• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken Load Times Are Barely A Second Long On PS5, Has Multiple Graphics Modes

assurdum

Banned
I highly doubt some actually care for loading times over graphics/performance. Especially in a fraction of a second in loading times, hence MY comment, and the comment I was replying to... I'd take a fraction of a second to have better graphics and performance, and I guarantee over 90% of Gaf will agree, no fanboyism would be needed to paint the obvious picture.
Why faster loading times should count less? I can smell the hypocrise there.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Reducing loading times is probably the greatest new feature set this new console generation has,

Anyone who ever tried borderlands 3 on a ps4 will know exactly what i am talking about.

This new forspoken game looks pretty dire to me but that loading, Fantastic.
Agreed , playing Elden Ring and barely having enough time to let out a fart before it loads after I die is amazing. If only we could get a blood borne update . That game needs faster load time.

I highly doubt some actually care for loading times over graphics/performance. Especially in a fraction of a second in loading times, hence MY comment, and the comment I was replying to... I'd take a fraction of a second to have better graphics and performance, and I guarantee over 90% of Gaf will agree, no fanboyism would be needed to paint the obvious picture.

Depends on the game I guess. If it’s one where you die a ton in and often faster loading might be desired over visuals. Like for example if one system lets you load in one second while the other takes two minutes it’s pretty obvious that the latter can get really annoying if you die often.

But in most cases if the difference is small then visuals are preferred over load times in most cases.

I’m not insulting you BTW.

Last edited:
"My penis erects 0.6 seconds faster than your penis"
Ron Burgundy No GIF

JaksGhost

"Forspoken Load Times Are Barely A Second Long On PS5"

I bet the logo when starting up the game however takes a minute and longer.
That’s typical for any game but if Square optimized the game like they did with FFVII:Remake you will only see those screens once. Starting the game from a closed state will put you right at the menu without splash screens and using the activity card to load your last save will put you almost instantly into the game.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Agreed , playing Elden Ring and barely having enough time to let out a fart before it loads after I die is amazing. If only we could get a blood borne update . That game needs faster load time.
Well it could've been true on last gen too if you have a huge gas capacity.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Corndog

Banned
Source: https://novicegamerguides.com/news/...cond-long-on-ps5-has-multiple-graphics-modes/

During GDC 2022, Luminous Engine’s technical director gave a demonstration of some of the technologies that they have incorporated into Forspoken.

In the case of the PS5, they have extremely fast load times thanks to the M.2 SSD in the PS5 console. The load times are so fast that they barely last a second. Compared to the PS5, the PC version can have load times as long as 2 to 22 seconds depending on the hardware.

The PC and PS5 versions will also benefit from the AMD FSR 2.0 implementation. There are different modes available in the game including a Quality Mode and a Native 4K mode. These will offer better performance while sacrificing some visual fidelity.

Microsoft has also helped with the development of the PC version with the Direct Storage support. A regular SSD might not compete with the load times of the PS5 version but an M.2 SSD can come quite close to it.
Doesn’t take long when everything looks the same.

PaintTinJr

I don't know why any PC gamer would worry about load times in games. It's never been an issue even if it's a few seconds. I'm much more concerned with rendering speed and quality.
That makes perfect sense because compared to consoles PCs have always had access to multiple times the RAM, so when 2nd gen cheap streaming storage reached consoles it had a much bigger impact on consoles than on PC because it helped data arrive just in time to that small memory to leverage the processing of the consoles better.

Despite the advent of clipmaps, it wasn't really until Carmack's second iteration of megatextures in Rage - underpinned by clipmap techniques - that the PC joined the streaming party.

The enthusiasm for the IO complex, Velocity Architecture and direct storage in the console space isn't about faster loading times as the objective. The whole end game is to have REYES streaming and do away with loading times completely. So at some point when REYES becomes the new standard for graphics engines on a console or consoles(probably 2027 at the latest), the HDD and SATA SSD, and possibly even the non RTX IO accelerated nvme SSD might not be enough for a 16GB RAM PC with a 12GB VRAM to stream the game, or stream as smoothly as the XsX/PS5,

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Source: https://novicegamerguides.com/news/...cond-long-on-ps5-has-multiple-graphics-modes/

During GDC 2022, Luminous Engine’s technical director gave a demonstration of some of the technologies that they have incorporated into Forspoken.

In the case of the PS5, they have extremely fast load times thanks to the M.2 SSD in the PS5 console. The load times are so fast that they barely last a second. Compared to the PS5, the PC version can have load times as long as 2 to 22 seconds depending on the hardware.

The PC and PS5 versions will also benefit from the AMD FSR 2.0 implementation. There are different modes available in the game including a Quality Mode and a Native 4K mode. These will offer better performance while sacrificing some visual fidelity.

Microsoft has also helped with the development of the PC version with the Direct Storage support. A regular SSD might not compete with the load times of the PS5 version but an M.2 SSD can come quite close to it.
antonio-banderas-closed-eye.gif

ahtlas7

won’t be touching this game without Gaf reviews. Honestly looks all flash, no soul.
I don’t care about scant second loading if it loads up shit.

elliot5

Why have native 4K mode when you have FSR 2.0? It’s better than native at 1/4 the resolution
It isn't great with particle effects / hair / transparencies which this game is full of so it could potentially degrade the spell effects a lot vs native res. I still expect an FSR 2.0 performance mode, but just be aware of that lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Insane if the PC can get close to the ps5 with the first implementation of direct storage. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up.

The storage needs to be direct in all PC games moving forward.
I dont know if you even need direct storage for load times. Just stick a 7.0 gbps ssd in there and every game will load in seconds.

i think red dead 2 is the only game that takes a long time. every recent game takes 2-3 seconds to load. Horizon was fast traveling in seconds.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Who said that?
You would be surprised, but then again, probably not....lol.

Its damn near the middle of 2022 and pre launch, launch year nonsense is still rearing its ugly head.

Amazing.

I even saw a post suggesting it would take more work to get FSR 2.0 to work on the PS5. Thats a valid opinion, but still...why someone would think that, I have no idea.

And as far as loading speeds being talked about so much....

You would think that loading actually getting worse as years went by
And damn near anything related to graphics getting better as years went by

Loading getting better would be talked about more.

Thats like common sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom