• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Albon my dude, you can't get past a slower car, with tyres a step down that are what, 25 laps older?

He needed to leave a few races ago.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Rookie error from Carlos although the chicane looked really tight on the replay. That's one of the reasons why I hate asphalt run-off areas. They have to build these things to force the drivers to slow down.

Lewis gets a penalty: Cries continuously for 10 laps, it's everyone else's fault.

Ricciardo gets a penalty: "Ok, that was my bad, I'll drive faster and make up for it"
Give him a few more penalties and he'll actually start calling stewards racists.

Last edited:
"They [the stewards] are trying to stop me. " :pie_eyeroll:

Break the rules, get punished, simple. I thought it was a well known rule by now so why does Hamilton get let off? If commentators and viewers are aware of them,and pointed it out at the time it happened, then why is Lewis not aware of the rules when he is the one participating in the sport, piloting the vehicle?

Just because your boss says it's OK to do something doesn't make it OK.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
"They [the stewards] are trying to stop me. " :pie_eyeroll:

Break the rules, get punished, simple. I thought it was a well known rule by now so why does Hamilton get let off? If commentators and viewers are aware of them,and pointed it out at the time it happened, then why is Lewis not aware of the rules when he is the one participating in the sport, piloting the vehicle?

Just because your boss says it's OK to do something doesn't make it OK.

He was just following orders ;)

I slept through the F2 race and just saw the highlights. Horrific crash at T3 for Ghiotto, meters from the wall he gets air born so unable to slow down at all and directly head on into the wall.

It's amazing the crashes people can walk out of these days and luckily so, the padding on the wall certainly saved his life. Even more lucky is he was both conscious and not trapped in the car, otherwise he would have been barbecued as well.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
What the fuck. They finally built a very good, reliable engine which allowed both teams to be competetive and now they're pulling back. I wonder if it's possible for them to sell their engine plans so that Red Bull would build their own engine. Probably very unlikely with so little time.

Fox Mulder

Surprised Honda held on this long honestly. The F1 PU regulations have been awful for the sport. They were insanely expensive and complex where everyone but Mercedes has sucked ass for years.

So now Redbull is looking at Renault engines again under the rules, but I wonder if their pride just makes them leave instead. They might even lose Verstappen if he has a works engine clause in his contract.

Last edited:
These dumb-fuck engine regs have been a disaster for the sport. Chasing “road-relevancy” has taken too big a spotlight when really, they should either just go electric or just go racing. This shaky middle ground has essentially killed all competition and led to a period of dominance worse than the early 2000s.

Now we have 3 engine manufacturers and two of them won’t even go anywhere near Red Bull. I’d threaten to walk with both teams if I was Mateschitz. Hold some testicles to the fire.

Last edited:

StonedRider

Sad news. Red Bull has little engine choices, if any. Renault wanted to focus on themselves, Mercedes will not provide their engines to closest rival. Ferrari?

F1 should introduce a new rule - constructors cup winner should provide their engines to any team that asked for it for the next couple of years.

Last edited:

StonedRider

What the fuck. They finally built a very good, reliable engine which allowed both teams to be competetive and now they're pulling back. I wonder if it's possible for them to sell their engine plans so that Red Bull would build their own engine. Probably very unlikely with so little time.

I've just read some speculations about it. Red Bull could try to hire Andy Cowell, who departed from Mercedes. Engine upgrades are limited and they can possibly manage it under his command. And after engine rules changes in 2026 Volkswagen could join F1 with Red Bull under Porsche brand, but it's another story.

Airbus Jr

Banned
RENAULT WILLING TO SUPPLY RED BULL AND ALPHA TAURI WITH ENGINES AFTER HONDA WITHDRAWS

Renault has indicated that it is willing to supply engines to Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri after Honda pulls out of Formula 1 at the end of 2021.

Both teams are beginning the search for an alternative partner for 2022 after Honda announced on Friday that it will stop its F1 programme at the end of next season.

Renault supplied engines to Red Bull from 2007-'18, and the two companies won four double world championships together between 2010-'14.

However, the relationship ended badly between Renault Sport boss Cyril Abiteboul and RBR team principal Christian Horner.

Renault may be required to supply engines regardless, as Appendix 9 of the FIA sporting regulations obliges the manufacturer with the fewest partner teams to supply a competitor that has no alternatives.

From next year Mercedes will have four teams and Ferrari three, while currently Renault's only commitment is to its rebranded works Alpine outfit.

Abiteboul said that the French manufacturer has not heard from Red Bull since today's announcement, but is ready to fulfil the FIA's obligation to supply should it arise.

PLUS: What next for Red Bull after Honda's shock F1 exit?

"I can confirm there was absolutely no conversation to this point," he told Autosport.

"Being in the sport we are well aware of the regulation, and we have every intent to comply with the regulation and with our obligations.

"Obviously it's a bit more detailed - we need to be requested, and we have not been requested yet, and secondly there are very specific circumstances, including timing, for this to happen. And we are still quite far from that window, which is not before the spring of next year.

"We know that in F1 lots of things can happen in a very limited amount of time, and spring 2021 is still very far. All sorts of things can happen. As I say we will comply with any obligation which may arise from this circumstance."

Asked if a reunion with Red Bull would be awkward given their shared history, Abiteboul said: "I think so, but we need obviously to look at the sport. And I think we are still very far away from having to possibly cross that bridge.

"I can't imagine that Red Bull would not have some plan in the background. Clearly they must have been aware of this, and Helmut [Marko] and Christian are full of moves and solutions. I don't expect that we will be their Plan A!"

Abiteboul added that Honda's decision to withdraw from F1 at the end of 2021 did not come as a total surprise.

"We know it's always something that can happen," he said.

"I knew that they had to confirm their position after 2021, and now that was probably the time to do that - and maybe the lack of confirmation was already an indication, because when I see how advanced we are already into the 2022 engine design I guess it's de facto some form of orientation."

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
These dumb-fuck engine regs have been a disaster for the sport. Chasing “road-relevancy” has taken too big a spotlight when really, they should either just go electric or just go racing. This shaky middle ground has essentially killed all competition and led to a period of dominance worse than the early 2000s.

Now we have 3 engine manufacturers and two of them won’t even go anywhere near Red Bull. I’d threaten to walk with both teams if I was Mateschitz. Hold some testicles to the fire.
No the engines are actually good.
But imo the problems are the regulations are way too tight in every thing from aero/engine restrictions and development down to the types of engines and hybrid systems that have to be used.
Everything needs to be relaxed. Let teams run any engine and let teams innovate with design and technology.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm not saying Giovinazzi deserves to stay, but signing Mick so fast would be unwise imo. He didn't have a proper free practice session in F1.

Fox Mulder

Ferrari powered teams are going to be shit next year anyways, might as well get Schumacher in there.

Mercedes, Mclaren, and Aston Martin are gonna get all the hype next year.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
LITCz4W.jpg

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Someone big at Merc has corona :messenger_hushed:
Wonder if it’s Hamilton or Bottas. Guess we’ll find out soon.

Who says it's anyone 'big'? All we have is that it's a team member. That could be anyone from a laptop jockey to the guy who removes Bottas' front left wheel to someone in the factory who doesn't even go to races.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Doesn't look like it's anyone big after all. I have to say I'm surprised only 1 F1 driver got corona so far, especially with the second wave hitting Europe currently.

Doesn't look like it's anyone big after all. I have to say I'm surprised only 1 F1 driver got corona so far, especially with the second wave hitting Europe currently.

I'd heard from another source before Merc announced it on Twitter (don't use it). If it's someone in the team though, there is a small chance it's been passed around a bit. Hope the person doesn't have bad symptoms and they're back up and running ASAP.

Do we know if Will Buxton is back this week? I know he got diagnosed a couple of weeks ago.

Really hoping for a wet race this weekend, a bit of spice. Forecast looking good on that front.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'd heard from another source before Merc announced it on Twitter (don't use it). If it's someone in the team though, there is a small chance it's been passed around a bit. Hope the person doesn't have bad symptoms and they're back up and running ASAP.

Do we know if Will Buxton is back this week? I know he got diagnosed a couple of weeks ago.

Really hoping for a wet race this weekend, a bit of spice. Forecast looking good on that front.
Nope, he's still not recovered. At least he's going through it mildly.

Top Bottom