• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite (PC/PS4/XB1/Mac, Epic Games) enters early access on July 25

I'm kinda upset they ditched character creation, but they seem to have a good amount of characters I like the look of.

I'm glad it's on console, though I hope there is some drop in elements for the team portion.

Looks fun overall.

Is it more than just a random assortment of levels now where you just build a small fort and try survive or has it become something larger where building a fort of that size in the trailer makes sense? I remember the original pitch was to explore for gear by day and defend by night but that wasn't the case when I played the beta.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm sorry, the art is great and I love the look but this just looks like another game everyone will quit come September with destiny 2 hitting, and cod in nov.

I don't even know if there is a place for a game like this anymore either the more I think about it. What 12-16 year old is going to have the patience to build forts when he can go press a button twice and be 360 no scoping bad kids all day.

Sorry guys, I don't see this being a success.
I dunno, Minecraft did pretty ok.

I'm sorry, the art is great and I love the look but this just looks like another game everyone will quit come September with destiny 2 hitting, and cod in nov.

I don't even know if there is a place for a game like this anymore either the more I think about it. What 12-16 year old is going to have the patience to build forts when he can go press a button twice and be 360 no scoping bad kids all day.

Sorry guys, I don't see this being a success.

What? Kids love building shit. The ea prices are crazy but it should be fine once it's free.

J3ffro

Part of me was certain this was never coming. I'm not loving the idea it is F2P, but if the progression isn't too slow that's fine. Progression is a good thing, glacial progression to make you keep reaching for your credit card kind of sucks. Though, I love building shit in games, and I enjoy tower defense and TD type things. Probably the most hyped I've been for a game in a long time, pretty stoked we're only about 6 weeks out.

AaronMT86

Looks fun, I think it will succeed largely on how long each of the 'matches' (what constitutes a match?) are and how quickly you can jump into a 'match' (e.g, Overwatch and PubG). Ex, if your teammates are crap, how long do 'round's' last, etc.,

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Damn, life is strange. I thought about this game last night while laying in bed and thought to myself how Epic had made a mistake in choosing this as property to be the Trojan Horse/Flagship/Poster Child for UE4 but I can confidently say that I was wrong. This game looks absolutely amazing and I regret writing it off so readily. Definitely a day-1 purchase for me. It looks like it'll scratch that Counter Strike Source Zombie Mod itch I've had for nearly a decade.

EDIT: This one may have been obvious, but I'm digging that nod' to Glenn with the Outlander player type. Pretty cool.

DOWN

Banned
I was very excited about this back when they first showed it off and was sad it was PC only. Boy has time passed and things changed

This seems like another game dead on arrival, i dont think it will have a community for more than 3 months.

I was super hyped when this was first announced, years ago, but now...Meh.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The animation is pretty good, for what it is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wow, that's changed quite a bit since last it was shown. Looks cool, hope the performance is good on x1, I'm interested

Laieon

For some reason I thought this was cancelled awhile ago.

Looks great though, I'll definitely check it out.

g11

c3Azb3V.png

Does that lady have a Clap Trap for a right leg?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Looks interesting, but the fact that it's F2P and seemingly designed to perpetuate endless purchase of stuff in order to be played properly--if that Eurogamer stuff is to be believed--makes me go ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :/

Grisby

This does look interesting (some shades of Sunset for sure). I'll be checking out the console versions to see how they run. I'm also curious how fun the loot/grind will be (if it has enough staying power to be fun at all).
Looks fun, I think it will succeed largely on how long each of the 'matches' (what constitutes a match?) are and how quickly you can jump into a 'match' (e.g, Overwatch and PubG). Ex, if your teammates are crap, how long do 'round's' last, etc.,
I'm curious about this myself. Wondering how long the matches will take and how well you can fare playing alone.

Momentary

Banned
I had a blast with this game about a year ago. Decided not to touch it after my initial binge in hopes that things would get even better and so that I wouldn't spoil myself.

Maybe the game can just be it's own thing and it's inappropriate to try to compare it to other games?

Nah. It's perfectly fine to attempt comparisons to give folks anchors in their understanding. I can give detailed written explanations of mechanics and many will still have an easier time understanding where a game is coming from with a comparison. This is also why developers and marketers use them.

It's odd that some believe comparison denigrates a work. Trust me, devs would rather a game sell.

This game wasn't on my radar before, but the e3 trailer got me interested.

I'm glad they decided to go the lighthearted cartoon route, the market is oversaturated with grim bloody survival zombie games already, so this game would not have stood out at all if they did that.

RedSwirl

After looking at this trailer, I might be down for this.

Usually anything involving tower defense is an automatic "pass" from me, but this looks somewhere between regular TD game and Gears 3 horde (with a bit of Gears 4's class system). I don't like just clicking on forts and just watching them defend themselves from enemies but the concept suddenly becomes more interesting to me if I can take an active part.

Looks like I'd almost exclusively play soldier.

mindsale

Literally thought this game came out six years ago until a thread a few months ago reminded me it never released.

Edit: The trailer looked a little Left 4 Generic. I hope they still emphasize the base-building elements.

Early access and will become f2p?

Man the trailer is awesome but I thought it would be a fully finished game.

F2P means a fuckload of grinding or annoying microtransactions too.

I'm out.

Interesting game ruined by awful business model.

Sorry for double post, but holy fuck look at this: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/pre-order

Everything that is wrong with gaming on one page. I really loved the trailer but this just screams "WE WANT TO MILK YOU DRY" and will be a game that is more focused on getting money out of you rather than providing an awesome gaming experience.

When will these awful trends die?!

Reminds me of Evolve in all the wrong ways. Game has to be the next Minecraft to succeed at this price point. Best of luck to Epic but I'm not touching this at £35.

TheRed

I've been in the alpha for a long time and it's always updating but I haven't gone back to it in a long time. I'm not sure how much it's improved, I did like the little I played, the gameplay was fun to me.
The structure if the game was all I was unsure about. I gotta try it again

BigEmil

Wow never heard of this before but this looks really fun day 1 on ps4

Pretty similar to Agents of Mayhem

What if you were buying a fully finished game with all the content there, without needing to pay more for it or grind for hours to unlock it?
£30 is the ceiling for me with most games. I might stretch to £35 if people on my friends list are playing it most evenings. But this isn't on Steam so it makes that slightly less appealing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The last time i had heard about this was in like 2011....time sure flies

Remember being so hype for the next generation of gaming and wondering if they were going for a left 4dead style of team based play

Top Bottom