• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2019 |OT| Sons of Liberty (Media)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh it's impressive that they've got the cars so close to the old pace despite aero changes which should theoretically make them slower. I do hope those changes are big enough to make overtaking feasible again.

Mohonky

This always happens.

There are teams of engineers who do nothing but look at working on making these things faster that are at it 24/7 and they are some of the best in fluid dynamics in the world.

Brawn said he could've prevented the double diffuser loophole in 2009 if the technical meetings were taken more seriously by the FiA..

Well, now he's at the helm and this is the first big change in his era, let's see how it goes. If the cars stay as fast and following them closely is not as disadvantageous as before then hats off to him

Last edited:

Makariel

WTF is going on with Williams? Paddy Lowe is taking a leave of absence just before the season starts...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Eddie Straw really needs to tuck his shirt in and lose several stone.

ruvikx

Banned
I just want a spectacular season with fun racing. I feel we're currently in the Ferrari circa Schumacher years again, where one man dominates & the races are boring (2000-2004). Funnily enough, despite his 4 consecutive titles with Red Bull, the races at the time (2010-2013) when Sebastian Vettel dominated were actually a hell of a lot of fun. Vettel might have been 20 seconds ahead of everyone, but the battles between Ferrari, Red Bull & McLaren were epic (Jenson Button's Canadian Grand Prix win 2011 was legendary). Last season was drab.

Oh & I hate the Halo as hell. It's f*cking ugly & disfigures the cars.

Fox Mulder

WTF is going on with Williams? Paddy Lowe is taking a leave of absence just before the season starts...

What a sad shit team they became and are solidly the last place car.

Just make a decent car and the Merc engine will do the rest, like Force India has done the last few years on a smaller budget.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What a sad shit team they became and are solidly the last place car.

Just make a decent car and the Merc engine will do the rest, like Force India has done the last few years on a smaller budget.

They did that for a couple of seasons and benefitted from the Merc engine being by far the best, but now the difference is smaller they have to build a decent car and.. yeah that's not going so well. FI are simply better-run, regardless of budget.

I need someone to explain to me how Ocon is out and Grosjean remains in.

Haas would be so much better off with Ocon than that fruitloop Grosjean.

I feel like with Ocon and Mags they could cement themselves as the best of the rest.

Fox Mulder

I need someone to explain to me how Ocon is out and Grosjean remains in.

Haas would be so much better off with Ocon than that fruitloop Grosjean.

I feel like with Ocon and Mags they could cement themselves as the best of the rest.

Haas probably felt loyal to Grosjean for coming to their team starting up and they are happy with their progress even if he missed lots of points.

It also sounded like Mercedes got in the way of teams looking at Ocon or even Wehrlein before they dropped him.

Marcus Ericcson qualified 18th in his first IndyCar race. Thought he might do better than that.

IndyCar is a lot of fun because of how equal the cars all are, I suggest watching if you can find a way.

Makariel

IndyCar is a lot of fun because of how equal the cars all are, I suggest watching if you can find a way.
There are many racing series that are very close. Including Formula E, which had 5 different winners in the first 5 races and where the next race in Hong Kong will be starting momentarily. This, however, is the Formula 1 thread, so none of that matters :p

Prison Mike

Banned
Where I work i 3d print parts for Hamiltons car so we have quiet parts of the year but all those wins he's got and not one car as thankyou haha skinflint

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Marcus Ericcson qualified 18th in his first IndyCar race. Thought he might do better than that.

If you're in the UK Indycar is now shown on Sky F1. Agree that Indycar is amazing and the ovals really add something special.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2021-concepts-five-times-dirty-air/4349133/

"I've heard it commented that we should get rid of the wings and the downforce and just rely on mechanical grip and then the cars will be able to race each other," Brawn said.

"The problem with that is they'll be slow. And the speed of the Formula 1 car is what takes your breath away.

"We don't want to lose the speed of the Formula 1 car. We want it to be the fastest racing car on the planet, the most impressive racing car on the planet - and you can only do that by harnessing the aerodynamic performance.

"So I don't think we can take a simplistic view and just get rid of all the downforce and think that'll solve it. What we need is the downforce to be delivered in a way that cars can race each other."

"Overtaking can sometimes be used as the measure of success, but in fact close racing and the ability of cars to run behind each other and run side-by-side and get close and attack is the thing that everyone gets excited about.

"Even if it ultimately didn't culminate in an overtaking being achieved - but [as long as] they're fighting each other."

He fucking gets it.

Makariel

Which drunken lunatic is responsible for pricing the NowTV packages? The F1 season pass costs £195, if you only watch the races you can get 21 day passes for £8.99 each for 188.79 - how come individual passes are cheaper than the "season pass" thing?

Grieves

BBC

Less track time coverage for free view in the UK. This is only going to reduce the audience in the UK.

On the plus side if they show the highlights three hours after the race it will be an improvement on the five hours we had to wait last year.

I'm struggling to find enthusiasm for this season despite looking forward to seeing Vettal and Leclerc battle it out.

Guess I need to find a way to watch the full race without paying Sky. I might have to check if any of the local pubs show it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
BBC

Less track time coverage for free view in the UK. This is only going to reduce the audience in the UK.

On the plus side if they show the highlights three hours after the race it will be an improvement on the five hours we had to wait last year.

I'm struggling to find enthusiasm for this season despite looking forward to seeing Vettal and Leclerc battle it out.

Guess I need to find a way to watch the full race without paying Sky. I might have to check if any of the local pubs show it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters look for free to air, see if those channels have an online stream (ie the BBC has iPlayer), VPN in with NordVPN if you're ok spending money on something that's useful in many other ways or Windscribe if you want a freebie.

Makariel

umcy1y7qa3m21.png

R.I.P. Charlie

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-holds-off-vettel-to-claim-first-p1/ - Free Practice 1 results
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-up-the-ante-in-australia/ - Free Practice 2 results

FP1 was close at the top, impressive to see Leclerc so close to Vettel, disappointing show from Ricciardo and wow Williams are really really screwed.

FP2 the mercs absolutely dominated, which is a bit worrying. Big gap between Vettel and Leclerc and Williams still spectacularly fucked. Good to see Ricciardo get closer to Hulk.

Kimi seems to be doing a good job of destroying Giovinazzi. Stroll gave Perez a bloody nose in both sessions - fingers crossed Perez takes the fight to him in due course. Lando's off to a fairly horrible start, being 18th in both sessions with only the Williams behind him. Sainz is destroying him. I won't be too upset to see that as he's a bit of a dick on the iRacing forums.

Makariel

Ouch, so much for the most exciting season in years... I think I'll just watch the highlights in the evening and skip the whole "watching live" idea. Mercedes will likely keep dominating until 2021 then?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have a look at quali results and decide whether to watch or not. Likely I'll watch the first couple of races to get a feel for how the cars are doing and then decide whether I wish to continue for the season.

Fox Mulder

Australia just sucks and people thought f1 was doomed after the first race last year. Last season was great with the car development battle and fun races.

Mercedes and Ferrari will be close again. We should get a breath of fresh air with Leclerc and maybe Redbull being a step closer too.

Yikes, that was a disaster from what all the experts had been claiming.

Looks the same as ever. Well, atleast all the kid drivers should make it interesting.

Haas clearly the best of the rest as Renault embarrass themselves.

EDIT: The next-gen battle looks to be Norris/Leclerc/Verstappen. I hope either McLaren gets it together or Norris goes to an actual contender at some point.

Last edited:
Every year I think to myself that things might be different
Last season was great with the car development battle and fun races.
Since 1996, the correlation between the Team who wins pole position at the first race and goes on to win the WDC has been very strong. It suggests that the team that has an advantage at the beginning of the year maintains it through the year.
In fact, the only year it didn't happen since 96 was 2000. It sucks watching a season where the only hope is Mercedes screws up, but it never makes a large difference in the end result. At this stage it's becoming Ferrari 00-04 levels of mundane.

Btw,

They patched up the F1TV app like a day before practice.

It went from being completely useless to mindblowingly amazing. I thankfully only bought the $3 option last month but even that felt like robbery because I literally could not use the app at all the entire month on my iphone Xs.

After the app started working again this week, I upgraded to the premium and I have seen the light. Being able to have the data metrics and all the driver cams at your finger tips...live...

Feels so, so good. This is next-gen television.

Makariel

Well, I had high hopes for Ferrari and Red Bull to bring the fight to Mercedes, but it seems they will only be fighting with each other. Haas best of the rest again, let's see what happens tomorrow. They will either be rock stars or look like fucking wankers after the pit stops.

Renault dropped the ball as well, outclassed by mclaren and last year's force India car with new front wing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Williams are spectacularly fucked, Manor levels of fucked. 2 pay drivers again (one bringing sponsors, the other funded by Mercedes), loss of major sponsor, no spare parts, can't run over kerbs. All the hallmarks of deep financial shit that suggests they may not last the season. That troubles me.

Total dud of a race. Good god.

EDIT: Even the announcers seem to be struggling to find anything interesting to talk about here...

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Australia sucked last year too.

Didn't see Bottas dunking on everyone though. Ferrari was invisible and Gasly on softs stuck behind Kvyat
on hards all race was pretty poor really.

Mohonky

Well, unfortunately not a spectacular race as always but being the first race the interesting bits are looking at the relative performances.

Mercedes; obvious talking point here is Bottas. Drivers talk about having one of those days where nothing seems to go right, but for Valteri it was the opposite, just didn't put a foot wrong, Hamilton would have called it a #blessed session if it were him, he was just in another race altogether. Not even sure he understands why he was so fast. Hamilton seems almost cursed in Australia, always the pole taker only to finish runner up. Today though, Valteri just plain had the measure of him.

Ferrari; Seb summed it up; "why are we so slow". Nothing much to say about their performance this weekend, they were just nowhere. I'm not ready to call doom and gloom (I'm a Hamilton fan so I don't even care if they are that slow) but this time last year they were well off the qualifying pace also. I'll withhold judgement on how quick they are relative to Merc and Redbull as I don't believe they are that far off, or even if they are off the pace, but just went the wrong way this weekend. Was expecting Leclerc to hustle Vettel a little more than he did, but then again, I expected the same with Ham and Valteri and look at how that turned out.

Redbull; they are definitely up there in performance. Honda have seemingly upped their game on the reliability front with all 4 cars coming home and all being competitive at the very least. I think Ricciardo leaving put Redbull (and subsequently Torro Rosso) in a bad spot driver wise and I think RB thought Ricciardo staying was more a formality than a question mark. Gasly just doesn't seem ready to be in that Redbull. You get the feeling if it were Max or Ricciardo starting where they did with that car, they'd have really thrown that thing to the front of the pack but Gasly was nowhere and to make matters worse for him, it was because he couldn't overtake the driver RB tossed aside...…..

Haas; strong at Australia again but nearly reliving last years pit dramas. You could tell they were making damn sure they weren't releasing without those wheels been on, but Grosjean effectively lost out again because of that front left and it seemed to just peel away from the rim later in the race. Good speed from them though.

Renault; not a good start really. Expected better qualy pace from them and they have work to do. Doesn't look like they've moved forward at all. Daniel suffering the Australian home race curse, 200m before what would at almost any other track have seen him just shoot up the outside had his front bar ripped off and later retired.

Racing Point; nothing much doing really.

Torro Rosso; had a feeling Kyvat might impress on his return, he has always been able to put on some speed but consistency has been bit of a downfall for him. If he can keep it up I suspect he'll have a good year, even dare I say, make RB consider whether they should swap him and Gasly. Time will tell. Albons first race, was always going to be tough for him, we'll see how he goes. I have a feeling he might just be keeping a seat warm though.

Mclaren; Norris qualified well, Carlos....not so much. Still amazing to see them floundering. Carlos blows an engine (or turbo, who knows right now), lacking pace. Gonna be another bad year for them and without Alonso around to drag that sorry thing up the grid, not looking good.

Sauber; Kind of expected more from them really, thought they would have more pace but like Alonso at Mclaren, it looks like they might have to rely on their senior pace setter to pull them around, certainly not a lot doing with Giovinazzi. Never has been tbh.

Williams; literally nothing good to say outside of it's to see Kubica back. Otherwise, just existing is their only claim to fame. I'm more concerned about whether they'll continue to do so at this rate.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's clear that Ferrari told Leclerc to back off when he got close to Vettel. Vettel was very poor and there's a risk that he may be facing Riccardo mk 2.

The Honda engine looks like it's doing a decent job while the Renault engine looks poor, one blown up and the rest nowhere. DR may have made a mistake.

Cars were following close which is good, the track isn't one that allows much overtaking so we'll see how it works on other tracks but there's some hope there.

Agree that Ghasly was poor, and Kvyat made his point pretty effectively. A swap isn't out of the question.

Williams.. yeah they're absolutely fucked.

Mohonky

Yeh as soon as I saw Leclerc closing Vettel you knew the order was coming. Don't blame them, they would risk an accident and wear and tear for nothing; too far behind to catch Verstappen but too fast to be caught by anyone else, no point them pushing it.

The cars did seem to be able to follow well, it's just Melbourne is a shit track for over taking, but it wasn't like previous years where cars got within 2 seconds of the car ahead and then just got stuck there, they seemed able to follow without annihilating their tires and maintaining pace so that seems like it could mean good things.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Shitty team order aside Ferrari lack of pace is very concerning

they re nowhere near the Mercedes

what the hell happened with the car this year?!?!!

Top Bottom