• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Fox Mulder

Did they just sack Albon midrace?

he absolutely sucked this race. He clipped ricciardo at the start, got a penalty taking Kvyats wing, almost hit Gasly, and locked up multiple laps.

they can probably just get Hulk for the rest of the year if they don’t want to promote Gasly again.

I'm a Vettle fan, I really hope he turns it around at Aston Martin next year. I feel he's current form at Ferrari is a combination of things and doesn't represent what he can do.

That not a downer on Leclerc, he's definitely faster quailfer than Vettle but not by these gaps.

Also annoying Max not having the car to challenge Hamilton. Merc are just too strong.

Well done to Lewis for equalling Michael's record.

It will be a very, very long time before anyone topples whatever he leaves on.

Fox Mulder

It’s hard to imagine a team matching the sustained dominance of Mercedes coming along again. Hamilton has feasted since 2014 and he could easily be around another 5 years when he’d be 40.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm happy for Nico, no pre-race preparations and to advance from P20 to P8 is very impressive. Also a great job from Daniel even though Cyril is probably not 100% happy. ;)

Albon is definitely gone after this year, it's only a question if they'll consider bumping Gasly again or find a replacement from outside of their program.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The red bull second seat has Hulks name written all over it.

I actually think it's better they have a mature driver next to Max rather than another rookie. Max is so talented that he makes all the other rookies that race alongside him second guess themselves and its just too much pressure for most of them to handle. The only way it works is if they find another freak like Max who also happens to have a big personality.

Guys like Gasly and Albon perform better when the pressure is off and that second seat at redbull comes with a huge amount of pressure and expectation.

Fox Mulder

They’ll have to do something about the 2nd car next year with a Mercedes powered Mclaren and Vettel at Aston Martin possibly pushing them for their usual spot on the podium. Renault is getting better too. They can’t get by with just Max scoring points.

Last edited:

Breakage

Even the face masks have become spaces for political statements. It's just funny seeing a multi-millionaire like Daniel Ricciardo with the word EQUALITY written across his face:
2703284.0064.jpg

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Even the face masks have become spaces for political statements. It's just funny seeing a multi-millionaire like Daniel Ricciardo with the word EQUALITY written across his face:
2703284.0064.jpg
Well Daniel doesn't try to force other drivers to bend the knee in support of his political statement. Or at least he's not there yet. This season has been an eye opener for me in terms of supporting the drivers and the teams. I'm glad that Kimi, Charles or Max are standing their ground.

StonedRider

I liked their banter at the end of the press conference

LH: Yeah, it was definitely difficult but we’re all in the same boat so I’m not complaining but it definitely made it harder, these conditions and temperatures we had today.
DR: I agree on everything. I’m wearing two pairs of socks.
MV: Two?
DR: Yeah, I put two pairs of socks on today.
MV: Daniel’s not made for the cold.
DR: So I’ve got two pairs of socks on.
LH: Well, they’re pretty thin anyway.
DR: Yeah, they’re thin, so I kept my feet warm, but I think having the challenge of two day weekends, I like that. So happy, obviously, to do it again in Imola.
MV: You must have a hole in your nose box or something.
DR: I just feel the cold.
MV: There might be a trick somewhere there in the nose.
DR: Please don’t protest! Not today!
LH: Are you allowed to wear two socks?

Fox Mulder

So buzz is that Russell could be out at Williams for Perez?

Claire Williams blocked him from possibly leaving to Mercedes this year and the new ownership might boot him out late with no seats available. Crazy.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
That would be a new low for the Mercedes junior program. I think the worst case is that he takes a year off like Ocon and then returns for 2022. He's very talented and if Mercedes won't take him to replace Bottas they're at least going to release him from the program.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm not really excited about Portimao, but I'm willing to give the track a chance.

According to almost confirmed rumors Haas is going to change its entire lineup for next year and that's big news. They must've been hit quite bad financially if they're not leaving at least Kevin to continue developing the car he knows.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Getting rid of Kmag for a rookie pay driver is insane, but Haas totally seems like the guy that finally bites on the Mazepin money. 2021 will be shitty for all Ferrari teams too.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really excited about Portimao, but I'm willing to give the track a chance.

According to almost confirmed rumors Haas is going to change its entire lineup for next year and that's big news. They must've been hit quite bad financially if they're not leaving at least Kevin to continue developing the car he knows.

Tbh the existing drivers are terrible and have done little to develop the car - it's an odd move though to double-rookie. It's like they've learned nothing from the Williams debacle.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

So Lance had corona after all, it wasn't diarrhea. Pretty big coincidence for both Racing Point drivers to get infected.

So Grosjean and Magnussen have left Haas...
Hope K-Mag can find a drive, he has backing. Romain seems to aiming for WEC.

If Haas go with Schumacher and Mazepin, I think it might be among the least inspiring line-ups in recent memory.

And if that's the case, I hope Schumi absolutely annihilates Mazepin. The guy is absolute trash. In racing (like many, I suppose) because of his rich dad, but he's an unbearable, unlikable arrogant tool to boot. Has no place in F1 whatsoever. At least Latifi and Stroll have a modicum of pleasantness about them. And Stroll has a good junior record to justify his place in F1. Mazepin has done fuck all.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don't think Kevin has a chance to race elsewhere, at least not next year. Alfa is going to retain its lineup or sign Schumacher for Giovinazzi's seat. Even at Williams we're probably looking at a Perez-Latifi lineup since they're the ones with the biggest backing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh both KMag and Grosjean are shit. They need Hulk or Perez, two rookies would be a disaster.

StonedRider

StonedRider

pWq85Nx.jpg

How no one has decided to snap up Russell for next year is beyond me.

It would be great it Mercedes replaced Hamilton with Russel next year and saved a lot of money with the same results. I hope they consider it at least.

Lewis is fast, can't deny it, but in Mercedes car everybody can win now, even Bottas.

Albon is getting fired for sure. P12, not even close to the points, lapped by his team mate who once again made the podium and was 30 seconds ahead of P4.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
At this point Albon might be replaced before the end of the season, especially if Red Bull will decide to try it out with Hulk who doesn't have any other obligations. I'm also amazed by how Leclerc is keeping the Ferrari trainwreck from falling apart. Even if he's getting the new parts first the gap between him and Seb is still huge.

Last edited:

StonedRider

Red Bull should've babysat Gasly like they do Albon now. Albon is useless. No speed, no personality, no racing aggression. Albon and Kvyat are having their last seasons in their F1 careers.

J-Roderton

At least Charles is managing decent spots with his car.
Beginning of race was insane.
Nice show from Sergio.
Again, WTF, Albon?
Congrats to Lewis, I guess.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

In other news Kai Ebel from RTL is ending his 26 year (!) career as an F1 journalist which covered 505 F1 races (!!), because RTL is losing the rights to F1 next year. Such a long run, I remember him from the 90s when I watched F1 on RTL because of no local alternatives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom