• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite 2.4: Nexus War |OT| Now a licensed Marvel shovelware game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Update tonight in the deep AMs, and one of the (I hate this term) ‘content creators’ was nice enough to share what Epic sent them in an email.

Ckhsco4.png

No. I have the super special Battlepass that features an actual tree.
Sigh, I know it seemed obvious to you but I was confused by your "20 tiers dedicated to a tree" bit so I asked for confirmation.

Looking at the BP now I guess you were saying you don't like any of the Groot-related cosmetics? Personally I only like the backblings and the skin itself, the glider and pickaxe are literally gnarly.

Anyway, every BP has always had one troll/goofy skin around the middle to prolong the time it takes to get the later skins. Just that this time all the surrounding cosmetics are related to the character, which is great if you like the skin and bad if you hate it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, just teasing, Hawks Eclipse Hawks Eclipse :messenger_winking:

I played for the first time in a while today. The giant new area is so beautiful. At some point, you’re fishing on a serene lake, watching the leaves swirl by, and the autumn trees for miles... and you almost forget you’re in a Battle Royale. Their art and tech team is unbelievable.

I was really impressed with the Build-a-hero thing too. I expected one-time customization. But, you get all those pages after pages of appearance options forever, and can create almost anything out of the base character. It almost demands to be bought, because it’s relatively such a ridiculously good deal.

Groot has his uses! :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

I love these videos. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I still remember a friend and I falling for the old Mega Mall one, where toy-like skins would get rid of the actual displays in the toy store, and just stand there motionless. We somehow won that, despite both of us laughing so hard we could barely play.

Btw, just teasing, Hawks Eclipse Hawks Eclipse :messenger_winking:

I played for the first time in a while today. The giant new area is so beautiful. At some point, you’re fishing on a serene lake, watching the leaves swirl by, and the autumn trees for miles... and you almost forget you’re in a Battle Royale. Their art and tech team is unbelievable.

I was really impressed with the Build-a-hero thing too. I expected one-time customization. But, you get all those pages after pages of appearance options forever, and can create almost anything out of the base character. It almost demands to be bought, because it’s relatively such a ridiculously good deal.

I love these videos. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I still remember a friend and I falling for the old Mega Mall one, where toy-like skins would get rid of the actual displays in the toy store, and just stand there motionless. We somehow won that, despite both of us laughing so hard we could barely play.
It's cool, now I know you're easily treegered by Groot...

Oh, if you're not getting some of the daily quick challenges done I can kind of see the frustration with earning the BP rewards.

The hero cosmetics are a real winner this time with only the cape being a stinker IMO.

And I'd say the introduction of holo back blings is the biggest brain move they've done in a while. Now we finally have a better use for all those emoticons that felt like BP fillers in the past.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's cool, now I know you're easily treegered by Groot...

Oh, if you're not getting some of the daily quick challenges done I can kind of see the frustration with earning the BP rewards.

The hero cosmetics are a real winner this time with only the cape being a stinker IMO.

And I'd say the introduction of holo back blings is the biggest brain move they've done in a while. Now we finally have a better use for all those emoticons that felt like BP fillers in the past.

I honestly don’t care that much, lol. It briefly irritated me, then I thought to play it up on Gaf, and that it could be funny.

I completely agree on holo back blings. Every season, I just stare at the emoticons and ask, ‘Why?’. I mean, some are cool, but it’s just such a painfully obvious leftover from before the dances really started coming in/filler. But with this, they just turned 14 seasons of hundreds (thousands?) of useless trinkets into something cool overnight. Big Brain is exactly it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I started off because I just wanted to throw them a bit of money to support the game (and also have a permanent, not randomly picked default), after having the time of life with it in the early seasons.

I don’t think I ever looked back. It’s weirdly indescribable, and it shouldn’t really matter, but it’s just fun to take these skins into the game, and play as them. It’s also kind of neat to match the theme of whatever’s going on. I’m using the old Chapter 1 Season 4 superhero skins rn, mostly Carbide (with the lights : ), for the first time in a while, for example. Last season, it was also super fun to use all the aquatic/diver skins.

I honestly don’t care that much, lol. It briefly irritated me, then I thought to play it up on Gaf, and that it could be funny.
Okay, figure I should clarify something. I didn't think you actually had Groot being this rent-free tree growing roots in your head, I just wanted to have some fun with words.

That also happens to be one of the fun parts about Fortnite that I enjoy a lot: their wordplay.

I started off because I just wanted to throw them a bit of money to support the game (and also have a permanent, not randomly picked default), after having the time of life with it in the early seasons.

I don’t think I ever looked back. It’s weirdly indescribable, and it shouldn’t really matter, but it’s just fun to take these skins into the game, and play as them. It’s also kind of neat to match the theme of whatever’s going on. I’m using the old Chapter 1 Season 4 superhero skins rn, mostly Carbide (with the lights : ), for the first time in a while, for example. Last season, it was also super fun to use all the aquatic/diver skins.
Matching the theme of your drop spot or the season is definitely fun.

It's also fun to purposely contrast with the theme. EG. Wielding Doom's superpowers as John Wick.

Some time ago, I'd randomize either my back bling or pickaxe, then pick out a bunch of other cosmetics with the randomized item as a base, otherwise I'd end up gravitating towards certain skins all the time.

In case anyone wants to know who's behind some of the cool cosmetics, search for "Fortnite" on Artstation and browse through the results.

Some of it is fanart but the official stuff should be easy to identify. Besides the beautiful art, it's also nice to read the artist's thoughts on them.

Here are two current examples:
Wolverine: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Aqo0Rz
She-Hulk: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KrRAD9

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Oh Lord...I can't even let myself think about all the money I've spent on Fortnite cosmetics and skins. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

For me, it's a big part of the fun of the game. I love mixing up different sets to find cool, pretty, or silly combinations of looks and emotes.

I'm having a lot of fun with the customizable Super Hero right now. Still, I've mostly stuck with a pretty boring aesthetic of just "black-garbed assassin girl" for hiding in the shadows better...who also can send a big heart or "GG" emote to the sky for those she recently released from the burdens of BR island life. :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've got a great tip for this game.
Delete this fucking shit now, it is cancerous shovelware for tards with adhd.

I hated it too, at first. I thought it looked ridiculously juvenile and found it incredibly upsetting how quickly I would die even trying to learn the game.

Then I started trying to play it my own style...at the time, more of a Tenchu-esque sneaky strategy style. After that, I started slowly getting better. I slowly learned how each type of weapon worked, I learned the layout of the island, and how to slowly get closer to taking out all the "sweats."

I still remember how amazing it felt to win that first solo game. I've since gone on to win almost 400 solo matches over many hours of play.

I have been constantly amazed with how well Epic listens to the community for suggestions, as well as blown away at the dedication to new content week after week. I've had countless unforgettable and joyful experiences. I've seen incredible things in this game that have never been attempted anywhere else...such as a 100-person battle royal while two massive kaiju fought each other to death and permanently changed the landscape, as well as watched an at least 800 ft tall man perform an unforgettable cosmic musical performance live to millions of players.

It's also quickly becoming the "M.U.G.E.N" of modern gaming...Where else can John Wick team up with Batman and Iron Man and fight against a Demogorgon and an army of Storm Troopers while Galactus tries to devour the earth?

I know it's in to publicly hate on whatever phenomenon is currently popular. Really though, the game can super fun when given a chance. :)

-Arcadia-

Banned
The special weapons are obnoxious.

I like the Great Plateau they added 😁

I haven’t really ran into them in a bad way yet. That Iron Man beam though, is crazy. I keep running into situations where I land a devastating hit and they pop me with that at the same time, and we just about take each other out.

I guess the counter is to create a decent number of builds to hide in, and keep moving, so they can’t know where you are (as it punches through, for anyone unaware).

And thanks for dropping in the final puzzle piece of the explanation why I love the new area. Lol. It kind of resembles Akkala too.

BlackM1st

Banned
How Silver Serfer's board is not an automatic "YOU WON" lol What can beat conduit of Galactus energy? lmao Makes no sense (canonically wise ;D )

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, the Collector landmark is kind of cool, because if you break the display glass and take a closer look, it’s all stuff from the old island. Nothing major, but a really neat little nostalgia trip. Seeing a piece of the old meteor made me smile.

How Silver Serfer's board is not an automatic "YOU WON" lol What can beat conduit of Galactus energy? lmao Makes no sense (canonically wise ;D )

Not only that, this thing has lost me two VRs. A bloody mythic that zooms you up into the air to make you a giant, turtle speed Duck Hunt for every player on the map.

I hated it too, at first. I thought it looked ridiculously juvenile and found it incredibly upsetting how quickly I would die even trying to learn the game.

Then I started trying to play it my own style...at the time, more of a Tenchu-esque sneaky strategy style. After that, I started slowly getting better. I slowly learned how each type of weapon worked, I learned the layout of the island, and how to slowly get closer to taking out all the "sweats."

I still remember how amazing it felt to win that first solo game. I've since gone on to win almost 400 solo matches over many hours of play.

I have been constantly amazed with how well Epic listens to the community for suggestions, as well as blown away at the dedication to new content week after week. I've had countless unforgettable and joyful experiences. I've seen incredible things in this game that have never been attempted anywhere else...such as a 100-person battle royal while two massive kaiju fought each other to death and permanently changed the landscape, as well as watched an at least 800 ft tall man perform an unforgettable cosmic musical performance live to millions of players.

It's also quickly becoming the "M.U.G.E.N" of modern gaming...Where else can John Wick team up with Batman and Iron Man and fight against a Demogorgon and an army of Storm Troopers while Galactus tries to devour the earth?

I know it's in to publicly hate on whatever phenomenon is currently popular. Really though, the game can super fun when given a chance. :)
Fantastic write up. I dismissed the initial rumblings around late 2018 in part because I'd read that it was a ripoff of PUBG and I attributed its sudden success in part to it being free (sounds familiar right?).

Finally gave it a try when it launched on the Switch but only decided to dedicate more time to it when they finally implemented gyro controls which are still borked to this day IMO.

It really sunk its hooks into me when 50v50 was a common fixture. That mode brought me back to the craziness that I experienced in LAN BF1942.

Over time as I started to learn the intricacies of building and editing, I concluded that it was the most unique core mechanic that Fortnite offered. I do vacillate between admiring its brilliance and getting annoyed at how effective it can be though.

The zany yet appealing artstyle is definitely a winner and like you said it's got that mugen thing going on haha.

Uhm, technically we didn't get to engage in a BR during the final showdown; the appeal of that event, like most of them, was that you got to choose where you viewed it from, sort of like being your own cameraman on foot in realtime.

And this is off topic but if you like the idea of witnessing huge kaiju fights while in human size or even piloting the mecha itself, make sure to check out EDF 4.1!

Edit: Fixed an autocorrect typo which resulted in "borked" becoming "bored".

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
PS5 trailer. Landscape shots looked so good, I didn’t even recognize the game at first. I think the level of detail, even far out, really got pushed up. The clouds also look fantastic.

General gameplay seems to be more what you’d expect.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's Epic granting the wish of Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes by adding the unibeam.

I actually wanted to comment on that. Lol. MIB (Sweet acronym) started it, then we were all complaining, quite literally, about men in boxes. Days later, there’s an update with like 15 kinds of superpowers to smash people turtling in boxes.

Good on Epic. I immediately noticed a jump in playability and fun, as everyone wasn’t boxing all of a sudden, and I couldn’t figure out why. After seeing the new powers, I definitely could, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom