• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Mohonky

So.....

Sainz to Ferrari
Ricciardo to Mclaren

Interesting. I am a little surprised by Sainz to Ferrari, I just dont rate the guy quite that highly. With Ferraris pull they could have almost anyone, so I dunno, I would have thought Ricciardo is a better fit; he's been in a race winning car and has experience.

Anyway, a great move for Sainz.

Ricciardo joining Mclaren on the upward trajectory and with a move to Merc power soon I think he is in a good spot. Ferrari would have been better but I think this will be a good move for him.

Now...Renault?

Do we really dare to believe we might see Alonso in that car? Maybe they bring back the Hulk? This is probably going to be the biggest surprise line up.

Vettel to retire. Dont see him interested, he has 4 titles, his last ambition was to emulate Schumacher but that dream is dead; cant see him going to a team floundering around the mid field.

xrnzaaas

Leclerc and Ricciardo are both known for being aggressive on track, I think Ferrari didn't want to risk having another season of their drivers taking each other out during races.

Makariel

Leclerc and Ricciardo are both known for being aggressive on track, I think Ferrari didn't want to risk having another season of their drivers taking each other out during races.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F09%2F17%2F22%2F52%2Fsingapore_170917_a_1000.jpg

skysports-f1-collide_4839342.jpg

I don't know what you mean.

Fox Mulder

Renault is gonna look so midfield just calling Hulk back. Alonso back at Renault would be a hilarious disaster.

The team is a mediocre works team with no engine customers. They paid Ricciardo crazy money when they weren’t at all ready to compete with the top teams.

xrnzaaas

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Renault left the sport at the nearest opportunity. They've now been left by both the last customer team and a fast driver they were trying to build their future with.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Renault left the sport at the nearest opportunity. They've now been left by both the last customer team and a fast driver they were trying to build their future with.

If Renault left that would be terible for the sport

Another team gone

How many team left now? 9 ?

Not to mention Renault carried a strong legacy in Formula one if you still remember Williams Renault, Beneton Renault, Red Bull Renault and Mild Seven Renault...

Thats like..how many constructor championship title there? 15?

Viewership in France will drop significantly if they left

We need more car and driver running in the race not less

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The budget cap may help, but the economy might lead big manufacturers like Renault or Honda to pull out in the next few years anyways.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The budget cap may help, but the economy might lead big manufacturers like Renault or Honda to pull out in the next few years anyways.

Tbh that might not be a bad thing. Could lead to something like the DFV engine from back in the day which would allow teams to focus on the car importing engines are roughly equal.

Makariel

Tbh that might not be a bad thing. Could lead to something like the DFV engine from back in the day which would allow teams to focus on the car importing engines are roughly equal.
That would mean the end of manufacturer teams, Mercedes would rather leave than use an engine from Ferrari, Honda or Renault, and vice versa.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That would mean the end of manufacturer teams, Mercedes would rather leave than use an engine from Ferrari, Honda or Renault, and vice versa.

Not necessarily. So back in the day most teams used the DFV engines, I'm sure you're aware of the history. Let's take the 1980 F1 season, just picking at random. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Formula_One_season#Drivers_and_constructors you see that most teams are running the DFV, but there are a few outliers - Ferrari, Renault and Alfa Romeo. It doesn't necessarily mean that you ban Merc, Ferrari, Honda and Renault from making engines, just that you have a good fallback standard that is reasonably cheap - maybe even run a different spec for that so it can be competitive with the hybrid engines (ie make those 'DFV' engines proper screaming V12s or something). Now of course the big manufacturers would lose customers, but perhaps that might prompt them to consider engines that are less costly to build - currently they're able to spread the enormous expense over their customer base (apart from Renault) but without that they'll have to cut back, and maybe, just maybe, we can start having some sensible conversations about engines in F1 because these hybrid engines, technical marvels as they are, do nothing for the racing.

V4skunk

Banned

So the F1 season is being pushed further back, with the big 2021 rule changes being pushed all the way to 2022. But the new budget cap will be in place.

What do you do with a high tech industry that is used to dealing with constantly changing challenges and is put on hold for a few months?

They are just going to develop the 2020 cars into the ultimate aero based race cars of our time.
I wanted to see the ground effect cars in 2021 though.

Makariel

Stumbled over this on reddit:

iktqzmsaroz41.jpg

Since we have a bit of time on our hand without races still, anyone willing to share what their "dream team" in F1 would be, respectively what team-combination would be nightmare fuel?

I guess Haas pit crew and Ferrari strategy would be hot contender for the nightmare-version of this...

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It would be great for entertainment purposes, but I don't see Hamilton agreeing to this and Toto wanting to break good "teamwork" between his drivers.

Fox Mulder

Mercedes has dominated F1 since 2014 and will win the title this year and 2021 anyways. They’re likely looking at leaving in a few years because of the company shifting to electric, so why not go partner Vettel with Hamilton and set off firework and headlines.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Been watching some streams from current and ex f1 driver s (and other disciplines) playing rfactor and other sims, actually fun to watch.

Yeah I’ve been on IRacing since about 2013 and the influx of people has been staggering, in part because of all the attention now coming to virtual racing. Guys like Max and Lando have been here for ages with Will Power, various NASCAR drivers, even old guys like Rubens Barricello also having fun. I’ve shared a track with many of them and it’s amazing, honestly the coolest thing ever (Max is ridiculous btw). I reckon e-motorsport might be here to stay.

Chankoras

Yeah I’ve been on IRacing since about 2013 and the influx of people has been staggering, in part because of all the attention now coming to virtual racing. Guys like Max and Lando have been here for ages with Will Power, various NASCAR drivers, even old guys like Rubens Barricello also having fun. I’ve shared a track with many of them and it’s amazing, honestly the coolest thing ever (Max is ridiculous btw). I reckon e-motorsport might be here to stay.
Yeah, I wasn't too interested in watching virtual racing, but now I'm more open to it.
Like to watch the enthusiasm of the sim guys beating f1 drivers.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone going to watch the NASCAR race tonight? Not my usual but it's better than nothing.

Might give it a look. I started watching IndyCar a couple of years ago and found it infinitely better than f1 and I found oval racing fascinating. Any idea how to watch NASCAR in the uk?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Might give it a look. I started watching IndyCar a couple of years ago and found it infinitely better than f1 and I found oval racing fascinating. Any idea how to watch NASCAR in the uk?

I think one of the Sky channels airs some races.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
After some doubt, it looks like the races at Silverstone are going ahead following intervention from Boris. Excellent news.

Makariel

Meanwhile in Formula E, Audi driver Daniel Abt gets fired over cheating in eSports event:

Just what Audi needed, considering Dieselgate is still in people's memory and Audi DTM team had been previously told off for pushing competition off the track on command.

xrnzaaas

I wonder if Abt getting fired will result in other professional drivers staying away from esports altogether. There's no gain and a huge risk of angering your team / sponsors, even in cases less "extreme" than this one.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I think they can find people that want to do it. Guys like Leclerc and Lando do fine, Russell has been able to shine too. It was fun watching Alonso and Button fight for the lead at a virtual Indy oval race.

Some guys just didn’t take it seriously despite sponsor participation and other drivers giving up their time.

Last edited:
Williams have announced a £13 million loss for 2019 and ended their title sponsorship with ROKiT, now actively looking for minority or majority stakeholders in the business.

Rumours suggest Latifi might be making a swoop for the team and some seem to suspect that losing ROKiT is part of that deal...

Interesting times ahead.

xrnzaaas

It's a shame they didn't considering selling the team when they were still fighting in the midfield. They've been dead last for 2 years with no hopes of bouncing back in the near future.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Williams are fucked really. The thing is they got away with it during the early hybrid years when the merc engine was way ahead of the rest. It helped too that they had two decent drivers. The car was poor even then (see performance on slow tracks) but they got away with it because the engine was so good. Then the other engines caught up and the performance started going backwards, followed by losing the decent drivers and getting shitty pay drivers. So now, having sold off their historical cars, mortgaged the land the factory is on, etc, they're left with only a bad chassis with a good engine and a couple of inexperienced drivers who won't be able to feed back to the engineers to get a better car, and no money to fix a concept that has been bad for years.

Fox Mulder

Williams bled a slow death and now they’re firmly at the bottom. F1 just isn’t built for an independent team like that anymore. Even Mclaren is owned by Bahrain and other billionaires.

They could have probably been a Mercedes B team a few years ago with the Strolls but didn’t want to.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Williams bled a slow death and now they’re firmly at the bottom. F1 just isn’t built for an independent team like that anymore. Even Mclaren is owned by Bahrain and other billionaires.

They could have probably been a Mercedes B team a few years ago with the Strolls but didn’t want to.

The stupid thing is that F1 needs to be about teams that want to go racing, independent teams, because being at the whim of car manufacturers places the sport in a very vulnerable position. The car manufacturers want hybrid tech but also want their manufacturer teams to be up front to maximise advertising benefit. That does nothing good for the racing. On the other hand, hand out a standard engine (like basically happened in the 60s up to the first turbo era) that's reasonably competitive and let these teams innovate on chassis and suspension design, and you have a sport again. The interests of manufacturer teams are not compatible with a watchable sport.

xrnzaaas

Can't wait and I hope that Imola and Mugello will get a shot at organizing GP's this year. An F1 season with extra races on famous European tracks is just what we need after such a long break. :)

Can't wait and I hope that Imola and Mugello will get a shot at organizing GP's this year. An F1 season with extra races on famous European tracks is just what we need after such a long break. :)

Latest rumour is only Mugello will make the cut of the two, along with Portimao, and Hockenheim as a stand-in for Sochi if the latter can't host.

xrnzaaas

Wait, so Mercedes will be running a black car this year to show their support for blacks? Clown world has finally reached F1, especially with the news of their plans to force the increase of minorities in their workforce.

Last edited:

Makariel

They say the team is committed to fighting racism and discrimination in all its forms, yet they are proudly supporting a movement that can't stop criticising white people.
Are white people above criticism? That goes way off topic now btw this thread is on Formula 1, not politics. There's an entire forum section for politics, have fun there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom