• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

There's a bit of me that's really glad Imola's back, but a bit of me also suspects that it might now be a bit too small for modern F1 cars. Passing is going to be particularly tricky as some parts of the track aren't particularly wide and there aren't many places with more than one viable line, especially with the god-damn chicanes.

J-Roderton

There's a bit of me that's really glad Imola's back, but a bit of me also suspects that it might now be a bit too small for modern F1 cars. Passing is going to be particularly tricky as some parts of the track aren't particularly wide and there aren't many places with more than one viable line, especially with the god-damn chicanes.

Yeah. I’ll be interested to see how it goes. I’ve enjoyed watching most of the Italian circuits so far.

Unexpected. I hoped for a new blood to race along Kimi next season.

Alfa Romeo to retain Raikkonen and Giovinazzi in unchanged 2021 driver line-up

I think Giovinazzi deserves another season. Yes, he's been lacklustre at times, but he took the GP2 title to the wire with Gasly in 2016 and had some extremely impressive performances in his debut season - he's also been much closer to and often ahead of Kimi this season. Maybe I'm biased, but I love the guy, and I'm pleased he's getting another shot. I don't see how any of the GP2 guys would jump in that car and do a better job. Having said that, I'm looking forward to Schumacher, Schwartzman and Lundgaard eventually getting a shot in F1. Don't think Mazepin, Ilott or Zhou have got what it takes.

StonedRider

I think Giovinazzi deserves another season. Yes, he's been lacklustre at times, but he took the GP2 title to the wire with Gasly in 2016 and had some extremely impressive performances in his debut season - he's also been much closer to and often ahead of Kimi this season. Maybe I'm biased, but I love the guy, and I'm pleased he's getting another shot. I don't see how any of the GP2 guys would jump in that car and do a better job. Having said that, I'm looking forward to Schumacher, Schwartzman and Lundgaard eventually getting a shot in F1. Don't think Mazepin, Ilott or Zhou have got what it takes.

He definitely improved this season, at least in qualifying. But I hoped for the young Schumacher to take his place and learn something from old wise Kimi.

Looks like Mik is going to Haas now?

As for other F2 pilots - Ilott is definitely the first among Ferrary Academy F1 candidates. Shwartzman is too young and needs to improve in the next season, his qualifying performance were mediocre. Mazepin is arrogant asshole and not particularly fast, but has rich father. Zhou is inconsistent.
I hope Tsunoda will race in Alpha Tauri next season.

We'll have four more F2 races in Bahrain and it will be interesting to watch.

I hope Tsunoda will race in Alpha Tauri next season.
I think it's pretty much a given which is why I didn't mention him. Schumi should go to Haas, hopefully with an experienced teammate and not that prick Mazepin.
Schwartzman and Lundgaard both need another year in F2. The title should be very close between them both next year.
Ilott cracks under pressure too easily. He's fast on his day, but wildly inconsistent. He's thrown away so many chances this year and basically handed the title to Mick.

xrnzaaas

I'm glad that Kimi and Antonio will be staying with Alfa even though as a Pole I'm a little bit sad that Kubica's F1 career is likely over for good.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad that Kimi and Antonio will be staying with Alfa even though as a Pole I'm a little bit sad that Kubica's F1 career is likely over for good.

The problem with Kubica is that George owned him, and then he whined about Williams not giving him equal treatment. The truth is either he couldn't adapt to the modern cars (no shame in that - even Michael Schumacher found it difficult to adapt to the modern tyres etc on his return) or the pace had simply gone. My gut feeling is that it was the former.

xrnzaaas

Yeah I'd also bet on Robert not being able to adapt to current cars. Certainly doesn't help that he had a huge break. Imo going back to F1 after more than 2 years of absence will be hard on any driver.

StonedRider

Robert was a fast F1 driver and first eastern european potential title contender, but this terrible rally crash changed everything for him. And his return was a mistake, imo.

Ilott cracks under pressure too easily. He's fast on his day, but wildly inconsistent. He's thrown away so many chances this year and basically handed the title to Mick.

Yeah, he cracks sometimes, but I like him, idk why. Hope he learns from his mistakes and will make Schumi Jr. way to title as hard as possible.

StonedRider

Friday press conference, asked question about human rights issues in Saudi Arabia.

Me: Now, it's a chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality for outspoken protector of oppressed people Lewis Hamilton to show his tough stance on authoritarian mysogynistic and homophobic regime which killed and dismembered famous dissident and journalist Khashoggi.

Lewis Hamilton: Honestly I don't know enough about human rights issues happening in Saudi Arabia.

Me: Pussy!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Friday press conference, asked question about human rights issues in Saudi Arabia.

Me: Now, it's a chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality for outspoken protector of oppressed people Lewis Hamilton to show his tough stance on authoritarian mysogynistic and homophobic regime which killed and dismembered famous dissident and journalist Khashoggi.

Lewis Hamilton: Honestly I don't know enough about human rights issues happening in Saudi Arabia.

Me: Pussy!

15:10 for the utter retardation. What a cunt. Utterly stumped when he had to actually talk about real social justice, he couldn't cope going off-script.

Last edited by a moderator:
FUCKING BOTTAS!!!
What a lad. I'm sticking a tenner on a Gasly podium tomorrow, the guy is dominating that Alpha Tauri.

Russian social media reported that Kvyat is out next year. I'm kinda sad as a like the guy but Helmut Marko said to German media that it was someone "very young" who was taking the seat. Tsunoda basically confirmed. I wonder if Danny K would have a shot at Haas with Mick, but I don't think he has any backing. Crazy how next year the grid is shaping up considering Latifi and Ocon were the only changes we saw this year. Honestly can't wait for '21 now. Just give HAM the title already and let's move on.

Doubt there'll be much in the way of overtaking tomorrow, but it's so great to see Imola back on the calendar, I love this circuit. Istanbul next, which is also a favourite and I can't wait for them to power around the Bahrain outer circuit. Definitely one of the stronger F1 seasons in recent memory, despite the podium places already basically being decided. That battle for 4th in the WDC is going to go down to the wire, as well as 3rd in the WCC.

JimiNutz

Banned
Red Bull should take Perez.

Racing Point should replace Stroll with Hulk for that German power next season.

Mohonky

First race this season I hadn’t watched. Nice job Ricciardo. Wtf happened today?

Quick down;

-Vettel punted K.Mag, then Ferrari bent Vettel over during a pit stop.

-Gasly was moving but suffered a PU failure

-Bottas copped another mental beating

-Hamilton stayed out on Mediums after dropping to third and proceeded to punch in fastest lap after fastest lap and could possibly have come out in first after the first round of pitstops; but a failure for Ocon brought out a VSC and so Hamilton not only got the overcut he was way ahead.

-Verstappen overtook Bottas after Bottas flopped a corner and understeered off.

- Bottas kept dropping back off the pace while Hamilton cruised around out front till Verstappen had a tyre failure and couldn't brake at the end of the start finish.

- Safety car

- Bottas kept floundering around behind Hamilton

-Perez overtook Albon, promptly followed by the rear of Albons car overtaking the front as he dropped it all by himsel trying to get back at Perez.

-Kyvat took LeClerc on the outside to move into fourth

-Ricciardo was just consistent and with Verstappen coming off inherited 3rd.

- Merc took the constructors

Last edited:

StonedRider

Boring track and boring race. But Max was good!

Albon said he was hit from behind, and kept insisting upon it, but it was clearly his own fault. His career is over. I hope we'll see Perez in second Red Bull next year.

In post race press conference Hamilton said he is not sure he will stay in F1 next season. During this season he already mentioned several times he's reevaluated his life style, rhythm and values after covid break and wants more calm life. Maybe he's tired? He's broken a lot of "eternal" records, does he have a motive to continue?

If it makes you feel any better; because he turned in fastest lap after fastest lap, VSC or not, he was getting the lead

Exactly, the gap was almost 29 seconds, he was needed 26-27 iirc. Short virtual safety car period added just a couple of seconds to his favor

If it makes you feel any better; because he turned in fastest lap after fastest lap, VSC or not, he was getting the lead

He would have won anyway, but it is the fact that the decisions goes his and mercs way almost every single time that gets me. Same with Bottas not getting penalized for a false start a few races back. Only a five second penalty in the opening race for raming albon of the road, and saftey cars or vsc or a judgement that benefits hamilton every single time he is under pressure.

Peter303

In post race press conference Hamilton said he is not sure he will stay in F1 next season. During this season he already mentioned several times he's reevaluated his life style, rhythm and values after covid break and wants more calm life. Maybe he's tired? He's broken a lot of "eternal" records, does he have a motive to continue?

There's no way he's going to give up the chance of an eighth world title. He'll be back next year.

xrnzaaas

Yep Mercedes will have it very easy winning next year as everyone are going to be focused on the 2022 changes.

But with that said I wouldn't mind if he retired and Max or George replaced him. ;)

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Why not go get that blood money. F1 put on their social justice armor with anthem kneeling and a rainbow on the safety car. Drivers won’t say shit about the human rights issues in SA.

Last edited:

StonedRider

Why not go get that blood money. F1 put on their social justice armor with anthem kneeling and a rainbow on the safety car. Drivers won’t say shit about the human rights issues in SA.

Hey, rich Saudi Arabians want to buy our [insert brand name here] expensive cars, you should understand!
REAL human rights issues are in USA, not SA.

Cherrypepsi

I can't wait to see the 2020 cars go full throttle through turn 8. This has to be the toughest left corner of f1 history this year.

xrnzaaas

It's probably going to improve a lot until tomorrow. It would be a lot of worse if qualy took place on the same day like on Imola.

StonedRider

This GP will be a disaster.
Rainy day, nobody can accelerate properly, even on straights, rubber will be washed away.
But I hope we'll have fun! Russel for the win!

xrnzaaas

Oh damn, I didn't realize it was so bad they wanted to have cars driving on the track overnight. Such a clusterfuck. I mean I enjoy chaotic races, but there are some limits. The first real test will be qualy.

Max was putting in Q2 times like he was driving a different category of car, but I just wanted to highlight Giovinazzi getting P5 there. Alfa looking fast in these conditions.

Mohonky

This race is going to be bonkers. They needed the other race series to help lay down rubber; didn't have any. Needed the free practice sessions to lay down rubber; pours down rain.

Not sure about the Redbulls, this performance could be because RB have a wet setup on the car when others have setup for a dry, but now they are saying maybe rain tomorrow, or at least it won't be totally dry so it'll be interesting.

Either way Max taking pole here

Top Bottom