• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken combat has me frustrated

RCU005

I admit I’m not amazing at games and over the years I’ve become more casual and playing games in normal or easy instead of hard difficulty, but this time it’s not about that but the mechanics.

What I am playing with is nothing like the videos I’ve watched about the demo. First of all, it says that in order to switch spells you need to press R1 to get the spell wheel, but I’ve seen videos where they change spells without ever going to the spell wheel, how?

Then, it’s very hard for me to control what I’m doing! I feel like I have no control whatsoever about evading, feels like the character just moves randomly.

Also, the magic hookshot thing with square slows time and it’s very hard to aim. Like in the trailers it looks like it’s instant

It does feel like a modified combat from Final Fantasy XV, but this time is like I don’t get to choose what happens.

I don’t know if this is a simple system but hard to master kind of thing but it’s very frustrating to me. I’m not having fun with it at all. The enemies are hard to look, the birds just move all over the place and it’s getting overwhelming. I also can’t tell at all when several enemies are attacking, so I just hold circle in hopes that she does something on her own. I really don’t understand at all the combat system, and the UI of the menu is even worse! Don’t have any idea what is going on in there about the powers and skills

Any tips or comments about the combat?

Last edited:

KàIRóS

I agree this game feels like Final Fantasy XV 2 which in other words means boring as hell, these devs working on the Luminous Engine have been focusing too much on how things look vs how they feel to play, SE seriously needs to rethink if they actually needed this in house engine at all at this point.

GymWolf

You can change type of magic by pressing left of right in the dpad or touchpad.

And you can turn on the option that automatically use the magic that is not in cooldown so you always have one available without touching menus.

Also change this stuff in the options:

Parkour on toggle instead of hold
Turning down how much they talk
Auto-picking objects
120hz in the display options to make all the modes more fluid
Set climbing to semi-auto
Set magic wheel to toggle instead of hold
Auto use the health potion (because during combat can be hard to see the small health bar)

The combat is not user friendly, you must put some effort to get used to it, same for traversal and how the camera "think".

I fucking hated combat in ff15 but i like this one, it plays like a more jerky\unprecise\faster\more acrobatic/more melee centric infamous with an optional lock on.

For the fire hook, what you see in the trailers is just her using the hook without aiming, aiming is more when you are doing platform challenges and you aim mid-air for those orange pieces of rock that you can climb on with the hook.

The normal use is just pressing the button without holding the button to have a little boost forward or to avoid an enemy move at the last moment, you can also unlock a move that bring enemies to you with the hook.

When you dodge with O, try not to hold, just press once for a normal evade move, sometimes it can throw you off because if you do the dodge toward an enemy when you are close to him, she can jump\stylish on the enemy and that move change the form of your attacks, so sometimes it feels random.

There is A LOT going on with the combat that you need to learn, i got pretty good only after 3-4 hours and started styling on enemies like a light dmc game.

I don't have better advice than just playing the game until you get the gist of it, everything feels random until you understand the mechanics and how the game works.

Last edited:

ergem

I agree this game feels like Final Fantasy XV 2 which in other words means boring as hell, these devs working on the Luminous Engine have been focusing too much on how things look vs how they feel to play, SE seriously needs to rethink if they actually needed this in house engine at all at this point.

They should stick to UE5, or better yet struck a deal with Sony for Decima Engine and probably contribute to it.

jaysius

Banned
It's a Budget AAA game, you should not buy it as you're teaching a dog that's shitting on the carpet that they're doing a good thing.

Just look at it and laugh and move on, you don't need to play every game that comes out.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
635616.jpg

System is closer to FF7R then FFXV imo

Also quick switching, I’m surprised you just never even tried to press left or right on the dpad before asking questions. Maybe you should explore the game and controls more and many of these questions will answer themselves

GymWolf

System is closer to FF7R then FFXV imo

Also quick switching, I’m surprised you just never even tried to press left or right on the dpad before asking questions. Maybe you should explore the game and controls more and many of these questions will answer themselves
I literally never thought about the shitty game or the shitty remake while playing the demo tbh.

For me it play more similarly to an acrobatic, faster, more melee centric infamous.

Last edited:

ergem

It's a Budget AAA game, you should not buy it as you're teaching a dog that's shitting on the carpet that they're doing a good thing.

I wanted to support it to send devs a message that new IPs are welcome and that they need to create new IPs.

But I really wasn’t feeling the game. I liked the combat but the sluggish control ruins it for me. There is a delay when you move the stick and the character movement.

I’d still wait for the reviews. Maybe it has something special in its sleeves.

Last edited:

Banned
Then, it’s very hard for me to control what I’m doing! I feel like I have no control whatsoever about evading, feels like the character just moves randomly.

definitely play in performance mode, and 120hz if possible.

the game has HORRENDOUSLY BAD input lag, even in performance mode and 120hz output it feels super sluggish to control.

so any other mode should be avoided like the plague.

not sure if that's part of your issue but yeah, don't even bother playing in any other mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom