• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 - Abu Dhabi GP 2016 |OT| No matter who wins, the race will end in fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Must say still a surprise. But had the feeling he really was in there to just win it ones. And then not really care anymore. But retiring right away i didnt expect.

Wow, that's a shocker. Seems weird but at the same time I can see the appeal - he knows another championship happening for him would be touch and go and doesn't want to crawl around circuits endlessly for years to no avail like Alonso or Raikonnen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wow respect to Nico for having his priorities in order.

I was watching Buttons final interviews wondering if he wishes that he'd quit after his title. Must be tough for these guys who have had to compete tooth and nail to get to where they are only to languish in the midfield with no hope of winning what they actually want.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
well, he knows hes not good enough and next year with new rules , who knows how good the merc will still be.
Plus he was lucky this year and he knows that people like ham, ric, verstappen and even vettel are just quicker then him on an equal playing field. So another Championchip is very unlikely to happen for him..

DSN2K

personally I think good for him. He was never gonna be Hamilton or Alonso or Vettel....He's reached the top of his career. He beat lewis, he's got a young family and is millionaire...maybe he just wants to enjoy life!

Holy crap! Did not expect that.

Mercedes will still be the team to beat next year. But props to him. He knows he cannot beat Lewis next year. He gave it everything he had this year and knows he cannot and will not want to go through that again.

I guess wins and podiums don't matter to him.

personally I think good for him. He was never gonna be Hamilton or Alonso or Vettel....He's reached the top of his career. He beat lewis, he's got a young family and is millionaire...maybe he just wants to enjoy life!

Exactly,
He knows deep down that Vettel or Alonso, or Hamilton, can beat him on any given day.

But let's not take away from the fact that Lewis came back this year and took the championship lead. A lot of people would sink after that. instead Nico came back to win a string of races. I will give him props for that.

Also, I've never seen a happier champion. Man, if he knew it was his last race, he sure didn't show it.

Fisico

Holy shit, that's not the 1st April right ???

Wehrlein going from "urrr I didn't get Force India's seat" to "Please let it be Sauber instead of Manor" and in the end "Well guys guess I'm the 2nd Mercedes driver now !"

Mercedes is also probably confused, they kinda chose Ocon over Wehrlein going back to Wehrlein is weird and just dfsdf

I'd say for consistency's sake they should go for Button on a one year deal.

He must have been sick of people hating on him. I really like him and always felt sad about this.

His partner is someone who is a F1 legend, and will go down as one of the top 5 drivers of all time. He knows what we all know:

Nico's facebook statement says it all: He shut his family out, his wife, daughter, and they gave him space to recover between races to bring his maximum to each race.

Lewis, attended parties, hung around with celebrities and wrote music and nearly won the championship.

Think about what that does to person's psyche.

I am legitimately blown away by the news. However, after being so candid about the pressures, it's probably for the best. The sharp end of the grid isn't for everyone.

Every Tom (Alonso), Dick (Vettel), and Harry (Max) are going to knocking on their door this week, but after some of the bullshit team management we've seen from them, I think they're better off with a clear #2 guy next to Lewis. Wehrlein is the obvious choice, and a good one too.

valkyre

It took a huge toll for him those last 3 years it seems. Totally respectable decision, the guy practically pushed his family on the sideline for this. Time to start enjoying life again I guess.

Cool dude. I like him.

Shocking news, but so many drivers in F1 hang on too long, not knowing when to stop. Nico goes out at his peak, knowing he beat his arch-rival fair and square, well done to him.

Am sure a lot of drivers up and down the grid will be speaking to their lawyers this afternoon discussing get out clauses and the like.

Am guessing Mercedes won't be so quick to punish Hamilton for his behaviour in Abu Dhabi now...

olore

Wow, just learned of his departure, totally unexpected but giving it some thought I understand him. Still... didn´t see this coming whatsoever.

So... plenty of speculation of who will fill that seat. Fun times ahead

akileese

I mean, I thought this too. But what's wrong with him? He doesn't have a drive this season and for some reason, Mercedes (and Force India) favour Ocon.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Ryo? Werhlein featured in every race for Manor. Ocon came in after the 12th race for Ryo, who never featured after that.

I mean, I thought this too. But what's wrong with him? He doesn't have a drive this season and for some reason, Mercedes (and Force India) favour Ocon.

Yeah, it's a good question.

My personal suspicion is that Wehrlein has always been the backup plan for Mercedes, and therefor that limits what they can do with him. I'd guess FI has said "sure, we'll be stage 2 for young talent for you (Merc). However this is a serious operation, so we're refusing you the ability to pluck the driver back mid-season (unlike Manor)."

If that was the case, that was a smart move by Mercedes because now they need that backup plan.

Mohonky

Whats this?

Rumour mill saying Bottas to Merc and terms already in place for Massa back to Williams?

2016 is whack is this happens.

Nico fastest World Champ to retirement followed by shortest F1 retirment of Massa straight back into a car the next year?

Huh? Whats next? Alonso to Ferrari, Vettel to McLaren?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom