• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 - Abu Dhabi GP 2016 |OT| No matter who wins, the race will end in fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
15259532_10154013924877411_2499239320787608125_o.jpg

I like this angle more.

Shaneus

Had to hunt it down after reading this. Wow. Seems like Lewis quitting wasn't just in the heat of the moment either considering the actions Mercedes took within that week.
What happened? I missed this.

BTW I meant a VES implosion of the performance kind, not of the "smashing everything in my caravan" kind. But it's unlikely to happen I guess, just depends on how level headed he remains.

tonka

BTW I meant a VES implosion of the performance kind, not of the "smashing everything in my caravan" kind. But it's unlikely to happen I guess, just depends on how level headed he remains.

Story goes that HAM threatened to quit the team after Spain, and Mercedes in response added a year to ROS contract and brought WEH in for the test to give him experience in the car, with the implication being there was someone lined up to replace HAM.

Hasney

Basically, Lewis was asked about the rumour that he threatened to quit after Barcelona and not race for the rest of the season and he said "that's private". Ted says that well placed sources say it's true but we'll have to wait for the Lewis book in 10 years to know for certain, but the fact that they gave Rosberg the 2 year contract the week after that he wanted instead of the 1 year Merc wanted to give him and suddenly hiring WEH to be the test driver out of nowhere does all click into place if Lewis did say he'd quit.

Ennosuke

Congrats Nico Rosberg.

In the last years he had some bad luck and in the important moments Lewis was always faster, more clever and more aggressive. But this year Nico finally did it. I never thought he could actually win the title, but he did.

Fox Mulder

Story goes that HAM threatened to quit the team after Spain, and Mercedes in response added a year to ROS contract and brought WEH in for the test to give him experience in the car, with the implication being there was someone lined up to replace HAM.

Should have told him to hit it. Wehrlein, Ocon, or anyone else on the grid would do flips to get that seat.

I guess you just have to be a whiny cunt to be a multiple WDC.

Ark

He seems to be keeping himself better than I would, props to HAM

Honestly, after all the emotions have settled I doubt he's really that pissed. He knows he did everything he could do this year to win the title, but it just didn't work it. The guy that's pushed him hard as fuck for the past three years has taken instead, and I doubt he thinks Nico is undeserving.

Chuck

Still without luck
Finished the race and boy was it an exciting one. Congrats to Nico, but it really is fitting for him to win while coming in second.

Sucks Danny got screwed with the tire strat again. Hope his team is more competent next year when he'll be in a position to win a lot more.

Next year is Ferrari's year....atleast, that's what I tell myself every year

This McLaren fan just learned to enjoy the show.

In all honesty, this year watching Alonso and Button broing out in the mid-field was a blast. It wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari are getting a year like that.

Hasney

Finished the race and boy was it an exciting one. Congrats to Nico, but it really is fitting for him to win while coming in second.

Sucks Danny got screwed with the tire strat again. Hope his team is more competent next year when he'll be in a position to win a lot more.

Danny flat spotted into the first corner and had to come in early.

We're at a stage where people are actually walking up to Lewis Hamilton (of all people) and essentially asking:

"We could see you were trying to win the world championship today. Is there a reason you were doing that?"

Headline: Lewis Hamilton drives his car in the safest way possible to actually try to win the world championship. Toto Wolff currently deciding whether to punish him for doing so

As if Nico didn have enough help winning this year ffs.

In the end, Nico will actually be happier there was some kind of fighting happening at some point in a year where all he had to do was not have the exploding engines to win.

Hamilton actually fighting actually took away the "empty championship" narrative that would've been all over if the race was the absolute snorefest it was otherwise destined to be at the front.

Seriously though, a driver is under investigation by his team for trying to win the championship over his team mate.

Fuck is that about?

Addnan

Mercedes trying to become the most hated team on the grid. Fucking Hamilton will achieve that very easily. If they punish Hamilton for trying to win the championship i'm sure that would have a great effect on their fan base..

Aiii

So not worth it
Fuck is that about?

Yeah, it's not like F1 is a team sport or something silly like tha... Oh, wait.

He ignored his instructions. He ignored a direct call from his boss. He's now facing discipline, just like any other employee in the world would. It's not rocket science, it's not some devious Merc conspiracy. It's an employee disobeying his boss, knowingly. Done.

Zeknurn

With Wolff joking about "maybe Hamilton should go drive for Horner" when asked about his Abu Dhabi tactic and Zak Brown stating he would welcome Hamilton back to McLaren.

Lets make it happen.

Hamilton -> McLaren or Singing career.
Vettel -> Mercedes for a German powerhouse with two German champions.

Do we know if Ferrari has triggered Vettel's escape clause?

Aiii

So not worth it
Last I checked Horner didn't have any seats for Lewis, so unless you expect him to replace Dany Kvyat in STR, not sure where you expect Lewis to go.

Zeknurn

I was suggesting that he would replace Alonso when he retires.

If the rumours are true about Wolff moving up Wehrlein for the test and offering an extra year for Rosberg's contract in response to Hamilton's quitting. It's going to be a difficult next season if Hamilton were to suffer a power unit failure in the starting three races.

Last I checked Horner didn't have any seats for Lewis, so unless you expect him to replace Dany Kvyat in STR, not sure where you expect Lewis to go.

Ferrari wanted Riccardo.. so

Vettel > Mercedes >> HAM > Redbull >> RIC > Ferrari

Ted's Notebook had an interesting part.. let me dig it out

EDIT: got taken down..

Basically he was saying that after Hamilton and Rosberg crash Hamilton said he's out and won't drive for the team. That's why Mercedes signed a 2 year contract with Rosberg instead of the planned 1 year extension. Things are not good at all between Hamilton and his team, so if next year the car is not the fastest, I can easily see him jump ship and any team would take him

Joni

He ignored his instructions. He ignored a direct call from his boss. He's now facing discipline, just like any other employee in the world would. It's not rocket science, it's not some devious Merc conspiracy. It's an employee disobeying his boss, knowingly. Done.

Betting sites should try a lawsuit for Mercedes' attempt at frauding in a sports event.

Mascot

Obeying his boss would go directly against Hamilton's gangsta rap sensibilities. Snoop Dogg wouldn't do it so why should Hamilton? He doesn't wear those sunglasses to shade his eyes, you know.

Mohonky

This shit still?

Constructors title decided. Toto Wolff is an absolute control freak. Of course he wants Merc 1 -2, but there was a WDC title at stake also. Name ONE driver that wouldn't have done what Hamilton had done.

Really what is he going to do?

Get Vettel? A driver that has blatantly told the team to take their orders and shove them numerous times over the years.

Ricciardo? If he's in a car capable of getting him a WDC, he's going to be no different.

Verstappen? LOL. Good luck getting him to listen to anything.

Alonso? No way he wouldn't have done exactly the same as Hamilton. Have a look how well he worked for the team in 2007

There's no one that would go to Merc under a number 2 drivers order. Whats the point in being in the fastest car on the grid if you know the team are going to tell you you can't do what it takes to take a WDC? Whats the point?

I think it's interesting the rumour menionted in the post race that supposedly after Spain Hamilton told Merc he was happy to just quit. I can imagine how the conversation went, "we don't want you two racing" followed by "then what am I here for? If I can't race I'm not interested in being here."

The only time any driver has listened to an order has been when it was very clear they weren't in for title contention but their team mate was or when the order was given closer to the start or middle of the season when there was much more to play for.

No driver, in a Championship deciding race is going to listen to a team order that guarantees they lose the Championship.

I feel like these people who looked at last nights race and thought it was poor form live in some sort of bubble. Not that long ago drivers in a title deciding race would just flat out spear themselves into another driver, even as team mates! Now you have a driver that just drove as fast as he needed to, made no brash moves and people are screaming bloody murder.......

norinrad

Congrats to Nico

Not a big fan of Hamilton being such a petulant brat.

Next year though, Rooting for Max and Ricardo

Subtle hate for for those who do all they can to win in life and by managing to stay within the rules too. Yep what a brat he is for winning in life.

Obeying his boss would go directly against Hamilton's gangsta rap sensibilities. Snoop Dogg wouldn't do it so why should Hamilton? He doesn't wear those sunglasses to shade his eyes, you know.

That's a nice shiny dog whistle.

Anyway, the team already won their battle in the constructors.

If it's a team sport, why hinder the drivers ability to fight for their own championship in the last race of the season where it was won by only 5 points?

Why be attempting to influence the championship at that stage in the first place.

Mohonky

That's a nice shiny dog whistle.

Anyway, the team already won their battle in the constructors.

If it's a team sport, why hinder the drivers ability to fight for their own championship in the last race of the season where it was won by only 5 points?

Why be attempting to influence the championship at that stage in the first place.

They should just do away with the Championship according to some, let the executives sit around in a big meeting and just plan out all the results so event sponsors walk away with as much premium as possible. No need to have any actual races, we wouldn't want drivers changing the final finishing order.....we'll leave that to the sponsors.

Orgun

This shit still?

Constructors title decided. Toto Wolff is an absolute control freak. Of course he wants Merc 1 -2, but there was a WDC title at stake also. Name ONE driver that wouldn't have done what Hamilton had done.

Really what is he going to do?

Get Vettel? A driver that has blatantly told the team to take their orders and shove them numerous times over the years.

Ricciardo? If he's in a car capable of getting him a WDC, he's going to be no different.

Verstappen? LOL. Good luck getting him to listen to anything.

Alonso? No way he wouldn't have done exactly the same as Hamilton. Have a look how well he worked for the team in 2007

There's no one that would go to Merc under a number 2 drivers order. Whats the point in being in the fastest car on the grid if you know the team are going to tell you you can't do what it takes to take a WDC? Whats the point?

I think it's interesting the rumour menionted in the post race that supposedly after Spain Hamilton told Merc he was happy to just quit. I can imagine how the conversation went, "we don't want you two racing" followed by "then what am I here for? If I can't race I'm not interested in being here."

The only time any driver has listened to an order has been when it was very clear they weren't in for title contention but their team mate was or when the order was given closer to the start or middle of the season when there was much more to play for.

No driver, in a Championship deciding race is going to listen to a team order that guarantees they lose the Championship.

I feel like these people who looked at last nights race and thought it was poor form live in some sort of bubble. Not that long ago drivers in a title deciding race would just flat out spear themselves into another driver, even as team mates! Now you have a driver that just drove as fast as he needed to, made no brash moves and people are screaming bloody murder.......

You put this a lot more eloquently than I ever could, ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom