• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

It finally happened yesterday! I came 1st for the first time, in a location I decided to camp since the beginning of the match (as soon as I landed), and won with 1 kill as the whole map shrunk around me.

Come at me, bros.

(Saved the video but it's only the last 15 minutes. Will upload it soon).

Gator86

They're iterating on this game like crazy. They deserve the numbers they're seeing.

Man the aiming is so damn weird. Crouched with a purple scar and still not hitting dudes center mass.

Agreed. Sometimes I feel like it's better to just spray at the head and hope for a lucky headshot rather than trying to play it more conservatively.

-Critical hit damage on shielded players is now displayed in blue, like other displayed shielded damage numbers.
Yay.
Stats
Fortnite Battle Royale stats make an appearance in this release! Stats will be backfilled for the launch of this new feature. Check out the Stats tab on the FNBR home screen.

Oh shit! They're backfilling stats. Niiiiice.

majik13

It makes for a better spread of people, if like me you prefer jumping out later than most people it means you aren't giving the 'first jumpers' a 3 minute head start.

I thought that had a good balance, jump out early to get a decent head start but risk a higher percentage of encounters, or wait on the bus, loosing some valuable time, but decrease chances of encounters.

Update sounds great love the weapon changes. Stats though! Awesome that they're backfilling them, can't wait to see them. Next up progression then hopefully more combat tweaks before new maps or landmarks!

why not hit the little blue targets to destroy the tree faster? Though I guess the guy was gonna die either way if he no longer had a bridge to escape onto.

Does this make more noise to surrounding people than otherwise? Always thought that was the trade off; more resources and speed for more noise/risk. Haven't watched the vid, was just curious.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I thought that had a good balance, jump out early to get a decent head start but risk a higher percentage of encounters, or wait on the bus, loosing some valuable time, but decrease chances of encounters.

I personally don't think you lose out on anything jumping out later. I don't know what the early jumpers are getting a head start on. If anything, I think it's harder to find items if you jump out early because you are fighting more people for the same resources.

majik13

I personally don't think you lose out on anything jumping out later. I don't know what the early jumpers are getting a head start on. If anything, I think it's harder to find items if you jump out early because you are fighting more people for the same resources.

Meant more of a headstart before the storm comes, IIRC I think Ive landed right when the storm comes, meaning I needed to hoof it right away since it was across the map. While people who jumped out earlier generally had more time to search places and loot, before they are forced to move.

Im sure its not a big issue to change it up, and make things faster...

The ๖ۜBronx;251714915 said:
Does this make more noise to surrounding people than otherwise? Always thought that was the trade off; more resources and speed for more noise/risk. Haven't watched the vid, was just curious

I have a feeling it does, but I think it wouldnt have mattered in this case.

It makes falling faster, so you wont be able to get half way across the map at the start. You have to now wait patiently on the bus to get to the other side.

ah, I totally read it wrong, I thought it meant you could travel across the map faster while skydiving, but its actually the falling speed.

So I originally thought it was making it, that it didnt really matter when you jumped, since youd be able to get to any part of the map faster.

But looks like it will do the opposite, which I think is good.

*Splinter

You can jump out immediately and fly most of the way across the map. For most locations it's faster to jump out immediately than wait for the bus to get closer to your intended destination.

Although it seems this patch will change that. I don't think it will translate to a big tactical/spread change but if it makes that whole skydiving segment quicker then good.

Wait, what does this accomplish?

I'm all for the increased bus speed. But why increase skydiving speed? Just for people that want to get into the game quicker?

It makes falling faster, so you wont be able to get half way across the map at the start. You have to now wait patiently on the bus to get to the other side.

Excited for stats, but Im really surprised that they still dont have cosmetics/loot boxes yet. Thats going to be the hook for many people.

You can jump out immediately and fly most of the way across the map. For most locations it's faster to jump out immediately than wait for the bus to get closer to your intended destination.

Although it seems this patch will change that. I don't think it will translate to a big tactical/spread change but if it makes that whole skydiving segment quicker then good.

It actually depends on where the bus is going. If you where headed to a location the bus is also travelling to, it's faster to wait and dive straight down. The only way to match the speed of the bus is to dive straight down. I heard it said that it was faster to dive out straight away, but it just isn't. Terminal velocity cannot be achieved trying to go parallel with the ground. I've tested it loads. I've jumped out straight away, glided across the map as fast as I could, landed, only to find the building was already gutted. But it's a different story if the location is to the left or right of the bus. There you have to judge the optimal angle.

It actually depends on where the bus is going. If you where headed to a location the bus is also travelling to, it's faster to wait and dive straight down. The only way to match the speed of the bus is to dive straight down. I heard it said that it was faster to dive out straight away, but it just isn't. Terminal velocity cannot be achieved trying to go parallel with the ground. I've tested it loads. I've jumped out straight away, glided across the map as fast as I could, landed, only to find the building was already gutted. But it's a different story if the location is to the left or right of the bus. There you have to judge the optimal angle.

It's not that straight forward because no matter how fast you dive, the umbrella portion is the equalizer. Often times it's better to come in at a bit of an angle to speed up the umbrella drop a bit. So the optimal jump point under the current system is a middling distance that's almost impossible to figure out exactly.

I say almost because I'm sure with enough time, dedication, and math someone could figure it out.

*Splinter

It's not that straight forward because no matter how fast you dive, the umbrella portion is the equalizer. Often times it's better to come in at a bit of an angle to speed up the umbrella drop a bit. So the optimal jump point under the current system is a middling distance that's almost impossible to figure out exactly.

I say almost because I'm sure with enough time, dedication, and math someone could figure it out.
The umbrella opens a certain distance from the ground and drops at a constant rate. You want it to open as far from your target as possible (as long as you will be able to glide to your target) and ideally above a valley/river/lake.

The umbrella opens a certain distance from the ground and drops at a constant rate. You want it to open as far from your target as possible (as long as you will be able to glide to your target) and ideally above a valley/river/lake.

You can speed descent during umbrella if you can get a pendulum-like motion. I.e. Swing to the left aways then a quick turn to swing to the right.

It's hard to say if the net time is faster, slower, or the same but there's definitely mechanics/physics that can speed approach.

I don't disagree with what you're saying necessarily. Just pointing out that it's not straight forward.

*Splinter

You can speed descent during umbrella if you can get a pendulum-like motion. I.e. Swing to the left aways then a quick turn to swing to the right.

It's hard to say if the net time is faster, slower, or the same but there's definitely mechanics/physics that can speed approach.

I don't disagree with what you're saying necessarily. Just pointing out that it's not straight forward.
I meant to say "I think..." because I'm not 100% sure about that. Hmm, I'll do some more experimenting next time I play and see if I can observe any difference.

majik13

it does seem that you can quicken it if you are turning/spiraling down as opposed to just slowly floating straight down. But its hard to tell.

Has Epic ever mentioned why the umbrella auto-deploys at all? It seems like an unnecessary mechanic.

Im guessing so people dont just fall to their death, though they could deploy it right before you hit the ground. Otherwise, maybe its a way to force people to be able to check their surroundings and for potential other players landing in the same area. To give you more time to react and adjust your plan. Kinda gives a safety net in this regard I guess. otherwise it could lead to most people landing on the ground with no idea if other players are around or not. Anyways, just a guess.

Has Epic ever mentioned why the umbrella auto-deploys at all? It seems like an unnecessary mechanic.

Because it auto deploys in PUBG... Also, the game incorporates fall damage (like PUBG) If you fail to time the deploy correctly, youll be dead before getting a chance to even play the game, which effectively lessens the challenge when people are dying during the initial dropping phase.

I suppose you could argue you just need to get good at it, and it'd be a way to weed out the AFKers by killing them on drop.

Gator86

it does seem that you can quicken it if you are turning/spiraling down as opposed to just slowly floating straight down. But its hard to tell.

Im guessing so people dont just fall to their death, though they could deploy it right before you hit the ground. Otherwise, maybe its a way to force people to be able to check their surroundings and for potential other players landing in the same area. To give you more time to react and adjust your plan. Kinda gives a safety net in this regard I guess. otherwise it could lead to most people landing on the ground with no idea if other players are around or not. Anyways, just a guess.

Hmmm, I guess it seems to me like something you'd want to leave up to players. Extra decision-making - get to the weapons first but also lose the ability to scout and maybe die from fall damage. Doesn't seem to be a lot of upside to pulling the choice out of players' hands.

Just got my second win though. Took like 10 top 3 finishes to get it though. I need to mess with the building more. I just ignore it because I don't enjoy the mechanic that much but it's a useful tool to have in the bag, I suppose. Got lucky with an epic Scar from a supply drop halfway through and that was a wrap for the others.

Newman96

So I've not played this yet or PUBG or anything similar of this kind before...is this sort of game easy to pick up? I've played plenty of competitive shooters.

Gator86

Christ, immediately followed the win with a game where I couldn't find a gun until the final 30 people and got killed because I couldn't get the game to acknowledge that I was hitting buttons to close doors or pick up items. Highs and lows.

So I've not played this yet or PUBG or anything similar of this kind before...is this sort of game easy to pick up? I've played plenty of competitive shooters.

Yes. Very easy. It's why these games are so popular. Don't worry about dying. Just enjoy the walk, take your time. You can easily land on top 10 by doing nothing at all lol. However, it's challenging when it's your time to die.

Gator86

2nd win mostly sneaking until the last couple kills, then unable to find a gun for the entire game and die when buttons don't work, then 3rd win clearing the last ten people single-handedly.

The three games I've played today have been the full gamut of experiences.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Is Epic aware of this issue with the game not responding to button presses?

Doors not opening, guns/ammo not picking up, etc.

It's infuriating.

Jarrod38

I really hate this game at times. I can go matches only find the regular weapons or I can matches finding blue and purple everywhere.

Gator86

Is Epic aware of this issue with the game not responding to button presses?

Doors not opening, guns/ammo not picking up, etc.

It's infuriating.

I'm fairly sure someone mentioned Epic being aware of it when I mentioned it earlier in this thread. It's absolutely infuriating beyond belief and seems inexplicable for a dev who also owns this engine. How do you fuck up basic buttons working on your own engine?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I cheese the umbrella by aiming for the sea. Allowing me to go as low as I want since the auto deploy doesn't trigger.

Gator86

The pickaxes is shit for melee. Give us better melee weapons for more fun.

Agreed. I don't see why they're not 2 or 3 hit kills. Maybe even 1 from behind. Would reward stealth and cleverness and also not leave you completely, 100% fucked if you run into a gun before finding one. The melee makes no sense and is bad. Making it less bad would make every player dangerous from the start and reward smarter play.

majik13

Agreed. I don't see why they're not 2 or 3 hit kills. Maybe even 1 from behind. Would reward stealth and cleverness and also not leave you completely, 100% fucked if you run into a gun before finding one. The melee makes no sense and is bad. Making it less bad would make every player dangerous from the start and reward smarter play.

yeah this is a good idea

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The pickaxes is shit for melee. Give us better melee weapons for more fun.
This game is designed with gun combat first and foremost, the axe is made for crafting, not melee. Definitely don't try relying on that and it would absolutely terrible if they were one or two hit kills with those hitboxes.

Gator86

This game is designed with gun combat first and foremost, the axe is made for crafting, not melee. Definitely don't try relying on that and it would absolutely terrible if they were one or two hit kills with those hitboxes.

Sure, but you can also disagree with design choices and I think this one is bad. Sure, hitboxes aren't great, but you absolutely should not get hit 3 times before killing the person if you have a gun.

My problem is if you don't get a gun you're fucking impotent. If I see someone without a gun, I just laugh at them and gun them down without a single worry.

The game is better when everyone is a threat at all times. Also, the stealth kill options would allow for a ton of risk/reward gameplay. You get a silent kill without exposing your position and are immediately in position to grab their gear.

If this mode wasn't thrown together at light speed to grab PUBG money, I don't think melee would be so shitty.

HiiiLife

They should include melee weapons for people who happen to be on the unlucky side of dropping in shitty neighborhoods. I don’t see a problem with the high risk/high reward. A frying pan should be nothing to a shotgun toting player in the beginning of the match.

Plus i think it’d fit right in with how cartoony this game already is.

Give melee players a reason to play smart, instead of having us hug the edge of the circle for 8 minutes hoping we’ll survive long enough to find a decent enough weapon.

Regular Fortnite has melee weapons designed in it. They could bring those over and boost the damage over the pickaxe without destroying anything.

Gator86

For those of you who don't think the axe is a good melee weapon, I preset to you evidence to the contrary :p

Fucking game lagged right when I was trying to land so I missed the chest. Then I was going to gather wood to go up, but I noticed someone else landed there. So I went after him :p

Haha as I mentioned the first time I posted on it, melee only works against people who have clearly never played a video game before or are afk. It's so bad.

Haha as I mentioned the first time I posted on it, melee only works against people who have clearly never played a video game before or are afk. It's so bad.

Well in his defense, he had the scoped AR which is kinda hard to use in close combat. So I don't feel too bad about it. Honestly he should have switched to hix axe right away since he had the shield advantage.

Top Bottom