that ever happened), so kudos.

Hope I didn't jinx it

Ruruja

Knowing this season, what's more likely is Lewis will be 1st and Nico 4th and on the final lap Lewis' engine will fail.

dubc35

Hoping for something more than a Merc 1-2 borefest but fully expecting it at the same time. This is why Interalgos should still be the finale.

Pterion

Rosberg has this in the bag. Sucks for Hamilton but I'm sure he'll cope just fine, especially if he wins the race. I would laugh my ass off though if Ham managed to pull it off and get the WDC. Should be a fun weekend!

“Nico Rosberg will win the world championship this weekend…
Well, unless one of us crashes into him. I mean, Lewis [Hamilton] is very rich and has a lot of money, flies around in a private jet, so I’m sure he can afford to pay me. The only possibility, however, would be when Nico laps me because we’re not fast enough. Anyway, I’m open to offers. And anyway, I’m retiring… sorry, taking a sabbatical.”

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...d-tour-killing-birds-and-ramming-nico-rosberg

Jense :(

The Red Bulls aren't getting close to the Mercs here so Rosberg's engine needs to grenade itself in Q1 to set up a compelling race.

Shaneus

Subbing to this thread. Bit bummed about the time though, looks like it starts at midnight Monday for us Aussies :(

DBT85

Hoping for something to happen that makes Hamilton the champion again but can't see it happening.

Nico shall be champion.

Need a bit of Mad Max and Aussie Grit#2 action.

So odd seeing Toto say he doesn't want there to be any car trouble hampering the championship battle when its car trouble that's hampered the battle all year lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
If Hamilton is ahead of Rosberg, he should try and back him up into the RBR drivers and hope for magic, it's essentially his only shot.

---

Also, for those interested, Drivers Press conference will start at 11AM GMT today, split in two parts:

Part 1: Jenson Button (McLaren), Felipe Massa (Williams), Felipe Nasr (Sauber), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing)
Part 2: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

spuckthew

This'll be the first race in a long time that I might not see due to going to my girlfriend's parents in France for Thanksgiving (Americans living in France and it's just more convenient for everyone to do it on the weekend).

The last time was Hungary '09 and Hamilton won, so maybe it's a good omen ;)))

Mohonky

As a Hamilton fan, I obviously want him to win the Championship, but its a massive long shot. Nico wont finish any lower than 3rd as a worst case scenario in terms of out and out racing. It wont happen.

Nothing short of technical failure or him somehow being punted off the track will result in anything but a Nico championship.

Was kind if glad to see the farewell Massa got last race, he wont really get the same applause this weekend, this is more like a formality, Brazil was Massas going away party.

Dont really care about Jensen leaving to be honest. Just sick of his whining.

Aiii

So not worth it
Something to watch, is this half hour sit-down "season review" interview RBR made with Max and Ricciardo interviewing eachother: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnoVUg2oxQ

Seem pretty great questions, like Max's feelings on Spa and Daniel's on Monaco. They didn't make it a PR good-news show, really good.

danowat

Banned
I'll be honest, I am not that keen on any of the (top) drivers, but I really hope Lewis doesn't win the championship, because I don't think I could stand to see his stupid smug face.

Zeknurn

It would be better for the sport if we didn't get another 4 consecutive title winner following the previous one.

Everyone will be tiptoeing around Rosberg. Going to a take a puncture or car failure so look out for those snipers.

Congratulations to Nico on winning the WDC. I think Lewis has to blame himself for those poor starts, nobody else was doing that many or as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom