• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite on Nintendo Switch now supports motion controls

Not a big fan of fortnite but I'll give it a download now and try it out. Gyro aiming on the Switch is way better than using sticks

WaterAstro

This is really great since it was done first, or one of the first, on Killzone 2.

I think if you dial down the sensitivity just right, it will help with sniping quite a bit.

Well at least we are seing 3 options there:
  • Motion Sensitivity.
  • Motion Targeting Sensitivity.
  • Motion Scoped Sensitivity
Wonder if decopling X and Y values independently for motion would have been better? But maybe highvalues for the thumbstick for quick camera scans and using the motion to correct is the way to go. We'll need to see an actual skilled player that bothers to invest some time with it to see how the implementation ends up faring.

Also it seems aim assist is turned off or dimished when using motion.
This is really great since it was done first, or one of the first, on Killzone 2.

I think if you dial down the sensitivity just right, it will help with sniping quite a bit.
The Killzone 2 implementation is actually the "inverse" of aiming. It was born because the developers tried to simulate more accuratly the sensation of using a sniper rifle and wanted an alternative to the rather in vogue at the time "hold your breath" button.

How it's implemented is that the motion controls the reticule sway. The less the user moves the controller the more steady the aim is. Yes, it can influence reticule poistion but the fact that is limited only to the Sniper and not other weapons; and that there are not adjustment options to control sensitivity of the motion shows what was the actual purpose. The Killzone game that had good motion aim controls was 3 and years later Mercenary on the Vita.

Some of the earliest really good aiming games using only Gyro that i can think of are Wii Sport Resort, Red Steel 2 and Face Raiders. However, i think the best Motion Aiming was achieved in Wii and Wii U games that both used the gyroscope and IR sensor for an hybrid type of aiming: Conduit, Skyward Sword, Metroid Blast, Pikmin 3, etc. Metroid Blast specially is top of the line too as far as aiming goes, a missed opportunity really since it wasn't implemented in an stand alone Wii U shooter.

Last edited:

Shifty

Nice! More games need to take advantage of gyro aiming- console camera control has been languishing in analog-driven relative movement terriotory for far too long.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Can you play with 2 joycons separate so the motion sensing is limited to the right joycon? I always preferred the split controller gyro aim set up to having it in a regular controller PS4/ProController style.

I don't understand how gamers like this in Splatoon and in this. I tried this and turned it off after two minutes, I don't get it. Also makes me feel nauseated to watch, and Mirror's Edge didn't even get me to feel like that.

WaterAstro

Well at least we are seing 3 options there:
  • Motion Sensitivity.
  • Motion Targeting Sensitivity.
  • Motion Scoped Sensitivity
Wonder if decopling X and Y values independently for motion would have been better? But maybe highvalues for the thumbstick for quick camera scans and using the motion to correct is the way to go. We'll need to see an actual skilled player that bothers to invest some time with it to see how the implementation ends up faring.

Also it seems aim assist is turned off or dimished when using motion.

The Killzone 2 implementation is actually the "inverse" of aiming. It was born because the developers tried to simulate more accuratly the sensation of using a sniper rifle and wanted an alternative to the rather in vogue at the time "hold your breath" button.

How it's implemented is that the motion controls the reticule sway. The less the user moves the controller the more steady the aim is. Yes, it can influence reticule poistion but the fact that is limited only to the Sniper and not other weapons; and that there are not adjustment options to control sensitivity of the motion shows what was the actual purpose. The Killzone game that had good motion aim controls was 3 and years later Mercenary on the Vita.

Some of the earliest really good aiming games using only Gyro that i can think of are Wii Sport Resort, Red Steel 2 and Face Raiders. However, i think the best Motion Aiming was achieved in Wii and Wii U games that both used the gyroscope and IR sensor for an hybrid type of aiming: Conduit, Skyward Sword, Metroid Blast, Pikmin 3, etc. Metroid Blast specially is top of the line too as far as aiming goes, a missed opportunity really since it wasn't implemented in an stand alone Wii U shooter.
Hmm that's not how I remember it. I remember that if you had a sniper rifle, you can use gyro control to aim.

Can you play with 2 joycons separate so the motion sensing is limited to the right joycon? I always preferred the split controller gyro aim set up to having it in a regular controller PS4/ProController style.
Yes, you can. This is pretty much the case for any Switch game that supports motion aiming.

Hmm that's not how I remember it. I remember that if you had a sniper rifle, you can use gyro control to aim.
i already explained what was the actual purpose and use of the Gyroscope in Killzone 2. The Sixaxis Gyro wasn't up to the task of supporting a game which aiming is based on it, the feature was even removed for part 3 were motion aiming was relegated to Move only. There's even comments on this board back in the day:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/best...-motion-control-thus-far.345737/post-14035483

"The best use is in Killzone 2. You control the how steady your aim is with the sniper rifle by how still you can keep the controller. "

To repeat again what i said, it is more about steading the reticule to diminish gun sway than moving it around the screen, although it was indeed possible to do that to some extent. One of the game features was that explotions caused the controller to vibrate, so if the user was aiming through the sniper when one happened there was an extra bit of effort to keep the crosshair steady.

To be clear i like the implementation but Killzone 2 is a game based on thumbstick aiming still.

More like people don't wanna hold their arms up for hours at a time
12 years after the Wii released and this missconception still exists. If the user wants just small movements of the hand suffice not that much different from a mouse with the advantage that is less restrictive in terms of confort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom