• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite players on Switch will no longer be matched with Xbox One and PS4 cross-play parties

Shin

Banned
Epic Games has seemingly given up on trying to make the playing field level in Fortnite across all platforms, with the recent discovery version 8.10 no longer matches Switch users with Xbox One and PlayStation 4 cross-play parties.
Prior to this update, solo Switch players were able to play with and against users on rival platforms and now owners of Nintendo's hybrid device will be limited to the mobile pool, fighting to the end for a battle royale victory against iOS and Android users. According to Epic, it'll be a better experience for everyone this way.

While some may disagree with this decision, for a long time now, the Switch iteration has been accused of not being able to keep up with the competition due to performance issues and a 30fps cap. At the start of this year, a bullet glitch was even discovered by Digital Foundry, revealing how higher performing versions of the game (on other platforms) had an advantage in battle - with the gunfire rates in these versions able to deal more damage per second than 30fps versions.

On the other hand, it will likely to be hunting season for Switch owners now as they are pooled with players using devices that don't even have physical buttons and are reliant on touch input.

Credit: NintendoLife
Source: EpicGames

Personal note: oh the fucking irony in this...even more so when Epic pushed for cross-play.

DanielsM

Banned
Credit: NintendoLife
Source: EpicGames

Personal note: oh the fucking irony in this...even more so when Epic pushed for cross-play.

I would think this would/should go into the duhhh bucket. :) I have never understood all this cross-play stuff, generally it makes sense for console players to play with console players, and mouse/keyboard PC players to play with PC players, let alone other technical differences.

Thank you for the information.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

So where's the cross play advocates now? They were so outraging so hard for cross play. That's right. They don't even play the game and moved on to outraging something else.

Was the issue here purely that they were at a disadvantage of people communicating better because they were in party chat, or was it some other kind of technical disadvantage of playing on Switch hardware?

A better experience having people playing on a cellphone vs Switch users?

Great joke mate.

My iphone xs max version has 60fps, from that article, it seems that even at 30, it was struggling on switch. How is that even possible? Is the switch hardware worse than the iphone?

Shin

Banned
My iphone xs max version has 60fps, from that article, it seems that even at 30, it was struggling on switch. How is that even possible? Is the switch hardware worse than the iphone?
Smaller screen, lower resolution and A12 Bionic still kicks most if not all mobile SoC's ass and it's last year's model even.
If anything the fault would lie with Nintendo for not releasing a more capable machine, but that's just how they've always rolled.

ethomaz

Banned
I predicted these situations when the crossplaygate happened last year... it was obvious they will force crossplay even for these that didn’t want it and worst to a player pool you don’t want to play with.

But I was told that there is no harm with crossplay, it is a win-win, etc etc.

I’m against crossplay because I like to play against players with the same options than me or in easy terms the same ecosystem... I have a PS4 so I want to play only against PS4 players... even Pro players I find unfair due performance disvantages most games has compared with Pro.

For me Crossplay has more bad than good things.

I did not hate because it was a option even I making the prediction that publishers will force it over you...

I’m fine with an option that I won’t use but now you will what happened... you accept an option you receive forced shit over you.

So cross-play doesn't work anymore if a Switch players wants to enter in a party with PS4 or PC players? That's lame.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
As an ipad pro 2018 model user. More powerfull then the xbox one s in gfx and more powerful then macbooks.
I do not want to play against switch users...

How is that for a change.

Iorv3th

I predicted these situations when the crossplaygate happened last year... it was obvious they will force crossplay even for these that didn’t want it and worst to a player pool you don’t want to play with.

I’m against crossplay because I like to play against players with the same options than me or in easy terms the same ecosystem... I have a PS4 so I want to play only against PS4 players... even Pro players I find unfair due performance disvantages most games has compared with Pro.

I did not hate because it was a option even I making the prediction that publishers will force it over you...

I’m fine with an option that I won’t use but now you will what happened... you accept an option you receive forced shit over you.

I bet everytime you die in fortnite you yell that it's unfair and the guy that killed you was playing on a PS4 Pro or something.

Akuza89

To be fair...most of the people actually playing this on the switch won’t notice or be bothered... most are aged between 6 and 13...

Let’s be honest, everyone tried it for a bit then realised you can play an online only game on the go so we didnt bother anymore....

ethomaz

Banned
I bet everytime you die in fortnite you yell that it's unfair and the guy that killed you was playing on a PS4 Pro or something.
I don’t play Fortnite but it will be really bad if that happens... fair playfield is something that should be 1st in dev intentions.

My biggest concern with Pro was just games playing with different performance but Sony lies saying they demanded equal performance.

Today you will the shitshow that are games with 3 or more different performance profile actors PS4 and Pro.

I’m PS4 Amateur forever and I’m now against mid-gen upgrades because there is no way to delivery same performance across different hardware.

Last edited:

NickFire

To be fair...most of the people actually playing this on the switch won’t notice or be bothered... most are aged between 6 and 13...

Let’s be honest, everyone tried it for a bit then realised you can play an online only game on the go so we didnt bother anymore....
That is not even remotely correct in my experience. In my experience kids in that age group are getting Switches specifically to allow them to play against their siblings. This completely screws that up it seems. It does in my house anyway.

Undo this Epic. Just warn switch players that the other consoles have an advantage and keep it op in.

Roitorb

So if I’m on Xbox and my son was on switch we wouldn’t be able to play together anymore or am I being thick?

Whitecrow

Banned
Universal crossplay is the feminism of videogames lol
Its cool to act like everything is equal and please some people, but soon enough the reality will puch our faces

Codes 208

As I said in the other thread, I’ve played all five versions of the game. (Pc, ps4, Xbox, mobile and switch) and there’s no real advantage that ps4 pro and Xbox one x have over the base models aside from resolution and some higher shadow settings.

Performances were identical, once you get used to their respective controllers it feels about the same, and the both are essentially locked at 60fps. The only real issue is m/kB users but here’s the deal: epic knows that they have and advantage so ps4 players using a m/kB at actually put into pc lobbies by default.

As for switch. We’ll switch is the black sheep of the console versions, it has low rendering speed (try landing in tilted, the buildings take a minute to load properly sometimes) and the frame rate usually sticks around 24-26 so it’s by far the lowest performing version and forcing that into the pool with Xbox and ps4 would’ve been disastrous for switch owners. “Oh but what about mobile?” Have you played on mobile? I have. Mobile users have auto-aim and auto fire features to keep a level playing field and it’s not like you can buy a $30 phone at Walmart to play. You need a phone like a galaxy 9+ or an iPhone 8 just be able to play with low settings at 30+fps

Last edited:
So where's the cross play advocates now? They were so outraging so hard for cross play. That's right. They don't even play the game and moved on to outraging something else.
This is a bad argument. A very, very bad argument.

I don't play Fortnite, but I am a huge cross-play advocate. This is a very specific problem here, an outlier situation - the Switch performance of the game is simply too poor for people to be able to play fairly against each other.

Mind you, joining them up with smartphone users isn't the solution either. That's just dumb.

The single most important factor when implementing cross play is that everyone is on an even play field. Meaning that people on controllers should only join up with other players using controllers, and keyboard and mouse players should likewise be lobbied together. And that performance across the board should be uniform. - each version needs to run at the same framerate, except in the case of turn based games. The lack of foresight on Epic's part is entirely on them, nobody else.

None of these considerations make cross-play a bad idea. Your confirmation bias is through the roof right now.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

None of these considerations make cross-play a bad idea. Your confirmation bias is through the roof right now.
You're funny since the topic is Fortnite cross play and not cross play in general. Cross play with PC, Console, and mobile was a bad idea from the get go. The hardware discrepancy was so glaringly obvious that people didn't even bother to address it. The only way to fix this is to downgrade the game to the lowest common denominator hardware, which is the Switch. Guess what's going to happen...that's right people will bitch on consoles and PC that they can't have the highest graphics/frame rates. Your confirmation bias is through the right now.

FFXI and FFIV is a great implementation of cross play. You couldn't even tell the difference between console and PC. When you're doing competitive games, you just can't have across the board cross play.

Last edited:
You're funny. Cross play with PC, Console, and mobile was a bad idea from the get go. The hardware discrepancy was so glaringly obvious that people didn't even bother to address it. The only way to fix this is to downgrade the game to the lowest common denominator hardware, which is the Switch. Guess what's going to happen...that's right people will bitch on consoles and PC that they can't have the highest graphics/frame rates. Your confirmation bias is through the right now.
Except...

1) The hardware discrepancies are only an issue with the Switch.

2) It doesn't apply to every game.

You seem to be applying this weird logic that everything must be created equally, or not exist at all. That's not how technology work. The fact that one game went around it badly doesn't stop it from working perfectly fine for others - Rocket League, for instance. The benefits for the developers, publishers and consumer are more than worth it.

zeorhymer

You seem to be applying this weird logic that everything must be created equally, or not exist at all. That's not how technology work. The fact that one game went around it badly doesn't stop it from working perfectly fine for others - Rocket League, for instance. The benefits for the developers, publishers and consumer are more than worth it.
I clarified my reply. I'm not in the mood to chase goal posts.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How about fixing the dependence of gun fire frequency on framerate instead? If people want to play with PS4 / Xbox One users, even at a disadvantage, why not let them?

Smaller screen, lower resolution and A12 Bionic still kicks most if not all mobile SoC's ass and it's last year's model even.
If anything the fault would lie with Nintendo for not releasing a more capable machine, but that's just how they've always rolled.
Nintendo always rolled that way? Nah, not until the Wii, really. I dunno, Maybe the Gamecube too. It had them little baby disc's

Sure thing now we will witness a big outrage all over the internet, from youtube channels to Microsoft executives preaching on the wrongness of those evil companies which neglect crossplay to us the gaming community.

tenor.gif

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I find it hilarious that those against cross play are more often than not the biggest console warriors and fanboys on whatever forum it's being discussed. Grow the fuck up.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I find it hilarious that those against cross play are more often than not the biggest console warriors and fanboys on whatever forum it's being discussed. Grow the fuck up.
It's never been about against cross play, it's about one side will get an advantage with another. From my view, the only way that cross play can work well is if 1) all the endpoints have similar processing power and inputs or 2) the game is designed to artificially bring the endpoints to the same level. Even back back in 2002, cross play was doable with FFXI on PS2, XBox and PC. I don't like blanket cross play because a lot of games aren't set up for different environments. So when you get a game blanket cross play without actually looking what you have and you have to back pedal because it doesn't work, you'll get backlash and bad PR.

Virex

Banned
So if I’m on Xbox and my son was on switch we wouldn’t be able to play together anymore or am I being thick?
No you aren't being thick. But I do regret telling you that not only won't you be able to play together anymore. Epic is going to come take your son away also. But......you can buy him back or you can create an Epic Store account and buy 1 game and Epic will return your son to you unharmed(but he will have to sign an Epic Store exclusivity deal for the chance that he might make a game in the future). They are taking the Switch though

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Epic probably wanted Nintendo to sign a crossplay exclusivity deal and Nintendo said no:messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned

Umm, I dont think that many phones have lower than 720p screen these days, not even cheapest ones.

And I bet that iphone isnt one of those.

Switch is just weak, it were kind of weak vs best mobile chips(if they would have same cooling) even when it got released

sendit

They're enjoying triple A classics like Crackdown 3....chill dude

FStubbs

Considerably. Apple is 2 years ahead of any other mobile chips right now.

spawn

Remember when Sony was the odd one out on crossplay and cross-play advocates were saying that Microsoft and Nintendo were joining forces to take down Sony by doing cross-play. Now all of the switch players got shat on by Xbox and PS4 players. Now the kids on switch are going to shit all over the mobile phone users.

Iorv3th

Remember when Sony was the odd one out on crossplay and cross-play advocates were saying that Microsoft and Nintendo were joining forces to take down Sony by doing cross-play. Now all of the switch players got shat on by Xbox and PS4 players. Now the kids on switch are going to shit all over the mobile phone users.

Can't you use a controller on a phone? I saw a setup where someone was using a mouse and keyboard on a phone.

Top Bottom