• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

DMvfExM.gif

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
What does this mean? I haven't actually watched any PUBG (or H1Z1)

PUBG is a slow methodical sim-like game that has FPP ADS even in TPP mode. H1Z1 is a fast paced frag fest that is generally played TPP with TPP ADS though some switch to FPP indoors.

Basically if you watch a match of high level H1Z1 and then watch a match of high level PUBG you will realize that the minute to minute gameplay is completely different even though the mode itself is very similar.

FNBR is TPP with no FPP ADS or cam switch unless you are using a scoped weapon. The overall feel of FNBR is closer to H1Z1 than PUBG. Once vehicles are added it will feel even more like H1Z1 as they will speed up minute to minute gameplay.

*Splinter

PUBG is a slow methodical sim-like game that has FPP ADS even in TPP mode. H1Z1 is a fast paced frag fest that is generally played TPP with TPP ADS though some switch to FPP indoors.

Basically if you watch a match of high level H1Z1 and then watch a match of high level PUBG you will realize that the minute to minute gameplay is completely different even though the mode itself is very similar.

FNBR is TPP with no FPP ADS or cam switch unless you are using a scoped weapon. The overall feel of FNBR is closer to H1Z1 than PUBG. Once vehicles are added it will feel even more like H1Z1 as they will speed up minute to minute gameplay.
Thanks, makes sense.

I'm surprised so many games stick with TPP, it's so cheesy (for PvP)

What the hell is ADS?

JP

I downloaded this on PS4 a couple of days ago but couldn't play it as I needed to buy an early access pack (can't remember what it was actually called), does this thread mean that it's now out of early access on PS4 and therefore free to try?

I downloaded this on PS4 a couple of days ago but couldn't play it as I needed to buy an early access pack (can't remember what it was actually called), does this thread mean that it's now out of early access on PS4 and therefore free to try?

No, you have to wait til the 26th to truly paly it. Sorry, pal.

[OT] PS4 Ultimate Battle Ground imo

I'm hoping this is good seeing as we don't know when the other version will hit PS4

I downloaded the free version over the weekend, I guess that will just unlock tomorrow?

Thanks, makes sense.

I'm surprised so many games stick with TPP, it's so cheesy (for PvP)

How many? TPP has taken a battering over the last 15 years, there has been hardly any mainstream games outside of Gears of War and Uncharted and both of them aren't true third person shooters, more over the shoulder.

*Splinter

[OT] PS4 Ultimate Battle Ground imo

I'm hoping this is good seeing as we don't know when the other version will hit PS4

I downloaded the free version over the weekend, I guess that will just unlock tomorrow?
I think things like this will encourage Bluehole to hurry up with a port :)

*Splinter

How many? TPP has taken a battering over the last 15 years, there has been hardly any mainstream games outside of Gears of War and Uncharted and both of them aren't true third person shooters, more over the shoulder.
Ok I probably exaggerated a bit, but I thought all the BR games are (primarily) third person. I know PUBG added first person now.

It's just kind of frustrating when you find a decent game and can only think "this would be even better if people couldn't see around corners". Drawn to Death was the most recent one for me.

*Splinter

The ๖ۜBronx;249946392 said:
Can they though, thought they were beholden to Microsoft for a time period?
Probably, although I don't think we know for sure.

As a completely uneducated guess I'd think they're fully focused on leaving early access and not even started on a PS4 version yet, in which case a timed exclusivity deal might not be finalised yet (and will become more expensive as Bluehole realise that other Devs are ready to steal their lunch on PS4).

Or more likely the deal is already done and this makes no difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fantastic title, I'm all in. If this pops up on PS4 no matter which country, I will download it immediately.

Maybe the OP can link the GAF Fortnite Discord?

Gotta say the unique base building and destroying mechanic of the game has me intrigued compared to Battlegrounds. Being able to bust through a building really changes things up.

Ok I probably exaggerated a bit, but I thought all the BR games are (primarily) third person. I know PUBG added first person now.

It's just kind of frustrating when you find a decent game and can only think "this would be even better if people couldn't see around corners". Drawn to Death was the most recent one for me.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from because I started online gaming playing SOCOM PS2 and spent many years playing FPS games and thinking "man I wish this was a TPS"

I don't think the FP view in PUBG feels good to play at all yet, I do like FPS games but PUBG for me is still vastly superior in third person even with folk waiting behind a wall for me.

Memnoch

I'll give it a try. That other developer brought my attention to this game, so really looking forward to it now.
Yeah, I wouldn't have known about it if not for pubg mentioning it. Now I'm super stoked to play Fortnite.

It is part of the games mechanics though. Outside of these kind of games look at rainbow six siege etc, it is part of the mechanic. You have to be very careful when going around corners, it is part of the skill of the game.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Been waiting for squads so the wife and I don't get banned for teaming. Ready to jump back in tomorrow!

Ted

Answered my own questions partially:

- Can anyone confirm this is the case and any progress made while playing on PS4 will carry over if/when I pick it up on PC?

Item and progression is carried across platforms as long as you link your PSN account and Epic account.

- I believe the main game has has native keyboard and mouse support even on PS4, is this also the case for this battle royale mode?

Epic's [very limited] number of support articles for PS4 seem to imply it is compatible by virtue of their being an article titled I am having trouble playing with keyboard and mouse on PS4 and the answer not being, "this is not supported, use a controller".

It did/does appear to have some problems in menus however where no cursor appears. Not sure if this has been fixed but I'll give it a go.

I guess controllers have super heavy assistance as a result?

Can anyone confirm that keyboard and mouse is native and usable throughout the game now [and specifically in this PvP mose]?

- Have the performance issues on PS4 that were reported widely at launch been ironed out (original PS4, not the revised PS4 Pro model)?

Can't find a definitive answer on this (beyond it being limited to 30 max on consoles).

DF tested it at launch and reported the PS4 version to be performing poorly and indeed below the XB1 version but have not revisited it. Players themselves have reported performance improvements so I guess some gains have been made?

Is Fortnite F2P? I thought it was a retail game. Or is this mode just free? I plan to play on both my PC and Xbox One, if that helps answer my question.

arimanius

Been playing this off and on for a week. It's a really fun take on the BR genre. Looking forward for everyone to be able to join in and hopefully Epic has some good things in store.

*Splinter

Is Fortnite F2P? I thought it was a retail game. Or is this mode just free? I plan to play on both my PC and Xbox One, if that helps answer my question.
Fortnite is not free, the Battle Royale mode will be free from tomorrow.

Fortnite itself is planned to go F2P sometime next year (iirc)

The main game is in early access for $40. Theyre selling the early access copy at retail. When the full game is complete, in 2018, it will be f2p.

This side mode will be entirely free to play on all platforms when it is released tomorrow.

jeffc919

I'll pick this up for my kid who sees me play PUBG and wants to play but it isn't out yet on console. Hopefully he has some fun with it. As for me, it's way too cartoony so I'll pass.

Probably, although I don't think we know for sure.

As a completely uneducated guess I'd think they're fully focused on leaving early access and not even started on a PS4 version yet, in which case a timed exclusivity deal might not be finalised yet (and will become more expensive as Bluehole realise that other Devs are ready to steal their lunch on PS4).

Or more likely the deal is already done and this makes no difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They must have signed some kind of deal with MS and I would be very surprised if a minimum term of console exclusivity is not dictated (probably 6 or 12 months). Especially if MS is providing development support.

dude had the higher ground

He must have seen Revenge of the Sith.

Top Bottom