• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken |OT| Shut the cuff up

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nice OT.

I hope this game doesn't tank. It seems like it will but I feel like the team really put their heart into it and unless it's outright trash, I'd hate to see YT dogpiling ruin any excitement around it.. Sending good vibes even though I have no intention of playing it.

Unless the reviews for this tomorrow are in the "Good for everyone to play!" range of relatability, I see this thing crashing on PC. If there were a demo and SE just hadn't lost their minds with their pricing (including regional pricing which is some of the most egregious I've seen yet) I imagine this thing would be higher up for a game imminently releasing. Maybe SE is counting on this really doing most of the the leg-work on consoles and they've been compensated appropriately from SONY for that. We shall see.

. . .and we will ABSOLUTELY see YT dogpiling unless this thing somehow score in the "MIGHTY" range on OpenCritic. The posts from folks patting themselves on the back for CLEARLY being able to see the true quality of the game from the get-go are going to be something else. I expect to see many "Go Woke Go Broke" smug posts in the coming days.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Not surprising to have another big title where the lead cant shut the fuck up for 5 minutes. I hated Aloys non stop babbling with her "im passing a kidney stone forced voice" and the plague tale games are worse with hugos nonstop whining and amecias whisper talking. I wish these games would have an option to mute the main character entirely outside of story cutscenes.

Valedix

Gold Member
How much longer until reviews go live? Magic combat looks fun but man I don't think I can deal with the cringey dialogue.

Fabieter

What were the highlights? Looks fun to play.

The star is definitely the gameplay. I didnt mind the empty world because for me it was just like a sandbox for all the magic spells. Story started really slow but got bigger and more interesting in the end.

It has its flaws but its definitely worth a shot. My biggest negative was actually the soundtrack while not bad nothing stood out to me.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Me when watching this:
DtuXpkT.jpg

Fools idol

Banned
jesus wept, that dialogue made my face implode from cringe.

Who actually talks like that? they obviously have an audinece they are targeting but it certainly isn't 99% of people here.

Jaybe

The star is definitely the gameplay. I didnt mind the empty world because for me it was just like a sandbox for all the magic spells. Story started really slow but got bigger and more interesting in the end.

It has its flaws but its definitely worth a shot. My biggest negative was actually the soundtrack while not bad nothing stood out to me.
Thanks! So many games nowadays are lacking in quality gameplay so that’s awesome to hear the game does a great job in what is the most important area for a game.

KiteGr

If the whole Woke movement wasn't imploding right now, this would had been recieved defferently.
Otherwise, it looks basic as cuff! As if they asked an AI to design a generic video game.

I was about to check it out, but they've lost me at DLC. Now I'll have to wait for a complete edition.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's so silly how people actively want this game to be bad.

If it's bad that's just unfortunate we missed out on a good game. Why would you be rooting for that?

For some basic ass reasons too. Like we're really grousing that "people don't talk like that" when they discover they have magic powers. Yeah. No kidding. I would say at MINIMUM 50% of the pushback I've seen on this game has nothing to do with this game in particular; you watch - once these scores start rolling in and if we get this game trending on the low end of 70, the same people who will routinely tell you how corrupted by the "Woke Mob" the games media is and how nothing they say can be trusted, will jump in here pointing to the low review scores as evidence of "Go Woke Go Broke!" That is if it fails critically of course. . .if it passes muster it's back to "The games media is corrupted and not to be trusted!"

. . .TLDR: regardless of the imminent scores, this will be a day of victory for the seasoned "Cultural Warrior."

I was about to check it out, but they've lost me at DLC. Now I'll have to wait for a complete edition.

. . .a singleplayer SE product with DLC. Heavens.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
JFC this is (average) Netflix production level of bad.
Im old enough to remember the graphical adventures on the 90s being fun, with creative characters, not being afraid of offending anyone.
that why games like High on Life are so important, and sadly so rare these days.
😆. nah.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Are you asking in earnest or are you playing dumb just so you could then completely disregard whatever genuine response that I could have for this question and continue shitposting?
I am genuinely asking because i dunno if the "importance of these kind of games" means what I am thinking.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I am genuinely asking because i dunno if the "importance of these kind of games" means what I am thinking.
It's about having a bold vision and sticking to it, even if it doesn't conform to modern sensibilities. Forspoken is blatantly pandering to an audience that only exists on Twitter, while High on Life takes a risk at being more provocative, politically incorrect, and irreverent, not to mention being just more creative and interesting than Forspoken in pretty much every respect. Frankly, Forspoken looks creatively bankrupt in comparison.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
If I can offer any advice, don't tarnish your brand new high end system with this.
I thought the demo was decently fun, but it looked and perfromed like raw asshole on the ps5, so im hoping the pc fairs better. Definitely a waif for sale game for me though

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It's about having a bold vision and sticking to it, even if it doesn't conform to modern sensibilities. Forspoken is blatantly pandering to an audience that only exists on Twitter, while High on Life takes a risk at being more provocative, politically incorrect, and irreverent, not to mention being just more creative and interesting than Forspoken in pretty much every respect. Frankly, Forspoken looks creatively bankrupt in comparison.
oh. i can see that. Now:

my first reply assumed you were just talking about the writing. i am glad is not.

the things you point out and allued with the:

"bold vision and sticking to it, even if it doesn't conform to modern sensibilities

definitively, i agree with that, but i would encompass this sentiment as:

"The importance of Auteur videogames"

from David Cage, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Davey Wreden-William Pugh, Fumito Ueda, Johnathan blown, Jenova Chen and of course Hideo Kojima and i will argue even Neil Druckman (among many others).

the upcoming Stellar Blade is also an example of this.

being Kim Hung Tae the founder and creative director (famous illustrator) of the studio having this bold vision that doesn't conform to modern sensibilities.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Never tried the demo. Trailers gave me the same impressions as everyone else. Empty world, decent looking traversal, pretty cool looking combat, unpolished last gen jank, annoying cast, a fucking talking piece of jewelry.

Will probably give it a go in 2025 on some Holiday Under $20 sale on the PSN.

GymWolf

Some more advanced combat footage for people on the edge, i didn't watched it because i don't want any spoiler but there is no story bosses etc, just combat with powers you get very late in the game.

Top Bottom