• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Max gave Mercedes something to think about. He's got so much pace and he's getting everything out of that Honda. Keeping them on it.

m4hoy6unh0g51gnj9kx5j10.png

Last edited:
getting everything out of that Honda. Keeping them on it.

I don't really see or hear anyone talking about the Honda engines anymore. They have made gigantic strides in the last couple of years, going from by far the most unreliable and slowest engine on the grid, to arguably the second best engine on the grid. No longer do they blow up, they have enough grunt to pass easily when they need to and it's fast enough to win races, which is something Renault and Ferrari are incapable of right now. Hats off to Honda on their turn around.

StonedRider

I knew in advance it will be the most interesting race of the season because I was invited to wedding ceremony and missed the whole weekend.

Also, Vettel should retire now, looks like he doesn't like being the racing driver anymore.

Never paid any attention to F1 in my life, but now after watching this Netflix series, which is addictive as hell, I love it!!

Helps immensely when you know the personalities involved (and dramas)

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

So Sergio is coming back for the Spanish GP. I'm glad he's dealt with the virus, but at the same time it's a shame that Hulk got only one full race.

Last edited:
I don't really see or hear anyone talking about the Honda engines anymore. They have made gigantic strides in the last couple of years, going from by far the most unreliable and slowest engine on the grid, to arguably the second best engine on the grid. No longer do they blow up, they have enough grunt to pass easily when they need to and it's fast enough to win races, which is something Renault and Ferrari are incapable of right now. Hats off to Honda on their turn around.
The RBR package is more competitive now than it was Hungary/Austria. That's thanks mainly to the work that Newey and his team have done on the performance of the car on medium and high speed corners.

As for this weekend, Pirelli are bringing the hardest range they know to Barcelona. It's going to be incredibly hot. Much hotter than we've ever seen for a Spanish Grand Prix in recent times ad beyond that, Barcelona is prety tough on tyres. So, if it is a race where everybody's got to run the hard tyre as much as they can for as long as they can and they run the medium just for a very short stint, it'll be really interesting in qualifying to see what Red Bull might be able to get Mercedes to do. It may well be that Red Bull go completely conventional on this occasion trying to do what they can to get Mercedes to maybe run one car on a slightly odd compound in Q2. We'll have to see.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

At least Max was "only" 5 tenths slower instead of a full second in the last practice. ;)

Ocon disappointed again with his rookie mistake. He's really not shining after his F1 comeback.

xrnzaaas

As much as I hate Turkish government it would be awesome if Istanbul Park came back, it was an awesome track. Just imagine turn 8 being taken by current F1 cars, that alone would be insanely fun to watch.

Last edited:
It was good to hear Toto and Christian chatting straight after the race. Horner said to Wolff how amazing it was that on Bottas' fastest lap, he was over one second faster down the pit straight alone.

xrnzaaas

I just noticed everyone except for Max and Valtteri got lapped, lol. I have to say it's amazing how Max is the only one capable of fighting them... well at least one of the Mercedes cars.

If Bottas somehow manages to not finish second when the season is over despite driving a terminator like car he should be fired on the spot. I know that Mercedes wanted to put the worse possible driver that could still get any results to make sure that Hamilton is absolutely never tested, but this is ridiculous.

Fell asleep twice during the race, you can see that the Mercs are just cruising, its so fucking rigged and boring lol, so much better cars that they are just chilling around

Last edited:
Good to note this is not for a seat in ferrari, kinda clickbaity image, read the text.

Mick is really good, i have watched every race of his since he entred formula 2, the stats lie quite a bit, last years he had a shit ton of mechanicals that lead to bad placings and dnfs, he has really good race pace, his tyre managment is not that great.

He has a insane work ethic, maybe not as talented as the top 3 youngsters, but the ammount of work he puts in will get him the results, would be good to see him replace Kimi in Alfa next year, he is sure as FUCK better than Latifi.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Welcome back, Istanbul Park. :) I gotta say I'm not upset about two races in Bahrain. It's a pretty cool circuit and it's certainly better than the prospect of having 2 races in Abu Dhabi. ;)

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This is gonna be interesting, mostly straights and <1 minute laptimes.

Also Dan Ticktum from F2 might have COVID - is it safe to use the 'k' word? ;)

Last edited:

This is excellent news! Cannot wait for this event, should be very different from any F1 race in the past 30+ years.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Also Dan Ticktum from F2 might have COVID - is it safe to use the 'k' word? ;)

That circuit in many ways shares characteristics with some of the old classics - I'm thinking old Hockenheim, Silverstone back in the 80s, etc. I might actually watch that one.

xrnzaaas

Hamilton and F1 forcing BLM ideology - yes please
Lando's helmet design looking similar to a flag of a right-wing political party - POLITICS ARE BANNED IN F1

That circuit in many ways shares characteristics with some of the old classics - I'm thinking old Hockenheim, Silverstone back in the 80s, etc. I might actually watch that one.
It does indeed. It's not as long as the old Hockenheim, but it still provide something else from other tracks on the current calendar. Anyway Ferrari are probably on suicide watch after seeing the layout of the track. ;) They will be struggling heavily in Spa if their current FP pace will stand for tomorrow and Sunday.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It does indeed. It's not as long as the old Hockenheim, but it still provide something else from other tracks on the current calendar. Anyway Ferrari are probably on suicide watch after seeing the layout of the track. ;)

Sadly not but the simplicity is good - should make for better racing, lots of drafting opportunities, might not even need DRS. Re Hockenheim I was more referring to the requirement for low downforce for all those straights which will make the corners trickier and also reduce the impact of following another car (ie your downforce is already shit) which should make for some good racing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What an absolute shit-show. Ferrari are just an absolute mess, it's incredible how bad they are. On the driver front, Vettel is clearly done. Ricciardo damaged him badly and now Leclerc has left him broken. I like the guy - he seems like someone who'd be good company down the pub, but as a driver I think he knows he's not going to win anything in F1 again. He got lucky being in THAT Red Bull car at that time with Webber as a team mate. As for Leclerc - he has unfortunately timed his arrival at Ferrari poorly. The thing is, if the car looks good, you know Max will be there in a shot and Charles is toast.

Breakage

Ecpu6t6XkAUzmPu

How is it even possible for Ferrari to be this bad?
I wonder how Carlos Sainz feels about his move now.

Last edited:

Business

Ecpu6t6XkAUzmPu

How is it even possible for Ferrari to be this bad?
I wonder how Carlos Sainz feels about his move now.

Despite the memes and the cynical views we all enjoy, Ferrari is still Ferrari and Sainz wasn’t going to win in the McLaren either. I doubt there’s many guys on the grid, even now, that would reject a Ferrari seat for next year.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Are you fucking kidding me? I mean honestly.. how the fuck has Ferrari got it so wrong?

Breakage

Despite the memes and the cynical views we all enjoy, Ferrari is still Ferrari and Sainz wasn’t going to win in the McLaren either. I doubt there’s many guys on the grid, even now, that would reject a Ferrari seat for next year.
Makes you wonder how they are gonna turn things around. I'm sure the other drivers would be wary about potentially wasting away several years by joining a team that seems to be in such disarray – even if that team is Ferrari.

Fox Mulder

Ferrari fucked everyone cheating. The fans, the sport, their customer teams, and themselves. They also pushed Mercedes to be even better.

The new rules probably won’t even help them. Their 2014 car and PU was fucking trash and the 2009 car was awful too.

Ferrari fucked everyone cheating. The fans, the sport, their customer teams, and themselves. They also pushed Mercedes to be even better.

The new rules probably won’t even help them. Their 2014 car and PU was fucking trash and the 2009 car was awful too.

Everyone cheats at this level they just got caught and thrown under the bus as a warning to all other teams than mercedes, now that the sport is americanized and bastardized by liberty nothing will stop Hamilton from beating schumis records. its set up perfectly with him getting 8 titles and retiring in 2022 so he will never get exposed as the hack he is in a normal playing field.

The F2 race was great today, shame about the Mazepin penalty, i feel like racing is becoming to soft now, but its still miles better than formula 1. Deletraz also really solid.

Honestly might not even bother watching the formula 1 race tomorrow its so dull now. Ill watch the first lap then turn off since the race will probably be decided after that.

xrnzaaas

Spa is not a lucky circuit for Antonio. Amazing performance from Renault, they must be supper happy with P4 & P5.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrari.. honestly I'm absolutely shocked at the state of Ferrari. Worse the 1993/4.

V4skunk

Banned
The only way to fix F1 is to greatly relax the chassis, engine and aero rules.
There should be a maximum power and weight limit to stop things getting crazy. Allow active suspension and all the other technological goodies that have been banned in the past.
F1 should be an unlimited rules sport where everything goes. F1 used to be about pushing technology......Not so much these days.
I am also excited at the prospect of 2 stroke engines replacing the 1.6 V6 turbo units.

Yeah that last two races have been complete duds. Even the midfield wasn't that interesting today.

I also think they should relax the rules a lot more. I want that to come in the form of engines though, not necessarily aero. We tried that and got the mid-late 2000s where overtaking was almost impossible.

J-Roderton

Damn, end of an era. I guess the team's financial situation must have been horrible if Claire & Frank agreed to this.

Seems like it got pretty bad, yeah. Interesting they’re still going to be racing under the Williams name though.

xrnzaaas

Seems like it got pretty bad, yeah. Interesting they’re still going to be racing under the Williams name though.
That's actually quite reasonable. Aren't historical teams receiving extra money? Plus it's still a very recognizable name in F1 despite the fact that they had horrendous last few years.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh Claire had to go, she's just not up to the job, and Frank has enough health issues going on that he doesn't need the hassle. I can see why they'd call it a day, having realised they can't have a successful team kept in the family.

Top Bottom