• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite players on Switch will no longer be matched with Xbox One and PS4 cross-play parties

Doczu

Switch players when Fortnite crossplay with consoles gets announced

PiT5vUR.gif

Switch players after a few rounds of cross-play
CalmCelebratedAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

Switch players after they hear they still can smash with mobiles.

PiT5vUR.gif

Stuart360

Switch players when Fortnite crossplay with consoles gets announced

PiT5vUR.gif

Switch players after a few rounds of cross-play
CalmCelebratedAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

Switch players after they hear they still can smash with mobiles.

PiT5vUR.gif
Hilarious, and my favorite film, the double whammy!.:messenger_sunglasses:

Mattyp

Gold Member

I find this news extremely amusing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I seen a chance to meme inside a meme, please forgive me.

survivetogther.png

In all seriousness this makes sense for this sort of situation, Minecraft and alike other games where crossplay makes sense, or systems it makes sense for I'm 100% behind.

Fbh

My iphone xs max version has 60fps, from that article, it seems that even at 30, it was struggling on switch. How is that even possible? Is the switch hardware worse than the iphone?

Yes?
We have always known the Switch runs on mobile hardware and you are comparing a $1100 phone released in mid-late 2018 by the best mobile chip maker on the market with a $300 device released in early 2017

Switch version would hold back the game’s evolution into next gen.
This is my take too.

Maybe they already have plans for features in the future which weaker phones and the Switch will struggle with so they are making a clear cut between the Mobile/handheld version and the home console/ PC one.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
ykno i agree with this.

pool 1: ios/android/switch
pool 2: ps4/xb1 + PC

mobile + switch have such awkward controls, don't have stable internet connections, and are limited by small screens so they should be lumped together. OK if you played Fortnite on your switch with a Pro controller + large TV + wired internet you can complain but you're in the minority so shut up.

ps4/xb1 are played on large tvs with a half decent controller (unlike the awful joycons) and have at least stable wifi or wired connection. PC you can play with either controller/kbm and most likely you have a wired connection.

it's the same with any other game. people piss and moan that "muh cross play!!1!1!!" but good luck playing on a 6" touch screen vs someone playing at 144hz with a KBM on PC. when that happens you get more pissing and moaning "it's not fair!!!1!!! i don't like it!!"

Last edited:

ph33rknot

Banned
sad to see so many on this forum are just fan boys no reason anyone should be happy about a smaller pool of people to play with

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Switch players would actually have an advantage if the system was capable of 60 fps because of the gyroscope controls.

NickFire

Last night some of the outlets updated their stories. If I understand correctly now, Switch players can still party up with Xbox / PS4 players and play together like before. But if Switch players are not in a party with someone on Xbox / PS4, they will be pooled with only Switch / mobile players for matchmaking. If this is accurate, I have no issue with Epic's decision because families and friends can still play together on Switch and Xbox / PS4.

spawn

Can't you use a controller on a phone? I saw a setup where someone was using a mouse and keyboard on a phone.
It's not just using a controller. On the switch you have a bigger screen if it's docked and a higher framerate than a mobile phone user

ethomaz

Banned
It's not just using a controller. On the switch you have a bigger screen if it's docked and a higher framerate than a mobile phone user
Switch has lower framerate if I'm not wrong... it is capped to 30fps while mobile can go up to 60fps.

The specs hype from when the Switch was new seems to have gotten people to think the Switch has better hardware than the Iphone.

The Switch has lots of limitations the best thing about it is the Tegra and that's about it and even that's not all that great unless it's docked.

octiny

Banned
Is the switch hardware worse than the iphone?

It's not even close to the A12 SOC (iPhone XS), taking the obvious cost difference out of the equation. iPhone XS version runs at a native resolution of 2688x1242 60FPS max eye candy versus 30FPS 432P-720P dynamic on the Switch, temporal upsample is used to to push it to 1600x900 when it hits native 720P number, and again used to hit 720P temporal upsample if it's native res drops below 720P.

Switch uses a heavily downclocked Tegra X1 SOC (GPU @ 307mhz handheld/768mhz docked) which is insanely outdated to current flagship hardware. Even the previous years A11 & A10 SOC's ran circles around it (iPhone 8/X & iPhone 7). It's more comparable to the A9/VR GT7600 unit in the iPhone 6S which it trades blows with.....but that's if it ran @ stock speeds of an X1 SOC (GPU 1000mhz).

101670.png

What's even more impressive is the A12X SOC used in the iPad Pro's. This years A13 in the iPhones will look insane (which is always a step up from the previous years high-end "X" version used in it's iPad Pro's).

103785.png

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've played a huge amount of Fortnite strictly on the Switch with the Pro Controller ever since it was released on the platform in Season 4. Before crossplay integration, I had just over 100 solo wins. After crossplay was introduced, I only won around 12 games.

Now that they've recently removed crossplay with PS4 and Xbox One, I suddenly find myself winning pretty regularly again. It's definitely a very noticeable difference.

By the way, Switch players can still party up with friends on PS4 and Xbox One...they just aren't queued together for Solo mode.

(Also, I'm one of those embarrassing 40-year-olds. The game is really fun...what can I say?)
meow.gif

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well this wont be popular in my house, one kids plays on the switch together with the other on the xbox..........

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Well this wont be popular in my house, one kids plays on the switch together with the other on the xbox..........

They'll be okay! Switch players can still party up with friends on PS4 and Xbox One...they just aren't queued together for Solo mode. :)

Doczu

I love the idea of cross-play, for games like Minecrsft it's something huge and satysfying, because it's more of a calm game. But for Fortnite? I didn't voice my opinion when it was announced, but i tried it on my buddy's switch, even teamed with him (i'm on Pro) and it just didn't work.
It's great you can play the game on the Switch, but you can't say you have the same chances as the bog consoles. I personally wouldn't want to play it that way.

ethomaz

Banned
I've played a huge amount of Fortnite strictly on the Switch with the Pro Controller ever since it was released on the platform in Season 4. Before crossplay integration, I had just over 100 solo wins. After crossplay was introduced, I only won around 12 games.

Now that they've recently removed crossplay with PS4 and Xbox One, I suddenly find myself winning pretty regularly again. It's definitely a very noticeable difference.

By the way, Switch players can still party up with friends on PS4 and Xbox One...they just aren't queued together for Solo mode.

(Also, I'm one of those embarrassing 40-year-olds. The game is really fun...what can I say?)
meow.gif
That just shows how unfair for players is Crossplay :(

NickFire

meow.gif
You have over 100 solo wins? Holy Shit. My best ever is second place I think. My kids can kick my butt, and after never crossing the finish line to a solo I drifted to save the world. Almost PL 100 in that mode.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Oh no Switch solo queue won't be matched with PS4/Xbone....

I'm so perturbed....

On a more serious note, I've always found the "Everyone should have a level playing field," take kind of a joke when it comes to crossplay.

You never hear that about PC vs PC; you play with the equipment you paid for.

Same general rule applies to sports and any other thing that requires equipment/tools to conduct; as a mechanic if you buy a cheap tool, the tool may not be the best and could drop the quality of your outcome (Your fix).

We're all playing the same game; if you show up to the field in lesser quality but still new equipment, you may be at a disadvantage to the people who have higher quality new equipment.

If you can't play well in 5 dollah sandals, you might need to buy that 60 dollah pair of cleats.

NickFire

I'm so perturbed....

On a more serious note, I've always found the "Everyone should have a level playing field," take kind of a joke when it comes to crossplay.

Same general rule applies to sports and any other thing that requires equipment/tools to conduct; as a mechanic if you buy a cheap tool, the tool may not be the best and could drop the quality of your outcome (Your fix).

We're all playing the same game; if you show up to the field in lesser quality but still new equipment, you may be at a disadvantage to the people who have higher quality new equipment.

If you can't play well in 5 dollah sandals, you might need to buy that 60 dollah pair of cleats.
When this thread first popped up the news reports suggested that Switch could not play with PS4 / Xbox at all. They updated the reports later to clarify people in parties can still cross-play even if one was on Switch. No one was jumping the gun, just going off incomplete reporting. But I agree with the rest of your post. I'm cool with crossplay but if crossplay leads to parity demands, its time to end crossplay altogether. Except for Fortnite, because allowing Switch players to party up with PS4 / Xbox alleviated many fights between siblings. For fortnite crossplay stays, and the little brothers on Switch just need to accept they have a disadvantage.

ethomaz

Banned

I'm so perturbed....

Sports regulate the same or similar equipments for all players in every tournament... even amateur.

Cars, balls, racket, etc... all regulated to be fair to everybody.

So skill matter more than equipment that are similar to everybody.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
When this thread first popped up the news reports suggested that Switch could not play with PS4 / Xbox at all. They updated the reports later to clarify people in parties can still cross-play even if one was on Switch. No one was jumping the gun, just going off incomplete reporting. But I agree with the rest of your post. I'm cool with crossplay but if crossplay leads to parity demands, its time to end crossplay altogether. Except for Fortnite, because allowing Switch players to party up with PS4 / Xbox alleviated many fights between siblings. For fortnite crossplay stays, and the little brothers on Switch just need to accept they have a disadvantage.
I understood from the beginning how it went, and that's my honest reaction to it.

I never mentioned anything about anyone jumping the gun, only that I was jokingly perturbed that I couldn't play Fortnite cross play, either in its entirety or limited to having to join a specific way. I also do not play Fortnite lol.

Crossplay and discussions on for or against it, from a console standpoint, is odd to me; I've always played on both console and PC and wouldn't ever think to complain that someone with dual 1080tis has a higher fidelity or framerate advantage above my own, particularly because of things like tick rates are more well known in the PC community, and arguably tick rates are deployed better on PC than on console. Same thing with input devices; PCs offer the capability to do both KB/M and controller, so it's more about the players taste.

A local gaming pub I go to has actually taught me a good grip of PC players actually play on a controller for gaming because it feels more natural for them; muscle memory developed for them on Gravis game pads and stuff. It got me to play through games like Nier Automata on a controller instead of using the keyboard.

I dunno, just posting out loud to myself I guess. Just never really understood the "I'm buying something prepackaged and has to cater to mine and my communities exact taste," versus "I'm buying something custom so I can make it to my tastes."

Can't play a game if you don't have players; opening up to more potential candidates IMO would be a good thing. Equal playing field means everyone has an equal chance of playing, and isn't about how well they play based on their equipment.

Sports regulate the same or similar equipments for all players in every tournament... even amateur.

Cars, balls, racket, etc... all regulated to be fair to everybody.

So skill matter more than equipment that are similar to everybody.
Right, and in terms of IT, there is regulation to the equipment. I can't put PS4 software on my PC and play it, among various other aspects.
On the flip, there's been innovations in sports gear that 100% passed the rules at the time and was frowned upon, but has been integrated into the sport because of the benefits it provided (Typically safety in that world)

EDIT: Replied to another post and changed part of the reply to be more comprehensive to IT hardware

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
You have over 100 solo wins? Holy Shit. My best ever is second place I think. My kids can kick my butt, and after never crossing the finish line to a solo I drifted to save the world. Almost PL 100 in that mode.

Well, considering my current Solo win count is 112, and I've played over 3000 matches across all modes...it's really not all that impressive. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

file

(What's actually impressive...or sad, rather...is how many hours I've put into this game...)

Last edited:

Eotheod

Smaller screen, lower resolution and A12 Bionic still kicks most if not all mobile SoC's ass and it's last year's model even.
If anything the fault would lie with Nintendo for not releasing a more capable machine, but that's just how they've always rolled.
There was no possible SoC that wasn't Apple's that could feasibly work in a hand-held console hybrid and be sufficient for gaming at the time of Switch development. Only the latest Snapdragons are fire starters, and they do the job because of new driver development.

People have to remember the Switch is nearly three years old. It had to of started locking down technical aspects at least around 2015 maybe start of 2016 at the very latest. That kind of time frame should make it clear why they went with Nvidia alongside hella cheap Tegra chips. Seriously people look at the actual dates, it ain't that easy to just throw any old mobile SoC in and hope for the best. They got the best.

With regards to Fortnite performance, this is up to Epic to prioritise decent frame rates in affordane of graphical prowess. The unreal engine is quite a crazy engine, but it is also up and down on frame performance even from those who make the engine themselves. If you look at Switch patch notes you can see the devs are still tinkering and making the best they can while supporting the game, so that most definitely isn't helping lock down performance.

All in all, this sucks because it means limiting now the chance to tap into other player base numbers to get a game. That's the whole point of cross-play, is interconnecting your game so one platform doesn't die because it has less players then others. Why people are still so push back on this amazing concept is beyond me.

Top Bottom