• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken first hour of gameplay leaked

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeah please, lets look for a perfect game in this specific genre I want so the argument fits my narrative.

Dude, I'm not saying a game sucks ass for allowing cheese strategies. What I say is that being able to take advantage of said cheese strategies so easily as in the twitter video I posted is a clear flaw on the design.

I'm not going to look through all my library of games just for you mate. Maybe there isn't any, but guess what, that's not excuse for other games to have shit gameplay.
You specifically were counterpointing the game having even remotely good gameplay and possibly being challenging, by pointing out that the game could cheesed with hit and run strats.

You didnt come with this much vitriol against all the other games that have cheesing or hit and run strats (basically all of them) so why does this one example of it irk you so?
Your hate boner for this game might just have drained the blood from your brain and is now clouding your judgement.

If you gonna be an advocate against cheesing and hit and run strats, then die on that sword.
Being nitpicky about it comes off as disingenuous.....
"I hate hit and run strats they are a sign of bad game design when Forspoken has them, so clearly this game cant have good gameplay or be challenging.........but ill be totally quiet when any other game has them".

KlOIAqx.jpg

Fabieter

Yeah sure I like them. And yeah sure I think that's shit. As I've said many times already, it's not a excuse for other games to do the same.

Ofc it isnt. Well I dont mind cheesy enemys as long as the game is fun which is very much possible. I also like from games. And believe me devs could make killer ai but would get shit for games not fun anymore. So they cant really win I guess.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The writing is so bad. Its like a masterclass in exactly what not to do.

Every line is expository, typically showing what's on-screen to add insult to injury. Tonally its a mess, everything is cliche, the staging and direction seems disconnected and conspires to make it even less convincing (cat/bag/fire sequence is a shit-show of ineptitude).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm tired of this. My man I already made my point very clear: being able to cheese the enemies so fucking easily as to just turn around and walk away it's obviously a design flaw.

You can come up with any examples you want too, those are bad too (I'm not defending them) and they don't make up for an excuse when talking about this game or any other.

And you can call it "hate boner" if you like, I don't mind. In my eyes the game looks like shit, with things like melee combat that seems to feel like shit (no feedback when hitting something) to overuse of particle effects that made everything look like a mess. That's my opinion, if you want to call that "hate boner" then it's up to you.

Ofc it isnt. Well I dont mind cheesy enemys as long as the game is fun which is very much possible. I also like from games. And believe me devs could make killer ai but would get shit for games not fun anymore. So they cant really win I guess.
I agree that cheesing doesn't have to take out all the fun, but when it's so easily doable as in the video I posted it takes a lot of the fun imo.

Lots of games are cheesable too for sure, but at least they take some effort to achieve or are a bit harder to came by during normal gameplay.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I'm tired of this. My man I already made my point very clear: being able to cheese the enemies so fucking easily as to just turn around and walk away it's obviously a design flaw.

You can come up with any examples you want too, those are bad too (I'm not defending them) and they don't make up for an excuse when talking about this game or any other.

And you can call it "hate boner" if you like, I don't mind. In my eyes the game looks like shit, with things like melee combat that seems to feel like shit (no feedback when hitting something) to overuse of particle effects that made everything look like a mess. That's my opinion, if you want to call that "hate boner" then it's up to you.

I agree that cheesing doesn't have to take out all the fun, but when it's so easily doable as in the video I posted it takes a lot of the fun imo.

Lots of games are cheesable too for sure, but at least they take some effort to achieve or are a bit harder to came by during normal gameplay.

Do we know its through out the game or is it possible it might be a bug? I agree they could change this but maybe they already did with the day one patch. Let's wait and see how it goes.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Game looks fine, and will likely look even better on PC. The only thing that is "off" to me about the intro video (and that is all that "hour of leaked gameplay") is Frey's "idle" facial modeling. It looks. . .off.

. . .as for the voicework, totally fine too. Not great, not even close to "bad" - just fine in the sense that it isn't likely to get in the way of the story they are trying to tell (or vice versa).

Sure you have.

Why would someone lie about that? 😵‍💫

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Shes pretty but why does every black woman gotta pull their hair so much that it almost rips out of their scalp? That shit aint healthy for the skin, head, nor hair. Let the hair be free ffs or just tie it up more loosely.
Yeah I don't like that at all either, but she's still very cute. She'd be much cuter with fluffy hair imo.

Do we know its through out the game or is it possible it might be a bug? I agree they could change this but maybe they already did with the day one patch. Let's wait and see how it goes.
I can agree mate, maybe I'm jumping on conclusions too fast and that's just an issue on the demo build or that particular enemy.

Would be cool if the game turned out to be fun after all, but honestly imo it doesn't look like it'll be great.

mortal

Gold Member
Of course ResetEra are currently all crying over how racist this game is because the protagonist who's black begins the game in court...

Snowflake Dont You Say That GIF
Her dad is white, her mom is black.
She is successful so we have claimed her.
She is "actually" black.

gCQX5gL.jpg
She's biracial. Calling her black makes about as much sense as calling her white.
How can people just ignore 50% of her genetics? She doesn't even look black lol. She's barely a shade darker than the woman in blue.

I don't know why people are unironically using the one-drop rule in 2023, devised by actual racists in 20th century, but they need to stop, because it's retarded.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ok, a bit of a rant after seeing some parts of the video.

One isekai trope i really really hate is portraying people from "the past" as idiots. Just because a civilization is less developed than ours that doesn't mean they're stupid, especially one that can build large castles, has organized armies and courts.
If anyone reading this has any plans of ever writing an isekai story, please remember this.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Yeah I don't like that at all either, but she's still very cute. She'd be much cuter with fluffy hair imo.

I can agree mate, maybe I'm jumping on conclusions too fast and that's just an issue on the demo build or that particular enemy.

Would be cool if the game turned out to be fun after all, but honestly imo it doesn't look like it'll be great.

Don't get me wrong. Played the demo didn't like it but imo it was a bad demo in the sense that it had alot od optimization missing and I found the controls weird because character already had alot of skills. Only played for like 10 mins or so because of that.

Still preordered it because I found it around 50 euro instead of 80 tho. Iam hopeful but iam aware that the game might disappoint.

TintoConCasera

Don't get me wrong. Played the demo didn't like it but imo it was a bad demo in the sense that it had alot od optimization missing and I found the controls weird because character already had alot of skills. Only played for like 10 mins or so because of that.

Still preordered it because I found it around 50 euro instead of 80 tho. Iam hopeful but iam aware that the game might disappoint.
If that's the case then good luck bro, hope you end up having fun with the game. And yeah, imo demos sometimes aren't indicative of the final product.

Also... Might be a personal problem, but I also find it hard to feel immersed and invested in a demo when I'm thinking "yeah this is a demo, it's gonna end soon".

Hot5pur

Looks very playable. Need a good story driven game. Doesn't look like it will win any awards but production values and art are decent enough. Might grab if it's like 20ish hours and I can find it for like $40.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Every line is expository, typically showing what's on-screen to add insult to injury. Tonally its a mess, everything is cliche, the staging and direction seems disconnected and conspires to make it even less convincing (cat/bag/fire sequence is a shit-show of ineptitude).
Here comes the "BAD WRITING" argument that always comes up with every game. From Saints row to tlou2. Every single game got "bad writing".

Why are you guys being such stiffs?! Relax a bit. The game is trying to be young and hip and maybe that's good. Let's give it a chance first

Guilty_AI

I wouldn't say its bad, just mid.

Its a story with proper structure (which is a step ahead many games tbh), just a very predictable story with poor world building and annoying quirks, or at least thats what i got from what we've seen so far. But it should be possible to enjoy it if you lower your standards a bit, or if you're a teen/young adult which seems to be the target audience.

There's also always the chance of it becoming better as it goes, though i find that unlikely.

Last edited:

Hugare

Gameplay is fun, but visuals look like absolute dogshit on PS5

I swear that FF XV (used the same engine) looked better in terms of world design.

I thought Frey was Latino, but she is actually black?

As a brazilian I always chuckle at this "latino/latina" stuff

Here you'll find people from all colors, despite us being "latinos". I'm white, and in mediterranean countries, at least, I doubt that they would think that I'm from abroad.

To me she is simply black. A light shade of black, but black.

Fabieter

If that's the case then good luck bro, hope you end up having fun with the game. And yeah, imo demos sometimes aren't indicative of the final product.

Also... Might be a personal problem, but I also find it hard to feel immersed and invested in a demo when I'm thinking "yeah this is a demo, it's gonna end soon".

It's a bet but my expectations are in check so the chances of liking it are quite high tho.

Yea I kinda agree on the demo part. I try some to check performance and graphics but I never play alot on a demo.

Elysion

Banned
The protagonist is certainly pretty to look at, but personality-wise she seems a bit annoying.

I‘m also a bit surprised by how mediocre the graphics are, especially considering this isn’t even a cross-gen game. It doesn’t look bad necessarily, just unimpressive. I would’ve expected more from Square‘s first AAA game on current gen. The gameplay from the reveal of FF15 back in 2013 looked more impressive than this imo (as does FF16), at least from a technical standpoint.

TintoConCasera

Game feels emptier than Final Fantasy XV, that's a feat by itself.

Also, the actres looks better in real life by a long shot

oSqFHWw.jpg
Happens a lot in western games. Have you seen the model they used for Dina in TLOU2? Looks much better on real life too.

I dunno if it's on purpose or if it's just that face capturing isn't there yet. It's probably on purpose tho, but that's just my guess.

manfestival

Game looks pretty meh. In fact the character movement reminds me of the movement in many of the SE games I have seen as of late. Also the fps drops and stutters are pretty jarring

On a side note: I would let her isekai into my world... if you know what I mean :messenger_smirking:

supernova8

Banned
Oh according to Era this is some big ploy from Square to show how they hate black people.

No black people invited (to their knowledge) to preview events

White people (ugh the worst) writing the script.

The black character having troubles with the law and swearing a lot

They're claiming all this and the supposed lack of diversity of FF16 shows that Square are nothing but seething racists.

Lol if they made a "normal" black character someone one Era would find a way to come to the conclusion that it's just an "uncle tom", basically a white character with totally white traits that happens to be black. That's what happens when your goal in life is to be permanently offended and outraged.

Plus, it looks like they do have shit people writing the script but I doubt it has anything to do with skin color. I'm sure a shit white writer is just as shit as a shit black writer.

supernova8

Banned
If there is no leggy costume to unlock the modding community have some day one work to do.

ella-balinska-charlies-angels-premiere-in-london-0.jpg

Ella-Balinska-Feet-6330858.jpg

These legs being hidden is as much of a crime as DC trying to hide Wonder Womans thighs.
Yeah she is gorgeous... but I do wish she'd fix that gap between her front teeth. Just because her and a select few other models have dodgy front teeth doesn't make them cute or something.
Plus it does look like they have made her look ever so slightly less attractive in the game, probably to avoid the other end of the spectrum "OMG objectifying women you monsters!!!!!"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here comes the "BAD WRITING" argument that always comes up with every game. From Saints row to tlou2. Every single game got "bad writing".

Nah, what I watched (the NY prologue and the cuff intro in Athia) is straight-up bad for the reasons I outlined.
Its not in the same league as TLOU2, a game where you can fault the story and overall direction if its not your bag, but arguing that its not technically written and performed to an extremely high standard is patently false.

I feel bad for the actors because there's no way to deliver such turgid lines effectively.

To be fair it may improve later in the story, but its a simply terrible first impression.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah, what I watched (the NY prologue and the cuff intro in Athia) is straight-up bad for the reasons I outlined.
Its not in the same league as TLOU2, a game where you can fault the story and overall direction if its not your bag, but arguing that its not technically written and performed to an extremely high standard is patently false.

I feel bad for the actors because there's no way to deliver such turgid lines effectively.

To be fair it may improve later in the story, but its a simply terrible first impression.
FF7 writing is terrible
FF XV writing is terrible
Yet it is amazing.

It all depends if this game got the japanese charm or not

TintoConCasera

Yeah she is gorgeous... but I do wish she'd fix that gap between her front teeth. Just because her and a select few other models have dodgy front teeth doesn't make them cute or something.
Hey, I think that's cute. :lollipop_content: But only when the girl is hot.

Kvally

Banned

Some poor dude tried to demonstrate the "good gameplay" on twitter and he's getting roasted. And for good reason, being able to poke a few hits on an enemy, then running away and having said enemy stand in place instead of going after the player looks like bad AI.

I dunno, maybe they've improved that for the final build, but so far I haven't seen anything that screams "good gameplay".

And people thought Saints Rows 2022 was bad.....

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Some poor dude tried to demonstrate the "good gameplay" on twitter and he's getting roasted. And for good reason, being able to poke a few hits on an enemy, then running away and having said enemy stand in place instead of going after the player looks like bad AI.

I dunno, maybe they've improved that for the final build, but so far I haven't seen anything that screams "good gameplay".

And he can’t run away with out triggering unwanted traversal actions lol.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Gameplay is fun, but visuals look like absolute dogshit on PS5

I swear that FF XV (used the same engine) looked better in terms of world design.

As a brazilian I always chuckle at this "latino/latina" stuff

Here you'll find people from all colors, despite us being "latinos". I'm white, and in mediterranean countries, at least, I doubt that they would think that I'm from abroad.

To me she is simply black. A light shade of black, but black.
I was genuinely asking if she was Hispanic American or African American.

Sorry I did not find a better way to put it but I agree what you said! 👍

Top Bottom